Anyone go to Planet Fitness

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member

"Gyms are just buildings, Weights are just something you hold, YOU are what gets YOU into shape"
    So true!

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    They must be doing SOMETHING right, considering there's already a rip-off corporate chain called "YouFit",
    that is basically a carbon copy of planet fitness, just replace all the yellow with lime green.

From a strictly financial point of view... yes, their business model is brilliant. They may be lying to their customers, but they do a good job of making money,
    "Gyms are just buildings, Weights are just something you hold, YOU are what gets YOU into shape"

Ultimately, yes. That's why I say that you can still make progress there if you're a beginner or otherwise out of shape. Obviously, you can make better progress elsewhere, but a determined individual can see past their crap and get results... even if this means doing some of your workouts elsewhere.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    It definitely depends on which franchise you go to. I started off at planet fitness (I no longer go there). It was great, lots of equipment and very clean. Weight area towards the back-machines everywhere. They have now expanded and have a huge weight section, trx equipment and two different circuit training areas.

Eventually a lot of people outgrow PF-but it's a great deal for newbies. I don't care if they make fun of me for being a meathead-if it makes people feel comfortable there-I'm cool with it
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if it is one of the ones that frowns on deadlifts other compound movements, and/or lifting heavy I would avoid it like the plague...
    :o

bu9fpvstbt6c.jpg

hey! I drink water out of a gallon jug :angry: I also grunt when I deadlift!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited August 2015
    Maryaly40 wrote: »
    If you're going for help with weight loss, or maybe for some cardio health then it's great!!

But, if you're aiming to look like an Olympic god/goddess, then according to popular belief, you'll have to go somewhere else :frown:

This is one of the stupidest things I've read on here in a long time...and that's saying a lot.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    if it is one of the ones that frowns on deadlifts other compound movements, and/or lifting heavy I would avoid it like the plague...

bu9fpvstbt6c.jpg

You and me both!
    I am a proud lunk...with high goals, superior results and a strong work ethic...and unwelcome at Planet Fitness... B)

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

bu9fpvstbt6c.jpg

You and me both!
    I am a proud lunk...with high goals, superior results and a strong work ethic...and unwelcome at Planet Fitness... B)

Judgy sign is judgy.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    I don't like food smells when I am working out. gross.

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited August 2015
    Lots of people clutching their pearls over the free bagels and pizza thing. No, I don't think it's a good idea either but in all honesty, the very last thing on my mind when I'm at the gym is eating so I wouldn't find myself tempted in the slightest.

I'm amused that a lot of people dismiss PF as a place for beginners. For many of us on the older side, we're past the point of trying to sculpt beach-ready bods or compete in an Ironman or swim the English Channel or something. I just want to be healthy. I would imagine that this is also true of many younger adults as well. Not everyone sees fitness as a goal in and of itself. It's a means we use to stay alive and healthy. So far from being a place for "beginners", PF seems more like a place that is sufficient for most people's fitness needs.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    One of the owners of a PF explained to me once that the pizza/bagel days is to show that you don't have to give up bad food but you can have it in moderation and still have results.

Pure revisionism. Pure rationalization. Most Americans have a hard enough time consuming in moderation. They don't need any encouragement to cheat when it comes to eating.

Besides, none of this comes from the official PF marketing. That is, their marketing says nothing about trying to promote moderation. Quite the contrary; it's just "Free pizza! Free bagels!"

If they really were all about moderation, they'd offer healthy alternatives as well. Instead, every single food freebie they offer is fattening -- pizza, bagels, candy, and in some locations, donuts and cupcakes, It should be obvious that this is no accident.

sounds like most Americans need to put on their big boy pants and have some self restraint. Just because they offer it doesn't mean they have to eat it.
    I totally agree that they don't have to eat it. That doesn't mean that offering these fattening foods is a good idea, though.

What if a dentist were to provide free sugar cubes to his clients? We'd all agree that this would be a bad idea. And if he were to say, "So what if I'm encouraging you to snack on sugar? You don't have to accept!", most people would think he's being a jerk. When it comes to PF though, a surprising number of people think that such tactics are acceptable... and PF preys on that mentality.

