WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: It sounds like you are in a situation that could be stressful with your writing deadline and your dad’s health problems both taking your time and energy now. Sending virtual hugs and a reminder that you have to take care of yourself first during difficult times if you have hopes of helping others.:flowerforyou:

Molly in WV: I found the same water information and am following the recommendations to the best of my ability. It is helping me to feel better. I love your "laugh and be forgiving" goal.:flowerforyou:

Linda in N ON: I’m keeping your little fur babies in my thoughts. I hope all turns out well. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: My mom wanted a call from me at the end of a travel day, too. Guess what I ask of my kids? :wink: Except that now I’m more likely to get a text than a call. A text is okay with me, because I know they made it home safely.:flowerforyou:

Rose in DE: Congratulations on the loss!:flowerforyou:

Vicki GI NE: Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your 28th grandchild. Wow!:flowerforyou:

Michele in NC: I am a big Star Trek fan. I like the original series and the new “prequel” movies. I never really liked the Next Generation TV series. It lacked the idealism I loved so much in the original.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: We had a homemade gift tradition with our kids. When they were young I helped them make chocolate covered nuts to give as gifts to their grandparents. Later on they continued to make gifts. One year our son gave us jars of home made mustard he made using beer. I liked the dark beer version best on sausage, and the light beer version best with milder flavored meats. DGD is still too young to start making gifts, but in a year or two she’ll be ready for it.:flowerforyou:

Anne from Vancouver BC area: I’m glad the coach showed up. I hope he earns your trust from now on.

Debbie: I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope you will post often. This is a wonderful and encouraging group of women.:flowerforyou:

Lee: There are two main food strategies for people here on MFP. Barbie is an abstainer and DH & I are moderators. Between our separate health problems we have to eliminate a lot of things we used to enjoy. We’ve learned to ruthlessly measure or weigh food and count calories for those foods that are still possible. It is working for us and we aren’t feeling deprived. You will have to decide what works best for you.:flowerforyou:

Cindy: Congratulations on your upcoming grandchild.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: It is lovely to hear from you. I’ve had my gallbladder removed and am delighted to be without it. The pain from my gallstone was horrible. I only had one, but it was a doozey. I hope your surgery is as positive for your health as mine was for me. Congratulations to you and your daughter on the pregnancy. I hope all goes easily for her and you get plenty of chances to spend time with the baby. My only DGD lives over a thousand miles away so we don’t get to see her nearly often enough. :flowerforyou:

AliceG: Is the KY Kentucky? Welcome to a great group. This is a wonderful place to learn new eating habits you can live with forever.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Stay warm. We had single digit weather for a few days in November. As we came out of the extreme cold snap I slipped on black ice and hurt myself. Be careful outside.:flowerforyou:

Liz: Great to hear from you. :flowerforyou:

Back to yoga today! Color me happy. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I also have a lunch date today with two friends I haven’t seen in a long time. I see one of these women a few times a year but haven’t seen the other in at least 15 years. We all worked together WAAAAY "back when." I’m excited to see them both.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Love yourself—accept yourself—forgive yourself—and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.” Leo F. Buscaglia

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • virginialee78
    Options
    Well today I feel I need to run to Kansas and back to work off the calories I consumed yesterday! lol It's quite amazing that I gained 3 pounds in one day but it's happened before. It's okay, I'm back to my blueberry/spinach smoothie concoction for breakfast and lunch...

Katla - Yes, I'm definitely an "abstainer" then... it's like an addict, I can't have a bite of just one, or I'll eat them all. Enjoy the lunch date with your two friends... I do love when I get the chance to go out to eat with friends!

Exermom - Good idea about eating a bran muffin and drinking lemon water. I should get back on that... I used to love drinking lemon water. My brother has a neat little trick he does after a meal to make him not want any more... he eats gum, the minty kind. The food doesn't taste as good after your mouth is full of mint I guess. He's lost 50 lbs.! How does it seem to be easier for the guys....

For everyone having difficult times I'm sending you all hugs! I'm feeling for what you are going through. :cry:

Debbie - I am so sorry for your loss. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Such a hard time for you, I'm sure. I'm so glad you found this group or site, again... they have already made me feel so welcome.

