Anyone in or near 40's?

Options

Replies

• 48 years old .

Decided this was the year to lose weight , if i can stick to it more than 3 days i know i have cracked it ....lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks its will power and excercise , easier said than done !
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Staying fit after you turn 40 is definitely harder. What I found works for me is to set concrete goals. I started doing triathlons about 4 years ago and signing myself up for 5-6 races per year keeps me going (with the exception of the winter doldrums).

Might I suggest to the OP to sign up for something, like a few 5Ks, duathlon, Masters swimming team, etc? You'd be surprised how much that helps. You can do it!
    I'll agree to this with a caveat: Unless you just want to finish a 5K and you don't care about actually RUNNING it (versus walk, speed walk, slow jog) then you might want to consider setting a goal of hitting a certain "speed per mile" either on the treadmill or jogging out there in the wild. Once you hit it, sign yourself up for a 5K. If the idea of "embarrassing yourself in front of those you know" scares motivation into you, choose one that's in a location where you're likely to see people you know. (I did this the last time I was trying to get into shape by signing up for a 5K about 2 1/2 hour drive north of where I live in my high school hometown. Didn't want to come back and look weak so I trained pretty hard for it and finished decently.)
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I too turned 40 last year. Feel free to send me a request. It's nice to have encouragement along the way.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I just turned 46....started focusing on fitness when I was 43 after years of yo-yo dieting and inactivity when my metabolism was comparable to a sloths. I feel and look better now than I did when i was in my mid 30's running after three kids and working full time. ... it really is as simple as they say. Eat right and exercise....I also think older women should lift heavy or at least some strength exercises in order to battle osteoporosis.

Good luck, don't believe that age is sn obstacle. ....look up Californiagirl on here....she is 52 and her body rocks!
  • wvlandman2003
    wvlandman2003 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started lifting 18 months ago. Hit my goals, and fell of wagon.so starting all over.. anyone can add me. Love this site so far. If I would have used it last time maby I would not have fell..
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Me! Feel free to send a friend request!
  • leona74
    leona74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 40 this year and also at my heaviest!! Let's get rid of some of this UNWANTED weight.:happy:
  • Richard_101
    Options
    Ive just turned 40 (December last year)
    Ive been on here since the 1st of Jan and Ive already managed to drop 14lbs. I think this was down to my original body weight though.

Ive actually found it easier to lose weight this time around by calorie counting than I have ever before (Ive never counted until I came across this site) I think Im also ready to commit to dropping weight this time so Ive actually found it easier not to pick at foods which I shouldn't between meals.

Im happy to share my diet plan / exercise plan so feel free to add me
  • hollymumford1
    hollymumford1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 38 years old and want to feel and look better. Need a little push sometimes.
  • Imgettinskinnier
    Options
    Right here.
  • Imgettinskinnier
    Options
    I like to encourage people.
  • lisaweberboyd
    Options
    My 2 cents:

I am 41, and started my exercise routine today. I do think hormones and genes have a lot to do with weight gain and weight loss, not to mention diet and exercise. I have arthritis in my knees and exercise is very difficult for me. I purchased an elliptical machine to use to exercise. I know it's not an ideal way to lose weight but something is better than nothing and my knees really limit me. I can work out today with cardio but won't be able to walk tomorrow. I am staying positive and hoping that some if not all of the weight comes off. I did qualify to have a weight loss surgery done but I am having second thoughts. My knee therapist recommended the bike so I thought I would give it a try....fingers crossed X.......
  • Txhanna
    Options
    Im 40 and just new today! Need to keep track!
  • Bekkah1552
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm 36 & am looking for supportive and encouraging friends as well :smile:
  • sheeeli
    Options
    Hi, I turned 40 in August. I hear you about your body not responding as well to exercise. This is my first week on MFP. I lost 3.2 pounds and am totally pumped. I would love to be "friends." We could encourage one another. I will add you.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm 41 (turn 42 in August) and am trying to lose 70lbs. Definately harder in my 40s.
    I'm loging most days (Excpet when I travel for work) and am trying to exercise about 5 days aweek. I keep track of steps using FitBit and diet on MFP.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • rea71
    rea71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I will be 43, this coming summer. I have recently just returned to MFP. I have become more dedicated this time around, hate the fact I gained weight prior to returning. Had a lot going on in the past few months, just feeling more determined.:smile::smile:
  • rea71
    rea71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What is Fitbit?
    I have about 65-70 lbs to lose. My brother past away in August after that I didn't want to leave my house.
  • hollymumford1
    hollymumford1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will be 39 in November and it has been a struggle with my weight. I have decided I want to look and feel better. I lost my dad 2 months ago and doing this has helped me. Needed something positive to focus on and this is it. I have lost 15 lbs but would love to lose 50 more. Need all the support I can get. Thanks.
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i just turned 40 on the 19th this month and I feel great, well I try to eat right low stress, well try, enough sleep and working out I love it