Ready for the New Year Resolution's gym attack?

Options

Replies

• Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I always join our gym come January and February but it isn't because I am a resolutioner...it is because it is too damn cold to exercise outside and I need to go somewhere warm without ice and snow to get my runs and walks done. It keeps me on track. So if I make it more crowded, oh well. I am there to better myself. I have done a mighty fine job overall.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    And this is why I have spent the money to set up a home gym.

That's an amazing investment.
    It is. When my gym gets too crowded, I can just turn around and go home. The disadvantage of a home gym is space and it makes my workout longer since I have to make adjustments.

Exactly, I have to get everything out & set it up. The only thing that is ready to go at all times is my elliptical machine, I've had it for 7 years & it's still going strong. I can honestly say I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

I took over our garage which luckily is heated so I don't have any excuses in the winter. Gave me plenty of room and made us get rid of some of the junk we'd been collecting over the years.

That's where I would love to set up a little mini gym. But my Husband has one of those cars that "He is going to fix up one day" taking up the whole garage :sad: One day I will finally convince him to get rid of it.
    Pro tip: That car will never get fixed and will sit at least a decade:wink:
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Mine's been busy..it's a combination of some newbies added to the people who usually run outside, since its so cold here..my gym has a 30 minute time limit on each machine that's enforced especially when it's busy. Our classes are usually fuller, but many do not stay for the long haul sadly. I do try to encourage the newbies. I more worry about those who overdo it initially. My gym called 911 6 times last January!
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Gee, and here I was dreaming of gaining some strangers respect....

I can't stand that ****. The idea of gauging someone's commitment and deeming them worthy of one's unsolicited respect is balls blowing. Too bad the machines don't have a ego as well as a weight limit.
  • Primeval_Princess
    Options
    And this is why I have spent the money to set up a home gym.

That's an amazing investment.
    It is. When my gym gets too crowded, I can just turn around and go home. The disadvantage of a home gym is space and it makes my workout longer since I have to make adjustments.

Exactly, I have to get everything out & set it up. The only thing that is ready to go at all times is my elliptical machine, I've had it for 7 years & it's still going strong. I can honestly say I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

I took over our garage which luckily is heated so I don't have any excuses in the winter. Gave me plenty of room and made us get rid of some of the junk we'd been collecting over the years.

That's where I would love to set up a little mini gym. But my Husband has one of those cars that "He is going to fix up one day" taking up the whole garage :sad: One day I will finally convince him to get rid of it.
    Pro tip: That car will never get fixed and will sit at least a decade:wink:

truth! :laugh:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i was the first to sign up at my new gym when it opened in Nov. i was numero uno Y solamente for the first month and a half. while this is on the one hand AWESOME for me (because i am in introverted loner with low-grade social anxiety who likes to pretend to be invisible) it also means there's no one around to fill up kickboxing classes. more peeps means more perks. so despite myself, i hope to see more joiners.

bemoaning newbs is like complaining about children: everyone was one, once. why b!tch?
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    i too am a low grade social misfit who likes to be invisible...

but this year i`m going to take a newbie under my wing and make them HURT!!! thus being totally helpful to the person, practicing my social skills and also loving the laughs at otherpeoples DOMS
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Why are people complaining about a busy gyms in january? I'm happy for all the people trying to become healthier and I will meet them with a smile and a helping hand.

I'm very happy for people who want to be healthier in the new year. People like that I don't consider to new year resolutioners, I consider them to be people making a real lifestyle change. There is a huge difference.

And how can you tell them appart? Everyone new in the gym today will be resolutioners trying to make a lifestyle change. Some will suceed and others will struggle and quit. They are still trying so be nice.

By the people who are trying & the people who are just sitting on the machines playing on their phones for 15 mins. Nobody becomes an expert overnight. I respect people who put in the effort 100%.

Those new people are not the only ones on their phones. Sometimes it is those that have been going for a long time. In the apt gym that I went to for a while there was a guy that went every day...usually for 1 1/2 half. Of that 1 1/2 hours he was on the phone...sometimes sitting on the equipment...leaving his things laying on a treadmill...etc...etc. There was one trainer...she spent most of her time talking at the top of her lungs...not about fitness...or working with a client...but about her personal life.

It works both ways...new or not...some people are just inconsiderate of others.
    Options
    Thing is if we have enough time to realise that someone is talking at the top of their voice we prob aren't working hard enough :)
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    Thing is if we have enough time to realise that someone is talking at the top of their voice we prob aren't working hard enough :)

Generally someone like that is speaking for an audience. They want to be heard. You hear them.

I wear headphones.
    Options
    Ah I see, do you change your track, surf the web or have a chat with your gym buddy?

I personally sit there staring at people looking like I've just killed myself on the previous set, at the point it take a few mins to get over the previous set, all I am concerned about is me, myself and I
  • Annie_01
    Options

Really? Exercising hard is supposed to make us deaf?

I guess I wasn't working hard enough then.

Thank for that bit of information.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    This is one thng I don't miss. I can't afford a gym right now even a cheap one, and I often lament the fact... but nope I do not miss that first few weeks of the year.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym (I only go 2 days a week) and do my thing and leave. I don't worry about what other people are doing!! JS
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    Ah I see, do you change your track, surf the web or have a chat with your gym buddy?

I personally sit there staring at people looking like I've just killed myself on the previous set, at the point it take a few mins to get over the previous set, all I am concerned about is me, myself and I

If you have the energy to stare at people you aren't working hard enough. See how that works?
  • Annie_01
    Options

Generally someone like that is speaking for an audience. They want to be heard. You hear them.

I wear headphones.

I had mine on...even with the volume turned up the person drowned out what I was listening to.