Vicki in NE - This will be your 28th grandchild... that's amazing!!! I only have one and can't wait to have more. After growing up with 3 brothers and having 3 sons, it was nice to have a granddaughter... a red-headed one at that! She's only 3.

Cindy - Congratulations on your upcoming grandchild as well!

Anne - I had a "fitness coach" at the Fitness 19 place I joined back in 2010 to lose weight for my middle son's upcoming wedding. She was tough and I could hardly keep up... she's have me doing push ups, then up and doing jumping jacks, then back down, and then she'd run me over to the treadmill, put the incline on the highest setting and have me run briskly for like 5 minutes or so, then back to the floor... I grew to dislike her (just kidding!) lol So I start to get a pain in both my feet in my heel... turns out I got Planter's Fasciitis and had to stop most exercise and it took me a full 2 years of a lot of pain to finally get rid of it! That was my only experience with a trainer. Oh well...

So, for Virginia Beach, Virginia, 14 degrees is way cold! But then I looked at the weather and it will be back up into the 70's by this Saturday... no wonder we all get sick around here. The saying for the Tidewater area is that if you don't like the weather, wait a few hours and it will change! Stay warm everyone... brrrrrrrr!:smile:
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Love your plan Barbie
    I plan on doing a lot of the same things minus the aniaml walking ( I don't have any).

Also eating more vegetables and finding more inventive recipes
    Listening to body when it comes to sleep and degree of fullness.
    Quitting the clean plate club.

Happy New year from Deb in cold Albuquerque, NM

Weight lost 90 lbs !!!

24806750.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,968 Member
    Options
    Good day lovely ladies! I simply love this group! Wish I had more time to read and respond to everyone. I did very well with my walking yesterday, over 9000 steps! That is excellent for me! Hope I can keep it up. If I can walk outside, I will be able to. It is going to be an icy walk today!

58 degrees yesterday and 8 degrees today! You have to love the New England weather!

Busy busy! I have to go back to work.

My SMART goals for January:
    I will lose 5 pounds by January 31 through consistently going to Curves at least 4 times a week and increasing my daily steps to average 8,000 steps a week. My ultimate goal is to weigh 145 or less pounds and be healthy by this time next year.

Amendment to goal: if I cannot make it to the gym 4 times in a week, I will exercise to my walking video for at least 30 minutes.

SMART goal - Specific, Measurable, Actionable/achievable, Realistic, and Timed.

Week 1 steps average: 6315 Curves 3 times (closed do to snow and holiday). Did my video once to make up for it.

Rita from icy CT
  • missjenniemay
    missjenniemay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good morning from a cold but gloriously sunshiny, blue skied North Carolina. I am fairly new to MFP and am so glad to find you gals! Reading your posts this morning is boosting my motivation to take the proverbial bull by the horns. I have lost weight in the past due to stress, anger, loneliness and or grief, but have not experienced long term success based on deciding to do something just for me. I am ready to do that. Take care of me in a way that only I can. With generous positive woman like you on MFP, I am feeling very confident that I can take better care of myself and achieve my health and fitness goals. Yay us!

My stats for those interested:
    Single in a committed relationship
    2 dogs
    2 cats
    love to garden and travel
    exercise of choice is walking
    52 years young
    5' 4" tall
    179lbs this morning

My goals for the next 3 months:
    Log my food everyday
    Use water to my advantage
    Exercise 30-45 minutes 5x a week
    Utilize MFP to track and find support to help me stay in a positive frame of mind and on track
    Re visit my goals and adjust at the end of 3 months
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a quick check in from work. At some point, I will find time to respond to folks individually. In the meantime, prayers for those sick and in pain, and rejoicing with those who have received good news, from the scales and otherwise.

It is very cold here! I don't know if that is the culprit or something else, but I am so stiff and sore this morning that I'm having trouble getting myself moving. Yesterday I jogged up three flights of stairs; today I could barely trudge up them. I expect my knees to act up but the muscle aches are an unwelcome surprise. Oh well, I guess that's part of this getting older thing. LOL

Off to get my yogurt for my morning snack. Stay warm and dry!!

Carol in frigid NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Debbie, I too am very sorry for your loss. Most of us can only imagine what you are going through. Please stick with us and let us know how you are doing. Hugs.

Sylvia
  • irasgirl
    irasgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I have been enjoying my vacation so I am afraid I was not able to log on for a few days.
    Jane...down 3.5!!!!! Yeah..great work!!

