WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• dee62l
    dee62l Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i am new to this group so bear with me as i plod my way through
    My name is Debbie i live in Queensland Australia 51 years of age and would like to blame Menopause for my weight gain haha.
    Seriously i have gained a bit of weight so decided to record wat i ate and i was surprised to see that i was not eating a whole lot of food that would cause this weight gain (around 1400 cal) i am walking (briskly) every morn at least for 30-40 mins so im loading the ol brain with info so i can do better and make small changes
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I usually don't eat English Muffins, rolls or pasta, either. I will have potatoes, only because sweet potatoes in particular are good for you. But...they are also not real calorie friendly. So I just watch my portions on them. I'm not a big dessert fan, I would much much rather have a piece of fruit for dessert. I do like the Kashi Go Lean cereal since it's pretty decent on the calories and high in protein. I usually have water with the cereal, not that I don't like milk, it just isn't a biggie. However, when we stay at the hotel by Jessica, at the continental breakfast I've found that 1/2 of an English muffin, 1/2 of a tub of cream cheese, I usually take my cereal with me which is the Special K 90 calorie (in the small boxes) and 1/2 a cup of skim milk is good. They also have hard boiled eggs so I'll have two egg whites. I just don't care for the yolks, I think it's more the consistency than anything else. Depending on how I feel, I may have a banana with the cereal. Vince and I really didn't pick out the oraments together, I mostly did it. But I do think it's neat, it's neat to look back and see them. A friend of mine has a nativity scene inside of an egg shell. It IS beautiful! Back when when I had my first tree, I couldn't afford to buy garland, so I remember buying a 99cent bag of popcorn and stringing that. I thought it looked so neat that I've been doing it every year since, so it's probably been about 40 years that I've been doing that.

Sylvia - good for you getting out

Sherri - welcome! If you're going to be doing weights daily, be sure to work only one body part per day and then give that body part time to recuperate and build new muscle. Like if you work biceps one day, don't do that again for at least 24 to 48 hours. This is a great place for support

Sue in SD - hope the results of the MRI are good. Let us know

Speaking of limiting TV. I know this isn't really limiting TV. Anyway, when we first moved into the house, Vince HAD to drill thru the brick so he could put a TV on the enclosed porch to be able to watch the NASCAR races while grilling. Well...our cable company is going all digital in a few months so he probably won't be able to use that TV. I'm crying crocodile tears...can't you tell???????

Meg - whenever we go to FL, you can always tell the tourists from the natives. The tourists are those in shorts, the natives are those who are bundled up. Bet in this cold, those hot flashes feel good....lol

Went to Mexican train, had some cheese, one piece of the kielbasa and some of the cheese crackins that I brought. When we got home I had a crumb of the chocolate fudge cake. Drank 48oz,

Susie from Ontario and Carlene from SC and katieleemom and Lorraine and Debbie and anyone else new that I may have missed - welcome

Christine - there's ALWAYS room for one more...just like jello...there's always room for more

barbie - I do like the belly dancing. It really is a good ab workout. The problem I'm finding is that I wish there were classes at a decent time around here so that I could just find out if I'm doing it right.

Susan - congrats on getting to Day 3 or is it called level 3. I enjoyed watching Downton Abbey, too. A friend of mine got all 8 episodes before they aired in the US, it was just so neat to think "I know what's coming next" "she's going to pick that paper up and read it" "Mrs. O'Brien is going to leave". Kind of childish, huh?

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Water in cereal??????? Michelle, what in the world does that taste like? The only bread I eat is the Healthy choice 35 calorie, I get the bread and the English muffins. I love my egg and cheese on English muffin. You have to fold both the egg and cheese to fit the muffin but it sure is good. I do like my sweet potato and eat it plain. It isn't something I eat a lot of.

-49F??? BRRRRR, that is bone chilling cold. I don't want it here at all. I like living in southern Indiana, we have seasons, we have cold and hot, warm and breezy.

I was getting some more bike riding in tonight to get my 10 miles in and I saw on my FitBit that I didn't have a whole lot more to get to 10,000 steps. So I kept going. So all in all between the 3 miles I rode earlier today and 11.5 miles tonight I put in 14.5 miles. But when I got my weekly FitBit report in my email tonight I find that of the 2 friends I have got on FitBit, I am in last place. Solidly in last place. Allison you rock it out!!! I have my work cut out for me.

Joyce, indiana
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello dear friends

:frown: I thought I posted yesterday but can't find it so maybe I didn't :noway: :noway: :huh:

:flowerforyou: Anyway I have taken so long entering my fit bit bits and looking for my post on MFP that I have no time to post,
    now, I haven't exercised the last 2 days so really must do some today to get back into the swing of things.

