trying to speed up my motabilsim

Options

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You could just drink more coffee instead of eat. The Caffeine would dull your appetite, increase your heart rate and help you lose weight the way weight loss drugs do but that's a terrible idea along with gaining a crack habit. A lot of anorexic type people drink tea all day long with sugar - sometimes skipping the tea and having a teaspoon of sugar and that is ALL they go on all day long. Then they get really weak feeling and sick feeling and skinny but it works. I mean, lots of things work. I jog two miles a day and you know what? My body got used to it. You do the same exercise for five years and you just adjust your body chemistry and its no longer effective. So people were all on me to 'lift weights' what a crock of crap. I tore up my shoulder, I didn't lose weight, and I ended up with 6k in doctor bills - and no I wasn't being extreme. The doctor said I was just getting old. You can't keep that kind of stuff up forever. Maybe just eat the calories and do what's right for you. I wouldn't listen to anyone. Whatever you do don't fall into the gym culture trap of perpetual almost to perfection if you just do enough squats.

There is so much wrong in this post that I'd usually ignore it, but I couldn't help but respond to one point you made:

"the doctor said I was just getting old. You can't keep that kind of stuff up forever" I beg to differ.

ernessje.jpg Ernestine Shepherd is around 75 years old I don't see her stopping anytime soon.

And she didn't start training until she was 50
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    So people were all on me to 'lift weights' what a crock of crap. I tore up my shoulder, I didn't lose weight, and I ended up with 6k in doctor bills - and no I wasn't being extreme. The doctor said I was just getting old. You can't keep that kind of stuff up forever. Maybe just eat the calories and do what's right for you. I wouldn't listen to anyone. Whatever you do don't fall into the gym culture trap of perpetual almost to perfection if you just do enough squats.

There's a lot to be said for proper form and technique. Maybe you should have listened to someone after all.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You could just drink more coffee instead of eat. The Caffeine would dull your appetite, increase your heart rate and help you lose weight the way weight loss drugs do but that's a terrible idea along with gaining a crack habit. A lot of anorexic type people drink tea all day long with sugar - sometimes skipping the tea and having a teaspoon of sugar and that is ALL they go on all day long. Then they get really weak feeling and sick feeling and skinny but it works. I mean, lots of things work. I jog two miles a day and you know what? My body got used to it. You do the same exercise for five years and you just adjust your body chemistry and its no longer effective. So people were all on me to 'lift weights' what a crock of crap. I tore up my shoulder, I didn't lose weight, and I ended up with 6k in doctor bills - and no I wasn't being extreme. The doctor said I was just getting old. You can't keep that kind of stuff up forever. Maybe just eat the calories and do what's right for you. I wouldn't listen to anyone. Whatever you do don't fall into the gym culture trap of perpetual almost to perfection if you just do enough squats.

There is so much wrong in this post that I'd usually ignore it, but I couldn't help but respond to one point you made:

"the doctor said I was just getting old. You can't keep that kind of stuff up forever" I beg to differ.

ernessje.jpg Ernestine Shepherd is around 75 years old I don't see her stopping anytime soon.

thank you! I wasn't gonna bother either, but I've seen so many transformations even after age of 50, 60, 70, nothing is impossible. If you injure yourself, chances are you didn't follow proper form.

Increase muscle mass, best by picking up heavy things and putting them back down. to increase TDEE, not metaolism: Make effort to walk more (stairs, park your car in the furthest spot etc.) do house chores, go for walks, drink cold drinks (not sure about that one but the idea is that your body has to use energy to heat it up... I think this would be marginal, but thought I'd insert a little broscience here :))
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Ok, two camps going on here. One is to split your meals up and eat smaller thought the day. The other is to increase muscle mass.

I know what the answer but I'll relate to to cars, because cars are fun and can transform into robots.

I fill my car up at 8 am 11am 1pm, 4pm 8pm.

I rip out my 4 cylinder engine and put a 12 cylinder in it, put a bigger tank on it and top it off.

what is going to use more gas?

This is incomprehensible. What's the engine in this analogy? How do you "rip out" your engine?

The car analogy isn't a bad one though. Think of it like this:

Does your car use more or less fuel if you fill it up every time you hit the 3/4 full mark versus if you run it empty every time?

:sick:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

It's a wonder what proper form and appropriate weight choices do while lifting.... :huh:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Awesome...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Building muscle is really the only way to increase metabolism.

Oh, and this ^^^
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    No.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    You're talking 200 calories. Get a pedometer a couple miles every day.

That will do nothing for her metabolism. She is specifically asking how she can burn more calories at rest.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

How YOU doin'?

:noway:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You're talking 200 calories. Get a pedometer a couple miles every day.

That will do nothing for her metabolism. She is specifically asking how she can burn more calories at rest.
    The answer to that would be to add 34lbs of muscle or 100lbs of fat....
    Which is why being a little more active each day is probably a more realistic solution.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining on 1700 calories is there anyway I could speed up my metabolism and maintain on 1900 calories without having to do extreme exercise?

Burning 200 calories/day doesn't require "extreme exercise". That's only a 4 mile walk or 2 mile run for a 180 pound person.

The caloric burn effects of adding muscle (which is already very hard to do for most people) are vastly vastly overrated. Lean mass adds about 6 calories per pound to your RMR - you'd have to add 35 pounds of muscle to reach your goal.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    a walk for 40 minutes. But I don't know if that's too craycray.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Make sense to me. Replacing a 4 cylinder with a 12 is analogous to building muscle.

It is most analogous to vast improvements in cardiovascular fitness.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Increase your metabolism - add more muscle
    Increase your Total Daily Energy Expended - more exercise, walk more, etc...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Im finding eating little and often helps....sure i have to exercise as well but im loosing....but then thats not necessarily what will work for you. Play around with a few things and find what fits

Timing of meals has no effect on metabolic rate although it might be easier for some to control overall portions etc when eating small meals more frequently.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining on 1700 calories is there anyway I could speed up my metabolism and maintain on 1900 calories without having to do extreme exercise?

Burning 200 calories/day doesn't require "extreme exercise". That's only a 4 mile walk or 2 mile run for a 180 pound person.

The caloric burn effects of adding muscle (which is already very hard to do for most people) are vastly vastly overrated. Lean mass adds about 6 calories per pound to your RMR - you'd have to add 35 pounds of muscle to reach your goal.

Or 8 minutes of Tae Bo
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Sure. Go for a 2 mile jog every day. Unless a half hour of exercise a day is "extreme."

What will happen to your knees if you jog 2 miles everyday? Will injury occur from repetitive stress?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Or 8 minutes of Tae Bo

That's equivalent to running 2 miles at 4 minutes per mile. Doable, yes, but only for someone already at an elite level of fitness. Typical Tae Bo participant will burn much, much slower than that.