WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce:

I eat chocolate on a regular basis, within my calorie goal. I found individually wrapped 72% cocoa chocolate at my Fred Meyer nutrition center. They've become part of the Kroger chain, so it may also be available to you. Warning, it isn't as sweet as milk chocolate. The brand is Endangered Species Chocolate. They donate part of their profits to protect the rain forest.

Bottom line, you can have your chocolate without cheating, even if you like the milk chocolate variety. Buy it in small portions that are individually wrapped. Andes comes to mind as an example. If I bought a bag of it, though, I'd probably eat it all much too quickly.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    We have a functioning bathtub.!!!!!!!:smile::smile: :smile:
    The little things you take for granted.
    Got out to shovel the walk,hubby`s been so busy.
    Have a great day!!
    HUGS:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
    jane(IL)
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.Too much schoolwork to do tonight to respond. I did do some of the HIIT DVD before work this morning. Will I ever get ahead?? At least I truly love what I teach.

Allison- my thoughts and prayers are with you. I have had family members who struggled through similar problems. At the moment, they are all doing well. Hope your brother does also.

Maybe I will be able to find time for responses this weekend. I do enjoy reading all of the posts and you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Deb A in CNY
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

I had a tough night again last night, I can not stop crying and again I could not sleep, so I'm up till 5:00 in the morning eating.
    God help me this better get easier.

I'm goingt to lunch and shopping with my sister. Maybe getting out of the house will help.
    :ohwell:
    It will get easier. You won't forget him, but you will get better at dealing with your loss and with everything else that's coming at you. Believe me, you will get better at it.
    Getting out of the house, staying in, do what you need to do. I didn't answer the phone for two months after my husband died. Not that everybody was pleased. :wink:
    :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hugs to everybody; it's been a long day and I need to shower and go to bed. I didn't do badly at my work dinner; if I've logged reasonably well a couple hundred calories over. Biggest thing was that I didn't go overboard on the bread. :glasses:
    See you all tomorrow; hope everybody sleeps well.

Cynthia
  • seasonsofjoy
    seasonsofjoy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Joyce, thanks for your heartfelt comments about my upcoming empty nest (not till August!). My son is in his third year of college about 1/12 hour drive, in Tucson. The first year he was gone, I was sad, but last year was worse- he went into his own apartment, so his bedroom at my home looked like it had been robbed, as so much more was gone. He was doing so well, and was so independent, making us very proud! But, like you said, it is bittersweet, as I knew he was raised well, as you said, but I also knew he would not be back to live. He was just home for the holidays, and went back Tuesday, we got to meet his girlfriend, after he picked her up at the airport (she went home to CA for Christmas) we all met for dinner. She is so sweet, and I know he will pick well for a spouse someday. It is hard when he comes home and then goes again. Just different stage of life, now, like my husband said, "We only see him for holidays now." I am going to make a point to go down to see him more, though.
    Our daughter wants to go to Chicago, she thinks. She has applied to schools all over, and will decide after she gets scholarship offers. I want them both to do whatever they want, to spread their wings! It's still hard. I just decided with our son that whenever I cried, it didn't bother me at all, and i would just tell people why they saw me crying out in public, because it happened randomly when something reminded me of him. But it didn't happen that often, I wasn't a complete mess!

Heather, your story about the clothes now fitting you is very inspiring! I have so many clothes staring at me in the closet, so many smaller clothes. But just like I wish i had never gotten rid of some of my nice bigger clothes, i am not getting rid of the thinner body ones! I hope to fit in some in a few months.

Sylvia, my husband is once again doing his annual January weight loss, which means he starves himself for a month, then goes right back to old habits. he also will eat something he thinks is not so bad, then when i tell him the truth, he doesn't want to hear it.

Thanks to all for being so very inspiring, with your stories and weight loss!
    Nancy
    Arizona
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm mainly bumping too. My computer at home quit working on Sunday so I bought a new one that day. I still don't have it! Best Buy says that something is not loading properly and they want a Micro-Soft rep to look at it. I sure hope I get it tonight.

Anyway, I'm using my school computer, but I have work to do so I'd better get to it or I'll be here until bedtime.

Comforting prayers for those who are in pain. Cheers to those who have had such wonderful NSVs this week!

