Clean eating; what is it really?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nothing, with the exception of low carb diets, create such controversy.

I consider myself a fairly clean eater. But, Ive been known to open a bag of chili cheese Fritos once in a while, or have a hotdog.

For each individual, it kinda has a different meaning, which is why it can't be defined.

I will say this, I eat clean compared to almost everyone I know, who eat like absolute crap, IMO. Like, they have a Pepsi in the morning for breakfast, and follow that with a jelly donut. I would not consider that a clean eater. And, that's not where it ends for them. Their whole day is kinda like that. OTOH, I will have two eggs with spinach and cheese for breakfast. I may have 2 cans if tuna, a banana and a yogurt for lunch. When comparing diets with people that don't care about what they eat and mine, I am a clean eater. When comparing my diet with many of you on this forum that track their food and watch their macros and workout, it's hard to say one persons diet is better than the others if they are getting the results they want.

The problem with this question is that the question is flawed. It's like asking, what does being wealthy mean? Everyone has a different definition. Some don't equate wealth with money. Others only consider money to be the main measure. Still others, may think of wealth more as their potential; meaning, if they needed money, they could get it. But, they are content with what they have and where they are. So, that's my take on this question.

If you ask me, I eat clean. But, that includes ice cream, occasionally some chips, sometimes even a cheeseburger and beer. And, I love pizza. Is pizza dirty or clean? It depends on your definition.

I view nutrition as an overall thing, and not what I eat in one meal, but what I ate over the past month. From a macro point of view, I am a very clean eater. But, at any given point in time, you may find me in a Mexican restaurant downing chips and salsa, cervezas, and a chimichanga. It's not against the law. And, I refuse to be labeled for my food choices. Overall, I am healthy and I am hitting all my goals. That's what is important here. Defining something that is not definable is stupid.[b/]

Well thought out and well written. the pretty much describes my personal approach. The last line is the definitive statement and is why "clean eating" is such a lightning rod topic.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I consider myself a fairly clean eater. But, Ive been known to open a bag of chili cheese Fritos once in a while, or have a hotdog.

For each individual, it kinda has a different meaning, which is why it can't be defined.

I will say this, I eat clean compared to almost everyone I know, who eat like absolute crap, IMO. Like, they have a Pepsi in the morning for breakfast, and follow that with a jelly donut. I would not consider that a clean eater. And, that's not where it ends for them. Their whole day is kinda like that. OTOH, I will have two eggs with spinach and cheese for breakfast. I may have 2 cans if tuna, a banana and a yogurt for lunch. When comparing diets with people that don't care about what they eat and mine, I am a clean eater. When comparing my diet with many of you on this forum that track their food and watch their macros and workout, it's hard to say one persons diet is better than the others if they are getting the results they want.

The problem with this question is that the question is flawed. It's like asking, what does being wealthy mean? Everyone has a different definition. Some don't equate wealth with money. Others only consider money to be the main measure. Still others, may think of wealth more as their potential; meaning, if they needed money, they could get it. But, they are content with what they have and where they are. So, that's my take on this question.

If you ask me, I eat clean. But, that includes ice cream, occasionally some chips, sometimes even a cheeseburger and beer. And, I love pizza. Is pizza dirty or clean? It depends on your definition.

I view nutrition as an overall thing, and not what I eat in one meal, but what I ate over the past month. From a macro point of view, I am a very clean eater. But, at any given point in time, you may find me in a Mexican restaurant downing chips and salsa, cervezas, and a chimichanga. It's not against the law. And, I refuse to be labeled for my food choices. Overall, I am healthy and I am hitting all my goals. That's what is important here. Defining something that is not definable is stupid.
    Well put!

"Clean eating" is a bit like "Lifting heavy"
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I view nutrition as an overall thing, and not what I eat in one meal, but what I ate over the past month. From a macro point of view, I am a very clean eater. But, at any given point in time, you may find me in a Mexican restaurant downing chips and salsa, cervezas, and a chimichanga. It's not against the law. And, I refuse to be labeled for my food choices. Overall, I am healthy and I am hitting all my goals. That's what is important here. Defining something that is not definable is stupid.
    Well put!

