This gallery explains why millions of Americans are obese…

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

So, are you saying you think they would have included evidence that did not fit the conclusion they came to?

The documentary? Yes, they possibly left out evidence that didn't fit their conclusion. The peer reviewed research paper? Less likely but certainly not impossible. Should we throw out all scientific research because we can't know for certain? The best we can do is avoid research funded for obviously self-serving reasons, such as corporate funded research 'showing' a company's products are safe that are done by the company itself. And even then sometimes the research is accurate.

I was solely on the topic of the documentaries.

The research paper covers only fast food restaurants. I am willing to bet that there are PLENTY of grocery stores in all of those areas that offer healthy food at affordable prices. I'm not sure why you put that paper in - do you want government subsidy of fast food now?

ETA: Derp! I see it covers supermarkets too. Somehow I find it difficult to believe that there are not supermarkets available pretty much everywhere. Are they talking about people living in remote Alaska or something?

OK, read the abstract. One their requirements for a supermarket that offered 'healthy' foods was low-fat options be available. :noway: :happy:
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Please, no Keto epilepsy argument. This occurs every single time I speak on the regular posts. :-I

Hahaha, me and my mouth.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Keto was invented by doctors to treat epilepsy.

True, but that was before medication existed to control it. And many doctors seem more inclined to prescribe medication (if they exist) than to prescribe dietary changes. To be fair, it is much easier to get someone to comply with taking a pill every day than to comply with giving up a huge portion of the average American diet.

Plenty of people, especially children are still put on keto diets. Not all epilepsy is controllable through medication.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ETA: Derp! I see it covers supermarkets too. Somehow I find it difficult to believe that there are not supermarkets available pretty much everywhere. Are they talking about people living in remote Alaska or something?

Poor sections of inner cities are noticeably underserved. Go to the wrong end of, for example, Cleveland, and you will be shocked by what passes for a supermarket. Dirty, disgusting, very low quality boxed food, and minimal produce.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

So, are you saying you think they would have included evidence that did not fit the conclusion they came to?

The documentary? Yes, they possibly left out evidence that didn't fit their conclusion. The peer reviewed research paper? Less likely but certainly not impossible. Should we throw out all scientific research because we can't know for certain? The best we can do is avoid research funded for obviously self-serving reasons, such as corporate funded research 'showing' a company's products are safe that are done by the company itself. And even then sometimes the research is accurate.

The research paper covers only fast food restaurants. I am willing to bet that there are PLENTY of grocery stores in all of those areas that offer healthy food at affordable prices. I'm not sure why you put that paper in - do you want government subsidy of fast food now?

I find it difficult, to believe as well, but places like large swathes of Detroit are what they call 'food deserts' (nifty little expression, and yes, that one does have propaganda overtones!) where there simply are not real grocery stores.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Memes make people fat? I had no idea.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    Memes make people fat? I had no idea.

:laugh: Maybe if you spend the whole day motionless in your chair scrolling through pages of memes while noshing on cheesy puffs!

Come to think of it, half a day in this chair debating the possibly systemic causes of obesity probably isn't helping my cause, either...
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I find it difficult, to believe as well, but places like large swathes of Detroit are what they call 'food deserts' (nifty little expression, and yes, that one does have propaganda overtones!) where there simply are not real grocery stores.

Ya caught me still editing. One of the criteria they had for food that was 'healthy' was that it be low fat, or for there to be low fat options available. By now, we know that low fat =/= healthy. So I'm not really impressed with the article.

However, interesting about the Detroit food deserts. I suppose that is bound to happen when a city devolves as badly as Detroit has. I would venture to guess there is not a lot of quality ANYthing in those areas.
  • Jestinia
    Options

Ya caught me still editing. One of the criteria they had for food that was 'healthy' was that it be low fat, or for there to be low fat options available. By now, we know that low fat =/= healthy. So I'm not really impressed with the article.

However, interesting about the Detroit food deserts. I suppose that is bound to happen when a city devolves as badly as Detroit has. I would venture to guess there is not a lot of quality ANYthing in those areas.

Good point. Our government, unlike Sweden's, doesn't seem too keen on low carb solutions to health issues including obesity.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

right, get the government MORE involved in our lives...because they are already doing such a great job of ruining all the stuff they already control....

Ever read "The Jungle"? Government sucks. No regulations sucks far more.

I think it's funny that everyone always wants to talk about "The Jungle" when we bring up food and safety regulations. (Yes, I am aware that the establishment of the FDA was almost a direct result of this book.) Sinclair's actual intent with this work was to point out how exploited the average factory worker was back in the day, but the common takeaway is, "Omg, that's what happens to my food before it's packed?! Groooossssss!" There's never any thought or consideration beyond that--i.e. working conditions, secondary consequences, etc.

In other news, this thread is all over the place with its wild tangents and things. It's been an interesting read.

04.gif
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Couldn't have said it better myself. Who do you think pays for the subsidies the farmers already get?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Stinks of Big Government to me. :frown:

Nothing wrong with big government if it does what we want it to do.

But I better get off this part of the topic before I get my posts deleted.

the government that governs best governs least...

Tell that to children who lost limbs and lives in meat packing plants before the advent of child labor laws.

I don't really see what government has to do with that one way or the other…there was government back then and it happened…that should really be a local/state matter…
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i will say that this thread has totally derailed about four times….
  • ndj1979
    Options

Good point. Our government, unlike Sweden's, doesn't seem too keen on low carb solutions to health issues including obesity.

its not governments job to make someone healthy or not…if person A wants to work out and eat healthy fine; and if person b wants to eat ding dongs and sit on the couch all day than that is fine too…personal choice and personal responsibility..but I guess these are concepts that are 'old fashioned' now a days…

and I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars going to "teach" people how to be healthy or tell them what food to eat...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Tell that to children who lost limbs and lives in meat packing plants before the advent of child labor laws.

I don't really see what government has to do with that one way or the other…there was government back then and it happened…that should really be a local/state matter…

There was less gov't back then, and people opposed the increased regulations on the grounds that more gov't was bad.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    ...and I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars going to "teach" people how to be healthy or tell them what food to eat...

Then even more of your tax dollars will go to fix their inevitable medical problems.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ...and I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars going to "teach" people how to be healthy or tell them what food to eat...

Then even more of your tax dollars will go to fix their inevitable medical problems.

my tax dollars should have nothing to do with health care.

I mean if we want to get all constitutional and what not the the government has no constitutional authority to be involved in health care or medicine. but we should probably not go down that road either…
  • ndj1979
    Options

There was less gov't back then, and people opposed the increased regulations on the grounds that more gov't was bad.

funny, how they were dead on...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

That's fine.

But the reality is they do.

The only option available to you is to influence how they are spent.
  • ndj1979
    Options

That's fine.

But the reality is they do.

The only option available to you is to influence how they are spent.

they do because they are confiscated from my by the gov and then redistributed as they see fit…