:frown: I'm back at work, (since 2nd Jan) and I am so tired - I've said before working doesn't agree with me and this proves it! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Time to get a moving - I'll try and get back tonight :heart:

Take care
    Viv Wet and a little warmer York UK
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Cynthia
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Welcome. you can friend me. I'm Patty from Cincinnati Ohio.
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies: I found a recipe for Crock pot red beans with andouille sausage, sounded wonderful, so I asked DH to put in crock pot around 10am since it only had to cook for 7 hours, he did with 3 tablespoons of creole seasoning :noway: It was so spicy (delicious though) I had to add a little sugar to cut the heat, I drank a whole glass of water after the second bite :laugh: But we now know that we will only add 1 tablespoon to dishes that call for creole seasoning. :tongue:

Off to my Dr's appointment at 9am this morning, I'm sure she won't be too happy, I think they should not weigh you with all your clothes on, jeans and pullover sweaters add to the weight and I need every little help I can get,. :embarassed: Anyways wish me luck.

Michele & Meg, are you trying to say us Florida people are winter wimps? lol:laugh: :laugh: The answer is yes we are. :laugh: :laugh: I had to dress in layers yesterday, and stayed in them all day. This morning is not looking too pretty either, I'm already running out of winter clothes :noway:

Hope everyone has a Blessed & Wonderful Day :flowerforyou:
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies! I have a few extra minutes this morning as we are on a two hour delay due to windchill below 0.

I would like to welcome all of the new women. This has been the most supportive group and has helped me immensely on my journey to a healthier me. I "lurk" more than post because my job has been much more demanding this year.(Teaching high school math courses instead of 7th and 8th grade). Love the challenge, but working hours and hours every night. I really need to regain my balance as I have not even been getting my exercise in. Today I WILL do my new Leslie Sansone HIIT DVD as soon as I get home from work.

I will try to find time to respond to some posts tonight.

Have a great day! Stay warm.

Deb A from CNY
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Rose:smile: that was absolutely beautiful:love: !

Tina:smile: I slept with a sweater on last night I was so cold!!!

Deb A:smile: I always enjoy reading your posts!

Welcome to everyone new!

Am running very late this morning:grumble: ! Have a wonderful day! Drink your water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in still COLD NC
  • Sherrib490
    Options
    Hi All,

Still freezing in the NE. Made myself get on the scale this morning and learned I had put on 7 lbs this fall. Getting back on this horse today. I will charge my fit bit and wear it, do my Leslie Sansone tape and log my food.

Have a good day everyone!

Sherri
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,811 Member
    Options
    please pray for my brother~ i went to see him after the gym this morning and from what the nurses told me they had to call a Dr strong and restrain him, he is now in CICU ,tied to a bed and tubes down his nose, and cathiter and drugged up, and stupid me, went to see him,I cried all the way home,I know this is his own doing ,and you have to hit bottom before you can rise from the ashes,but I didnt know what it looks like to detox... now I know:sad:
    im off to work,and then home at 2:30 , not going to be able to focus much today..
    love ya ladies :heart:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    please pray for my brother~ i went to see him after the gym this morning and from what the nurses told me they had to call a Dr strong and restrain him, he is now in CICU ,tied to a bed and tubes down his nose, and cathiter and drugged up, and stupid me, went to see him,I cried all the way home,I know this is his own doing ,and you have to hit bottom before you can rise from the ashes,but I didnt know what it looks like to detox... now I know:sad:
    im off to work,and then home at 2:30 , not going to be able to focus much today..
    I'm sorry it upset you so much, Grandmallie. :flowerforyou: Hope the worst symptoms will soon be over.
    Maybe you can curl up on the couch later with some nice tea or coffee? Just to rest a little.

Cynthia
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    HI!!! HAPPY NEW YEARS TO EVERYONE TOO!

I OVERATE AND INSTEAD OF TELLING MYSELF HOW FAT I IS....
    I REPEATED THE THOUGHTS OF HOW SKINNY I IS!!!!!
    I WORKED I FEEL SKINNIER!!!!!
    :)
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options

SENDING PRAYERS TO YOU AND YOUR BROTHER.....
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Christine ,Katie and dee

Welcome to a very active bunch of women.
    All very understanding of our problem.

Barbie
    Guess I should of left the cashews alone I didn't realize they were that heavy.
    Like 3 lbs for 1/4 cup.

