CNN article: 10 Reasons To Give Up Diet Soda

Options
When taken at face value, diet soda seems like a health-conscious choice. It saves you the 140-plus calories you'd find in a sugary soft drink while still satisfying your urge for something sweet with artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose. But there's more to this chemical cocktail than meets the eye.

It confuses your body

It could lead to weight gain, not weight loss

It's associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes

It has no nutritional value

Its sweetener is linked to headaches ( aspartame )

It'll ruin your smile over time

It makes drinking more dangerous (Using diet soda as a low-calorie cocktail mixer has the dangerous effect of getting you drunk faster )

It's associated with depression

It may be bad for your bones - (Women over 60 are already at a greater risk for osteoporosis than men, and Tufts University researchers found that drinking soda, including diet soda, compounds the problem. )

It may hurt your heart - (Just one diet soft drink a day could boost your risk of having a vascular event such as stroke, heart attack, or vascular death, according to researchers from the University of Miami and Columbia University)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/01/health/gallery/10-reasons-diet-soda/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I won't be drinking it in excess, but I won't be giving it up, either.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I will keep drinking my diet soda. :drinker:
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I gave up all soda a few months ago. Its useless junk that our bodies just don't need. Like alcohol, I won't absolutely refuse but I will only have it on a special occasion and only a little.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I won't be drinking it in excess, but I won't be giving it up, either.
    ^^This...

This and there was just an article the other day that says you would have to drink about 20 a day for the adverse effects to start.

Plus just because it effects some people with headaches and other problems that means I shouldn't be allowed to drink it even though it has no effect on me?

(not directed at the OP) If people have a problem drinking diet soda then they should stop. Leave the rest of us alone who enjoy it with no problems.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    It confuses your body
    This is a strange anthropomorphisation of the human body.
    It could lead to weight gain, not weight loss
    It has zero caloric value, it will not lead to weight gain any more than eating sawdust would.
    It's associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes

From the American Diabetes Association:
    Most diet drinks (like diet soda or diet tea) have zero grams of carbohydrate per serving, so they will not raise blood glucose on their own. These diet drinks are sweetened with artificial sweeteners instead of added sugars. Removing the added sugars and replacing them with artificial sweeteners removes most of the calories and carbohydrates.

One good thing about low-calorie drinks and drink mixes is that they are available in several flavors. They may be a good alternative to regular lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, etc. These drink mixes are also usually sweetened with low-calorie sweeteners. They are very low in calories (about 5-10 per 8-ounce portion) and have less than 5 grams of carbohydrate per serving.

It has no nutritional value
    Neither does water.
    So are children.
    It'll ruin your smile over time
    What? Just . . . what? What??
    It makes drinking more dangerous (Using diet soda as a low-calorie cocktail mixer has the dangerous effect of getting you drunk faster )
    It makes drinking less dangerous (Drinking alcohol with no mixer has the dangerous effect of getting you drunk faster)
    It's associated with depression
    So is Christmas.
    It may be bad for your bones - (Women over 60 are already at a greater risk for osteoporosis than men, and Tufts University researchers found that drinking soda, including diet soda, compounds the problem. )
    Amazing to go from "may" to "have found that X compounds the problem". LOLscience.
    It may hurt your heart - (Just one diet soft drink a day could boost your risk of having a vascular event such as stroke, heart attack, or vascular death, according to researchers from the University of Miami and Columbia University)
    Again, lolscience.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    So are children.

And shopping at Walmart.... LOL
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Also, please know OP/Jinxy, that I'm not having a go at you. I understand that you're relaying the contents of an article that you found, no more no less.

I just take issue with the article :-)
  • Jinxy10236
    Options
    Just an informational post, you can do with it what you'd like.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    *disregards post*
  • Catlover165
    Catlover165 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been told this same thing before & agree anything with excess amounts(diet soda or sweets, carbs red meat) is not good for you! but 2-3 D. sodas a week saves me when I crave something sweet! sometimes I don't drink it for weeks!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    lolNO
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the article, but I have cut out a lot from my diet for health reasons. I reduced my use of diet drinks, but I'm not giving them up completely.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm still drinking my diet pop. Yes, I said pop. That's how I roll.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    How does diet soda make you gain weight in the context if MFP, a calorie counting website? Even if it makes me, supposedly, crave sweets can't I just...you know. Look at where I am for the day intake wise and go 'hmm, never mind that snickers, better have an apple?'
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    What else do you suggest I mix my rum with? Water??
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options

It confuses your body

It gets better.
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Never giving it up! And I've never agreed with the "it can lead to weight gain" part. For me, it's the opposite. If I'm craving something sweet, I can have a can and be satisfied (sometimes). It's not a gateway thing for me. And Diet Coke makes me happy, not depressed!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, lets give a BLOG a cute little important sounding name and every one believe it. RME

Funny thing is, most people refuse to believe all that crap is bad for you until something bad happens to them.

I have an auto immune disease, if I drink a diet soda my pain levels go from a 3 to an 8. No one can convince me that that crap is not bad for you when it gives me pain.

But of course if all you people are worried about is the way you look, carry on.