having hard time meeting calorie goal

Options
124»

Replies

• gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The short answer is, yes, you should meet the goal that MFP sets for you. And that's a net goal, not gross, which means that if you exercise, yes, you should eat back some/most of those calories. Especially since your daily goal is on the low-end of the recommended minimum. So throw in a few calorie-dense foods, like cooking oils, cheese or chocolate, and meet that goal.

Remember, MFP calculates your daily goal with a built-in deficit: 500 calories a day if you're set to 1 lb/week; 750 calories daly if you're set to 1.5 lb/week; and 1,000 calories a day if you're set to 2 lbs/week. You don't need to go lower than that, period. You'll lose the weight, slowly but surely. And along the way, you'll set yourself up for good eating habits.

When I first started tracking calories, I became hyperaware of everything I ate. From what you've said, it sounds like you're going through something similar. That's normal. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't meet your goal. Don't let yourself be afraid of calories: that's an ED in the making.

Something that may help is to not think of this as a diet. A diet is so finite: it's temporary. And while cutting calories is definitely temporary – just until you reach goal – eating well is a lifelong habit. By properly planning and logging, you're learning to eat the right fuels in the right quantities, and that's something that will long outlive calorie-cutting.

ETA: I'm relatively short (5'4") and I eat 1,900+ calories a day (1,650 + exercise) and lose weight. You *will* lose at 1,300 (or more) a day.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It must be close to New Years...

The fit people on this site don't get there or maintain it by accident, they're usually the ones you should be listening to. Most women even the short ones need more than what you're eating. Learn about TDEE and assess your calorie goal from there.

I suggest getting a food scale too especially if you're going to incorporate more calorie dense foods. Less room for error. You might not be eating as little as you think you are.
  • sconfer55
    sconfer55 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try to increase your protein intake as well. you just might need to boost your metabolism! that would explain why you didn't lose weight before this.
    here are diff ways to boost your metabolism !
    Eating more really can help you lose weight -- eating more often, that is. When you eat large meals with many hours in between, your metabolism slows down between meals. Having a small meal or snack every 3 to 4 hours keeps your metabolism cranking, so you burn more calories over the course of a day. Several studies have also shown that people who snack regularly eat less at meal time.
    Spicy foods contain chemical compounds that can kick the metabolism into a higher gear. Cooking foods with a tablespoon of chopped red or green chili pepper can boost your metabolic rate. The effect is likely temporary, but if you eat spicy foods often, the benefits may add up. For a quick boost, spice up pasta dishes, chili, and stews with red-pepper flakes.
    Crash diets -- those involving eating fewer than 1,200 (if you're a woman) or 1,800 (if you're a man) calories a day -- are disastrous for anyone hoping to quicken their metabolism. Although these diets may help you drop pounds (at the expense of good nutrition), a high percentage of the loss comes from muscle. The lower your muscle mass, the slower your metabolism. The final result is your body burns fewer calories (and gains weight faster) than the one you had before the diet.
    also coffee and certain ingredients in energy drinks (just avoid ones with a bunch of sugar.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It does not matter if you were eating 1,500 calories a day, at 9pm every single day of your life, you still wouldn't gain. Most people have BMRs (the number of caloires a body burns with basic, life supporting functions only -- a coma state, essentially) that are AT LEAST 1,200. I assume since you are a SAHM, you don't lay in bed all day -- the amount of caloires you burn in a normal day (basic functions + activity = TDEE) would have to be at least 1,800, probably more but we will estimate LOW. To become 244 pounds, you would have to be consuming more than 1,800 calories regularly. The point is, 1,300 should'nt be "hard" to reach, you HAD to be eating AT LEAST 500 calories more per day (likley more!).

Lady I don't know who peed in ur diet shake this morning but what I did BEFORE I started working out has nothing to do with my question about calories Now. I a grown woman and so should you be so leave the trolling a cyber bullying to the kids thanks have a great new year :*

Are you kidding right now? First of all, I have been here for a long *kitten* time. I lost 40 pounds ten years ago and have used this site to maintain it and work on strength building (ie weight lifting), suffice to say, I DO NOT DRINK DIET SHAKES.

What I am telling you is to get real with yourself. You didn't get to 244 pounds by only eating 1,500 and just not exercising. To gain a single pound, you have to consume 3,500 calories beyond what you burn. Estimating LOW, you burn 1,800 calories per day. Short of a medical issue, you HAD to be eating more than 1,500 calories a day.

