Ready for the New Year Resolution's gym attack?

Options

Replies

• Liiinas
    Liiinas Posts: 15
    Options
    Aww it's a bind innit. Hey don't worry, all the losers will be back at the trough by Feb, proving all the anti-resolutioners right and freeing up time and space for the fit and dedicated righteous.

Can't tell if sarcatsic or not but I hope! :)
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Resolutioners are not newbs. They are the same people that come back every year

Ah, good point.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    I'm actually going back as a resolution:) so I hope I have some smiling faces:)

(have had a bit of a hiatus r/t work changing my hours and having to find a class that fits my needs)

So! now I have a 10 am class for me:)

That's awesome, I wish my gym provided classes. I would love to take up spinning 1-2 times a week.
  • Liiinas
    Options

It's irrelevant if you have previoisly tried to become healthier or if this is the first time. People are struggling with their weight and with their eating habits and it's unrealistic to believe all persons find success right away. It's a process.
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I found it funny while I was at the gym on New Years Eve yesterday, how quiet it was. I was there finishing my new years resolution for 2013!!!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    I found it funny while I was at the gym on New Years Eve yesterday, how quiet it was. I was there finishing my new years resolution for 2013!!!

Good for you! My gym was crowded yesterday morning.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

It's irrelevant if you have previoisly tried to become healthier or if this is the first time. People are struggling with their weight and with their eating habits and it's unrealistic to believe all persons find success right away. It's a process.
    yeah I am sure after the 10th year of trying they will finally "get it"
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    And this is why I have spent the money to set up a home gym.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Why are people complaining about a busy gyms in january? I'm happy for all the people trying to become healthier and I will meet them with a smile and a helping hand.

I'm very happy for people who want to be healthier in the new year. People like that I don't consider to new year resolutioners, I consider them to be people making a real lifestyle change. There is a huge difference.

And how can you tell them appart? Everyone new in the gym today will be resolutioners trying to make a lifestyle change. Some will suceed and others will struggle and quit. They are still trying so be nice.

By the people who are trying & the people who are just sitting on the machines playing on their phones for 15 mins. Nobody becomes an expert overnight. I respect people who put in the effort 100%.

Maybe they are sitting there playing with their phones because they aren't sure how to use the machine and are too embarrassed to ask someone to show them. Or they are googling info about how to use the machine. If nobody becomes an expert overnight, perhaps viewing them as people very new to exercise instead of slackers might help your outlook. But I'm one of those people who respects everybody's right to be in the gym using the membership they paid for in whatever manner they see fit, not just the regulars. You also might want to consider that all those resolutioners who come in and purchase memberships are what help keep the cost of your membership down.
  • nyla2120
    Options

That's an amazing investment.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Not much difference between that and yearly gym memberships, especially if you search on Craig's list, garage sales, etc.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

It is. When my gym gets too crowded, I can just turn around and go home. The disadvantage of a home gym is space and it makes my workout longer since I have to make adjustments.
  • nyla2120
    Options

Not much difference between that and yearly gym memberships, especially if you search on Craig's list, garage sales, etc.

Good to know! It's something I really want for myself one day. So far I do have a weight bench, a few sets of weights & an elliptical machine. I love my elliptical, I use it first thing in the morning before even heading to the gym so I can get my cardio out of the way & just focus on strength training at the gym. That way I can spend less time there.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Mine was packed yesterday. I usually work Tuesdays but had the day off for the holiday so figured I'd go to the gym during the day while it was "quiet." Apparently everybody else had the same idea.
  • nyla2120
    Options

It is. When my gym gets too crowded, I can just turn around and go home. The disadvantage of a home gym is space and it makes my workout longer since I have to make adjustments.

Exactly, I have to get everything out & set it up. The only thing that is ready to go at all times is my elliptical machine, I've had it for 7 years & it's still going strong. I can honestly say I've gotten my money's worth out of it.
  • Liiinas
    Options

yeah I am sure after the 10th year of trying they will finally "get it"

I'm certain :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There's some quite unpleasant people on this thread. Makes me glad I don't frequent gyms
  • nyla2120
    Options

Mine was packed yesterday. I usually work Tuesdays but had the day off for the holiday so figured I'd go to the gym during the day while it was "quiet." Apparently everybody else had the same idea.

LOL exactly! And I would have loved to go first thing this morning, but my gym has holiday hours from only 10-6 today, so with my work schedule I won't be able to go until I get off. I'm praying it won't be too badly crowded.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Exactly, I have to get everything out & set it up. The only thing that is ready to go at all times is my elliptical machine, I've had it for 7 years & it's still going strong. I can honestly say I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

I took over our garage which luckily is heated so I don't have any excuses in the winter. Gave me plenty of room and made us get rid of some of the junk we'd been collecting over the years.
  • nyla2120
    Options

I took over our garage which luckily is heated so I don't have any excuses in the winter. Gave me plenty of room and made us get rid of some of the junk we'd been collecting over the years.

That's where I would love to set up a little mini gym. But my Husband has one of those cars that "He is going to fix up one day" taking up the whole garage :sad: One day I will finally convince him to get rid of it.