Low Carb Diet

Options
124»

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low carb diet since the 13th. It is going well, but when I go out of town to see my family and friends it gets exponentially harder. I would like some motivation, helpful ideas for where to eat or what to cook, anyone else in my situation, Or just a sharing of information about the topic is fine too :)

Love to hear from some people about this. Add me as a friend, I love seeing how other people work out and seeing their progress is good motivation for me to do the same.

I'm doing the Dash diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Monday will be the end of the first two weeks AKA Phase 1 (no carbs) I've lost 7 lbs so far. I am going to my folks too and am concerned, plus my coworkers have been pushing sweets at me (makes me wonder if they have a bet going on. lmao.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Nobody is berating people for choosing to eat low carb. As I've said repeatedly in this thread, eat whatever floats your boat, it's all good.
    Berating? no. However some of our forum regulars think it's their place to MOCK low carb eaters' decisions.

Criticize and mock aren't really the same thing.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So sad when someone comes here for support, friendship and ideas (the whole reason "community" was created and gets mostly people fighting rather than the friendship, support and ideas she was looking for.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Nobody is berating people for choosing to eat low carb. As I've said repeatedly in this thread, eat whatever floats your boat, it's all good.
    Berating? no. However some of our forum regulars think it's their place to MOCK low carb eaters' decisions.

Criticize and mock aren't really the same thing.
    indeed, and I see a lot of both here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have been on a low carb diet since the 13th. It is going well, but when I go out of town to see my family and friends it gets exponentially harder. I would like some motivation, helpful ideas for where to eat or what to cook, anyone else in my situation, Or just a sharing of information about the topic is fine too :)

Love to hear from some people about this. Add me as a friend, I love seeing how other people work out and seeing their progress is good motivation for me to do the same.

I'm doing the Dash diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Monday will be the end of the first two weeks AKA Phase 1 (no carbs) I've lost 7 lbs so far. I am going to my folks too and am concerned, plus my coworkers have been pushing sweets at me (makes me wonder if they have a bet going on. lmao.
    DASH phase 1 is NOT "no carbs". It may be no grains, and it may be "no starchy carbs" but it is far from "no carbs". It's full of vegetables. I post this because these types of posts are part of the problem. They further misconceptions.
    That said, best of luck with the DASH diet. It seems like a great way to get your blood chemistry under control and learn to eat a more healthy diet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Okay, wildly claiming something contrary to my cited scientific studies ...

MSNBC is a "scientific study"? A website peddling supplements is a "scientific study"?

The first of your PubMed links I clicked on is titled "The Effects of Resistance Training on Parkinson's Disease".

Time to get the popcorn out...

:smokin:

the only point I make on low carb is that it is NOT responsible for weight loss..the calorie deficit that you create via eating low carb is what makes you lose weight…
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Not judging, just curious how many carbs do some of you do a day?

Thank you for your time.

I try to keep my net carbs under 30.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    You're better off joining one of the low carb groups here. On the forums, you will get naysayers and people who don't understand the low carb lifestyle.

This is a complicated way of admitting that the alleged benefits of low carb have been completely debunked.

Anybody wants to eat that way, it's totally fine with me. But make ridiculous health claims for the diet, and you're going to get pushback.

It works for me. I'm almost down 30 lbs. Been stalling because I've been sneaking some carbs in here and there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    You're better off joining one of the low carb groups here. On the forums, you will get naysayers and people who don't understand the low carb lifestyle.

This is a complicated way of admitting that the alleged benefits of low carb have been completely debunked.

Anybody wants to eat that way, it's totally fine with me. But make ridiculous health claims for the diet, and you're going to get pushback.

It works for me. I'm almost down 30 lbs. Been stalling because I've been sneaking some carbs in here and there.
    Hey! Well done! Congrats.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Hey! Well done! Congrats.

Thanks. Once the holidays are done, I hope to get hardcore back into keto again. I really enjoy eating that way.
  • overhaul12
    Options
    I eat a relatively low carb diet. Most days are 50-100g per day. But I also follow an "almost" paleo diet (I still eat dairy), so the carbs I eat come from veggies, fruits and yogurt. For ideas on low carb recipes there are a ton of websites available. You can also google paleo websites for recipes because many of them are naturally low carb. Good luck to you!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I eat a relatively low carb diet. Most days are 50-100g per day. But I also follow an "almost" paleo diet (I still eat dairy), so the carbs I eat come from veggies, fruits and yogurt. For ideas on low carb recipes there are a ton of websites available. You can also google paleo websites for recipes because many of them are naturally low carb. Good luck to you!

right, because our paleolithic ancestors never consumed carbs…..sigh...
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Low carb does not come with any health or weight loss benefits.

I haven't been able to read the whole thread yet...got hung up on this misinformation.

Thanks for the laugh!
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've done hard-core low carb (< 20 g / day), and it worked great, but I unfortunately didn't stick with it. I'm doing a low-ish carb diet now, pretty much avoiding refined carbs but eating anything else. I think if you do Atkins OWL, this is more or less where you wind up anyway.

For eating out, most of the time the menu includes meat and veggies, which leaves me happy. I'll bring along nuts and sugar-free protein bars to round things out if necessary.

Life is definitely easier if you're eating enough carbs to stay out of ketosis, because bouncing in and out of ketosis is pretty hard on the system.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Eh? What? Where did the poster say that? Oh. I know. They didn't.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone is wayyyyyyyyyyy to judgemental on her.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Eh? What? Where did the poster say that? Oh. I know. They didn't.

I believe the first post referred to paleo diet and low carb….just pointing out the irony implicit in this statement...
  • overhaul12
    Options

I'm not disagreeing with you a bit. I just notice a huge difference in how I feel when I cut out wheat. I still eat carbs...Fruits, vegetables and dairy. And I'm not preaching any type of diet. I guess I could have just said I eat meat, vegetables, fruits and dairy and end up eating around 100g carbs/day and I feel great and weight loss is an added plus? Sheesh. haha