trying to speed up my motabilsim

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Ok, two camps going on here. One is to split your meals up and eat smaller thought the day. The other is to increase muscle mass.

I know what the answer but I'll relate to to cars, because cars are fun and can transform into robots.

I fill my car up at 8 am 11am 1pm, 4pm 8pm.

I rip out my 4 cylinder engine and put a 12 cylinder in it, put a bigger tank on it and top it off.

what is going to use more gas?

This is incomprehensible. What's the engine in this analogy? How do you "rip out" your engine?

The car analogy isn't a bad one though. Think of it like this:

Does your car use more or less fuel if you fill it up every time you hit the 3/4 full mark versus if you run it empty every time?

Make sense to me. Replacing a 4 cylinder with a 12 is analogous to building muscle.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Your choices are:

1) Increase exercise
    2) Increase body weight
    3) Or both
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be able to eat 2000 calories a day and maintain without exercise, but to do that I'm probably going to have to gain a good bit of weight so that I have the muscle to require that much. How will I get that? By eating a surplus and lifting heavy for a really long time. So that's going to take a good long while, especially since I am already overfat and don't really want to gain any more. So, I am kinda stuck with the exercising anyway. Oh well.

Right now my goal is not to lose any weight because I'm not really restricting calories, I'm just trying to get crazy strong without gaining any weight. At the end of the year, I might cut calories a little to take off some fat, then once I get down to a reasonable body fat I'll work on a small surplus to put on more muscle. Eventually I'll get where I want to be, but we're talking about a 5 or 10 year plan here. Probably not what you're looking for.

This is not a game for the impatient! :laugh:
  • hanssonrickard
    Options
    Maybe not the most scientific thing, but eat chilis and spices as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining on 1700 calories is there anyway I could speed up my metabolism and maintain on 1900 calories without having to do extreme exercise?

From what I read ( Chris Powell) you can make it burn hotter and longer.
    Eat every 3 hours.
    Eat some Carbs and protien.

that is not correct...

eating every three hours, or once a day has zero impact on metabolism...
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining on 1700 calories is there anyway I could speed up my metabolism and maintain on 1900 calories without having to do extreme exercise?

Lifting heavy weights 3x a week for 30min was not extreme for me. Have had excellent results.
    Best of luck!!
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Look up the videos and writings of Layne Norton OP.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You're talking 200 calories. Get a pedometer a couple miles every day.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    increase your NEAT or go for a run.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    To inrease your motabilism, you need to listen to Smokey Robinson, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, The Isley Brothers, Gladys Knight and the pips, etc.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You could just drink more coffee instead of eat. The Caffeine would dull your appetite, increase your heart rate and help you lose weight the way weight loss drugs do but that's a terrible idea along with gaining a crack habit. A lot of anorexic type people drink tea all day long with sugar - sometimes skipping the tea and having a teaspoon of sugar and that is ALL they go on all day long. Then they get really weak feeling and sick feeling and skinny but it works. I mean, lots of things work. I jog two miles a day and you know what? My body got used to it. You do the same exercise for five years and you just adjust your body chemistry and its no longer effective. So people were all on me to 'lift weights' what a crock of crap. I tore up my shoulder, I didn't lose weight, and I ended up with 6k in doctor bills - and no I wasn't being extreme. The doctor said I was just getting old. You can't keep that kind of stuff up forever. Maybe just eat the calories and do what's right for you. I wouldn't listen to anyone. Whatever you do don't fall into the gym culture trap of perpetual almost to perfection if you just do enough squats.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    To inrease your motabilism, you need to listen to Smokey Robinson, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, The Isley Brothers, Gladys Knight and the pips, etc.

:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

From what I read ( Chris Powell) you can make it burn hotter and longer.
    Eat every 3 hours.
    Eat some Carbs and protien.
    Myth. Meal timing and frequency doesn't increase metabolism.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Maybe just eat the calories and do what's right for you. I wouldn't listen to anyone. Whatever you do don't fall into the gym culture trap of perpetual almost to perfection if you just do enough squats.

what? Please explain this "trap of perpetual almost to perfection if you just do enough squats" theory....

typing that made my brain hurt...

and if OP should not listen to anyone, then why should they listen to your theory on gym culture..?
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

speed up your metabolism?

increase muscle mass, fever, illness, pregnancy, luteal phase of menstrual cycle
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You could just drink more coffee instead of eat. The Caffeine would dull your appetite, increase your heart rate and help you lose weight the way weight loss drugs do but that's a terrible idea along with gaining a crack habit. A lot of anorexic type people drink tea all day long with sugar - sometimes skipping the tea and having a teaspoon of sugar and that is ALL they go on all day long. Then they get really weak feeling and sick feeling and skinny but it works. I mean, lots of things work. I jog two miles a day and you know what? My body got used to it. You do the same exercise for five years and you just adjust your body chemistry and its no longer effective. So people were all on me to 'lift weights' what a crock of crap. I tore up my shoulder, I didn't lose weight, and I ended up with 6k in doctor bills - and no I wasn't being extreme. The doctor said I was just getting old. You can't keep that kind of stuff up forever. Maybe just eat the calories and do what's right for you. I wouldn't listen to anyone. Whatever you do don't fall into the gym culture trap of perpetual almost to perfection if you just do enough squats.
    One year ago I was doing water exercise to get back into exercising safely without injury. Last Friday I deadlifted 220 pounds. One doesn't have to injure oneself to work into a heavy lifting program, just because you injured yourself. And yes, I have been injured many times over the course of my gym career and had to do PT, because I have a genetic problem with my connective tissues. It means I need to focus MORE on getting stronger, not LESS, so that my muscles can do the work of holding my body together that my ligaments and tendons can't. Getting older is the reason to keep lifting weights, not the reason to stop lifting weights.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Look at the people who have been most successful and see what they do.

It's your choice if this poster fits your idea of "most successful."
  • JJMaritz
    JJMaritz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The only way to speed up metabolism is to ad lean muscle to your body. There are no scientific prove that eating smaller more frequent meals will do that. I have a very fast metabolism and I only eat twice a day while fasting for the rest of the day.
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    Okay so on my to do list

. Drink more
    . Eat more protein/meat
    . Exercise for an extra half an hour everyday
    .Build muscle
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Building muscle is really the only way to increase metabolism.

THIS