This gallery explains why millions of Americans are obese…

Options

Replies

• Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Who is is say people 20 years ago weren't just eating two servings of the smaller portions?

Well I and the other people who were around 20 years ago might have some insight there ;)

Actually, I can pretty clearly remember the 90's as a period when portion sizes shot up. It was pretty obvious then with many of the big national restaurant chains exploding across the country. In my memory it was places like Chilis, Red Lobster, Olive Garden and the like with big plates and all you can eat specials that seemed to start a portion size arms race. My family was not beyond selecting return units on the merits of their huge portions and the ability to take something home when you left. However, it wasn't long before we adapted and meals just took longer to consume and less was coming home for the next day's lunch. It is funny to think back on it.

:huh: What makes you think I can't remember being 12?

People are obese for a variety of reasons including but not limited to: being uneducated about proper nutrition, having limited access to whole, fresh foods, living poverty, having an underlying psychological issues, and ALSO having access to excess.

This gallery explains nothing, in and of itself -- it's not comparing what people actually ate then vs. now. It's comparing portion sizes given by resturants.

I never said you couldn't remember being 12, but I was probably a bit more aware of the changes occurring in the market place as an adult than you were as a child given I had more prior decades to compare against. However, it was never my intent to claim anything about your age, I was just relaying some anecdotes of my personal experience.

That said, now that you bring up the point, I do find your reaction to the serving size gallery a bit strange. To say in your first sentence that nutrition education and access to excess are important and then to say that serving sizes explain nothing about obesity defies logic. Does something need to have 100% explanatory power to be worthy of consideration your book? Because if that is your criterion you must be awfully disappointed with our understanding of the world overall. Statistical explanation just doesn't work that way. What does explain anything in and of itself? It is also a strange criterion, because the gallery in question is obviously not a scientific publication, it is painfully obvious that it is just a heuristic tool that portrays how serving sizes of common food items have changed over time. Do you really think that people have not increased their consumption, on average, with increasing serving sizes? Studies show they definitely have, along with decreased their exercise levels. Those thing don't obviate one another.

This gallery do NOT explain why millions of Americans are obese (see the topic title). It explains that portions sizes have increased in the last 20 years. That's the point. Period.

Ahhhh...now I see, you are just an extremely literal person who was disappointed the OP did not actually 100% explain why millions people are obese. To each their own I guess...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The problem with the gallery is it doesn't actually show what it claims to show. The portion sizes 20 years ago are the same as they are today. In many cases portion sizes 20 years ago were BIGGER than they are today.

It based completely on 100% false information.

Why do you say this? Where do you get your data? I do admit this diagram is perhaps getting a bit dated and that restraint serving sizes probably started creeping up even a bit before the 90s, but I don't remember super sizing, stuffed crust pizza or all you can eat breadsticks from my early adulthood.
    McDonald's launched supersize fries and drinks in 1993. Even before that, they still sold 16, 21, and 32 oz sodas, just like today. They sold quarter pounders and double quarter pounders, just like today. Wendy's still sold their 3/4 pound triple 20 years ago. A local Italian restaurant my mom took me too sold Caesar salads in bowls the size of hubcaps (yes, 20 years ago.)

None of these things are new. In fact, most portion sizes have decreased over the last 5 years or so.

Like I said the gallery is getting a bit dated, but super sizing in 1993 is consistent with the 20 year claim. I want proof of the 32 oz sodas because I frequented Mcdonalds most of my life and they were never present in my region of the country until around the 90s. The closest thing in the 80's or 90's was the 7-11 big gulp. I also know for a fact that McDonalds and other fast food chains actually scaled up the drink sizes themselves in the 90s so that the old medium became the small, the old large became the medium and the old extra large became the large. They sold quarter pounders for sure but those are not an especially high calorie item. Double quarters maybe. The real point is that while you may be able to identify some large food items from the past, they were the exceptions. The restaurant with hubcap size salad bowls was special because it was unusual, that says nothing of average serving sizes available to you in restaurants in your region. If you want to really push the argument you could say that paleo humans often ate mammoths, but that is hardly support that mammoth size portions were the norm or should be the normal for us on a daily basis. Likewise, I agree some serving sizes have started to creep back down due In large part to stronger nutrition labeling laws and public attention in just the last few years, but like I said, the gallery is getting a bit outdated.
    It's 2013. The 90s was 20 years ago. I also frequented McDonald's as a teenager in the 90s, as it was on my way home from school, along with 7-11 and Dunkin' Donuts. I stopped in one of those 3 places every day. I got large drinks all the time. They were 32oz. The only thing that's changed is that McDonald's now uses plastic cups instead of the paper cups they used then.

