WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening! I finally got out of the house today on my own for the first time since the heart cath. I took my son for lunch, then hit an antique mall to buy handmade Barbie dresses, then to Big Lots, then Walmart, then the IGA store. Whew! I got a little tired toward the end, but felt good. No angina or dizziness. Now I'm resting before starting to make supper.

My son has somehow become a mature adult. I don't know how it happened, but he even turned down my offer of financial help. He said he had it under control. When his wife moved out she left him high and dry, even taking the furniture, but he's working through it. I'm starting to feel like there is hope for him yet. He's 38 years old, so he ought to have been at this stage long ago, but some of us are slow bloomers. I suddenly had the strangest feeling, like the overwhelming weight of responsibility for everybody and everything suddenly slipped off my shoulders. It feels pretty good, I must say. Just hope it lasts.

I too am an abstainer about many things. I don't even take a bite of fried foods, chips and salsa, Chinese food, cookies, crackers. Other things I can eat a little of and say that's enough. Like chocolate, 321 cake, ice cream. Hubby can buy a regular Hershey bar, break off a fourth of it for me and I'm good with that. Don't know why.

Well, hubby just got home, so I'd better figure out something for supper. Have a great evening.

Sylvia
  • Sherrib490
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a newbie just starting today. I lost 23lbs last year and managed to put some of it back on in the fall. Not sure how much because I' m afraid to get on the scale. I started logging food again which I know is the key to my success. My exercise goal is do 45 min of cardio and 15 min of weights daily.

We moved to a very rural area 5 years ago and I work out of my home so any exercise I get is purposeful. There's no walking through a mall, riding my bike through the neighborhood- things I really miss. I put quite a bit of weight on as my life style changed tremendously when we moved here. I always went to a gym and I can't do that here. So I walk by the lake and ride my bike in nice weather but now I relegated to the treadmill and walking tapes.

I'm hoping I can get the support I need here and looking forward to a great support system!

Sherri
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Welcome to global warming!:laugh: We got up to +10 degrees today after being in the minus category for days. My husband's VW still won't start so we are driving the truck. It is diesel and gets plugged in every night. Had my MRI of the liver today, should get results the end of the week.

Joyce - Consider this a shove in the right direction. GET THEE TO THE Y ON FRIDAY!!!:happy:

Anne - Good for you talking to your coach about your concerns. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Deb in Albuquerque - I am with you on the "clean plate club". I resign! Hard thing to do though for me. Seems like such a waste and I know it comes from childhood when we had to clean our plates or no dessert. What kid doesn't want dessert? Well I am an adult now and can eat dessert first or only if I choose so time to stop feeling guilty about not eating everything on my plate.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hello to all my fitness buddies. It was warmer here today, around 20 for the high even though this morning was still below zero wind chill, but I think we are done with the extreme cold for now.

Went to work, weighed in, not a pretty sight. I did really well food-wise over the holidays, but the last week was a total mess. Plus I really didn’t exercise much at all the last few weeks, so up 2.5 pounds. That’s the first time I’ve gained anything more than ½ pound or so water weight. It’s ok and will be gone before long.

I am thankful today that we are able to stay warm in our house without broken heaters or pipes and grateful that I realized how much I love my job when I went back today after nearly 3 weeks off.

Molly you have some great goals

Margaret: well I’m limiting TV right with you, but that’s because it mysteriously won’t come on right now! I am SO jealous! I LOVE Wait wait don’t tell me!

Linda: sending you good wishes to stave off your cravings and for the babies. I sure hope they are better by now

Joyce: I have been known to have those stress induced hibernations too! A test bank accompanies a textbook and has questions in it that faculty can use on their exams. Writing test questions to match the boards is hard and many people don’t do it well, so they are happy when their textbook comes with 3500 test questions already written for them. Call me a nerd but I LOVE writing test questions!

Sue: sure hope that headache is all gone now!

Rose: what a loss! Congratulations!

Barbie: “mindful”…I like that

Vicki: 28 grandkids??? Holy cow! Congratulations and drive safely

Michele: my dad is in a nursing home…a skilled nursing facility. He and mom lived in assisted living until she died, and then he
    got very ill and has never recovered, so he can’t go back. He can’t even turn himself over in bed alone.

Debbie: hi and welcome to our group. I’m so sorry about your loss and that you are so sad. I hope your memories help you at this time. It’s hard to make positive changes in your life while you are grieving so be kind to yourself.

Anne :good for you to have that little chat with the fitness coach. Not showing up is not acceptable!

Alison; how is your brother doing?

Cindy: now you’ll be grandmammacindy! Congratulations!

Tazgirl: your comment about the cold reminded me of a time when we went on a cruise then when we got back did an everglades tour by air boat. It was in the 40s and we were wearing jackets and the Floridians were bundled up like Eskimos! It was really funny!

Amanda: sorry your knees are bothering you. I’m excited too to hear all about the new grandbaby! Your enthusiasm is contagious!

KYAlice: good for you to bundle up and get out there

DeeDee: stay warm!

Patty: ;I get caught up at my desk too, so I have planned a 10 minute walk each day after lunch on “office days”

Kay: our dog had pancreatitis too then had to have his gallbladder out so is also on low fat diet. It’s hard to find dry food at 4% fat or less…actually pretty impossible. Our canned food is 4% and we are using an 8% dry food for the small amount of that he gets, but I may have to start making him no-fat “granola” because he needs something to chomp on.

Liz: I am intrigued by the “meal for the week”. What is that…one big thing you eat over and over or a big piece of meat you make several meals from?

Linda: I’m sure your vet is keeping the babies comfortable with pain and nausea medication. (((hugs)))

Katla: you are a dear to remind me to take care of myself too. That’s what I thought about when I was awake all night last night (I had an epic 3-hour hot flash)…my resolution was to put myself first and I plan to work on the book as hard as I can AFTER I come home and exercise!

Virginialee: wow that is cold for you. Can you shiver off those extra pounds?

Deb: watch your mail for a virtual dog you can walk! Fabulous weight loss!

Rita: drop in when you can! Stay warm up there.

Missjennymay you are so right about this group of women! They will inspire you

Carol: keep moving those stiff body parts!

Kathy: mmmmmmmmm is all I can say!

Piamaria: welcome aboard! You have joined just by posting

Sandy: all our decorations stay up until after Russian Christmas…the 7th, so we’ll have to get that done now

Anamika: great attitude…so positive!

Jane: wow it’s a heat wave!

Sherrib: welcome to the group!

Well gals it’s time to get the dog fed and the exercise done before dinner! Let’s hope for no more hot flashes to keep me awake tonight. They don’t usually bother me, but the one last night lasted 3 hours. UGH.
    Take care and stay warm! Meg from chilly Omaha
  • Mandyg43
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

More bad news :sad: My knee has decided to play up. It started on Saturday when I got to DSIL'S. It was fine during my gymming, but I might have overextended it without

Heather from saturated Hampshire UK. It's just stopped raining. Take care in the cold! Thinking of you.:heart:

I read that your knee was playing up because of 'oversexting'. Spat my tea out when I realised my mistake. Should get to specsavers :glasses:
  • SusieQLondon
    SusieQLondon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    I joined in November 2013, and am so glad to see a community of 50-ish women here. Will post more in future, just wanted to say hi and Happy New Year now. Susie from London, Ontario.:drinker:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi Meg
    The doctor called about the dogs there's no pain but they won't eat. But I tried to tell the doctor there used to eating only a few different kinds of food. And to much table foods. That will have to stop. I'm going to look for recipes on line made with rice or pasta and lean meats. Think I'm going to be making there food then I know what there getting. Hopefully I can bring them home tomorrow.

So just wanted to put that here as you asked about them.

Linda
  • Tenacity149
    Tenacity149 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Any room for another newbie? I joined a couple of days ago and am still trying to find my way around. To introduce myself, I live in Portland, OR, have 9 children, 5 grandsons, and 3 cats. I want to lose 114 pounds and am looking for some support.

Christine
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: The cold weather has switched to rain so I have to walk with my hood pulled over my head but I didn’t have to worry about ice on the road…..a good trade-off

:flowerforyou: Michele, how do you like belly dancing? I bring a 24 ounce bottle of water with me to my line dance class and drink it all.

:flowerforyou: Debbie, welcome, and:brokenheart: .. sorry to hear about your husband…..this is a very friendly supportive community.

:bigsmile: Anne, good news about your fitness coach

:bigsmile: Cindy, congrats on the upcoming grandbaby.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, you’ve had a very challenging time medically lately……wow, your grandtwins are three years old……we’ve known each other since before they were born.

