Gary Taubes

Options
12345679»

Replies

• caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I hope every American learns how to cook from scratch and doesnt use substitutes. I don't completely trust our FDA

What if we simply hate the existence of the FDA on general principle?
    In my opinion the only thing they could do good is ban certain things like HFCS

Oh god.

The funny thing is that the poster you quoted wants to abolish the FDA entirely, while you want to greatly expand their role by banning harmless substances.
    I said I don't completely agree with the FDA. HFCS is harmful ... FDA is a monopoly and a bloated one

HFCS is harmful in what context and at what dose? What support do you have for your conclusion?
    There is so much I could go into as why HFCS is evil. But I will say this is good for the economy and feeding people which stops famine. However it is terrible for people in the long run and causes chornic health problems that people tend not to correlate with the over consumption of HFCS. HFCS is good to not support human trafficing in sugar cane fields, it is cheaper to purcahse. But we are better off without it
    I will always buy (when possible) real sugar. I will make desserts from scratch when I can, and I haven't had a soda in 5 months. I had a yogurt the other day and it tasted terrible too sweet it contained fructose.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I hope every American learns how to cook from scratch and doesnt use substitutes. I don't completely trust our FDA

Oh god.

The funny thing is that the poster you quoted wants to abolish the FDA entirely, while you want to greatly expand their role by banning harmless substances.
    I said I don't completely agree with the FDA. HFCS is harmful ... FDA is a monopoly and a bloated one

HFCS is harmful in what context and at what dose? What support do you have for your conclusion?
    There is so much I could go into as why HFCS is evil. But I will say this is good for the economy and feeding people which stops famine. However it is terrible for people in the long run and causes chornic health problems that people tend not to correlate with the over consumption of HFCS. HFCS is good to not support human trafficing in sugar cane fields, it is cheaper to purcahse. But we are better off without it
    I will always buy (when possible) real sugar. I will make desserts from scratch when I can, and I haven't had a soda in 5 months. I had a yogurt the other day and it tasted terrible too sweet it contained fructose.

LMAO and that real sugar you buy, doesn't contain fructose? What are you buying glucose syrup?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Oh god.

LMAO and that real sugar you buy, doesn't contain fructose? What are you buying glucose syrup?

Glad you said it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Oh god.

Yeah I feel the same way about apples, with all that fructose. Oh and the "real sugar" which is half fructose.

The HFCS used in soft drinks is 55% fructose. Table sugar is 50% fructose. So.. yeah.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Oh god.

Are you basing your conclusions on blogs of people who are trying to sell you books/programs/something or actual science?So ignoring the possible business/ethical issues, you're saying that regular sugar is fine, but HFCS is evil? Do you understand what HFCS actually is? I mean, at a molecular level?
  • caminoslo
    Options

Oh god.

Are you basing your conclusions on blogs of people who are trying to sell you books/programs/something or actual science?So ignoring the possible business/ethical issues, you're saying that regular sugar is fine, but HFCS is evil? Do you understand what HFCS actually is? I mean, at a molecular level?
    I will never be a fool to pay for someones "secrets" to weight loss, especially in this day and age where information is all over the web to do tons and tons of research and check and recheck information and then live by what I find is true and seeing real ressults. With that said, if I can say I learned ANYTHING in college it was to be a critical thinker and not believe everything you read in a newspaper like the New York Times.
    For your other question this summer pepsi, (by consumer demand) will be using real sugar in cherry and vanilla pepsi. I will now be more open to having an occasionally soda instead of always buying seltzer water like i currently do. Sugar the better of the two evils as its found in real fruit.
    But HFCS was invented in the 1970s under the Nixon Administration to stablize food prices, this was the start of obesity and diabetes. Fat was out and diets were in. Food does not taste so good without fat, so they put HFCS in, it was cheaper sweeter and addicting.
    On a molecular level HFCS is man made and highly subsidized by our governemnt and thats all I need to know which is a red flag for no good.
  • caminoslo
    Options

Oh god.

Yeah I feel the same way about apples, with all that fructose. Oh and the "real sugar" which is half fructose.