Ladies it is wonderful to see so many women encouraging one another!!!

Ok so I was doing a great job of combining my vacation and diet UNTIL LAST NIGHT!!!!
    I blame my DH for this...but let's face it ....I am a little bitter because he has not gained a pound in the almost 25 years we have been married...NOT FAIR!:devil:

We went to a restaurant last night near the hotel and he ordered an appetizer of .....wait for it.....Pretzels and Gouda cheese fondue...I ask you was that fair????

Anyway we are not talking about the small bite size Pretzels...oh no ...we are talking big wonderful large thick fresh Pretzles still hot from the oven!!!

I was not terrible but I certainly did not stay on my diet!

Oh well every day is a new opportunity so I am going to the gym hell or high water...or even Gouda fondue!

Have a great day every one!!
    Kathy
  • mpc63
    mpc63 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I just joined MFP...how do I sign in to your message board? Oh and by the way CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, woke up feeling pretty refreshed this morning. So good to feel refreshed.

Watching the Today Show, they are showing simple exercises you can do during commercials if you are a TV watcher, like me. I guess that's why I have my recumbent bike facing the TV!!! I don't know how these people vow to watch one hour a day. TV is my friend!!!

My physical is Thursday. I have never been anxious about my height but when I tried to measure myself, I measured 5'4". That means I am shrinking. That also means according to the BMI for that height, 179 is not out of the obese category. So I won't make my announcement until after my physical. But I am ready to be in the overweight range.

To the dear woman who is just now back after losing her husband. I agree with all of the others about taking your time and allow yourself any emotion that you feel. Don't let anyone tell you that you should be over it. I can't imagine what you are feeling. I know what I felt when I lost my Mom and I can only imagine that loosing a spouse is many times over that. My Dad died in 1998 and I still have many times I grieve his loss. I know my Mom was always ready to be with her husband in heaven but also realized that God had more for her to do here and was ready to die or be used in whatever way God intended. She was a very conservative preachers wife and associated with mainly church people except for the Moms in her preschool outreach programs. So when she moved into an assisted living/retirement community, it was quite a shock to her. there were many times she wanted to move somewhere else because she just wasn't used to adults acting like some of the adults did. But she knew hat God wanted her there and would help her through it. And He did, every day. Some days were struggles. But she found joy every day.

28 grand children!!!!! I can't imagine. Do you have times that they are all together with all the parents? Do you buy birthday and Christmas presents for all of them? I don't think my youngest daughter will ever have children. Her emphasis will always be the upkeep of foster dogs and being involved in that program. So as she grows older she will always have a family, just not a family of blood relatives, just very strong friends. And my other daughter, well, lets just say she better not have any more than 2 children. They don't have the money for anymore.

It's up to a warm sun shiny 8* with wind chill of -6*. I think our streets are OK so we will get out to the grocery store today

Joyce, Indiana
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ok, WOW, I can't keep up with all the posts and still have time to post myself. I have read all your posts but only have time to reply to a few.

Michelle - I drink a ton of water in the pool, I take a large bottle of water and leave it on the side of the pool and stop often to drink some during the aquafit class

Debbie - I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband....be kind to yourself

Barbie - I too am an "abstainer", I don't do moderation on certain foods. I too don't have them in my house. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

My Christmas tree & stuff get put away on Dec 26th. Nothing goes up until after DD's birthday on Dec 4th which is fine with me. 2 weeks is enough of Christmas, it's about all I can handle.
    I'm at work but had to have a "chat" with my car this morning to get it to start. It moaned and groaned a bit before starting. I explained that I didn't want to work either but it had to be done :laugh:
    This morning it was -26 C with the windchill of -40 C. yup that's downright cold. It's sunny and looks nice from my office but I have no desire to go out in it. I am not going to the Y in this frigid weather, I can not imagine being out more then I have to. I guess I'll be finding some workout stuff to do at home instead. Maybe the wii fit.
    I've started drinking lemon water again but only in the evenings. I have a diffuser jug so I just put the lemons in that and let it steep all day. I drink plan water all day at work.
    Gotta get back to work. You are all in my thoughts & prayers.

