• tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    X marks my spot.

January always seems to be a chatty month x
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new ladies. It's great to see this group explode with support. I look forward to getting to know each of you.

Linda – doing the happy dance for your dogs, what a relief

Barbie – I’m reading Happiness Project now, so I will definitely put Willpower on my list of books to read. I love getting recommendations for reading. I don’t weigh myself every day but am thinking about it as it would hold me more accountable and maybe more motivated to move more during the day.

Drkatiebug – you can do it, I dream of Onderland and one day I will get there.

Susan – I have done the 30 day shred before and it’s awesome…maybe time to dust it off and do it again. I would have joined you on the crunches but I do them on my bed as if I got down on the floor I wouldn’t get back up again. :laugh: My knees are too bad. You should post a pic here too, I’m sure we’d all love to see you

Joyce – good luck at your physical. 53 lbs gone is nothing to sneeze at…it’s awesome. Think light thoughts when you step on the scale :happy:

Meg – good for you in getting your exercise in and putting yourself first. I think that’s a hard lesson for a lot of us to learn. I know for me, I am always putting others before myself and I have to catch myself.

Carol – good for you in getting your steps in. I can’t get up to 10, 000. I work in a very small office and am stuck at my desk most of the day.

Tina – yay that your dr’s appt went well…6 lbs – 8 lbs in 4 weeks…yikes! :noway:

Amanda – I can’t even imagine speaking to my ex and it’s been 26 years. He has had nothing to do with the kids since the divorce. I too suffered abuse at his hand. I’m so happy that you were able to get out and have a wonderful man in your life. I look forward to that day.

Patty – I try and log my entire day of food and then stick to it. It lets me know in advance if I need to make any adjustments. Weekends are harder for me but I still try and log in advance.

Allison – I went to Al-Anon for many years as I grew up with an alcoholic step-father and married a drug addict. It helped me a ton.

Jeri – congrats on the great lab results

Whew - I'm glad I had the time to respond to some posts today. I feel like I just run out of time.

I did get to the Y last night and do my strength training. Tonight is cardio on the bike. At my Y they don't have wifi and there is no tv on the bikes. I can't seem to get audiobooks to work on my tablet without wifi so tonight I'm taking my daughter's portable dvd player and going to try and catch up on The Good Wife dvd's that my kids got me for Christmas. I wonder how many episodes I can watch in the 1 hour on the bike. Guess I'll find out tonight.

Well ladies, I have to get back to work.

Stay warm & safe.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I want to thank
    Anne, Vancouver
    Cynthia T60
    Dee Dee 2211
    Lincharpentie
    Katla49
    Virginialee78
    jmkmomm
    Mollywhippet
    Kalley1959
    Margaretturk
    Bonella
    Exermon
    Megblair1
    Barbiecat
    Susanrechter
    Laurelfisher
    LizPlus
    and anyone I may have missed, For their kind words and welcome :blushing:

Grandmallie- Remember the serenity prayer. :cry:

I had a tough night again last night, I can not stop crying and again I could not sleep, so I'm up till 5:00 in the morning eating.
    God help me this better get easier.

I'm goingt to lunch and shopping with my sister. Maybe getting out of the house will help.
    :ohwell:
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone.

Katla and Margaret - I checked my maintenance calories today. Yes, generous. I then recalculated for my 0.5 lb a week loss and because I am only a lb or so away from goal even those were generous! I suppose they are easing you back into eating more. Good idea. Trouble is my mind won't adjust!:blushing: :laugh: I think I'll stick to what I was doing until I hit goal, whatever that is.:bigsmile: At yoga a lady told me not to lose any more as my chin skin was saggy. Trouble is it was saggy before the diet! :laugh: I looked at my body fat. It is towards the lower end of acceptable, but not near "fitness". I think I will stop very soon and come to terms with being 64 and it not being good to go any lower. Bone strength and all that. But it is sooooo hard to get out of the mind set of eating less. I will take my own advice and slowly increase the calories.