Eileen near San Diego
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Marking my spot to find you all back. I am at work on a break, and try to keep caught up on all the posts :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Renny
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to save my place:smile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did what I would call an hour of Jillian Michael's Hard Body DVD. Actually, it's two 45 minute routines, I did both of them. But I did find that I many, many times needed to stop and see exactly what it was that I should do. One of the good things about that DVD is that you don't do a lot of reps. But I did need to keep looking, also trying to figure out how to modify. Many things are high impact and I need low impact.

Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the deep water class.

Joyce - thanks for telling me how you make a "hard" egg. What about buying one of those microwave oven covers? Then even if the egg "pops" you only have to clean the cover. I love mine for that exact reason. Also, I think it keeps more of the moisture in the food, but I really like it so that I'm not having to clean the top of the microwave, there's some sort of fan or something there and it can be just a pain to get into all those crevices to clean. I do hope the doctors work together on your blood work

Kay - I really like the Body Pump class. The one thing I found (and this was a while ago so they might have changed) was that they didn't work your inner thighs. On certain exercises, all you have to do is turn your legs outward and you'll have hit your inner thigh. I have no idea why they did this. Like I said, I haven't take a formal BP class in about 6 years, so they might very well have changed by now.

Cynthia - have a good time tonight. I know you'll watch what you're having

tazgirl - I found out the hard way that the timer doesn't work with pots that have times already set (like 4, 6, 8, or 10 hours) so I needed to get one that only has the "off, low, high" settings. Then I can just plug it into the timer, set the crockpot for low or high (whichever I need) and it'll turn on at the time I've set it for and turn off at the time I've set it for.

Amanda - hope that doesn't happen again and glad you feel better now.

Patty - I have the ACE book and AFAA's. I honestly think AFAA goes into more detail than ACE does. Good for you going for that certification!

palmscj - you have so much going on in your life what with the gallbladder issue, the imminent wedding, a cruise and a wedding next year. Welcome!

Alllison - I do hope you are able to help your brother. That must be so hard for you to see! But it'll get better, I just hope he doesn't go back

Going right now to work on bringing some of the Christmas decorations in

Nancy - welcome back. To me, when all the kids were out of the house, the hardest part was for me to learn to cook for only 2, I was so used to cooking for 5

barbie - we got most everything (Christmas decorations) inside -- at least in the garage. The arches are still up, the santa and reindeer with the runway lights, the log cabin and the trees, the church with the choir boys in front of it and the mother, father, and daughter caroler still have to come in. Otherwise, everything is in

Jeri - woohoo on you A1C

pds - sending you a big hug

Heather - woohoo those clothes fitting you!!!! Your clothes sound so neat! I bet you're going to one really well dressed person there.

Joyce - your daughter sounds like a lovely girl, you have a lot to be proud of. How absolutely wonderful that you can go off your cholesterol med.

katla - I have some of the mini-3 Musketeers mint in dark chocolate, and I just want to finish them up. To be honest, I really have no desire for them anymore. But the reason I got those mini ones was because it was portioned out.

Sylvia - those frozen dinners do provide portion control, but they also provide a boatload of sodium

Allison - that was so nice of you to take Jean's dad for his bloodwork

Sue in SD- it's so sad how many people stop going to the gym. When we lived in the Poconos, people would stop in February, when the weather got bad. Then you can expect an increase shortly before summertime, then a down, then back up right when school starts, then a decrease for the holidays. I think that's the way it's been since day one.

Going to post this so that part 2 is under "my topics". Have a great evening everyone.

Michele in NC
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies--finally found the page, wow are we a busy bunch. :bigsmile:

The rotisserie chicken was awesome, so tender just fell apart and had a wonderful taste, I will be making this a few more times.

Michele--I have an old crock pot with just the on off , low, high, warm so the timer will work perfect since DH is not always home when I need it turned on, and I am out the door way to early, thank you so much for the suggestion. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Hope everyone has a Blessed & Wonderful evening, Talk to you tomorrow :love:

Alison: I am putting you and your brother on our prayer list at church. ((((Hugs)))) for you, take care of yourself. God does answer prayers. Your a wonderful sister and friend. :love:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good eve all.Weighed in today,no loss/no gain.But for a slow to none loser,it's par for the course.