Why does that matter? If you were in denial about how much you were eating THEN, it's likely are in some type of denial about what you are eating NOW. It makes zero sense that you were able to eat enough to be overweight but now suddenly can't eat enough to maintain basic body functions. Totally illogical.

Eat some calorie dense foods: nuts, avocado, stop using "diet" or "reduced calories" products and eat your calories. There is no way to properly fuel your body on much less than 1,200 calories. The longer you cut yourself short, the sooner you fail because you were overly restrictive. The longer you eat a VLC diet, the foggier your brain gets too. You already see trolling where people are giving you actual advice, based on facts and personal experience, and not just saying there, there Snowflake, you really don't need to eat!
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh please. What a load of crap.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Oh please. What a load of crap.

:love: :love:

Somebody pee in your PROTEIN shake?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    It does not matter if you were eating 1,500 calories a day, at 9pm every single day of your life, you still wouldn't gain. Most people have BMRs (the number of caloires a body burns with basic, life supporting functions only -- a coma state, essentially) that are AT LEAST 1,200. I assume since you are a SAHM, you don't lay in bed all day -- the amount of caloires you burn in a normal day (basic functions + activity = TDEE) would have to be at least 1,800, probably more but we will estimate LOW. To become 244 pounds, you would have to be consuming more than 1,800 calories regularly. The point is, 1,300 should'nt be "hard" to reach, you HAD to be eating AT LEAST 500 calories more per day (likley more!).

Lady I don't know who peed in ur diet shake this morning but what I did BEFORE I started working out has nothing to do with my question about calories Now. I a grown woman and so should you be so leave the trolling a cyber bullying to the kids thanks have a great new year :*

Stop acting like such a victim. You're not a victim here.

People are giving you good advice and asking you good questions and you're getting extremely defensive. You won't last long on this site with an attitude like that, people will eat you alive.

Look, here's likely the problem:

Your goal is 1300, you're probably eating more than that if you're using cups and spoons to measure.. watch this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

If you truly are eating 1300 calories, and getting full, you need to eat more calorically dense food - oils, peanut butter, butter, tasty treats, and the like.
  • Eliciajo
    Eliciajo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    While I agree anh720's fist post did seem a little harsh in tone, I do agree with what she is saying. Ten years ago I was a personal trainer and was taking classes in nutrition. Ten years, 3 kids, and a foot surgery later I found my self out of shape and 30+ pounds over weight. I have since gone back to working out and eating right. I have also just starting working with a nutritionist who specializes in weight loss. While it is absolutely true your body can't function long term on less than 1200 calories. You brain and body need that just to fully function. Yes you can do it for a little while but eventually it will not work and you will go back to old ways. My nutritionist is also my personal trainer. She really focus's on healthy eating combined with exercise. She has me eating 6 smaller meals which might help you if you are used to not eating all day and only at dinner. In the morning I eat only about 200 calories. I have a small plate of scrambled eggs which consist of one whole egg and one egg white. It is small enough that you shouldn't feel too full while getting a good dose of protein and keeping the calories down. Then about 2-3 hours later I eat a similar 200 - 300 calorie meal. I do this 6 times a day. I also try very hard to make sure I am burning calories through out the day. I had a rude awakening about 6 months ago. I figured I was burning about 2500 - 3000 calories a day. I purchased a fit bit. Works great with the MFP. I found out that even with working a full time job and having 3 kids I still was only burning about 1900 calories a day. I found that I was grossly over estimating how many calories I was burning. I started really using the MFP and also found without measuring my food I was totally underestimating how many calories was in the food I ate. It is all a balancing act. I would suggest you get a scale and just make sure you are moving all the time. Most counters on elliptical machines, treadmills and these sort of machines are not always accurate so be careful how you are estimating your calorie burn in a day. Feel free to add me as a friend. I can always share the info my nutritionist gives me.
  • coloursule
    coloursule Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is really important to eat enough or else you can have a deficit in nutrients, plus it can slow down your metabolism and make weight loss harder. :)
  • jinxey19
    Options
    Meeting 1200 Calories at least a day is a requirement. You don't want to go below. I spoke with a nutritionalist and was advised that this is definitely a must because your body will start storing whatever you eat as fat instead of using it as fuel to burn more calories because it is not getting enough. If you were only eating once a day then yeah getting full on a diet is pretty common. Partly because your stomach has shrunk quite a bit. Try eating 6 or more small meals per day and that will help. You can try measuring your food or snacks to get the calories that you need. The exercise is great because you are getting your muscles working and speeding up your metabolism. You do want to put back in your body what you burn because you want to stay above that 1200 calorie minimum. Hope some of this information helps.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I might be going to extreme with the calories. That is why I asked if it really that important to meet the calorie goal that mfp sets for you. I just find it hard after sweating my butt off at the gym every day to not notice calories everywhere on everthing. :/
    Try to follow the mfp calorie goal for now. See if it works for you. Try to spread your calories out during the day between your meals & don't underestimate. If it isn't working, try another combination that does work for you. Keep working at it until you're comfy with what you're doing & losing at the same time. Remember, it's cals in vs cals out. Also, take your measurements. If the scale doesn't show it but the tape measure does that's a +. It means your food & exercise are working together.
    FR on the way to support you.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    You were eating too much if you are 244 lb. not exercising does not make you gain, eating too many cals does. I can easily eat 1200 cals and don't buy it that people are "too full" to reach 1200