The HFCS used in soft drinks is 55% fructose. Table sugar is 50% fructose. So.. yeah.
    Its easier to gorge on products with HFCS than it is with real sugar such as fresh peach from a tree.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Oh god.

I will never be a fool to pay for someones "secrets" to weight loss, especially in this day and age where information is all over the web to do tons and tons of research and check and recheck information and then live by what I find is true and seeing real ressults. With that said, if I can say I learned ANYTHING in college it was to be a critical thinker and not believe everything you read in a newspaper like the New York Times.
    For your other question this summer pepsi, (by consumer demand) will be using real sugar in cherry and vanilla pepsi. I will now be more open to having an occasionally soda instead of always buying seltzer water like i currently do. Sugar the better of the two evils as its found in real fruit.
    But HFCS was invented in the 1970s under the Nixon Administration to stablize food prices, this was the start of obesity and diabetes. Fat was out and diets were in.
    On a molecular level HFCS is man made and highly subsidized by our governemnt and thats all I need to know which is a red flag for no good.
    So no obese people before 1970? No diabetes before 1970? Sounds like a presentation straight from Lustig.
    Did people, overall, do less physical labor type work after 1970? Were kids less active with the invention of video games in the 1980's? Did cheaper and more available electronic entertainment devices, like VCR's, keep people indoors and less active over time?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Oh god.

Its easier to gorge on products with HFCS than it is with real sugar such as fresh peach from a tree.
    Speak for yourself, I could easily eat a bucket or two full of peaches. That sweet nectar of the gods calls to me in my sleep
  • caminoslo
    Options

Oh god.

Speak for yourself, I could easily eat a bucket or two full of peaches. That sweet nectar of the gods calls to me in my sleep
    I have a peach tree I over ate gorge I'll agree with you but I sure had a lot of fiber to and stomach ache to deal with, im careful about how much i eat
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Oh god.

But HFCS was invented in the 1970s under the Nixon Administration to stablize food prices, this was the start of obesity and diabetes. Fat was out and diets were in. Food does not taste so good without fat, so they put HFCS in, it was cheaper sweeter and addicting.
    This would make sense except for the fact that none of it is true. HFCS was created in 1957, long before the Nixon administration. It was actually further developed for mass marketing by Japan, which still has nothing to do with the Nixon administration.

As for Pepsi, both Coke and Pepsi sell "throwback" versions of their sodas with regular sugar as limited time offers, and they have for years. Also, HFCS isn't artificial. They take glucose from corn, then blend it with fructose. That's all HFCS is, you could make it at home, just buy some glucose tablets, and fructose tablets, and mix them, together. Boom, HFCS.

I think you may need a refresher on your critical thinking skills.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Also, HFCS isn't artificial. They take glucose from corn, then blend it with fructose.

They take starch from corn, break it down into glucose enzymatically then isomerise part of the glucose to fructose. It wouldn't pass an advertising test as "natural" in the UK but the fructose and glucose that result are the same molecules as you would find in an apple.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Also, HFCS isn't artificial. They take glucose from corn, then blend it with fructose.

They take starch from corn, break it down into glucose enzymatically then isomerise part of the glucose to fructose. It wouldn't pass an advertising test as "natural" in the UK but the fructose and glucose that result are the same molecules as you would find in an apple.
    I believe that point is up for debate. The enzyme used is amylase, which is a naturally occurring enzyme that also is a major part of the human digestive system. In humans, amylase breaks starch down into glucose and fructose. HFCS manufacturers will use amylase naturally secreted by bacteria to break the corn starch down.

So while I will agree that it is a processed food, I still stand by the fact that it consists of all natural ingredients.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So while I will agree that it is a processed food, I still stand by the fact that it consists of all natural ingredients.

The major ingredient is indeed natural, my only point was that " It wouldn't pass an advertising test as "natural" in the UK " because the processing isn't natural - ie it isn't what the public would expect given that description.

You don't find HFCS in nature, but the glucose and fructose in it are the same as any other glucose and fructose.