TOPIC: 200+ (Week 45) Getting Fit For Fall!

Options

Replies

• stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Amy--that sucks about the money. I had that happen to me once for a couple hundred and it was bad then. Can't imagine how you're coping. I think there should be some rule that says a) they have to notify you prior to stiffing you and b) they can't take back more than a couple hundred at a time.

Kendall--If you're looking to rent to students and have the furniture, consider renting a furnished room. Many students won't have accumulated any furniture, so furnished rentals are very attractive.
  • anvy0530
    anvy0530 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday all! This morning was a VAST improvement over yesterday. Gabe woke up mostly happy and the bus showed up to pick him up on time today. The bus monitor guy also apologized for not coming yesterday morning (I KNEW they skipped us yesterday) - he said no one has needed picked up on our street for 7 months so they haven't had to stop here for a while & didn't really check the schedule before their run yesterday. So Gabe got off to school and me & Sofie went on a 2 mile walk all alone in the solitude of the morning. It was great! I love when things actually work out. Now it's on to Insanity and move along with my day.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Oh I'm soooo terible - confession time... I was doing laundry this morning and saw the cute skirt my friend had been wearing. I thought she looked great in it. I had to peek at the size 12 which surprised me. Yeah - I had to then try it on. It fit!!! It looked better on my friend. Thank goodness everyone is still in bed!! I wouldve hated being caught trying on her clothes (*blushes*)!!!

I need to get our the door for my run but am being lazy. 4 miles scheduled but I'll be lucky to get 2 in. I've been cleaning up for an hour. Too much beer, wine, food and campfire fun last night. I'm enjoying this company. The liquor may be the real reason I'm not out the door yet. (*sighs*) this will not be a weight loss wek for me. I think my friends are coming back tonight. We made tenative plans for canoeing/kayaking with mom at her place - but coulda been the wine talking. My friends want to explore the upper peninsula before returning to Chicago.

Amy - glad things went better today!!!

Kendal - I'm sending all good thoughts your way that a great roommate shows up!!!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Victoria..thanks for the chuckle this morning, I can see you for some reason...doing little twirls and spins....all happy sporting the little size 12 skirt....oh wait a minute...maybe that was me thinking what I would do when I get to a size 12! lol

Thanks for the smile

Amy .. glad your day started off better..that always helps! I need to get my insanity out of the way too....and I am also taking my Bella out for a walk today too...we're exercise twins today!! lol
  • anvy0530
    Options
    Victoria: I love your confession!! I can honestly admit to checking size labels on friend's clothing (I had a house guest last year who stayed for a month so I had the opportunity to do her laundry). I never tried anything on but I'm sure I would have had the mood suited me or if the clothes were cute. I had a friend when I was in the Air Force who was - for lack of a better term - a drunk. He was also a ridiculously fast runner. He used to swear that nothing burned off a hangover like running. I have never actually tested that theory out but I'm sure you'll feel better after you get your run in. Have a great day!
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Victoria- way to go with the size 12. Loved the confession. I'm still quite a ways away from there...

Feeling like crap today. I think I'm getting sick. Shall I vent for a second? Did walk to and from work (x2) yesterday and did some weights, went to pub trivia, had a good time. Got home and had a bit of a headache, knew I had a run this morning planned, so I decided to take a tylenol PM. Now, I've never had a problem with them before, and this might be a complete coincidence, but I was restless the entire night. Like, I couldn't keep still... felt like I had ants in my pants. haha. So, I slept very very little. last time I looked at the clock it was after 3am, and when my alarm went off at 5:15, I knew there was no way I would make it. Am feeling achy today, my throat has a tickle, etc. Slept in a little, got to work about 30 min later than I normall do, which isn't a huge deal, but I might take a half day (after my 1pm appt) in order to sleep it off a bit. Stepped on the scale this morning... shouldn't have. Didn't get the run in on Sunday, yesterday wasn't a heavy cardio day, I'm still finishing up TOM (that weight will still be on), and I ate late and not great at trivia last night. The scale this morning? 188.0 I was thisclose to crying. *bangs head against desk* I really need some serious movement in the opposite direction, because I'm getting really discouraged that I'm not going to get any smaller, no matter what I do. *whines* whoa as me *whines*

/vent
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I reported weekly loses when I challenged myself to log my food Monday through Friday for 4 weeks so thats what I'm doing again. Its not so much a "stay in the green" type goal, but when I log, I typically do everything I can to stay green, ya know? I hate seeing those red numbers.