How times do change. Back in the day, a no loss would send me off whatever diet I was trying. Looking back,can't say I ever tried,mostly just looked for an excuse to eat. Sad,but true.

pds06,I'm so sorry for what you are going thru.We just celebrated our 59th anniv,so know our time will come,just don't know who will go first.I agree with another poster who said to do whatever works for you.

DD & I will be going to Fl next wk. Other DD is throwing a big party/shower for their expected ((March) 1st Grandchild & our 1st Great Grandchild,a baby boy. My crib quilt needs a few more stitches & a label.

Looks like several posters had hair cuts this wk.Had mine done this morn,then to grocery,stopped at the bank & home.

Have a good wk end,keep trying & we will make it.Thinking good thoughts for those who need them. Pat in Ohio
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bumping in.... and caught up on posts and am actually commenting to some – circle the day in red!!

Katla – my brace I’m wearing immobilizes my thumb and wrist, and goes halfway up my forearm. It is for treatment of de Quervain's syndrome – an inflammation of tendons in the thumb that extend to the wrist. Hardly a big deal in life’s scheme of things, but I find it annoying. It has made me notice some of my slacks zip up with my left hand which doesn’t work so well!

Alison, I’m sorry about your brother’s situation. I hope things begin to straighten around.

Dr. Katie – we used to live in the NY metro area and I can say that I don’t miss shoveling snow or dealing with harsh winter weather. I love Georgia!

Joyce, I imagine your doctor will be thrilled with your healthier result and good outlook. OOH, I see you get to leave the cholesterol medicine behind. YAY!!

Meg – good for you to put yourself first. It doesn’t seem natural, does it?

Carol , good for you on dropping a medication. That’s wonderful!

Anne in Vancouver – you have choir practice on a Friday night? (or was the post in wee hours of the morning and practice is Thursday?) I sang in church and community choirs many years, but stopped several years ago. At times I miss it, but my DH committed to our church / service and if he is finally willing to go I don’t want to leave him in the pew.

Amanda and other with massive weight losses – I am so impressed!

Nancy in Gilbert – we lived in Mesa at one time, near Val Vista and Southern, I think it was.

Heather – your party outfit sounds perfect.

PDS – I’m glad you’ve joined us and look forward to getting to know you better.

Welcome to ALL the newbies and returning friends. I look forward to catching up on the posts every day, even though I don't often post.

Gail, metro ATL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to find my place.:wink::flowerforyou:
  • dtown8
    dtown8 Posts: 4
    Options
    Good evening everyone! Denise is north Idaho here, haven't posted since my first one, but just checking in to say that I'm staying on track; sticking with my goals of developing a work out routine, weighing, measuring and recording everything I eat and drinking water. I've also stayed off the scale this week, so I'm excited to weigh myself after a full week. Just taking small easy steps to start this journey (in the past I've always jumped right in and gone gung ho, then quit because my muscles hurt and I was hungry). But things are going well.

All this talk about haircuts, my appointment is Saturday. Can't wait. Will try to check in more frequently.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sue, if you’ve had trouble with that biopsy procedure before, you are very smart and justified and talking to your doctor before the next steps.

:flowerforyou: Rita, here is a reminder
    Get the candy bowl off your desk at work:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Joyce, the BMI calculator on MFP will let you enter your weight in fractions of inches so you can enter 5 feet 3.5 inches and get the information.

:flowerforyou: Jane, congrats on your bathtub working. I often put things like that on my gratitude list because I’ve been without and know how much I miss them.

:flowerforyou: Cynthia, the only way I can not go overboard on bread is to not eat any at all…….I am incapable of being moderate so I eat other things instead.

:flowerforyou: Michele, your decorations were so beautiful and amazing and I’m not surprised that it is taking so long to take them down and put them away. Do you store them in the garage or do you have a special storage area for them?

:flowerforyou: Denise in Ohio, it sounds like you’ve made a great beginning to your journey. If you check in with us every day, you’ll find it easier to stay on course.

:flowerforyou: I have nothing significant to say….did yoga after lunch then took a nap instead of doing some things on my list and now I know I’m avoiding calling my cousin who will say the same negative things she said last week.:laugh: :laugh: :grumble: :grumble: I have called her once a week for over ten years and she counts on my call.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 18,000 steps today

“Enough is abundance to the wise." - Euripide
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    *Conk* :laugh: *Bump* I'll write soon :flowerforyou:
  • Kayzoola
    Options
    Did BODYCOMBAT today. It is my favorite class they offer at the gym I go to. I get a great workout, and a false sense of bravado with my arsenal of kicks and punches!