I don't see the comparasion of the two at all. Lifting heavy is heavy to that persons ability. You can still define "heavy", I believe it is the amount of weight you can lift 8 reps or less range to failure. While that weight may vary, if you are lifting 20 reps, that's not considered heavy lifting.
    Clean eating is eating food that is "clean". Yet no one can define exactly what clean is. Most people are saying it comes down to personal choice.

I asked earlier in the thread (and did not receive an answer) - what is the point of labelling yourself as a clean eater if it means something different to everyone? It literally has no meaning. If you are a vegetarian and identify yourself as one, people know that you do not eat meat products and (hopefully) do not serve or offer you such. For someone who describes themself as a clean eater - well I'm still not sure what I can serve you.

I just don't understand the need for a label that can't be defined.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    people who start down the "clean eating" path are some of the first to go.

I've noticed this, too.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    still waiting on a definition . . .

here's one:

any dietary plan that excludes certain foods for arbitrary and non-scientific reasons, so that the dieter can feel smug and superior to those who refuse to exclude those foods.

how's that?

Yeah, yeah. I like that one.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I asked earlier in the thread (and did not receive an answer) - what is the point of labelling yourself as a clean eater if it means something different to everyone? It literally has no meaning. If you are a vegetarian and identify yourself as one, people know that you do not eat meat products and (hopefully) do not serve or offer you such.

I tried to explain earlier that even "vegetarian" means different things to different people. Here's another example: some people think that other people cannot call themselves vegan if they eat honey.

Anyone can call themselves clean eaters, using whatever personal criteria they like. As RuPaul says, "What other people think of me is none of my business." And the opposite is true, what I think about clean eating has nothing to do with you.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Well put!

I don't see the comparasion of the two at all. Lifting heavy is heavy to that persons ability. You can still define "heavy", I believe it is the amount of weight you can lift 8 reps or less range to failure. While that weight may vary, if you are lifting 20 reps, that's not considered heavy lifting.
    Clean eating is eating food that is "clean". Yet no one can define exactly what clean is. Most people are saying it comes down to personal choice.

I asked earlier in the thread (and did not receive an answer) - what is the point of labelling yourself as a clean eater if it means something different to everyone? It literally has no meaning. If you are a vegetarian and identify yourself as one, people know that you do not eat meat products and (hopefully) do not serve or offer you such. For someone who describes themself as a clean eater - well I'm still not sure what I can serve you.

I just don't understand the need for a label that can't be defined.

People love their labels. Actual definitions trouble few.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I asked earlier in the thread (and did not receive an answer) - what is the point of labelling yourself as a clean eater if it means something different to everyone? It literally has no meaning. If you are a vegetarian and identify yourself as one, people know that you do not eat meat products and (hopefully) do not serve or offer you such.

I tried to explain earlier that even "vegetarian" means different things to different people. Here's another example: some people think that other people cannot call themselves vegan if they eat honey.

Anyone can call themselves clean eaters, using whatever personal criteria they like. As RuPaul says, "What other people think of me is none of my business." And the opposite is true, what I think about clean eating has nothing to do with you.

People may use the term "vegetarian" incorrectly but that doesn't change the meaning. Vegetarians do not eat animals or products derived from dead animal* (edited for clarity) period. A vegetarian who eats fish or poultry is not a vegetarian even if they call themself that. I can call myself a professional athlete but that does not make it true.
    When I go to a restaurant and order a vegetarian dish, there should be no meat or derivatives from dead animals *(edited for clarity) in it. It's not open for interpretation. In fact, including non-vegetarian ingredients and having that discovered could cause a lot of problems for the business.
    (And vegans do not eat honey).

I don't care who calls themself a clean eater or not, I am just trying to understand the point of why if it means different things to different people.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

People may use the term "vegetarian" incorrectly but that doesn't change the meaning. Vegetarians do not eat animals or animal products period. A vegetarian who eats fish or poultry is not a vegetarian even if they call themself that. I can call myself a professional athlete but that does not make it true.
    When I go to a restaurant and order a vegetarian dish, there should be no meat or meat products in it. It's not open for interpretation. In fact, including non-vegetarian ingredients and having that discovered could cause a lot of problems for the business.

