Ready for the New Year Resolution's gym attack?

Options

Replies

• nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I recently bought my own weights so I won't be enjoying the New Years Resolution bump. Just remember that it only lasts until mid-February and if some of those resolutionists stick with it and become awesome then that's a win.

Pro-tip from last year-- most newbies won't be there in the early afternoon. For some reason. (I've heard at other gyms it's first thing in the morning but mine is always packed from 5-7 a.m.)

Yeah I figure, if I can get through the next several weeks then only the serious people will be left & that will be awesome.
  • MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Options
    I'm ready to workout at home for the next couple weeks, then I'll slowly start hitting my gym agian.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    think of all the poor newbies who'll be spending half their time taking the heavy plates left by the lazy regulars off the machines they're trying to use, and queueing for a bench or machine occupied by the hogs that won't share or work in,
    no wonder so many of them leave after a short time
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    How about spending some extra time there and helping some of the Resolutioners, as you call them. Then maybe they will stick with it and become regulars and next year they can complain also. We all started somewhere.

Not a paid trainer, sorry.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Yeah maybe.

But there have already been threads on this...

Be nice to them, you were new once.
    And you join date is about the same time as resolutioners (as is mine - 1/2/12).

If you cant be nice, find another time to go so its less crowded. Or work out at home if you can (jealous of you have a gym in your house)

So that means I can't post my own? And I never said I would be mean to anyone. Also my join date on here, doesn't represent the time I started working out.

You're a peach.

Get off the high horse.
    A lot of the 'resolutioners' dont know what they're doing in regards how to use the machines or gym etiquette. So if it bothers you so much, help them. Even though you aren't a paid trainer. Itll take a few minutes out of your day and make your gym time more tolerable once they learn

As are you. I have no issues asking people if they are done with a machine. I'm not going to actually help people work out is what I was referring to.
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options
    It's ok, the gym is always full to the brim this time of year. By valentines day the majority will have 'thrown the towel in'
    I go to the work gym, Sony just change my lunch time to the afternoon in between normal lunch and home time, it's so much quieter, and there are less shrieking girlies in their packs who, honestly, don't need to be in there, and have taken it up as a new year resolution with their friends and don't intend on keeping it :p

On the plus side, it is usually the best time to find someone new to become a gym buddy!

You at SCEE?

Nope, Adastral park Ipswich
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Your lucky, I would love to start that early! Have a 4 year old who would strongly disagree though lol!

The only reason I am able to go that early is because I go right after dropping my daughter to school.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    How about spending some extra time there and helping some of the Resolutioners, as you call them. Then maybe they will stick with it and become regulars and next year they can complain also. We all started somewhere.

Not a paid trainer, sorry.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

Thanks sweetie.
  • Liiinas
    Liiinas Posts: 15
    Options
    Why are people complaining about a busy gyms in january? I'm happy for all the people trying to become healthier and I will meet them with a smile and a helping hand.

I'm very happy for people who want to be healthier in the new year. People like that I don't consider to new year resolutioners, I consider them to be people making a real lifestyle change. There is a huge difference.

And how can you tell them appart? Everyone new in the gym today will be resolutioners trying to make a lifestyle change. Some will suceed and others will struggle and quit. They are still trying so be nice.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    think of all the poor newbies who'll be spending half their time taking the heavy plates left by the lazy regulars off the machines they're trying to use, and queueing for a bench or machine occupied by the hogs that won't share or work in,
    no wonder so many of them leave after a short time

That's annoying to me as well. I don't understand how people don't put the weights back or wipe down equipment when they are finished. That just proper manners.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Why are people complaining about a busy gyms in january? I'm happy for all the people trying to become healthier and I will meet them with a smile and a helping hand.

I'm very happy for people who want to be healthier in the new year. People like that I don't consider to new year resolutioners, I consider them to be people making a real lifestyle change. There is a huge difference.

And how can you tell them appart? Everyone new in the gym today will be resolutioners trying to make a lifestyle change. Some will suceed and others will struggle and quit. They are still trying so be nice.

By the people who are trying & the people who are just sitting on the machines playing on their phones for 15 mins. Nobody becomes an expert overnight. I respect people who put in the effort 100%.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Eh, all the newbies at any time of year are the reason why my gym has had some pretty sweet equipment upgrades. Hope a greater percentage stick with it this year.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    It's ok, the gym is always full to the brim this time of year. By valentines day the majority will have 'thrown the towel in'
    I go to the work gym, Sony just change my lunch time to the afternoon in between normal lunch and home time, it's so much quieter, and there are less shrieking girlies in their packs who, honestly, don't need to be in there, and have taken it up as a new year resolution with their friends and don't intend on keeping it :p

On the plus side, it is usually the best time to find someone new to become a gym buddy!

You at SCEE?

Nope, Adastral park Ipswich

Okeydoke. :smile:
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Eh, all the newbies at any time of year are the reason why my gym has had some pretty sweet equipment upgrades. Hope a greater percentage stick with it this year.

Let's hope so! Some of the equipment at my gym breaks & stays that way for months :sad:
  • Liiinas
    Liiinas Posts: 15
    Options

By the people who are trying & the people who are just sitting on the machines playing on their phones for 15 mins. Nobody becomes an expert overnight. I respect people who put in the effort 100%.

You have the right to be annoyed at anyone occupying machines to play on the phone in the gym, beginner or not. I use my phone between machines to keep track of my progress and next exercise and I wouldn't be surprised if many beginners use the phone to do the same. The gym is complicated if you're new. My point being, just because someone checks their phone doesn't mean they're slacking off. I try to never judge anyone before I havee the full picture and I encourage you to do the same. :)
  • nyla2120
    Options

You have the right to be annoyed at anyone occupying machines to play on the phone in the gym, beginner or not. I use my phone between machines to keep track of my progress and next exercise and I wouldn't be surprised if many beginners use the phone to do the same. The gym is complicated if you're new. My point being, just because someone checks their phone doesn't mean they're slacking off. I try to never judge anyone before I havee the full picture and I encourage you to do the same. :)

I agree with you. I'm sure we all check our phones & take little breaks etc. But, just don't sit & play while others are waiting for machines. That's all I'm saying. Also if anyone ever asks me how to use a machine etc., I will be happy to help. I was honestly just making a lighthearted joke & people are taking it way to seriously & now I'm this big evil monster who hates new people at the gym lol!
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I'm actually going back as a resolution:) so I hope I have some smiling faces:)

(have had a bit of a hiatus r/t work changing my hours and having to find a class that fits my needs)

So! now I have a 10 am class for me:)
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Aww it's a bind innit. Hey don't worry, all the losers will be back at the trough by Feb, proving all the anti-resolutioners right and freeing up time and space for the fit and dedicated righteous.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Resolutioners are not newbs. They are the same people that come back every year
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Ready for the self righteous to ***** and complain about people trying to better themselves? Happens every year....