Michelle, no worries for those inner thighs. I do another class with those wretched elastic bands that work all the little forgotten spots.

Gardengail, I am interested in your thumb issue. My lower thumb joint hurts! Is that something you expect to go away after awhile? I have had trouble with it for over a year. It really zings me when I pick up something every now and then.

I would love to cut my hair short, but every time I mention it at home, DH and DD get pouty faces.

What a community of strong women here! Everyone stay warm and well.

-Kay (PNW USA)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi fitness buddies! It was warmer today, but not in my office. I finally called maintenance and said “If you don’t come heat up my office I’m gonna have to start a fire!” So finally my office warmed up to 70! I took the day off from exercising because I was so exhausted yesterday and Friday is my day off exercise, so I just switched them. Today I am grateful that the weather is warming up so we can defrost!

My fitness pal at work bought me a book yesterday called Women, Food and God. I can't wait to read it! She said she got a lot of insight regarding her emotional connection to food from it.

Michele: I buy the cheapest “doggie deli” to put meds in I can find! One day I went to the deli and that’s just how I order it….some guy was standing there and asked me what that was. I told him and then he orders a pound of sliced salami and says “I’m gonna ask my wife to put my cholesterol pills in it” and I nearly died laughing!

Carol: what a great nsv from you doctor! Congratulations!

Kay: ice to the elbow! Hope it heals soon

Anne: I have found that stretching after workouts helps me minimize my nearly-constant muscle spasms. Also calcium and magnesium can help.

Cynthia: have a yummy and successful dinner out

Tina: hooray for the upper 70s. Glad your broccoli survived the cold! Fresh broccoli is fabulous! I am not a fan of brown rice, although I keep trying!

Amanda: I am so glad you are in a better place with your hubby than with the ex!

Patty: I find my best days of logging are when I have some office time and can get on mfp several times during the day and log right when I eat.

Palmscj: welcome aboard!

DeeDee: hope you get some down time during your busy day

Alison: continued prayers for you and Sean. An AA meeting might be a wonderful respite

Katla: hope that little fur baby got all warmed up!

Nancy welcome back!

Margaret: so glad you are at maintenance. You’ll be able to figure out what your body needs

Carol: I think I passed out right after I posted and I don’t think I moved til this morning!

Sandy: I think that women are trained to put others first and I know nurses are very bad at that. I don’t want people to think I am
    being selfish, but I need to make my health my priority or I am no good to anyone!

Pds06: sending more prayers and hugs and virtual kleenex to you! Have you considered a grief support group? I know it’s early. Just remember that what you feel is normal and needs to be felt. The support of others going through similar situations may be comforting.

Heather: woo hoo party clothes! Do I remember correctly that you love fashion? I bet all those clothes were magnificent on you!

Jane; well I guess I can say hooray for the toilet! I hope things get better for you. We have had 2 floods in our basement in the last 4 years from a frozen pipe so I can empathize!

Joyce: we are a chatty group arent’ we? It is hard to keep up! Yay for one less med!

Linda: have fun tonight!

Sylvia: maybe those moon pies can magically disappear from your pantry?

Kay: I too have problems keeping focused on my eating plan with work. Office and/or classroom teaching days are not too bad, although I tend to spend an hour on lunch, but clinical days are something else altogether!

Sue: so that doctor was tattling on you! OMG Good thing your doctor sent you to someone else. I will keep you in my prayers

Robin: post when you can. We’ll be here!

Jane: hooray for the tub!

Well gals I need to get to work on the book. DH just came and showed me two change of address forms dear old DD#1 filled out with the wrong last name on both of them!!!!! The post office sent them here for confirmation that the information was right. The kids’ last name is a hyphenated one (DH and I have different last names), so she filled one out with the first half of the last name, and filled another form out with just the last part. Dear God. I’m not sure how she gets dressed in the mornings! Well she’s on her own now, so all we can do is support her when she needs it or better yet, asks for it. Unfortunately she doesn’t know when she needs to ask. God bless her!
    OK I’m out! Take care, meg from Omaha where the temp outside was higher than the one in my office!