I've had one person respond already to the ad on craigslist. I will call her during lunch today and set up a meeting. I think I will first ask to meet in a public place and if we click, then she can come by the house and see what its like. I guess I need to figure out a rental agreement/contract. Think I should charge a refundable deposit? I think I should since I don't know the girl. She's only 20 years old, which is younger than I'd hoped but a roommate is a roommate. Think I should hold out till I get someone older? I mean, what if she wants to have a 21st birthday party in the house and people spill crap and ruin stuff? I mean, she's entitled to a 21st birthday party, I just don't want it at my house.

What do yall think?
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Kendal - I bet if you look on-line, you'll find some renter example forms. Of course she should sign something. I get leary with underage drinking concerns. I agree no party at your house - how would you ensure everyone over 21 and you pay the price if caught. Get and CHECK references!!! Past people she rented from, her parents if still at home, etc. Maybe come up with basic rules if max number of guests, what about over night guests, what to do if your having out of town company, food - do you share some... Cook for each other... House cleaning rules. You have a lot to think about. I like meeting (interviewing) her at a public place. Good luck.

I got my run in and did feel much better. Who knew running was the hangover cure???

Amy - glad your days better.

Deb - I did do a few twirls since it was a flouncy skirt!!! (*blushes*)

Kristina - hope you feel better soon. At least it's supposed to cool off tomorrow!!! This and humidity sucks.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Kendal - check references and check her background. YOu can do it online. It costs money but its worth it. Good luck!! I will cross my fingers she works out!
  • anvy0530
    Options
    Victoria: I'm glad the running helped with the hangover!

Kendal: I definitely agree that you need some kind of contract with whoever you get to be your roommate. I'd look online for examples and you definitely want to do a background check on the person. You don't want a crazy or someone who doesn't pay their bills living in your house.

Kristina: Bummer that you're feeling sick. I have battled with insomnia the last couple of years and I take melatonin nightly. It seems that if I take it and then stay up longer than an hour past the time I took it, then I get restless and don't really get any sleep. Kinda lame for a sleep aid, if you ask me. Feel better!

Due to my hubby's short-notice temporary duty this month, I discovered that I inherited his assistant coach position for Gabe's soccer team. I don't know much about soccer, I don't see this going well. Anyways, have a great night ladies!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Okay ladies - my women 40+ group is doing a Sept challenge and I thought you Super Pals might be interested... 1800 min of exercise for the month of Sept (ave 60 min/day). Stretching, walking, cardio, dancing, whatever it counts. This maybe the kick some of us need to do more and get the scales moving again. I'm in - any other takers???
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Good luck Amy!!! You just have to stay 1 step ahead of the kids. My aunt and uncle had to learn to coach my cousin's team many years ago. They are now soccer pros. You CAN do it!!! Get a good library book and start studying.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Doing okay this week, but struggling to maintain my walking pace. I'm blaming the heat. After a week or so of weather with highs in the low to mid 80s range, we are back in the mid 90s this week. Not too bad for my morning walk, but absolutely killing me on the return walk at 4:30 in the afternoon. Have a good problem to report though. My current gym shorts are too loose. I have to keep hiking them up every block or so. Time to downsize :happy:

Kendal--don't write potential renters off based soley on age. some 20 year olds can be mature and respectful. then again I know some 30 yr olds I wouldn't room with no matter how much they paid me. Some kind of written agreement is definitely in order.

Kristina--hope you feel better soon. As far as your insomnia is concerned, could it be related to your workout schedule? I get restless insomnia sometimes when I work out too close to going to bed.

Victoria--Count me in for the challenge.

Amy--Good luck with learning the soccer rules.
  • anvy0530
    Options
    Sarah: Maybe it's your loose shoes that are affecting your walking pace. I cannot function if my shoes aren't well-fitted & comfy.

