trying to speed up my motabilsim

Options
I am currently maintaining on 1700 calories is there anyway I could speed up my metabolism and maintain on 1900 calories without having to do extreme exercise?

Replies

• moore7600
    Options
    Im finding eating little and often helps....sure i have to exercise as well but im loosing....but then thats not necessarily what will work for you. Play around with a few things and find what fits
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any type of resistance training?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and sizing have nothing to do with it.

The only way you can up your TDEE is to have more lean body mass. Strength training will do that, as muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle you have, the more you can eat to maintain your current weight.

I don't know what you class as 'extreme exercise', though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining on 1700 calories is there anyway I could speed up my metabolism and maintain on 1900 calories without having to do extreme exercise?

200 cals worth of exercise isnt really 'extreme'.

the only other way to increase your metabolism is to gain more muscle.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Building muscle is really the only way to increase metabolism.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options

From what I read ( Chris Powell) you can make it burn hotter and longer.
    Eat every 3 hours.
    Eat some Carbs and protien.
  • CoreyJBooth
    Options
    Eat little and often is the best way to boost metabolism :) Around 8 little meals a day I have read is the best way to do it!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Eat little and often is the best way to boost metabolism :) Around 8 little meals a day I have read is the best way to do it!

Lol no.

Read the link SideSteel posted.

OP, increase your muscle mass.
    And its 'metabolism'
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    What do you consider extreme?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Move more throughout the day. Walk instead of drive, stand instead of sit, fidget more, take the stairs, etc. It doesn't increase our metabolism but it will increase your TDEE.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

What Mr Sexypants said.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Sure. Go for a 2 mile jog every day. Unless a half hour of exercise a day is "extreme."
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Ok, two camps going on here. One is to split your meals up and eat smaller thought the day. The other is to increase muscle mass.

I know what the answer but I'll relate to to cars, because cars are fun and can transform into robots.

I fill my car up at 8 am 11am 1pm, 4pm 8pm.

I rip out my 4 cylinder engine and put a 12 cylinder in it, put a bigger tank on it and top it off.

what is going to use more gas?
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Eating a high protein diet will boost your metabolism very, very slightly. Probably not even a noticeable amount, definitely nothing like 200 calories.

As many people said, increasing muscle mass is the only way to have a significant effect on metabolism.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ok, two camps going on here. One is to split your meals up and eat smaller thought the day. The other is to increase muscle mass.

I know what the answer but I'll relate to to cars, because cars are fun and can transform into robots.

I rip out my 4 cylinder engine and put a 12 cylinder in it, put a bigger tank on it and top it off.

This is incomprehensible. What's the engine in this analogy? How do you "rip out" your engine?

The car analogy isn't a bad one though. Think of it like this:

Does your car use more or less fuel if you fill it up every time you hit the 3/4 full mark versus if you run it empty every time?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

If I leave the car at home and walk to work, I'll use up more gas and get the desired results.
    Especially if I had beans for lunch.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Burn 200 calories.
    There really isn't a way to increase metabolism, only keep it steady by eating frequently, staying hydrated, getting enough sleep yada yada
    1,700 is your maintenance, unless you gain weight
    Which you can do, either by gaining fat, or muscle, both of which will take time
    You'd likely want to go with muscle.
    I'm not an expert on gains, as gains is not my aim right now, but basically, eat more, and more protein and go lift (which I find extremely fun, not extreme exercise.)
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    +1 to this good advice

Meal timing and sizing have nothing to do with it.

The only way you can up your TDEE is to have more lean body mass. Strength training will do that, as muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle you have, the more you can eat to maintain your current weight.

I don't know what you class as 'extreme exercise', though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Take your dog for an extra walk every day would be the easiest way to make up the 200 calorie difference.