Anyone go to Planet Fitness

Replies

• ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Despite the "lunk alarm" and "gymtimidation" stuff, I think that's just marketing more than actual practice based on what I've seen. I think most people like PF because it's $10/month, no frills, and gives you the basics for cardio, weights, etc. I've been to 2 PF locations and I've never seen/heard a "lunk alarm" and there's a pretty reasonable mix of people of various ages and fitness levels. Everyone leaves each other alone. I joined PF as a weekend gym closer to where I live and it's perfect when I want to run on the treadmill or do some basic strength. For the price and the number of machines for those purposes, nowhere else can beat that.

I think most of the people hating on PF aren't actually bothered by their policies, they just get off to bragging about how the're way too fit and brawny to possibly associate with the bottom-feeders that work out at PF.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Jeez man, The whales need saving. Children around the world are starving.

Don't go to the gym. Save your vitriol for something worthwhile.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    I can't believe you're considered a lunk for carrying a gallon of water.
  • Jozzmenia
    pittsjg wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not a fan, they definitely don't seem to like cleans and deadlifts, I learned that the hard way. To each their own I guess, but to me it seems a little counter productive to "outlaw" functional exercises if done correctly or safely, but if people are that intimidated by guys like me training hard, I guess its good for them to have a place to go and do something.

I wouldn't go, but again, I don't think I'm their indented target customer (in fact I was told that exact same thing by a manager). Funny thing is, you can learn allot from the guys who are training hard because many of us are very passionate and don't mind explaining things to someone who is willing to put in the work and wants to get results. I've learned allot from different successful men and woman over the years, by just training around them, and learning (also shutting up long enough to hear what they have to say).

Something is always better then nothing though, to each there own

Alot of people have terrible form though, especially with the heavier weights.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I'm not sure why all the hate for a gym that caters to people who are intimidated by body builders.
    It's because this gym FOSTERS the intimidation of which you speak. It tells the public that bodybuilders and other fit people are "lunks" -- horrible people that deserve to be publicly shamed and driven away.

Some people don't see any problem with that. People with a heart, however, do.

I'm sorry it breaks your heart.
    Jeez, don't go there.

I know my PF seems to have a lot of very heavy customers who have finally martialed up the courage to go to the gym. Good for them!
    I read all the time on these forums about people who are afraid to go to the gym because they think that they will be judged by people there. They are PF's target customers. (that and people who don't want to pay more than $10)

You're praising PF for providing an atmosphere free of judgement for overweight people or newbies to fitness. At the same time, you're dismissing concerns of those that feel completely judged and intimidated by PF's practices. I was new to weight lifting and thought a judgement free zone would be a great place to start. Turns out, they were more interested in publicly humiliating me.
  • annaskiski
    This is why Planet Fitness receives such criticism, whereas Curves does not. Both are low-effort gyms. The difference is that Curves simply presents itself as such without resorting to unethical tactics.

What unethical tactics?

Little things like telling people that bodybuilders and Zumba instructors are horrible people. (Have you seen their commercials?) Or that bench pressing and deadlifting -- two of the most useful exercises around -- are only suitable for bodybuilders. (I heard that directly from a PF "trainer" during one of my visits.) Or prescribing horribly ineffective fitness plans like the ones posted earlier -- plans that will scarcely accomplish anything, and that include such useless "exercises" as lying in a tanning bed or massage chair.

And so forth, and so on. The unethical nature of these tactics should be palpably obvious.

I think this is what's known as a 'first world problem"
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    This is why Planet Fitness receives such criticism, whereas Curves does not. Both are low-effort gyms. The difference is that Curves simply presents itself as such without resorting to unethical tactics.

What unethical tactics?

Little things like telling people that bodybuilders and Zumba instructors are horrible people. (Have you seen their commercials?) Or that bench pressing and deadlifting -- two of the most useful exercises around -- are only suitable for bodybuilders. (I heard that directly from a PF "trainer" during one of my visits.) Or prescribing horribly ineffective fitness plans like the ones posted earlier -- plans that will scarcely accomplish anything, and that include such useless "exercises" as lying in a tanning bed or massage chair.

And so forth, and so on. The unethical nature of these tactics should be palpably obvious.

I think this is what's known as a 'first world problem"

So is being intimidated at the gym because of being overweight, yet you think that is a perfectly legitimate concern for people to have.
  • annaskiski
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    So is being intimidated at the gym because of being overweight, yet you think that is a perfectly legitimate concern for people to have.

Holy smokes people! Seriously!
    Get over yourselves....
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Planet Fitness is great for alot of people and probably will be great for alot more. They do have limited amenities, but then the cost is so affordable that it allows many people to join a gym when otherwise they couldn't. As many have already said, so much always depends on the people inside each franchise, so check it out for yourself and see how you find it. There's no contract required, so if you decide to move elsewhere after a few months, you can easily do that.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member

I noticed that your response didn't actually answer anyone's objections.