I don't care who calls themself a clean eater or not, I am just trying to understand the point of why if it means different things to different people.
    Actually, many vegetarians eat animal "products" such as milk and other dairy. They don't eat animal MEAT.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

People may use the term "vegetarian" incorrectly but that doesn't change the meaning. Vegetarians do not eat animals or animal products period. A vegetarian who eats fish or poultry is not a vegetarian even if they call themself that. I can call myself a professional athlete but that does not make it true.
    When I go to a restaurant and order a vegetarian dish, there should be no meat or meat products in it. It's not open for interpretation. In fact, including non-vegetarian ingredients and having that discovered could cause a lot of problems for the business.

Actually, many vegetarians eat animal "products" such as milk and other dairy. They don't eat animal MEAT.

Yes. You are right. I used the wrong word. I was trying to use something to cover the bone broth, geletin etc products. Poor choice. I realized it but figured it was too late to edit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I've noticed this, too.
    And guess what? The calorie counters are some of the first to go. And the IFFYMs" and every other type of eater.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

here's one:

any dietary plan that excludes certain foods for arbitrary and non-scientific reasons, so that the dieter can feel smug and superior to those who refuse to exclude those foods.

how's that?

Wow. Seems rude is the new norm here. Glad you like it.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

here's one:

how's that?

To be honest, most people who eat what they consider 'clean' food ARE smug. I would say you are one of the exceptions. But I still liked his post. Your mileage may vary.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is silly to me, but if it has meaning to others then fair enough, but its just my opinion. You can achieve your goals by having a balanced diet which includes processed and minimally processed foods.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I always wash my fruits and vegetables before I eat them. Haven't figured out how to clean my ice cream yet - the hot water makes it kind of runny and gross - but I'm pretty good at cleaning the bowl, so I hope that will suffice and I won't die.

Ok, seriously... My definition of "clean eating" is probably pretty different from others'. I have a variety of chemical sensitivities for non-genetic reasons. About 25 years ago, I had to be VERY strict about what I ate. "Clean" for me meant eating only certain brands, only limited quantities, only at certain places, and avoiding a whole bunch of different foods altogether. Examples - I couldn't eat beef, white bread, apples, or celery. The "organic" crackers and the "healthy" fresh carrot/beet/whatever juice at my local co-op would send me straight to Grumpy Pukey Migraine Town. A can a day of Coke (Classic or Diet, but not "new formula" or flavored) was fine; Pepsi was not an option.

Skipping the details, I got better. I have a LOT more freedom with what I eat, and that's very enjoyable to me. But my definition of "clean eating" is still "don't eat stuff that makes me hurt, makes me tired, makes me b!tchy, or makes me puke." YMMV.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

here's one:

how's that?

To be honest, most people who eat what they consider 'clean' food ARE smug. I would say you are one of the exceptions. But I still liked his post. Your mileage may vary.
    Actually, I find the folks who mock clean eating pretty smug. I don't get why folks can't just let others eat the way they want. It's not dangerous. It's not unhealthy. Why mock others' choices? smh
  • QuietBloom
    Options

here's one:

how's that?

Actually, I find the folks who mock clean eating pretty smug. I don't get why folks can't just let others eat the way they want. It's not dangerous. It's not unhealthy. Why mock others' choices? smh

I agree that people should eat what they want. But leaving out entire food groups is not healthy. After endless rounds of people preaching clean eating to newbies, when there isn't any proof that clean eating does anything other than make the person feel good about themselves, and may even be harmful, I get a little snarky. And so do others.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My definition of "clean eating" is still "don't eat stuff that makes me hurt, makes me tired, makes me b!tchy, or makes me puke." YMMV.
    I love this.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

It's not dangerous. It's not unhealthy. Why mock others' choices? smh

Well, for me, this is the rub right here. What is not dangerous or not unhealthy? "Clean Eating" has no definition that is universally accepted and, as evidenced by the various comments in this thread, is all over the block. In my opinion, it is a useless and kind of stupid label and I don't see how anyone can make the statement that it is not dangerous or unhealthy when "it" can't seem to be defined.

I personally get snarky about it because I'm sick of "Clean Eating" getting preached when no one knows what it is but will passionately promote it. It's tiresome and ridiculous in my humble opinion.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I've noticed this, too.
    And guess what? The calorie counters are some of the first to go. And the IFFYMs" and every other type of eater.

I agree with you here, statistically most of us here will fail at long term success, regardless of what plan/style of eating we follow for maintenance. Kind of depressing to think about :frown: