WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I got a lot accomplished today but spending time on MFP wasn’t part of the accomplishment. I took the first steps toward getting the income tax done, learned some new dances and practiced some old ones and walked the dogs for more than three hours.

:flowerforyou: It was below freezing this morning when I walked the dogs but into the 40’s during the afternoon.

:flowerforyou: Jake fixed lunch today
    packaged hot and sour soup with pad thai noodles, cut up chicken breast, cauliflower, and extra spices……..a bit high on sodium but yummy not too high calorie.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Jane, happy birthday…..you deserve great treatment and much happiness….that was a great compromise of having your cake and not overdoing it

:flowerforyou: I won’t enter the debate about eating back your exercise calories, but what I found important was to budget the calories I consume so that I get the most food and the most nutrition for whatever number of calories I’m consuming

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington home of the awesome Seahawks

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ..24,000 steps today ----
    “All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    bump 4 l8tr
    lost my post :-(
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Nottingham Community Coach of the year is a significant honor. Congratulations to your son, and to you for raising a fine man.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Your sister sounds like my mother. I bypassed some of the worst of her fears and issues, but they certainly affected me. Best wishes for your DH’s health.:flowerforyou:

Janehhadji: Your birthday cake plan is brilliant. Kuchen is a form of coffeecake. My grandmother and her sisters competed to have the best at each family gathering and they were always cooked on enormous baking pans, and served right from those pans. I always thought Grandma’s were best. The rascal didn’t share the recipe with us, though. I guess she thought we’d compete with her. :ohwell: It is impossible to know because she developed alzheimer’s before it was even a named disease.:cry:

Rita: I hope all is well. Let us know when you can.:flowerforyou:

Laura: I’m following the water goals, but not perfectly. I am feeling better and think they are making a difference. I plan to keep them in the future.:flowerforyou:

Vicki: Congratulations on your competition. It sounds like you’re doing it for all the right reasons. Good luck. Congratulations on your size change!!! Bling is a great idea.:bigsmile:

Joyce: You’ll have to envision scooter races to see who has to do dishes and who gets to claim victory, but only if the vision helps you both smile. I have seen some amazing things on TV that they’re doing for Parkinson’s to reduce symptoms and improve quality of life. I’ll keep your DH in my prayers.:flowerforyou:

Meg: A thousand thank yous for the brisket instructions. :flowerforyou: Congratulations on crossing your legs. It is a big deal.:bigsmile:

Sue in SD: Global warming is everywhere. It is in the floods in Colorado last fall, the deep freeze in the midwest and east this year, and the drought facing California. Warming may be a misnomer, though. There is definitely change and seeming instability.:frown:

Marfeez: When you post you’ll be able to find us under “My Topics.” Since you’ve posted and that is how to find us again, you’re in. Welcome.:flowerforyou:

Kalley: Arrange to meet your brother in a neutral location. It may be the best thing you do for yourself in years. If not, you still have your privacy.:flowerforyou:

Carol: If you put a sign on your door saying that you’re working on W2s I’ll bet people won’t be offended the door is closed.:flowerforyou:

Michelle: Good luck getting your infusion authorized. It is going to happen, the question is will it happen without a bunch of hassle. I wish I had great advice about your daughter, but I still get upset with mine and it gets me nowhere. She’s an adult and does things her way.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Congratulations on a productive day.:flowerforyou:

I went for a short walk outdoors in the sunshine today. It felt good. Later I took a nap. I know I’m getting better but wish it was a speedier process. I had to miss yoga. I hope I feel good enough to go Thursday.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump to mark my place

Juanita in sudbury
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump

Happy Birthday, Jane H.

Eileen near San Diego
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,116 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! B*U*M*P........

Lin in Central Iowa
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump for later - lots of catching up to do but must go and exercise now, thank goodness it's my long weekend, hope to catch up with all the posts then.

:drinker: Have a good day ladies.

Viv (Back to rain)York UK :ohwell: Mind you I'd rather have rain than the frost!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    X marks my spot ... off to the doctor now x
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Good morrning! We have (temporary) sunshine!

Joyce - so sorry about the Parkinsons diagnosis, but I agree with Katla, it is one illness where they have made great strides and are near to a breakthrough.:smile:

Meg - whoohoo for the knee crossing! :flowerforyou:

Vicki - rock that bling!

Good luck to all those, Michele, Amanda, etc who have doctor appointments.

My knee is improving slowly so today I did a little bit of HIIT on the rower as I reckoned that would stress it the least. It feels OK at the moment, but last time I didn't feel it until the evening. I pushed more with the good leg. I noticed at the end that I had equalled my personal best.:bigsmile: I only did 3 HIIT intervals. Of course DH best his pb on the elliptical by 26 secs. AGAIN! :noway: :laugh:
    My resistance bands came in the post, but I haven't got round to using them yet. I've really got them for knee strengthening exercises. I will look up those SMAK ones. I do quite a lot already, but as I have had trouble with my left knee for 48 years the thigh on that side is still thinner than the right as I have favoured the right for so long. I saw a physio and she helped me enormously as I was almost crippled at one point, hardly being able to get into my trousers or climb a kerb. The problem, according to her is that the patella does not run true down the groove. The only solution, apart from a total replacement id to strengthen the muscles, hence the bands etc.
    It was horrible having such a bad knee in London. Every time a crowd of people walked towards me I couldn't hop out of their way so just had to stand there. I had to think every time I placed my foot anywhere. At least I will now have more sympathy for people with mobility problems! The lady in the wheelchair, how did you get there? (Sorry, very nosy)

Barbie - I was struck by how much we both enjoyed our weekends, and how different they were. I think one of the advantages of increasing age is that we know what we like and we get less afraid of asking for what we want. I am sure your ice hockey games were an example of you experiencing the height of Mindfulness and Paying Attention and for me the meal we had with the accompanying wines was also like a Tasting Meditation, every single mouthful an exquisite taste sensation and never to be forgotten. In my memory it has the quality of a wonderful shining moment.:bigsmile:

I shall be booking my flights today. I find it a bit scary becsuse, with economy, you can't change your mind. Also replying to a letter I received from an old student who wrote to my publisher to forward a letter to me. It was so sweet, telling me she had finished, after ten years, a novel she started in my classes and telling me how grateful she is for all my inspiration. :blushing: To tell you the truth I can't even remember her. :noway:
    I will also make some chocolate fudge cake for DH. I make it in cupcakes so I can freeze it for him. He has put on 9 lbs since last Jan, but still only has a BMI of 20.7. Grrrrrrr!

Love to all, must get on with hairwashing.
    Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    well I think we got about 10 inches of the fluffy white stuff, thank goodness it is not the heavy stuff, have had my lemon water and am dressed to go out and shovel he deck and make a path for the dogs,and then snowblow.I dont know what time I am going into work today,but I better be going.
    Carol, you said something about Big Mac casserole what is that,sounds yummy..
    Sean is my brother ,Jeff is the one that stays at the homeless shelter that comes to visit,I am hoping he didnt go there last night.
    the dogs are still in bed, you know they have it rough :wink:
    well off I go, wish me luck with the windchill it is about 5 below zero:angry:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, looking forward to a day without rain. Will come back later.
    Have a good day!

Cynthia
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. Just a quick drop in, have not been feeling well for about 2 weeks now, :sick: finally went to Dr, yesterday, 2 ear infections and sinus infection, that would explain it. Have been working all this time, but think I will take today off and rest. :yawn: Hopefully this will pass soon.

Have read the post just haven't had much energy to reply. :frown:

Tina in Florida

Hope everyone has a Blessed and Wonderful Day! :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Laura80111:smile: It is so good to see you here again:bigsmile: !!! I always enjoyed reading your posts and hearing about all the wildlife you would see bike riding:love: ! Congrats on the upcoming new granddaughter:love: , a little girl to go with all those sweet little boys, I bet you are over the moon!!!

Carol in NC:smile: You`re in Greensboro right? I`m in Winston, and did not see even a tiny flake of snow:cry: , just rain:frown: ! I was actually hoping for a little bit to be on the ground! Hope you get things done in the office today, good luck!

Heather:smile: Congrats on such a fantastic award for your son:flowerforyou: !!! You should be very proud!!! Hope your knee continues to improve!

Meg:smile: Crossing your legs:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: , that was one of my goals:laugh: !!!

Michele:smile: I don`t have a problem driving in the snow, it`s the ice I don`t like:noway: . Did you have any snow in your area? It totally missed me:cry: , I would have liked to at least seen a flake or two! I did go to the Fresh Market yesterday and thought it was crazy there, wondered if it was because of the weather, then I got inside and remembered on Tuesdays they have great specials in the meat dept., it`s always busy on Tuedays:laugh: .

Tina:smile: Sure hope you get to feeling better:flowerforyou: !!!

My day with my youngest granddaughter was fabulous:love: ! We shopped for shoes, she got a pair of boots, black and pink and sparkly, 2 new pairs of tennis shoes with sparkles and they light up (to be honest I loved one pair and wished they had come in my size:tongue: , my friends at the track would have loved them:laugh: ). We actually road around on the golf cart:noway: , only a few minutes though, it was just too cold, we went up the driveway and across the street to see my brother, and then she convinced me to go again up the driveway, we were both freezing when we got in, but it was fun:laugh: !

Time to get myself ready, get the behind up, if I sit too long the behind gets numb:embarassed: :laugh: ! Hope everyone has a marvelous Wednesday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cold NC
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Oh my goodness, just accidentally posted this in a creepy thread about someone's husband paying her to lose weight:

Had the page saved from last night and couldn't figure out where everyone was...haha.

Good Morning to all,

Because I don't like to share my peaceful space as much as my exercise equipment during my time, I was up at 5 and am done with the treadmill. HAH!

Have to get my boy up and ready for school. Can't wait to feel the below zero temps. Mornings like this when I miss living in Florida. Thankful for down.

Catch up with ya'll in a bit.
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    gmom316 .. LOL!!! i nearly pee'd when I read your post about the guy paying his wife to lose weight !!! then I thought about it a bit more and heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy that's not a bad idea LOL .. how much? .. or how about, "hey honey, if I reach my goal I want a new car!" hahaha I love it!

Well good morning all of you leaner looking goddesses.

It's freakin cold here in Niagara -17 and lovely (going to be nearly 40F) up in Anchorage (my husband is so spoiled) !

This is just a drive-by post to say hey and keep up with the thread. I'll catch up tonight. Time to move my body, make some skinny french toast, or butternut squash for breakfast , feed mum - hug her - kiss her - let her know how much she is loved - then get back to work. Have a great day all .. drink your water .. log your food .. move your body.

Marni (Canookie)
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    No replies right now I'm so far behind.

But am back and hopefully for more than a day. Didn't bother coming when I was stress and emotionally eating. But I got good news yesterday. went for stress test and got 97% of it done. Enough for the doctor to see what was going on. He don't think there is any concerns over blockage. But will know more once the echo gram is done.

So stress eating is over now it's on to a good day. So far it's good.

For those of you who are suffering in this very cold weather and with colds yourself take care.
    For those of you tackling this weight problem and succeeding good for you.
    For those of us having a tough time of it. Let's smarten up and get this act in gear.
    Together we can.

See you all lighter
    Linda in -38 Northern Ontario weather. Am I going out or back to bed. Been up since 5:30 Guess which one won. LOL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    LinC: I've been thinking about you. I'm glad you're getting some good news from testing. Remember to stop by for your daily Vitamin F. It is a lifesaver, in my experience.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!...Cannot believe we are on the 3rd part :noway: ...my word that came fast.....We are getting a Blizzard here today...strong winds and lots of snow...good thing I went out yesterday to the library.....now I have some books to read....
    I hope every ones day has started off well...or evening...I have been in so much pain..had to get up during the night and take some meds...they are wearing off ...so the strong pain is back :cry: ...cannot do each one today but I will read the posts...Any one with birthdays **Happy Birthday**.....any who have lost lbs * * congrats**...I lost a lb!!!!! Yay!! ...now I hope it doesn't try to return :grumble: ...those little buggers are tricky and can slip back real quick :angry:
    Wishing you All a wonderful day!!!

Hugs!!
    Liz from Halifax NS (Canada)