How many times are you gonna do DAY 1 over again?

Options
124»

Replies

• Pandora_King
    Options
    Well that was extremely rude and uncalled for. To people starting Day 1 again, I say start again as many times as it takes. It doesn't matter that you fall down or even how far you fall, what matters is that you get back up and try again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Well that was extremely rude and uncalled for. To people starting Day 1 again, I say start again as many times as it takes. It doesn't matter that you fall down or even how far you fall, what matters is that you get back up and try again.

I think the point is big picture thinking....people have a bad day or bad week and then they just quit or revert to old habits rather than seeing the big picture. When you see the big picture you realize that you're not going to be 100% all of the time...you're going to have good days and bad days...you're going to have good weeks and bad weeks...you're going to have occasions like holidays, birthdays, rando neighborhood BBQs, etc where you are going to indulge...you are going to miss workouts due to unforeseen and sometimes foreseen events.

When you live in the minutia of day to day then these things can derail you and the mindset becomes one of having to start over or whatever...when really, in the grand scheme of your life and thus "lifestyle", missing a workout here and there or eating a bit too much Christmas pudding isn't really a big deal. Conceptualizing what it truly means to change your lifestyle requires big picture thinking not day to day minutia...you will drown in that minutia.
  • ramonad56
    Options
    Sue, I'm 57 and I've had a lot of day one's and I'm going to start day one again. I lost 70 pounds a few years back and gained it all plus several more. I think maybe we could help each other. I'd like to be your friend. Ramona
  • GimmieDatSalad
    Options
    I used to do that with things like Slimming World (a diet where they encourage you to eat unlimited amounts of pasta is always going to fail me!)

But honestly I can't get upset about it. But with MFP I've managed to stick to something for weeks at a time, I even stuck to it on Jan 1st after a night of drinking when I felt sick! It's given me the best self esteem and he healthiest relationship with food I've ever had.

Those "failures" were some of the best lessons ever and I'm glad that I "failed", because I get better at sticking to tracking for a long time every time.

Better to start Day One ten times than to not bother again, who cares how many times someone tries? So long as they win just once.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

And already deactivated.

Tho he may have ruffled a few feathers, I think this is what niner is talking about. Jumping in all gung-ho for a few days, usually without a solid plan, then quitting when it gets tough or you get bored.

We all have had bad days, or weeks, or even months. But as long as you keep the goal in mind, and keep getting back up when you fall, then you will eventually reach it.

I thought for sure that I would be at goal weight by now, but I'm not there yet.
    Am I a failure? No. Have I been perfect? No. Have I had some 'restarts' over the course of the past 16 months? Yes, and no. I have gone several weeks without logging my foods, but still logged in every day and stepped on the scale every day.
    This past holiday season, I regained 10 lbs in 7 weeks. There were some life events in addition to the holidays that took my focus off my health quite a bit, but NY was a fresh start and I have lost 5 of those extra lbs, and am back on track again.

I think Niner was targeting the new people that make the same half-a$$ed commitment every New Years, that doesn't last a week, then they blow it off until next New Years.

Make THIS year the LAST year you do that. Make a plan. Commit to it. And when you fall, pull yourself back up and keep going.