Victoria: I am ALL IN for the Sept challenge. I know this will get the scale moving for me!

Well, it's morning here and I'm getting ready to head off for my walk with Sofie to be followed (not immediately) by my B210K run. I am soooo sore from pushups and situps day before yesterday so we'll see how it goes. The scale seems to be moving in my favor though. I'm on track to lose another pound this week! Have a great day.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Another short night of sleeping for me - due to company and heat/humidity!!! I'm really gonna miss these girls. Maybe I should have had kids. They went out and did a zip yesterday. The 7 year old was soooo excited to tell me how brave she was. The bike ride is in a few min - hopefully no bear today.

Sarah - great job on needing smaller pants!! Heat can slow you down. Dehydration could be factor as well. Are you carrying/drinking enough water for the added heat?

Amy - great run today!!!
  • anvy0530
    Options
    Victoria: I hate sleeping in heat/humidity. Once upon a time, I lived in San Antonio and, I swear, I did not sleep for the entire 2 summers I lived there. Hopefully, fall will hit your area now that it's September. Luckily, here in Germany, fall set in a few weeks ago. The highest the temp has gotten here is in the mid 60's and it is in the 40's when I send Gabe off to school in the mornings. I fear winter will be here before we know it!

Sarah: I am totally retarded at 6AM, I read your gym shorts as gym shoes! :laugh: Pardon my inability to read and good job on needing new gym SHORTS!!! Maybe once fall settles in, you will be able to pick up the walking pace.

Well, I got a mile & a half walk in with the dog this AM (it was COLD out there - our breath was visible) and it was really nice to watch the sun come up over the forest. After a wee rest, I headed back outside (sans dog this time) and did my B210K workout. This time I did 4 miles (I only did 3.6 miles on Monday in the same amount of time - I think my dog really was slowing me down)!!! So that's a total of 5.5 miles traveled today if you add the walking to the running. Yay! Of course, I think the distance is kinda bugging my feet. I have a great pair of running shoes that I love but today, around the last mile of my run, I started to get a blister on the bottom of my foot. What do you long distance runners do to protect your feet from this kind of thing? I have running socks and shoes, what else can I do? I don't want a blister to put me out of commission.

My landlord showed up to survey the work the Hungarians are (or AREN'T) doing on the patio outside and he stayed for an hour checking various things. He's a really nice guy and everything but he showed up just as I was going to make my lunch. And after my calorie burnfest from this morning, I was really looking forward to lunch. So I got a massive headach (it's my body's typical response to low blood sugar...well, that and turning into an evil biznatch) and, even after I ate and took Excedrin, it will NOT go away. :explode: So I think I'm gonna try & take a nap while the dough for my honey-wheat rolls (to be paired with a chicken salad for dinner) rises so ins I can be less grumpy when the kidlin comes home. Have a great rest of the day ya'll!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Nice run Amy!!! You may need shoes 1/2 size bigger. My socks are double layer wicking socks by Wright.

60 min of biking today / 60 min ex for the month

Happy Hump Day!!! Get your ex in.
  • akasullengal
    Options
    Victoria- I'd love to do the Sept challenge, but I think it's just unrealistic for me, and will set myself up for failure. I like having at least one rest day a week and some days I do more high intensity stuff that doesn't last an hour, and I'd feel bad about it afterwards. Anywho, today's going to be another hot one here, but I think it's supposed to break then. The high here on Saturday is just in the mid 60s. Love it! Nice bike ride today. Impressive as always!

Amy- nice job getting the running and walking in. I've surprisingly not had any problems *knock on wood* with my feet overall. I remember one day I did 2 4+ miles back to back a few months ago and my foot was hurting a bit, but I think it was more pushing myself so far. My socks are just some champion athletic performance socks from Target, and I still haven't gotten new running shoes- they're pretty basic New Balances, that I don't know if they're even specific for running, but I've not had any problems with them. It's on my to do list to finally get fitted and buy real ones, but I figure mine have held up so far!

