What are your REALISTIC goals for 2014?

Options
I'm trying to figure out where I want to be at through-out the coming year and I was wondering what you all were planning as far as the scale goes (or even just your fitness goals?)

Right now I'm at 228 (thank you for the 10 extra lbs holidays!) and by my birthday in Feb I want to be 200 (or grazing onederland).
Does this sound realistic to you guys? I have 9 weeks for that goal. That's about 3 lbs a week. Is that borderline too much to lose or should I rethink this goal?

My next goal after I reach that is going to be 20 more lbs by the end of May (not as ambitious bc I'll be in school then).

So I'm at about 50 lbs by June but I'm not sure how much I want to lose from there.

Replies

• tegalicious
    Options
    To run 13.1 miles.
  • kbitikofer
    kbitikofer Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My goal for 2014 is to be back down to about 145lbs by my birthday in March! :smile:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    My goal is to maintain my weight. I have a lot of eating restrictions and it makes it difficult to keep weight on. MFP is a really good way to keep tabs on my calories burned (1/2 hour elliptical per day, can't afford more calories burned than that!), and also to count and make sure I take enough calories in. It's funny, until a year ago I was using MFP to lose a few pounds and then maintain without gaining. Now one year later it's flipped the other way around.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    drop another point or two of my body fat...since I can't seem losing any weight (on the scale)....:sad:
  • GabeLaverty
    GabeLaverty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you've lost weight in the past, and how hard you plan on working. I would approach it like you would apply to college: Have a safety goal, and a reach goal.
    I would set your reach goal at 30 pounds, but if you're not on track to reach that, it could be demotivating. That's why you should have a safety goal. Maybe 15-20 lbs? 3 lbs a week can be challenging, but doable if you work hard at it. Work hard, but try to stay on track to lose at that 1-2 lbs a week. It seems very small, but losing 10 lbs and keeping it off makes a way bigger difference than losing 30 and gaining it all back.
    The other part of being realistic is this: Don't forget the law of diminishing returns. As you lose weight, your body becomes more efficient. The same exercises will burn fewer calories, and your basal metabolic rate (the rate you burn calories naturally) will decrease -- unless you increase the intensity of exercise over time and incorporate strength training.
    Therefore, it's important to plan for losing more weight early on, and less weight later on. You might easily lose the 3 lbs a week for the first 2 weeks, but aim for losing only 1-2 later in the cycle.

The most important part -- when you reach your goal date, evaluate where you are and how you did. Don't just stop at "Hooray I reached my goal" or "dang, I missed my goal!" Figure out what you did well, and figure out where you might need help or to work a little harder. Then set a new goal based on where you are that day, and keep looking forward.

Good luck with your 2014 goal!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Right now I am at 204 (well 203.8 but who's counting)....my one year anniversary on MFP is March 25 and I *will* be 199 or lower on that date.

As for the entire year of 2014, I hope to make it to 180 at least, in the next year, if not lower. I Just realized today that's not quite 24 lb to lose before hitting 180 and it made me feel awesome, as I haven't been that weight at 5'8" since I was 13 years old and in 7th grade. I am 37 now.

Anyway...yeah...I would like to be in the 190s or 180s by summer and when I purchase a new swimsuit I hope it will be a size 14.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i would like to run 2250 miles in the year and do a race of somesort each month.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've made a zillion of them! But here are my health/fitness ones:

1) Run/walk/hike 1,000 miles in 2014. Only walks taken FOR THE SAKE OF WALKING count... ie window shopping does not count. All hikes and runs count, obviously.

2) Complete the 100 push up challenge. This last year I ran a half marathon when I never dreamed I'd be able to do a 5k without stopping, let alone a HM. 100 push ups in one set feels impossible right now, but I know my body will get there!

3) Register (or volunteer) for a run every month - great activity with friends, and a great way to support the community

4) No weight gain :) turns out, my weight loss has been stupid slow (but consistent!), so I'm happy to just continue in that trend!
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i would like to run 2250 miles in the year and do a race of somesort each month.

Holy smokes, 2250! A steep goal. You go girl. That's amazing.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Below 150 pounds, and able to jog 3 miles (knees refuse to jog over 200). Also? sub 10min/mile run.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 73 pounds. I give myself until December 31, 2014. If I lose two pounds a week, that is about 40+ or - weeks. But I imagine there will be set backs and plateaus. I am keeping my mind on the end goal knowing I will have to prepare myself for maintaining. I am using these boards to try to gain the support I need to say no, simply and politely to food in social situations.
  • albayin
    Options

that's like running from san diego to florida, almost. :flowerforyou:
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    January is the beginning of my third year on MFP. My goal is to lose the last of the weight- a total of 65 pounds, I have 13-15lbs to go! It's been slow and steady...but I'll get there!
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

that's like running from san diego to flordida, almost. :flowerforyou:

That is almost 6.2 miles per day. Is that really doable. I am not sure the body is designed for that kind of beating. Specifically the knees. I am by no means a runner so maybe this is doable, but I run 3 times per week and only do 2 - 3 mile runs and 1 - 6, and much more than that and my knees are killing me!
  • albayin
    Options

That is almost 6.2 miles per day. Is that really doable. I am not sure the body is designed for that kind of beating. Specifically the knees. I am by no means a runner so maybe this is doable, but I run 3 times per week and only do 2 - 3 mile runs and 1 - 6, and much more than that and my knees are killing me!

i am not trying to judge here but I heard some serious marathon runners train and target for 200 miles a month, for me that's a LOT...
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

i am not trying to judge here but I heard some serious marathon runners train and target for 200 miles a month, for me that's a LOT...

Yea 6.2 a day puts you right in that 190 range... I think that is really a lot even for marathon runners.
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would like to maintain my weight for the most part. Cut more body fat and add more muscle. I'm currently slowly upping my cals to find my maintenance. I also would like to complete P90X3 and another round of P90X.
  • onetooblown
    onetooblown Posts: 115 Member
    Options
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    1. Lose about 10 pounds of fat (if I gain 10 in muscle, even better)
    2. Maintain my weight
    3. Run a half marathon
    4. Find a fun sport (jujitsu, rock climbing, triathlons etc?? I don't know, but I know I need something like that to stay active)
    5. Read and review 26 books
    6. Knit myself a sweater.
  • onetooblown
    onetooblown Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My goal for 2014 is to be back down to about 145lbs by my birthday in March! :smile:

Yay for birthday goals! lol If (when) I reach my goal I'll be 40 lbs down from my last bday!!