:flowerforyou: KYAlice, you have made a great beginning on a fitness routine……just keep going

:flowerforyou: Patty, that’s a great plan to set the timer so you get up and walk at lunchtime.

:bigsmile: Kay, congrats on your good bone density results…..clearly the exercise is working for you.

:flowerforyou: Deb, from Albuquerque, on the days that our dogs were boarded, I walked in the morning without them and I sometimes walk with a friend…..congrats on your weight loss so far.

:flowerforyou: Rita, the year we had a lot of snow that turned to ice, the only place I could safely walk my dogs was in the field behind the house so the dogs and I walked around and around the perimeter of the field for two hours every morning…sort of boring but I didn’t want to miss my walk.

:flowerforyou: Missjenniemay, you’ve made a great start on your journey….keep coming back

:flowerforyou: Piamaria, you joined just by posting…..welcome

:flowerforyou: Joyce, TV is my friend, too and I don’t just sit and watch…..I am active or doing my knitting while watching.

:flowerforyou: Sandy from ON…..do you have any yoga or other fitness DVDs to use at home when the weather keeps you in?

:flowerforyou: Margaret, we love “Wait, wait, don’t tell me” and listen to it every week…..lucky you to be in the audience

:flowerforyou: Anamika, knee guards, what a great idea.

:bigsmile: Linda in ON, good news about your dogs (our dogs are fussy eaters, too----when they were boarded last weekend someone made a mistake and tried to feed them the facility food instead of what we packed for them and they wouldn’t eat it so they were very hungry when we picked them up)……I can’t be moderate with cashews so I don’t eat any.

:bigsmile: Sylvia, what good news about your son taking responsibility for himself….some sons just grow up slower than others.

:flowerforyou: Sherri, if you come back to this thread every day and join in the conversation, you will get the support you are looking for.

:flowerforyou: Meg, it’s great to hear that you love your job….i loved my job up ‘til the day I retired and after that nothing in the world would have gotten me to go back.

:flowerforyou: Susie, from London, ON…..welcome….I look forward to getting to know you better

:flowerforyou: Christine from Portland, OR, welcome…..we are glad you are here…..you will find lots of support and encouragement…some of the women in this group have lost well over 100 pounds and others are aiming for loss of a lot of weight.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: ..This has been my day to catch up on a lot of little chores that have piled up. Jake built a fire so the dogs and I have been toasty warm inside all day. I spent some time in the “hobby room” practicing some of my favorite line dances.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

:bigsmile: 20,000 steps today…3 minute 40 second plank

:bigsmile: .My word for 2014 is “Mindful” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to be present in all that I do

January Resolutions
    *dance at least three dances a day for extra practice
    *yoga twice a week (three times would be better)
    *play with Bernie the cat at least 5 minutes a day
    *don’t take things personally
  • Carlene710
    Carlene710 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. New to program since the 4th. Love the tool, it helps. Not sure how to do this , hope to set a good example. Carlene in South Carolina
  • Carlene710
    Carlene710 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Tenacity, I'm also new, started on Saturday the 4th. I lost 12 lbs last year with Tops and I will continue. I want to do better this year. I want to stay better focused.:wink:
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I am so worried about the pipes. Just waiting for the "thaw" and boom...pipes will bust and I will have a major mess on my hands, especially the pipes in the north wall. ugh!

Michelle- guess what? I have been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred! I can't believe it! Day 3. Tomorrow morning I am going to take measurements and see if there is any change in ...30 days! I already took pics and they're scary to look at. :noway:

Debbie- so sorry to hear of your husband's passing. Stay with us and let us know how you're doing. There are so many wonderful women on this thread who have been through your loss, they will be a great source of comfort for you.. Stay strong, we are here for you.

Meg- my dad lives with us, and he has caregivers during the day who feed him because he shakes so much. Sometimes I feed him esp if it's something I don't want to see on the floor. Some foods he manages with his hands, but multi-ingredient foods always fall apart and scatter around him. Then he gets frustrated. I think it is a good idea to have your father's caregivers help him eat, that's what you pay them for. Also, when dad was in the nursing home for 2 weeks, I had them make protein smoothies for him with all the added vit C powder, fiber powder and blueberries. I bought the ingredients and gave them to the kitchen. He loved them and still has them everyday in the morning...says they are refreshing.

Really enjoyed Downton Abbey last Sunday. Mrs. Hughes is the best...she's such a wise woman. I read where the women of Downton are achievers while the men are hapless. lol. Julian Fellowes grew up in a household of strong women...go Jullian!

Susan
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. New to program since the 4th. Love the tool, it helps. Not sure how to do this , hope to set a good example. Carlene in South Carolina

:bigsmile: Hi Carleen, welcome to the friendliest most supportive group of women you'll ever meet. The way to get the most out of this thread is to come back to it every day and read what has been written since you last posted. You don't have to respond to everyone, but you might find some posts that you want to comment on, or questions you want to ask. Tell us about yourself and others will respond to you.

:flowerforyou: I found this thread when I first joined MFP and I'd never posted anything online.....it didn't take me long to feel like part of the community. I have used the food and exercise trackers from the very beginning and my life has changed as a result..

I am retired so I have a lot of time to use for exercise and activities for myself......i live with my husband, two Standard Poodles and a cat and I love my life.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful rainy NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I am so worried about the pipes. Just waiting for the "thaw" and boom...pipes will bust and I will have a major mess on my hands, especially the pipes in the north wall. ugh!

Did you turn off your water? Did you call a plumber? They have ways of safely thawing frozen pipes. I know it is expensive but is cheaper than burst pipes. Good luck.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

More bad news :sad: My knee has decided to play up. It started on Saturday when I got to DSIL'S. It was fine during my gymming, but I might have overextended it without

Heather from saturated Hampshire UK. It's just stopped raining. Take care in the cold! Thinking of you.:heart:

I read that your knee was playing up because of 'oversexting'. Spat my tea out when I realised my mistake. Should get to specsavers :glasses:

Mandy:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening ladies, I had a long day at work, had dinner ,exercised and read the latest posts.
    :heart: Thank you everyone for your support and words of encouragement
    :flowerforyou: It is so wonderful to hear about so many different places and to share this journey with such a large group of caring and compassionate women.
    :cry: Debbie I am so sorry to hear about your husband. To all of the ladies out there who have lost their spouses, my heart goes out to you.

:heart: I am sending a dove to heaven with a parcel on it's wings
    be careful when you open it It's full of beautiful things
    Inside are a million kisses wrapped in a million hugs
    to say how much I missed you and send you all my love.

I hold you close within my heart and there you will remain.
    To walk with me throughout my life, until we meet again.

:yawn: I hear my warm bed calling my name:yawn:
    :wink: Until tomorrow...:smile: Everyone stay safe and warm from Rose in frozen Delaware
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Forevergreatful
    Options
    Hello... I would love to join this forum. I am new to this program. So far so good. I have added all my food in and drank all my water. I would love to be a part of a group so we can motivate each other. Lorraine:smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I had a lovely day with two longtime friends :heart: and now I’m so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open. Best wishes to everyone. I’ll have to start from here tomorrow.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Love yourself—accept yourself—forgive yourself—and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.” Leo F. Buscaglia

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bumping in to mark where I've read through -- what a chatty bunch, we are!

Struggling to get back in any routine after the holidays, but today I left the office by 6:15p and walked for 1/2 hour. A small start back at it.

The wrist brace is definitely cramping my activity and work function. Let's just say my typing is a bit spotty, so I have to really pay attention! I found a smaller OTC one that better frees up the rest of the digits, but initially bought it in the small and needed the next size up. My thumb kept going to sleep! Haven't done the exchange yet.

Kudos to those who live in frozen winter climbs -- we don't like it herein the south! Yikes... thank goodness it is short lived for us.

Good to see old and new friends posting!

Off to my warm bed

Gail, metro ATL
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Just a note to keep my place! We woke up here, in the southern part of Canada, where we are lucky if Christmas is white over the last 50 years, to find the wind chill at -49 F! It has not been this cold since I was starting primary school, and the bus was so delayed by the cold I had to walk back home to keep warm, hopefully to miss a day of school!

Yet it was the clearest, most beautiful day out there! The snow was at its whitest, the green of the cedars was magnificent, and the earth sparkled like a jewel.

Aren't we lucky?

And, oh yes, and the powers that be cancelled university today!

Stay warm my friends!

BJ, SWOntario