I just realized last week is the last week of this "Getting Fit For Fall" Challenge. And I'm UP weight. UGH, *dies*

I slept better last night. I usually don't have problems with sleeping. I left work early yesterday and got a small nap in and tried to get to bed at a decent time last night. Took a bit of time to fall asleep (but it's always taken me a while to do so), but slept well and was awake and as ready as I was going to be when my alarm went off before 5:30 this morning. Got up and did my "short" run of 5.3 miles. It was a bit longer than the planned 5 because I had to take a pit stop halfway through (erm, tmi digestive issues), and that added a bit of distance to the run having to make a short detour home. I was just proud of myself for going back out of the apt again to run even though I'd already put 2.6ish in. *pats self on back*

Yesterday I did some Zumba dvds. I had downloaded them over the weekend. I did the learn the basics video (~55min, but not much of a sweat producers), and was feeling good so did the 20 min workout video as well, which wasn't too bad. I still didn't feel like I was working up a lot of a sweat, but I enjoyed it. Will try maybe the cardio party one later this week.

Knew I shouldn't have weighed myself yesterday, because the number would be bad. It was shockingly so. This morning it was down 3.5 pounds from yesterday (talk about fluctuation), but I'm still up from my lowest. Ugh. Trying not to get too caught up on the number, but it's pretty frustrating. Definitely won't hit my 170s by Labor Day goal. *sigh* Extremely doubtful I'll be out of the obese BMI prior to my year anniversary here. *double sigh* But as we all know, it's a journey...
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Today probably won't be a good calorie day. Tomorrow is my sister's birthday and since she will be out of town, we are doing her birthday dinner tonight. The good news is I'm also meeting Natalie (20yo potential roommie) at 7:30 so I will have an excuse to leave at a decent time. I've asked the bff to go to starbucks with me and sit at the next table over so I can have a second opinion about the girl. hmm....I gave Natalie my phone number so we can text to find each other tonight and she's texting me now...asking if I'm in school or if I work. I think she's just excited.

ok let me get yall's opinions....if the "interview" goes well tonight, do you think I should offer to let her come see my house? It's only about 5 minutes down the road from where we are meeting. And to be fair to her, I think she should get to see the place. Maybe I should wait to decide if I want to live with her first and she can see it before she signs the contract......hmmm.....

oh yeah...and what should I order at starbucks tonight thats very low cal? I want something but the only thing I know how to order is a frappucino.

ETA: what question do you think I should ask her? This is just a "getting to know you" type meeting to see if we'd click as roommies.....I mean, I will ask about the family that she's a nanny for...how long she's worked with them....she's going to a community college here in Jan (what is she going for)....those are the obvious questions. Yall got any more suggestions for me?
  • akasullengal
    Options
    Kendal- you'll have to let us know how the meetin goes today! If she's asking lots of questions, that usually means that the person is pretty interested and excited! I think if the interview goes well, she should definitely be able to see the place before she signs anything... because it needs to be a good fit for both of you. I'm sure online there are generic rental leases that youc an download and use for the agreement. I think when I rented from a guy with some roommates while I was in NC, he used a pretty generic NC lease agreement. And my landlords now used a pretty generic one too, but then you can add certain clauses to it.

As for what to order at Starbucks, some of their drinks can be pretty caloric. Get a smaller size. Also, they have their nutritional information online. Don't order any of their baked goods... uber caloric. Get something with non-fat milk and sugar free syrup. A tall skinny flavored latte (skim milk, sugar free syrup) are only 90 calories and your getting some extra protein for the milk. You can customize frappaccinos now to be "lite", where it has nonfat milk and no whip cream, and I think smaller sizes are only around 120-140ish calories for the drink. Depends on what you're looking for. I think a lot of the drinks are already entered in MPF's database.

As for questions, defintiely getting to know each other. Before you sign anything, check her references. I think more than anything, clicking personally is a big thing. Granted, you don't need to be BFFs.... I've had varying relationships with my roommates, but you have to be able to live together. Does she cook a lot? Is she more of a morning person or night owl? Does she go out a lot? What does she like to do for fun? Why is she looking for a place to live? How long is she interested in renting for? What are things that SHE's looking for in a rental? Has she lived with someone before and how did that go?

Just some thoughts... GOOD LUCK and keep us updated! Hopefully you'll get some additional interest in your ad as well.