Today I was fed up with agitating myself about this party. I told myself - DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. So I got all my very old party clothes out of the wardrobe. Some of them date from the late 1980s! I hung on to them in the vain hope I would one day be able to squeeze back into them. Well, they all fit perfectly! In the end I decided on a top I bought the last time I was slim, before my cancer, but not as slim as now. I bought it in Lausanne when I went to visit the friend whose party it is. From a second hand shop. I have never worn it as it was skin tight then.:blushing: Now it fits fine, but it is a bit baggy under the arms so I will take a tiny dart there by hand. It is sleeveless, close fitting, blue and pink with black sequins in a flower pattern. So many times I nearly gave it away as I could get nowhere near it, but I liked it so much I couldn't bear to part with it. I have a 1980s black crochet cardigan with beads on to wear with it before dancing starts. So I took myself back to the store this pm and bought two pairs of tight black trousers, both of which I will get a lot of wear out of and tried on lots of pairs of flat, ballerina pumps. I fancied the pink ones, but they were sooooo uncomfortable and nothing fitted. In the end I bought some black velvet slippers! Very comfortable for bopping at the disco! I hate being uncomfortable.:blushing:
    So I feel very proud of myself and happy with my choices. There is also a VERY ancient black sequin top I bought from a market stall back in the year dot that I could wear. Who would have thought when I was 57 lbs heavier that I would be able to wear my old party clothes that I kept for no more than sentimental reasons!:bigsmile:
    Tonight we are having skinnytaste.com's Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie. It's just come out of the oven. Double yum, because I have double portions!:laugh: There will be some over for lunch tomorrow.
    Oh well, enough already! Thanks for letting me let off steam, but this party business has been really getting to me. I didn't want to buy yet another outfit I would only wear once!:noway:

Love Heather in Hampshire UK
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Not starting of to well today.Tub is still not draining.All the sinks empty in the tub,say a frozen pipe.Fun,NOT.
    Got a call 1st thing this am from the school rn,daughter got sick in school,was ok when she left.
    So today is not going as planned.At least the toilet works.lol.
    Hugs to all new and old.
    Jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at taking notes and have never figured out how to make notes on a separate page and transferring them here. And so since we are in part 3 now, I can't just scroll back.

Amanda, is your ex trying to make up to your daughter by being with her to meet the new grandbaby? My daughters and myself suffered through a lot of verbal abuse when my husband was working. After they left it was jsut me to get all of it. But all that changed when he retired. He is trying double time to be a completely different guy. Yes, he still gets mad at me but not nearly like what it used to be. Allison's husband owns the title for being the biggest butt hole on that. But he may be trying to change. I'm not saying let him in your life as a friend but at least see how things are doing with your daughter.

Nancy, from AZ. I remember when our first daughter went off to college. I had had so many people tell me to prepare myself for the crying when we had to drop her off. But I didn't! I have always had a problem with not being able to cry when I felt like I needed to anyway. But I didn't feel the need to. We had already agreed to make the drive to see her the next weekend to see how she was. Well that next weekend, her laundry was done, the room was clean, she had a good relationship with her room mate, and still does, she had a boyfriend and even had his class ring on her finger. That is when I bawled. My little girl didn't need me anymore!!:sad: :laugh: I was so proud of her and the way she was brought up that she could be adjusted like that but I still realized that she was all grown up and able to be self sufficient without me. Also I could tell that this relationship with the guy was serious, even after one week. Oh, they had their 15th wedding anniversary last week. Allow yourself whatever emotions you have. I truly believe that emotions are a gift from God. We need to allow God the chance to bless us and if we use them wrong we aren't recieving His full blessing.

Joyce, indiana
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Good evening all, sounds as if the weather is warming a little for some of you over in the USA, hope your all managing to keep warm.
    The only down side I've found to my weight loss is the wobbly chin skin, I hate the look of it when I look in the mirror.
    Heather you must fell sooooo... good fitting into those tops, well done you for hanging on to then, hope you enjoy the party.
    Had a good day in work today, the day just flew which was great, most work days can be very boring, and now I'm going to a friends house for a nice meal and a pamper evening so should have a good laugh.
    Take care all.
    Linda
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump for now
    Juanita in sudbury
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Wow! Part two already!

I'm getting ready to go to my friend's house for our little painting party. It should be fun.

Hubby announced this morning that he wants to lose weight too, so he left for work with just a banana for breakfast and a slim fast for lunch. He has tried it before and never sticks with that for long. I have tried to tell him, but he won't listen. He also thinks frozen dinners are the answer for dinner, because they offer portion control. Fine, except that after "dinner" he eats a tube of crackers, several orange dreamscicles, bowls full of nuts and a few moon pies. Still, I will just try to be supportive, as he has with me. He will have to figure it out.

Have a great evening, and stay warm!

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I changed several settings in my profile including setting a loss of .5 lbs per week as my goal. Now I have 1280 calories available. I haven’t eaten that many yet except going over once. Congratulations on a whole bunch of NSVs! Isn’t it wonderful that clothes from days gone by are now fitting a bit loosely? I won’t buy uncomfortable shoes, either. :noway: The last ones were for DS and DDIL’s wedding. They were the most comfortable ones I could find at the time, but not good enough. :angry: I doubt I’ll ever wear them again. I love your mantra, DON’T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Joyce: I love that you are a truth teller. We spend so much time and effort sugar coating things and then wonder why people don’t understand us. I’m glad your DH has mellowed since he retired.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m glad your DH has decided to get healthier. I hope he’ll eventually be open to checking out MFP. My husband likes it because he gets enough information about things to make good choices.:flowerforyou:

I went to get my hair cut after yoga but the barber wasn’t there. I’ll try again after 1pm. The barber’s mother recently came home from a stay in a skilled care facility due to health issues and he’s now her caregiver. He’s changed his hours so that he can be home for lunch with her. I’m starting to get desperate for the haircut. I hope I don’t have to go to someone else.:noway: :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Love yourself—accept yourself—forgive yourself—and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.” Leo F. Buscaglia

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    well ive been running around today,but spent a couple of hours at the hospital with my brother, today not good,fever chest congestion and possible pnemonia,(sp) because he is also a smoker and is sedated he cant cough anything up so they might have to put him on a resparator,when he does wake up he is very aggitated and tries to get out of bed. right now they are treating the detox rather than the pancreatitis,but his belly is hard as a rock. im guessing it will get worse before it gets better.i went over to try and talk with him and he told me Alison get the F out.. I know it is the drugs so it didnt bother me..
    Jean's parents are both eldery,her mom has dementia and dad heart issues,and they called Jean and wanted her to take dad to the clinic for bloodwork,but she isnt budging... so I told her that I would take him, so went and picked him up and took him to get his bloodwork done and to the bank and home, and now I am home,fed the dogs, finsihing laundry and then making DH dinner and lunch, then I might go back over to the hospital and read to him from his favorite book from when he was little..
    dont want to wear myself thin, but feel he needs to have somebody there.. Jean will be leaving at 5 to go out to dinner with a friend of ours. and then probably home.
    I work tomorrow from 9-3 , so might go in early morning to see Sean and then come home get a shower and get to work
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Grandmalle, I am so sorry for all you are going through with your brother. It sounds very similar to what my cousin went through with her husband. He even said to her one day, "you are a mean woman. You remind me of my wife." He had no idea.

Kayla, you may have hit the nail on the head with my roadblock. I think I'm going to need to totally retire so that I can concentrate on doing the shopping and meal planning myself. I don't know why I can't let it go. So much of my identity is tied up in staying involved in education. I love my job, but I am continually tired, and I do look to carbs for energy.

Of course you guys can call me Kay. I just can't always remember to sign my posts with it. I'm okay with whatever you want to call me.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kay (PNW), everything I know here I’ve learned through trial and error and successive approximations. I bought a food scale and measuring cups and spoons to do a better job at portion control. I eat a lot of the same foods over and over……..it cuts down the energy needed for decision making and makes it easier to find the foods once I’ve logged them because there aren’t so many among my favorites and recent foods.

:flowerforyou: Patty, one of the best things I’ve done for myself is just what you’ve done
    log my food for the day in the morning and then stay with the plan…among other things, it saves me from thinking about food all day.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Alison, bravo for you for deciding to go to Al-Anon…….you are powerless over your brother but you can make positive changes for yourself

:flowerforyou: Nancy, it’s never too late to make positive changes and start feeling better again.

:flowerforyou: Jeri, congrats on your good lab results

:flowerforyou: Sandy from ON, Gretchen Rubin has a website where you can sign up for a daily happiness quote and sign up for her newsletter that includes recommendations of books…..I think Willpower is the first of her suggestions that I’ve tried.

:flowerforyou: Pds, I can’t begin to imagine your sorrow....:brokenheart: :brokenheart: ..my best friend told me that when her husband died, she stayed focused on the moment and stayed busy and that helped her.

:flowerforyou: Heather and Margaret, I still keep my calories the same as when I was losing weight but occasionally have a day when I don’t log calories and that seems to keep my weight at the level I want…….good thinking about bone strength……the osteoporosis doctor told me if she had her way, women wouldn’t aim for such low weights……I got down to 110 pounds and size 4 jeans (something I’ve always dreamed of) and three doctors told me to gain weight so I’m keeping my weight between 122 and 124 and the doctors are happy with it.

:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: I’m going to post this now so I can put the new thread under “My Topics”…….I had a great time at line dance this morning….the teacher chose all dances that I love. I had a great walk with the dogs and great chat times with Jake after the walk and during lunch. Now he is going to take a nap and I’m going to finish my preparations for the class I half teach tomorrow....I'll walk the dogs again later.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 14,000 steps today by noon…
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,165 Member
    Options
    "X" marks the spot......:wink:

Lin in Central Iowa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,886 Member
    Options
    Wow, page two already! I went this morning to have a second mammogram done after they found some calcifications on the first one taken before we went to Seattle. The radiologist came in afterwards to talk with me and wanted to do a stereotactic biopsy right away. I told him no. I had a very unpleasant experience with one of those years ago and will not do another. He told me he would call my primary care doctor and I swear he sounded like someone saying "I am going to report this to your parents". I was NOT impressed. However I have talked with my PCP and she has set me up with another doctor that specializes in breast care and does not want any biopsy done until after I have met with her. She is currently reviewing the x-rays and my history and will get back to me.

Allison - sending prayers for you and your brother.

I agree with someone else on here who said the gym was really full with people who made New Year resolutions. The reality is all but about 5% of them will be gone by March so things will soon return to normal.

Linda - Glad your critters are back home.

Well I have an appointment for a haircut so must go. Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in sunny but still cold SD
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    BUMP even though I can't keep up or find anytime to post anymore. I just don't want to lose you all in case I find the time.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter,
    PNW
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Just posting to save my place. No time to post! I missed one day and 5 pages of the old post go by and almost a whole page on the new one! We sure are busy here!

Alison, my heart goes out to you girl. I admire your dedication to family in time of need. You are a wonderful person. Please don't forget to take care of yourself or you won't be able to take care of family as you do. We really need to get together again. Let's try and plan something....

My SMART goals for January:
    I will lose 5 pounds by January 31 through consistently going to Curves at least 4 times a week and increasing my daily steps to average 8,000 steps a week. My ultimate goal is to weigh 145 or less pounds and be healthy by this time next year.

Amendment to goal: if I cannot make it to the gym 4 times in a week, I will exercise to my walking video for at least 30 minutes.

SMART goal - Specific, Measurable, Actionable/achievable, Realistic, and Timed.

Week 1 steps average: 6315 Curves 3 times (closed do to snow and holiday). Did my video once to make up for it.

I have to get the candy bowl off my desk at work!!!!!

Rita from CT
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Back from my physical. I can go off my cholesterol medicine!!!!!:love::love: :love: :love: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: I have to increase my B/P medicine a tad. I rake 4 diffferent types of medicine and take one of them twice a day. He had cut that down to once a day due to some dizziness and low pressure. But I now have to take that dose he had cut out and take half of it now. He ordered a thyroid test to see how I am doing on that and also check my Hgb A1C. I have shrunk a bit. So I have to check my BMI using a 1/2 inch. Don't know if any sites check that. I guess I will have to get my BMI for 5'5" and 5/4'' and pick a number halfway between. I guess AMA standards for pelvic/pap and breast exams are more lax than before because I got to keep all my clothes on! I also got my pneumonia shot. Medicare pays for that every 5 years. I have never gotten sick from any flu or pneumonia shot before. I hope this is the same. When I get my tetanus boosters my arm is sore.

I know it shows lack of control on my part, and it is, but as soon as I got home from my physical and had weighed in his office I got my stocking candy out and ate some. I got this stuff on Saturday and put it up, didn't want any weight gain before I saw him. But it also shows my continuing addiction to chocolate.

Well better figure out what I am having for supper at Cracker Barrell. I usually have a blueberry muffin, I save some carbs just for it but I will have to leave that off with the chocolate I have

Joyce, Indiana