Clean eating; what is it really?

Options
123457»

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

It's not dangerous. It's not unhealthy. Why mock others' choices? smh

Well, for me, this is the rub right here. What is not dangerous or not unhealthy? "Clean Eating" has no definition that is universally accepted and, as evidenced by the various comments in this thread, is all over the block. In my opinion, it is a useless and kind of stupid label and I don't see how anyone can make the statement that it is not dangerous or unhealthy when "it" can't seem to be defined.

I personally get snarky about it because I'm sick of "Clean Eating" getting preached when no one knows what it is but will passionately promote it. It's tiresome and ridiculous in my humble opinion.

- i don't like the false claims that it cures medical problems that modern science says can't be cured by dietary changes.
    - i don't like the false claims that people who don't eat clean are necessarily going to get medical problems as a result.
    - i don't like the fact that it leads to obsessive food behavior that can easily turn into full blown eating disorders.
    - i don't like the smugness of the clean eaters.
    - i don't like the food shaming.
    - i don't like how it can lead newbs astray when they should be focusing on calorie counting.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Actually, I find the folks who mock clean eating pretty smug. I don't get why folks can't just let others eat the way they want. It's not dangerous. It's not unhealthy. Why mock others' choices? smh
    [/quote]

Yeah, I agree with this. Reading through this thread and others as well, people are saying what clean eating means to them, and the ones who sound smug and looking down their noses, are those mocking them for not having a perfect definition of the term.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Actually, I find the folks who mock clean eating pretty smug. I don't get why folks can't just let others eat the way they want. It's not dangerous. It's not unhealthy. Why mock others' choices? smh

Yeah, I agree with this. Reading through this thread and others as well, people are saying what clean eating means to them, and the ones who sound smug and looking down their noses, are those mocking them for not having a perfect definition of the term.

Part of the reason why is there's a LOT of threads just like this and it gets tiring. And they're ALL the same. Yes, we all have the choice to not click on a thread, but it's one of those subjects that just keeps sucking you in, no matter how much it makes you want scream in agony when you read it :explode:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

It's not dangerous. It's not unhealthy. Why mock others' choices? smh

Well, for me, this is the rub right here. What is not dangerous or not unhealthy? "Clean Eating" has no definition that is universally accepted and, as evidenced by the various comments in this thread, is all over the block. In my opinion, it is a useless and kind of stupid label and I don't see how anyone can make the statement that it is not dangerous or unhealthy when "it" can't seem to be defined.

I personally get snarky about it because I'm sick of "Clean Eating" getting preached when no one knows what it is but will passionately promote it. It's tiresome and ridiculous in my humble opinion.
    And we're all entitled to those.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    still waiting on a definition . . .

here's one:

any dietary plan that excludes certain foods for arbitrary and non-scientific reasons, so that the dieter can feel smug and superior to those who refuse to exclude those foods.

how's that?

Yeah, yeah. I like that one.
    Wow. Seems rude is the new norm here. Glad you like it.

To be honest, most people who eat what they consider 'clean' food ARE smug. I would say you are one of the exceptions. But I still liked his post. Your mileage may vary.
    Actually, I find the folks who mock clean eating pretty smug. I don't get why folks can't just let others eat the way they want. It's not dangerous. It's not unhealthy. Why mock others' choices? smh

I agree that people should eat what they want. But leaving out entire food groups is not healthy. After endless rounds of people preaching clean eating to newbies, when there isn't any proof that clean eating does anything other than make the person feel good about themselves, and may even be harmful, I get a little snarky. And so do others.
    1. Clean eating means leaving out entire food groups? My eating would probably be labeled "clean" by most definitions and I know I've had every food group today. That said, MANY folks on here leave out vegetables except as garnish. And many folks are healthy vegetarians.
    2. Why isn't it healthy? Why would it be harmful? Why would it be more harmful than, say, eating all the heavily processed packaged convenience foods that so many here revere?
    Nevermind. Don't bother.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    when there isn't any proof that clean eating does anything other than make the person feel good about themselves, and may even be harmful, I get a little snarky. And so do others.

Feeling good about myself is when I do my best with health and fitness.

Though I don't think any one approach will work for all people all the time. Clean eating shouldn't be promoted as the only way. For some, eating a bit of ice cream every day doesn't work. For some, it's exactly what's needed. Each person really needs to understand themselves to succeed.