Actually, 1993 was 20 years ago and most of the 1990s were less than that, and as I said, the gallery is now outdated. This gallery has been floating around since about 2004 when the ducumentary 'super size me' came out. Hence one could argue that the time window was more mid-80's. You are right that some types of serving sizes have been drifting down over the last few years, and that for some of your favorite items 32 oz larges were available by the mid 1990's, but that actually supports the gallery since the mid 1990s is in the approximate 20 year window. What you are absolutely wrong about is the silly statement that The only thing that changed is McDonalds switched to plastic cups. This is one of the best documented serving size transitions out there and even McDonalds doesn't argue it, they just say it's what people want. If you look at the largest drink sizes available at McDonalds restaurants it was 7oz in the mid 1950s, it moved up to 16oz in the 1960s, it climbed to 21 oz in the 1970s, it made a big leap to 32 oz in the early 1990s and then peaked at 42oz in the late 1990s. It shifted back down to 32 oz in recent years. This isn't about what you think you saw in 1990s, it's recorded history. Even the big gulp jumped increased from an original 32oz to a massive 64 oz in the 1990s. Just go look up the data. Also, you are still confusing an ability to find examples of large food in the past with the real issue made by the gallery, that larger portion sizes are now no longer rare but the norm.
    I have looked up the data. I was also a manager for McDonald's for several years. I'm very familiar with the product history. 42 oz drinks came out in 1988 as a limited time thing. They became a part of the menu as a "super size" drink in 1993. Nowhere near "the late 90s." They were phased out in 2004. Wendy's introduced their 42 oz drink in 1995.

I think your memory is not as good as you think it is.

And large portion sizes are an option, not the norm. I can still very easily find all the smaller portion sizes that are shown on that poster, pretty much anywhere.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    And large portion sizes are an option, not the norm. I can still very easily find all the smaller portion sizes that are shown on that poster, pretty much anywhere.

The reason the big serving options were brought in is because companies realized people were ordering multiples of the same item.

Over-eating always precedes over-serving.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Honestly, era shifts are the cause. Has nothing to do with serving sizes, imo. It is all about what is available to people now as compared to back in the 70s and how society is now compared to then. The fact that parents didn't have to worry so much about their kids taking a day to bike across town, or go fishing on their own in the woods. And the fact that school sports were actually competative and pushed children to be in shape to make a team and stuff. Honestly, I think it is just humans trying to catch up with the new advances that are available. Our species is often slow when it comes to huge era jumps, which can cause issues such as this.
  • Fishshtick
    Options

The reason the big serving options were brought in is because companies realized people were ordering multiples of the same item.

Over-eating always precedes over-serving.

That would be the worst business move in history as written since they could easily make more money selling multiple items than just larger ones,but you are right that they increased the serving sizes due to a market demand created by people who were more than happy already to over eat. The US has a very 'BIG' market in that regard and it is sort of funny how the big chains quickly got into an arms race for size and caloric density once they keyed in that size, salt and calories provided a bigger psychological reward to draw return customers than presentation, fresh ingredients or even much in the way of flavor.
  • Fishshtick
    Options
    The problem with the gallery is it doesn't actually show what it claims to show. The portion sizes 20 years ago are the same as they are today. In many cases portion sizes 20 years ago were BIGGER than they are today.

Why do you say this? Where do you get your data? I do admit this diagram is perhaps getting a bit dated and that restraint serving sizes probably started creeping up even a bit before the 90s, but I don't remember super sizing, stuffed crust pizza or all you can eat breadsticks from my early adulthood.
    McDonald's launched supersize fries and drinks in 1993. Even before that, they still sold 16, 21, and 32 oz sodas, just like today. They sold quarter pounders and double quarter pounders, just like today. Wendy's still sold their 3/4 pound triple 20 years ago. A local Italian restaurant my mom took me too sold Caesar salads in bowls the size of hubcaps (yes, 20 years ago.)

None of these things are new. In fact, most portion sizes have decreased over the last 5 years or so.

Like I said the gallery is getting a bit dated, but super sizing in 1993 is consistent with the 20 year claim. I want proof of the 32 oz sodas because I frequented Mcdonalds most of my life and they were never present in my region of the country until around the 90s. The closest thing in the 80's or 90's was the 7-11 big gulp. I also know for a fact that McDonalds and other fast food chains actually scaled up the drink sizes themselves in the 90s so that the old medium became the small, the old large became the medium and the old extra large became the large. They sold quarter pounders for sure but those are not an especially high calorie item. Double quarters maybe. The real point is that while you may be able to identify some large food items from the past, they were the exceptions. The restaurant with hubcap size salad bowls was special because it was unusual, that says nothing of average serving sizes available to you in restaurants in your region. If you want to really push the argument you could say that paleo humans often ate mammoths, but that is hardly support that mammoth size portions were the norm or should be the normal for us on a daily basis. Likewise, I agree some serving sizes have started to creep back down due In large part to stronger nutrition labeling laws and public attention in just the last few years, but like I said, the gallery is getting a bit outdated.
    It's 2013. The 90s was 20 years ago. I also frequented McDonald's as a teenager in the 90s, as it was on my way home from school, along with 7-11 and Dunkin' Donuts. I stopped in one of those 3 places every day. I got large drinks all the time. They were 32oz. The only thing that's changed is that McDonald's now uses plastic cups instead of the paper cups they used then.

Actually, 1993 was 20 years ago and most of the 1990s were less than that, and as I said, the gallery is now outdated. This gallery has been floating around since about 2004 when the ducumentary 'super size me' came out. Hence one could argue that the time window was more mid-80's. You are right that some types of serving sizes have been drifting down over the last few years, and that for some of your favorite items 32 oz larges were available by the mid 1990's, but that actually supports the gallery since the mid 1990s is in the approximate 20 year window. What you are absolutely wrong about is the silly statement that The only thing that changed is McDonalds switched to plastic cups. This is one of the best documented serving size transitions out there and even McDonalds doesn't argue it, they just say it's what people want. If you look at the largest drink sizes available at McDonalds restaurants it was 7oz in the mid 1950s, it moved up to 16oz in the 1960s, it climbed to 21 oz in the 1970s, it made a big leap to 32 oz in the early 1990s and then peaked at 42oz in the late 1990s. It shifted back down to 32 oz in recent years. This isn't about what you think you saw in 1990s, it's recorded history. Even the big gulp jumped increased from an original 32oz to a massive 64 oz in the 1990s. Just go look up the data. Also, you are still confusing an ability to find examples of large food in the past with the real issue made by the gallery, that larger portion sizes are now no longer rare but the norm.
    I have looked up the data. I was also a manager for McDonald's for several years. I'm very familiar with the product history. 42 oz drinks came out in 1988 as a limited time thing. They became a part of the menu as a "super size" drink in 1993. Nowhere near "the late 90s." They were phased out in 2004. Wendy's introduced their 42 oz drink in 1995.

I'm not using my memory on this, I am using published time lines. We must just be looking at different data. But with your past role as a McDonald's manager I have a bit better idea why you might be so defensive of the pattern.
  • tigersword
    Options

I'm not using my memory on this, I am using published time lines. We must just be looking at different data. But with your past role as a McDonald's manager I have a bit better idea why you might be so defensive of the pattern.
    I'm not defending anything. Published timelines clearly state supersize started in 1993, Wendy's started in 1995. Wendy's still sells their 42 oz drink. So does Taco Bell. McDonald's discontinued theirs about 10 years ago.

Here's a published timeline for you.

http://m.motherjones.com/media/2012/06/supersize-biggest-sodas-mcdonalds-big-gulp-chart
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, Google says McDonalds started supersizing in 1994 and dropped it in 2004. I was a teenager in the 90s; from what I remember, there was a lot more junk and a lot fewer healthy options in the 90s -- e.g., fast food salads 20 years ago were truly disgusting. We have things like Double Downs at KFC and cheese-stuffed crusts at Domino's now, sure, but I suspect people in 1993 were less likely to specifically seek out healthy options on a regular basis.

The comparison in the slides still has some value, but I doubt "20 years ago" is accurate for the smaller sizes -- probably more like 30/35 years ago.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Sweden, and I've noticed at the grocery store that small muffins are labeled "muffins" and big muffins are labeled "American muffins". I find this funny!

Fast food portions here are considerably smaller and more expensive than in the US. Fast food is considered an occasional treat, not a daily convenience.

:laugh: And that says everything that needs to be said in two paragraphs! :drinker:
    so what? You still have a choice as to what you eat? Again, you assume that people have somehow been programmed to eat crap and have no choice…..
    Hmmm to the 'so what' comment..?. as a kid I wasn't conditioned to save half of a hostess fruit pie for later. we ate the whole bag of fries and big mac... It never occured to us to save some for later. Now that we know to do that, it's too late. we're FAT.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    PortionDistortion-Consol12_zpsc7898261.jpg

Well, I can still order a smaller cheeseburger or french fry, and mini-bagels are still available. I was in my 20's 20 years ago, and I remember that Whoppers were just as big then as now. Soda sizes have changed though, order a large soda a fast food place now and they hand you a bucket!

I know that on average, restaurant portions have increased in size, but most still have the small versions available, its just that the larger ones are ordered more frequently.

We are fat because we eat too much and sit too much, in general...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious what the ingredients list for the whopper was then and now, and the big mac of course. And, of course, the sodas.... we know that in the U.S. anyway, the formulation changed in the mid 80s for many of them.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't see any clean eating propaganda, it's an illustration of portion sizes.
    fail. :laugh:

blurry pictures of food don't make people fat.

silly clean eating propaganda is silly.

QFT.

+1

I had 3 of these things today.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Sweden, and I've noticed at the grocery store that small muffins are labeled "muffins" and big muffins are labeled "American muffins". I find this funny!

Fast food portions here are considerably smaller and more expensive than in the US. Fast food is considered an occasional treat, not a daily convenience.

:laugh: And that says everything that needs to be said in two paragraphs! :drinker:
    so what? You still have a choice as to what you eat? Again, you assume that people have somehow been programmed to eat crap and have no choice…..
    Hmmm to the 'so what' comment..?. as a kid I wasn't conditioned to save half of a hostess fruit pie for later. we ate the whole bag of fries and big mac... It never occured to us to save some for later. Now that we know to do that, it's too late. we're FAT.

sigh that was not my point…there is nothing wrong with eating a big mac and fries…the point i was making that in life you have choicest make..you can choose to eat the big mac and fries every single day , or fried chicken, or whatever said food is..or you can choose to eat reasonably healthy, work out, and fit the ocassional treat into your day..

Justina and her ilk claim that the "evil corporations" have programmed us to eat all the crap they put out there and thus we have no free will / choice in the matter…when the food overloads say "feed" we feed, go home, and then wait for the feeding marching orders to resume…
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious what the ingredients list for the whopper was then and now, and the big mac of course. And, of course, the sodas.... we know that in the U.S. anyway, the formulation changed in the mid 80s for many of them.

The ingredients may have changed. Of course if they were last reformulated in the 80s then 20 years ago (in 1993) they had already been reformulated. I wouldn't be at all surprised though to find out there are a lot more preservatives, and GMOs than there was 1993.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It's a self-serving subset of portion sizes selected from one era next to a self-serving subset of portion sizes selected from a different era.

It is deliberately misleading, and therefore it is by definition propaganda.
  • tigersword
    Options

It's a self-serving subset of portion sizes selected from one era next to a self-serving subset of portion sizes selected from a different era.

It is deliberately misleading, and therefore it is by definition propaganda.
    This. Both portion sizes shown could be ordered 20 years ago, and both portion sizes shown could be ordered today.

Plus the calorie counts are outrageously exaggerated. A 21 oz mocha coffee with cream (even higher calorie than milk) from Dunkin Donuts has about 250 calories. So I'm not sure where they get a 16 oz coffee for over 300 calories that uses milk.

2 slices of medium pepperoni pizza from Dominos is about 500 calories, not 800 or whatever it's listing.

Propaganda is using false information or twisting facts to influence people. This photo is the exact definition.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I finally realize why I got so fat! I knew it wasn't my fault!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Anything that you eat, unless you are kidnapped or institutionalized, is your own responsibility.

I think that the increased portion phenomenon of the past 20 - 30 years is driven primarily by the increased industrialization of our food supply that resulted in the delegation of a lot of our food portioning to outside of the household, and by 2 big elements in America's culture: 1) our relentless pursuit of getting more for our money and 2) our aversion to wasting food. We want to get more for our money so we buy bigger portions – we hate to waste food, so we eat all of it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    Very true and so sad. We have lost a sense what is a normal size of anything because of marketing done by the food and restaurant industries. Thanks for reminder.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Anything that you eat, unless you are kidnapped or institutionalized, is your own responsibility.

I think that the increased portion phenomenon of the past 20 - 30 years is driven primarily by the increased industrialization of our food supply that resulted in the delegation of a lot of our food portioning to outside of the household, and by 2 big elements in America's culture: 1) our relentless pursuit of getting more for our money and 2) our aversion to wasting food. We want to get more for our money so we buy bigger portions – we hate to waste food, so we eat all of it.

We don't hate wasting food. 40% of all food produced is never eaten in the US and just gets thrown away. Surprising, considering 1 in 3 children do not get enough food every day. We have a problem that goes too deep to explain in a paragraph on a message board.