It wouldn't be a problem at all if said dentist only put the sugar cubes out for an hour on the first Tuesday of the month and an hour on the second Wednesday of the month. Two hours out of an entire month? If someone doesn't have the willpower to pass up those freebies, if they don't have the calories to spare, then they need to work on that willpower. What's next? Chastising PF for opening up next to a Chinese restaurant? Or getting bent out of shape because you have to drive RIGHT PAST McDonalds when you pull into the shopping center where it's located (and YES, I have to driver RIGHT PAST a McDonalds when I go to the gym). Good thing I have the self control to bypass pulling into the drive thru! We are all responsible for our own actions. Based on what you have posted, people who are overweight are that way because of no fault of their own. They were forced into overeating by the temptation that places like PF put out there by offering pizza one night a month and bagels one morning a month.

LOL. I get it. You don't like PF. You seem to have made it your job to let everyone know how horrible it is. Mine's pretty nice. I love the giant ceiling fans, they make my runs so much cooler now. It's also pretty packed in there, so I am guessing lots of other people think it's pretty nice, too.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I'm not sure why all the hate for a gym that caters to people who are intimidated by body builders.
    I do my cardio there. I mostly lift at home but sometimes do the machines there as well.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with pizza and bagels. Not everyone is on a diet....
  • spartan_d
    It wouldn't be a problem at all if said dentist only put the sugar cubes out for an hour on the first Tuesday of the month and an hour on the second Wednesday of the month. Two hours out of an entire month? If someone doesn't have the willpower to pass up those freebies, if they don't have the calories to spare, then they need to work on that willpower.

That is completely idiotic.

Should people have the willpower to resist? Sure! That doesn't mean that it's a good idea for the dentist to offer such temptations, though. Any dentist who does that is working against the best interests of his clientele.

And any dentist who says, "It's your fault if you give in to this temptation!" deserves to have his license revoked,
  • spartan_d
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I'm amused that a lot of people dismiss PF as a place for beginners. For many of us on the older side, we're past the point of trying to sculpt beach-ready bods or compete in an Ironman or swim the English Channel or something. I just want to be healthy.
    With all due respect, you are missing our point. As I said earlier, it's okay to have goals that are not lofty. It is NOT okay to enact policies that discourage people from seeking such lofty goals.

This is why Planet Fitness receives such criticism, whereas Curves does not. Both are low-effort gyms. The difference is that Curves simply presents itself as such without resorting to unethical tactics.
  • smtaylo85
    smtaylo85 Posts: 1,269 Member
    i go to the local one here. great gym can't beat $20 a month.
  • spartan_d
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I'm not sure why all the hate for a gym that caters to people who are intimidated by body builders.
    It's because this gym FOSTERS the intimidation of which you speak. It tells the public that bodybuilders and other fit people are "lunks" -- horrible people that deserve to be publicly shamed and driven away.

Some people don't see any problem with that. People with a heart, however, do.
  • annaskiski
    This is why Planet Fitness receives such criticism, whereas Curves does not. Both are low-effort gyms. The difference is that Curves simply presents itself as such without resorting to unethical tactics.

What unethical tactics?
  • annaskiski
    It's because this gym FOSTERS the intimidation of which you speak. It tells the public that bodybuilders and other fit people are "lunks" -- horrible people that deserve to be publicly shamed and driven away.

Some people don't see any problem with that. People with a heart, however, do.

I'm sorry it breaks your heart.
    Jeez, don't go there.

I know my PF seems to have a lot of very heavy customers who have finally martialed up the courage to go to the gym. Good for them!
    I read all the time on these forums about people who are afraid to go to the gym because they think that they will be judged by people there. They are PF's target customers. (that and people who don't want to pay more than $10)
  • spartan_d

What unethical tactics?

Little things like telling people that bodybuilders and Zumba instructors are horrible people. (Have you seen their commercials?) Or that bench pressing and deadlifting -- two of the most useful exercises around -- are only suitable for bodybuilders. (I heard that directly from a PF "trainer" during one of my visits.) Or prescribing horribly ineffective fitness plans like the ones posted earlier -- plans that will scarcely accomplish anything, and that include such useless "exercises" as lying in a tanning bed or massage chair.

And so forth, and so on. The unethical nature of these tactics should be palpably obvious.
  • spartan_d
    This has been posted before, but since someone asked what makes PF so unethical, it's worth reposting. Their own representative says that their business model is based on the notion that bodybuilders are "jerks" and "animals" who deserve to be locked in a cage. Can anyone honestly say that they agree with this notion? Or that such statements are ethically sound?

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592