:heart: Sandy from brrrrrrr ON
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Good morning sending warm thoughts,

Deedee drinking water as I post. Going back for glass two.:drinker:
    That is extremely cold for you.:grumble:

Margaret - Your post about brought me to tears... I'm happy I could make you think of your Mom... she sounds lovely! My husband one time asked why I put out ALL of our Christmas ornaments, he said just leave the older, tattered ones in the box or throw them out.... I told him those are the ones I cherish the most, that bring me the most joy as I put them on the tree and take them back down and put them away... :smile:

And Joyce I love getting out my Christmas decorations for the reasons you both subscribe to in your posts. As I get them out I think about the person they came from be it my children, my mom, sister, my mom's friend Hester, one of my friends, or a relative. I do the same as I put them away. It is one of my simple pleasures.

Virginalee I also notice I overeat when I am tired or overstressed to combat those I take a nap or listen to a relaxation tape I have.

Welcome piamaria jenniemay:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kathy have a great safe trip. Somethings are worth the calories.

Carol hope you are warming up.

Rita 9.000 steps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deb NM 90 lbs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katla lunch date sounds fun:smile: !

Linda I agree it can be a good sign not hearing anything.:heart:

Amanda congrats onDD#2 love miracles.:smile::heart:

Patty like that log it before you eat it.:smile:

Cindy congrats on becoming a grandma.:smile::heart:

Anne glad had a good talk with coach and cleared the air.

Michele in NC because of our cold snap I am using my belly dancing DVD too.:smile:

Debbie so sorry for your loss. Prayers.:flowerforyou: :heart: :heart:

One of thermostats went out this morning. 54 degrees on our main level. We have hot water heat and 3-zone heat fortunately we got it back on in a hurry. 62 now. We are heading to Chicago tomorrow to be part of the audience for Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me on Thursday night. It is a radio show on public radio based out of Chicago. We will stay with DSIL. One of our sons still lives with us so I went over what to do if the furnace gives out. DSIL has computer but don't know how much time I'll have to keep up with all the posts. So stay well, warm. Off to check the tires before we go with the cold they probably need some air.

Goals:
    limit TV/computer
    contentment

Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee.:drinker:
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies:drinker:
    Laurelfisher:flowerforyou: congrats 6 lbs down
    Vicki:drinker: have a safe trip! Hope its comfortable
    Margareturk:laugh: I liked your mother’s friend Hester. Imagine,she is bringing smiles to us too!
    Heather:drinker: congrats! Take care of yourself buddy:smile: , got to plan the birthday trip to New York
    Sylvia:flowerforyou: how was the painting party? Great to know u r venturing out!
    Michelle:heart: sounds like a great pasta n chicken salad !
    Virginialee78:bigsmile: reading about all the great ladies here and how hard they work had humbled me. I remember them and it has helped me to change my mindset quite a bit. I also ate the wrong foods last night and….. frankly just hogged. But I felt I had enough exercise to compensate, but my scales told me that I was overconfident. Up 1 kg today. Yikes! Previously I would have had a pity party, but today I am taking responsibility, upping water intake and fruits. Should have exercised more too, but well….

Grandmallie :flowerforyou: so sorry about your brother
    Cindy:heart: congrats to you and the parents to be
    Tina nice to see you back:bigsmile:
    DeeDee:smile: you are such a beautiful lady
    Amanda great to see you back! Congrats on the miracle baby, you r such a fighter, inspirational:drinker:
    Kevrit love the smart goals:flowerforyou:
    Katla thanks for the warning about the knees. All others who shared their kind words about my pain in the knees.... Thank you:heart:
    I have bought myself a pair of Knee guards and am using them :bigsmile:
    I know I have missed out quite a few, best wishes to all
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!!
    warming up from -17 to-4.No school today.
    Be safe.
    hugs
    jane (IL)
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon this place

Katla
    It's good to teach our children and grandkids that Christmas don't come from the store.
    We made our grandkids gifts well the big ones anyhow. Hubby made a backhoe for the 5 year old
    Make a bunk bed set for the five year old dolls and I made the mattress and sheets and quilt pillows and cases.
    And her song at her Christmas concert was Christmas don't come from a store it was French I'm going to look for it on u tube.

Rita
    That's a lot of steps if your a beginner. I can't wait to see what the doctor will do for me and my breathing. I can't do much right now. Hope they can fix the problem.