Wow thanks for the no-help comment. sad when people feel the need to comment simply to be argumentative ... everyone else that was great info thank you very much :)

when I used to be an aerobics instr. then my husband died, all I did was stop exercising. my eating habits never really changed at all and I DID gain a lot of weight back. therefore, it is possible by personal experience to gain JUST by not exercising.

and I loved the reply of the "Wow thanks for the no-help comment." lololol... I have been back under my goal weight for over a year now so keep chugging away at your efforts. don't forget to drunk lots of water and someone else said eat nuts. that's a good one. when I have been at the stage of maintaining my weight, I too have not been reaching my calorie goal because I had not eased up on my workout routine. don't give up... keep at it.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

my eating habits never really changed at all and I DID gain a lot of weight back. therefore, it is possible by personal experience to gain JUST by not exercising AND EATING THE SAME AMOUNT YOU NEED TO FUEL AN ACTIVE LIFESTYLE.

Fixed it :wink:

Seriously though, I would hazard that if the OP is full on 1300 cals a day then it is likely that the amount of calories are being underestimated. I recently started measuring what I eat to track macros and calories. With a 40/30/30 protein, fat and carb ratio on around 1350 calories 200g of sweet potato would be carbs for the day. Thats ONE medium sweet potato cooked. Personally, I was very surprised at the amount I was eating compared the the amount I would have said I was. I am able to stay full on 1350 if I need to, but thats with a LARGE amount of lean protein.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    You were eating too much if you are 244 lb. not exercising does not make you gain, eating too many cals does. I can easily eat 1200 cals and don't buy it that people are "too full" to reach 1200

Wow thanks for the no-help comment. sad when people feel the need to comment simply to be argumentative ... everyone else that was great info thank you very much :)

when I used to be an aerobics instr. then my husband died, all I did was stop exercising. my eating habits never really changed at all and I DID gain a lot of weight back. therefore, it is possible by personal experience to gain JUST by not exercising.

and I loved the reply of the "Wow thanks for the no-help comment." lololol... I have been back under my goal weight for over a year now so keep chugging away at your efforts. don't forget to drunk lots of water and someone else said eat nuts. that's a good one. when I have been at the stage of maintaining my weight, I too have not been reaching my calorie goal because I had not eased up on my workout routine. don't give up... keep at it.

Ugh people.

You gained weight because you were eating more than you burned. Your job burned a lot of calories. When you stopped burning those calories, you didn't need to eat them -- so the issue was your eating habits didn't change, but your activity level did.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options

Ugh people.

You gained weight because you were eating more than you burned. Your job burned a lot of calories. When you stopped burning those calories, you didn't need to eat them.

ugh...double ugh...
    I know exactly why I gained, (at the time, didn't care) I responded to the person that had mentioned that you wouldn't or couldn't gain by eating right and not moving aka exercising.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Ugh people.

You gained weight because you were eating more than you burned. Your job burned a lot of calories. When you stopped burning those calories, you didn't need to eat them.

ugh...double ugh...
    I know exactly why I gained, (at the time, didn't care) I responded to the person that had mentioned that you wouldn't or couldn't gain by eating right and not moving aka exercising.

You gained weight because you didn't adjust your eating habits when your activity level changed. Not specifically because you stopped working out.

There is NO way OP got to her current weight by eating 1,500 calories a day and just not working out. That is not how bodies work, short of medical malady.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just recently got a food scale and omigosh, was I underestimating! It's so easy to do! I recommend getting a scale and weighing everything. A lot of ingredients in food adds up alarmingly fast, so you may be filling up because you're eating your allotment and not even knowing it!

Also, a heart rate monitor will give you a closer idea about what you're actually burning. Getting a tight rein on your food and exercise calories for a couple of weeks should help even things out.

Good luck!