Besides, If you really believed that, you wouldn't be here criticizing the Planet Fitness critics. You'd be out saving whales and feeding starving children.
  • annaskiski

I noticed that your response didn't actually answer anyone's objections.

Besides, If you really believed that, you wouldn't be here criticizing the Planet Fitness critics. You'd be out saving whales and feeding starving children.

I try.....I really do......
  • spartan_d
    Hey, you're the one who said we shouldn't waste time with these discussions as long as there are endangered whales and starving children in the world. I'm just trying to hold you to that same standard. Let's see if that works.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    ald783 wrote: »
    Despite the "lunk alarm" and "gymtimidation" stuff, I think that's just marketing more than actual practice based on what I've seen. I think most people like PF because it's $10/month, no frills, and gives you the basics for cardio, weights, etc. I've been to 2 PF locations and I've never seen/heard a "lunk alarm" and there's a pretty reasonable mix of people of various ages and fitness levels. Everyone leaves each other alone. I joined PF as a weekend gym closer to where I live and it's perfect when I want to run on the treadmill or do some basic strength. For the price and the number of machines for those purposes, nowhere else can beat that.

I think most of the people hating on PF aren't actually bothered by their policies, they just get off to bragging about how the're way too fit and brawny to possibly associate with the bottom-feeders that work out at PF.

That reads like a "copy/paste" tagline from their website.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I used to be a member at a PF years ago before they had pizza nights and before I moved to a rural area with just community (city) owned gyms. Personally, I found the PF environment the least intimidating.

As far as pizza, it is like everything else at a gym... use it or don't. I have to be honest, though: I have seen a lot of MFP users argue that PF is not a serious gym because they have pizza nights. Some of those same MFP users will also support "bulking dirty" (eating junk food like pop tarts in order to get additional calories during a bulk cycle).

If it works for you, great! If not, then don't join PF. You just have to do what works for you and not worry about what others think.
  • spartan_d
    As far as pizza, it is like everything else at a gym... use it or don't. I have to be honest, though: I have seen a lot of MFP users argue that PF is not a serious gym because they have pizza nights. Some of those same MFP users will also support "bulking dirty" (eating junk food like pop tarts in order to get additional calories during a bulk cycle).

There's a difference between strategically bulking up, as part of a disciplined and demanding regimen, and providing fattening temptations for passers-by, Very few people need to "bulk up," and they generally do so as part of a strict, self-imposed plan. The vast majority of Americans need to reduce their caloric intake rather than increase it.

Besides, PF itself says that they don't cater to bodybuilders, so that rules out the "bulking up" excuse.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    I've been a PF member for a few years. It is just down the street from my house and is cheap and clean. I started going a few times per week, mostly to do treadmill and the abs/legs machines. I use it now as an add-on to my other exercise, like if I just feel like I need a good go at the treadmill on incline or the weather is bad or something. I like it for that. I can see how the more experienced heavy-lifters wouldn't like it, though.

I skimmed a couple replies about dropping weights - I don't use the free weights at PF so I didn't know about that. At the gym where I am learning weights, their floor is squishy so that you can drop them haha
  • Jozzmenia
    I have a PF membership (that I hardly use but so what is 10 bucks lol) and there is plenty to do, though I love my regular gym with it's fancy hot tub and steam room and pool lol. Still, I've always felt like the pizza thing perpetuates the idea that they don't take fitness seriously there at all. It's like they want to market to people who don't really want to get in shape but want to say they have a gym membership.
  • spartan_d
    Jozzmenia, that's a large part what's said in the NPR podcast that I posted earlier. So yeah, it's not just your perception.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    I feel like most gyms bank on a large percentage of members not actually using their memberships regularly so they can bring in more money with the same amount of equipment and space. In some ways I feel like my other gym has more people that are somewhat apathetic about fitness and just want a membership, because it has nicer but unnecessary amenities like a pool, juice bar, nicer locker room, more TVs, etc. and that stuff catches people's eye during a tour. Other than tanning, if you go to PF you're just going to work out and leave, there's not much else to do there. I personally haven't seen pizza there, but I usually don't go more than once a week.

It's funny, I don't even really love PF that much, I just find it convenient and cheap when I don't feel like paying a toll to get to my other gym, but then seeing people so fired up against it makes it hard not to respond. It seems like such an odd thing to get so worked up over.
  • spartan_d
    [quote="ald783;33613162"...but then seeing people so fired up against it makes it hard not to respond.[/quote]

I appreciate your honesty in admitting this. Have you noticed that people also get fired up in defending PF and lambasting the physically fit? Perhaps that would explain why the PF critics also find it hard to avoid responding.