Joyce
    Glad you fell refreshed is that the same as rejuvenate or feeling young again.
    Hope it happens to me real soon.

Sandy
    I hear you on two weeks of Christmas is plenty. I see some put the Christmas decorations up right after Halloween. I'd be so fed up probably wouldn't be a tree left for Christmas.

Anamika
    You said it but well... Up and at it today.

Well for myself I'm eating lots of chicken wings not to bad for calories but real good in the carb count. I decided I'm going to treat carbs as if I'm allergic to them. the lower the carbs the better my B/S readings.
    I called the vet about my pooches and they are doing fine. As good as can be expected they were suppose to call me after they tried them on food today. But nothing yet. But he explained to us yesterday no news is good news so we will go with that.

there's a reason why a serving of cashews is only 1/4 cup after that you've had enough. I put 1/2 cup because I couldn't find my 1/4 cup. And I couldn't eat them all was cashewed out. Ok it's not word I found it in my dictionary ok.

So I'm happy my buds will be ok. So no need for the feed bag.

See you all lighter
    Linda It's me in Northern Ontario.
  • Bonella
    Bonella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! We're up to a balmy 4 degrees here in southwestern Ohio. Unfortunately, I have to work tonight so no staying in where it's warm for me.

I'm surprisingly not too sore today. My abs are feeling it a little, but I think I have stayed active enough that the rest of me hasn't gotten too out of shape.

Debbie, so sorry for your loss :heart: Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Congrats to the new grandmas to be! :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Got to the gym this morning and found my iPod was totally dead. Well...lesson learned. If I'm planning to do any workout that involves my iPod, the night before be sure that it's charged. Another lesson I lerned is not to wear earrings when working out (unless I'm working out at home). I had this one pair from Madrid and lost one of them.

So I did what I THINK the routine was, did 1 min on the treadmill at 4mph, 40 sec at 4.5mph, then 20 sec at 5mph for an hour. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a Bosu Total Body Workout DVD. then we have the Newcomer general meeting, then senior bowling from 1-4 (about), come home and grab some dinner, back to the bowling alley for Newcomer bowling.

I'm constantly amazed that these people who do the DVD's don't have to drink water. Whenever I do one, I usually finish at least 24oz.

Wish there was a piece of equipment that would ACCURATELY tell me how many calories I burned. Like today, the machine was telling me how many calories I burned, but it was going on the assumption that you were walking on the treadmill at a constant pace. Well, I wasn't. I'm sure I burned more calories when I was running than when I was recovering. So the number on the machine is, to me, bogus

Joyce - thanks for sharing about your ornaments. How lovely! Ever since Vince and I got married, each year I've bought an ornament with the year on it. It's interesting...you can see how in the early years I got the less expensive dated ornaments, but now I've been able to buy more expensive ones.

Cindy - hugh, hugh congrats!!!!

Amanda - please explain more of the "head hunger" to me, I may have missed when you first explained it. Feel better fast! Who needs a gall bladder anyway? It's just extra weight....lol No, really, I know that it's necessary. Good luck to you on the operation. Congrats on being a grandma. You must have told us about it while I was in Europe. I can totally understand you wanting to be with her. I can't believe the grandtwins are ALREADY three. Have I been on MFP that long? I remember when they were born (am I old or what?)

Kay - exercise is a great healer. Just think -- if you didn't exercise the osteopenia might have turned into osteoporosis.

pds - my deepest sympathies to you

Anne - I sure hope your fitness coach wasn't just saying that it wouldn't happen again, but makes sure that it doesn't. I'll be interested to see what happens in the future

I need to ice that chocolate fudge cake for Vince. Now would probably be a really good time to do it since I've just had a bran muffin and a fair amount of water, which means that I'm pretty full

katla - so glad you can get back to yoga. I know how much you love it

missjenniemay - ANOTHER NCer! Welcome! Whereabouts in NC are you?