Rose
    What a beautiful poem and so appropriate for the lady you sent it to

BJ
    See even on days that don't look so bright you still found some good in it.

Joyce
    Your doing great on the bike. I didn't even get on mine. Keep the little breathing I can muster for living. LOL.

Taz girl
    Wear you light clothes and if you need to layer take some off. Good luck.

Grandmaille
    It's to bad they have to see rock bottom and then shortly after they forget.
    Seen a lot of it in my years of nursing.
    But now I look at myself and what I did to myself I'm as guilty as an alcholic I'm a food aholic .
    Did a lot of harm to myself.

Well I really don't know where I went wrong yesterday must of been the chicken wings It said here only 180 calories for 5. So had that for lunch with an apple. and had another 5 for 3 o'clock snack. And wii said they weighed 3 lbs. I'm sure I didn't have 3 lbs of wings.
    I was looking forward to going to tops I had a nice lose until this mornings weight in. Oh well wag the tail and keep going.

Wagging tails the vet just called and they are fine I can pick them up at 4 this afternoon. I wanted to go right now but he said we had lots to discuss and guess he didn't have time until then.

See you all lighter.
    LInda in Northern Ontario
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,362 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful women!

My knee still improving. The hairdresser came to my house this morning and did my roots and a trim. I'm a natural blonde again!:laugh:
    This afternoon I went looking for something to wear to my friend's party. Everything was black. I feel like showing off my new body in some colour.:grumble: Have no idea what to buy. Saw a white lace top and some snakeskin leggings and some glittery pink shoes. Suitable disco outfit for a 64 year old? Maybe. I do want to strut my stuff.:blushing: :bigsmile: :drinker:

Lin - hope all is well with your doggies. What an expensive business!

Grandmalie - my DSIL'S father went through the exact same thing with a detox. He is OK now, but at the time they weren't sure if he would pull through. He was on the floor in restraints because he kept trying to jump out of the window. Unfortunately he still drinks a bit, but not as much as before. He did try for a while, but as Lin said, they forget the pain. But at least he is still around. Big hugs to you.:love:

We are seeing a lot of your big freeze on our TV. WOW! Over here we have lots of pictures of people rowing around their village streets and flooded houses. Hope all of you are safe.

Love to all. Feeling a bit tired today after my busy day yesterday. Sinus headache still aching a bit, but much improved. Might take a short nap. :happy:

Heather UK
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well wishes for everyone , I am still trying to get in the land of the living just cannot shake this cold and cough

Grandmallie, so sorry you had to see your brother in that state, prayers for you, him and your family due take care of yourself:flowerforyou:
    Linda glad your fur babies can come home you also take care hope they can help your breathing problem soon:flowerforyou:

Keep warm and safe everyone in all this crazy weather I need to do some more couch surfing not feeling to good

Juanita in sudbury
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Good Morning lovely ladies. :flowerforyou:

I am happy to report I have now officially lost 30 pounds. It took me more than a year, so it was very slow going with several set-backs and long periods of plateaus. Although I am over the flu I am still feeling very tired. It sure sucks the life out of a person. It has been over 3 weeks. But I had a flu shot, so I might have been hit harder had I not had the shot, I suppose. At first I had the noro virus, which is not something that is included in the shot. Then started with what appeared to be a cold with sore throat, ear ache, head cold. H1N1 is going around in Canada too, so who knows what I had. I did not have it diagnosed. And basically people are told not to go to the doctor or clinic unless you are really sick and have complications.

Okay, off to work. Have Toastmasters at lunch and a hair appointment after work, both of which I enjoy. Heather, I used to be a natural blond too :bigsmile: :bigsmile: It made me look a lot younger. But I decided to go natural a couple of years ago. Easier on the wallet.:ohwell:

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi dearies,

Short on time this morning but wanted to post a link to my blog post from yesterday which is a list of 10 ideas from the "Eating Mindfully" book. I'm trying hard to pay attention to these things for once in my life. Making a tiny bit of progress, yay!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jb_2011/view/10-mindful-matters-611741

Wishing you all a wonderful Wednesday. Welcome everyone new!

:smile: jb in cloudy and warmer Portland
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was hoping I could join this group. I joined mfp in 2012 but never really used it. I am a Rn and been overweight a long time probally around 15 years. I finally hit rock bottom at 276 in June 2013, my blood pressure was sky high and realized I better do something. I started a gym and ended up losing 60 lbs by thanks giving and kinda went back to old habits and now trying to lose the holiday weight and move on to losing more.
    I raise blood hounds and horses and really would like to get back to actively riding again.

Nice to have a group for our age here.

Melodie