Carol in NC - I was a bit stiff this morning, too. After exercise, I was going thru some coupons, dropped some, and seemed to be having trouble picking them up

piamaria - welcome

margaret - belly dancing is a great core exercise. I just hope I'm doing it right

Linda - I like making Christmas gifts. I usually do it all year long, do some sort of craft. It means so much more when it's something handmade. I don't think I'd ever start putting up Christmas decorations at least until after Thanksgiving. Well, your Thanksgiving is in early October. Oh, how I wish ours was, too! Glad to hear the dogs are doing well

Well, going to Mexican Train dominoes tonight. I'm going to be careful about what I have there. I did make Vince a chocolate fudge cake but I'll take some of these cheese crackins with me.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am an abstainer also. Since we don't eat supper at home I don't have a lot in my pantry/refrig/freezer. I rely heavily on restaurant websites to get calorie counts and nutritional info to make my choices. Then I pretty much stick with those things all the time. My husband is one who likes to go to the same places. So I am very aqcuainteded with the chicken salad at Texas Roadhouse, grilled chicken at Denny's and potato crusted flounder at Bob Evans. I pretty much have a side salad everywhere, hold the cheese and croutons please, and fat free ranch. I do love honey mustard and have that in my chicken salad and I count that. I go light on how much dressing I put on my salads. But cereals, breads except healthy Life 35 calorie bread and English muffins, rolls, potatoes, pastas are pretty much no nos in my diet. Also deserts. I do have Life cereal and Shredded wheat in my pantry for DG and I occasionally eat one biscuit of Shredded wheat with a sweet and low. I have never, never, never liked a lot of milk in my cereal. I just general don't like milk at all.

Michelle in NC, I would imagine those ornaments from early on in your marriage mean just as much as the more expensive ones though. That is a sweet tradition. Do you pick them out together? My Mom and sister were preschool directors and teachers and they have some really precious ornaments. And Dad, being a pastor of small churches also had precious ornaments. I always loved Mom's tree. It told such a story. Although themed Christmas trees are pretty, I prefer ones that tell a story for generations and generations. I have some of the ornaments that were on my Dad's parents tree. When one of my brothers first got married they had little money to spend on presents and he gave each family home made ornaments made of eggs that you put a little hole in the egg, blow out the contents and then create something. Somehow they cut one in half and put a nativity scene in one for my parents. Just beautiful.

Linda in Ontario, I hope you feel better also. Do you just have the blues? I LOVE cashews, especially the salted ones. That is one good thing about my Mom not being alive anymore. She always had salted cashews around. I think she probably would have put them away if she knew I was coming over. She was just like that. I hope your dogs feel better soon. Don't go to low on your carbs, they are still very important to a diabetic.

We braved the cold and went to the grocery store today. With a wind chill of 5*, it's warm today. I don't think I can get DH to not go get his usual Monday or Tuesday Hacienda burrito combo tonight. I finally found something there I can eat within my diet but I get tired of it. But it is so important to him to go. He is killing himself but it is his decision to eat all the red meat and fried foods he does.

Joyce, indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Just got back from my Womens Institute meeting. We had a woman speaker from a radio programme talking about Grow Your Own Veg. She didn't say anything I didn't know, but I am encouraged to grow some baby tomatoes this year in a pot. My yoga friend was with me and it was nice to put a skirt on and look a bit smart. Next month it is crochet and lace making.
    Last night I accomplished one of my Jan goals - try a new recipe. It was Lemon Spicy King Prawns. Very yummy. Basically a wok made curried prawn, but with extra lemon grass and a bit of lemon zest. Yum! I had it with spinach and shiritaki noodles.
    My DDIL'S books have arrived. They look very pretty in their different colours. I have started reading, This Book Will Make You Happy. Here's hoping!:laugh: :laugh: :drinker:

Still a bit coldy, more sinus. Knee improving.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Michele
    I'm going to start on my Christmas presents earlier this year. Instead of all that baking I think they will get sewing I'm going to get busy making pot holders, hot dish mats to put on table all quilted. Getting a like for that. And the size of the little quilts I made for granddaughter would be just the right size about 10 by 14 could put a nice lasagna on the table. I like the towel to put on oven door with the quilted top.

Joyce
    The vet called in around 4:30 and the dogs won't eat. First of all they tried canned dog food and they will only eat one kind of that it's the rice and meat. And they are probably so stressed in not knowing where we are. They won't eat. But he says there's no more pain and he's suppose to call tomorrow.

As for myself all is well. Or should I say as good as can be expected. My eating wasn't all bad the cashews fit in my daily allowance. The only thing I'd like to be able to exersice but that will have to wait till I see a doctor.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario