What to dip in soup?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about crusty bread?

^^ This

But TBH, I prefer crackers in my soup. Ritz are the best, but saltines are less expensive.

I like goldfish crackers in my tomato soup......saltines with everything else or a grilled cheese lol

Must try! I haven't had goldfish crackers in many years.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I still use rolls or bread to dip in my soup. Unless if' tomato soup. Then I dip in a grilled cheese sandwich (without tomoatoes).
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    How has nobody posted this yet?!
    ken-marino.jpg
    :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though... I don't eat soup very often because it usually doesn't have enough protein for me, but when I do, I pretty much just eat it without dipping anything into it but my spoon. I do eat bread, but usually only the equivalent of one piece per meal and I want to spend it on a sandwich most of the time.

ETA: the earlier poster's idea about Ryvitas is a good one too. Plus, great fiber content AND low in calories.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Depends on how much, and whether it's white bread or made with whole grains. White bread is converted to sugar in the liver, while whole grains are harder to digest and better for lowering cholesterol. Small amounts of white bread aren't harmful with soup, especially if it's a good high-fiber, low-sodium soup.

miley-s-adorable-laugh-o.gif

Not sure what you find laughable... perhaps you'd care to elaborate? Are you disagreeing that white bread is less healthy than whole-grain, or that small amounts of white bread aren't helpful?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I like to dip corn tortillas with avacado in my soups.
    That sounds good.

I skip bread whenever possible when trying to limit calories. Too 'expensive', not filling enough for its calories. I'd rather have a second bowl of soup.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Depends on how much, and whether it's white bread or made with whole grains. White bread is converted to sugar in the liver, while whole grains are harder to digest and better for lowering cholesterol. Small amounts of white bread aren't harmful with soup, especially if it's a good high-fiber, low-sodium soup.

Not sure what you find laughable... perhaps you'd care to elaborate? Are you disagreeing that white bread is less healthy than whole-grain, or that small amounts of white bread aren't helpful?

I'm guessing it's the "white bread is converted to sugar in the liver" part. Enzymes in the digestive tract convert starches to sugars.

Is whole grain healthier? Depends on how you define healthier. I'm a white bread fan because it has less calories and carbs than whole grain bread, which makes sandwiches easier to fit into my plan. Which is good.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The answer is always Tortilla Chips
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Oh lawwwwd
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

White bread is not less healthy than whole grain. All carbs are converted to sugar, not just the carbs in white bread. Pretty sure she's laughing at the fact that you're spreading what amounts to be propaganda at this point, as that stance has been pretty much abandoned by modern nutritional science, about the same time they admitted the glycemic index is useless.

Case in point, put butter on the white bread, and now it will be digested even more slowly than whole grain bread.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Edit - double post.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I'm guessing it's the "white bread is converted to sugar in the liver" part. Enzymes in the digestive tract convert starches to sugars.

Is whole grain healthier? Depends on how you define healthier. I'm a white bread fan because it has less calories and carbs than whole grain bread, which makes sandwiches easier to fit into my plan. Which is good.

Ok, I see. I was mistaken about the breakdown - I guess I was thinking of glycogen storage in the liver, released for energy, after the complex carbohydrate is broken down in the gut.
    Typically whole grain is considered healthier, because not all of it is broken down, and it does cause a "scrubbing" effect in the blood, which can reduce cholesterol levels. That being said, I can only eat the simpler forms, like white rice vs. brown, or white potatoes, and can't eat gluten at all. I do buy a whole-grain gluten-free bread that is pretty good, and two slices is only 130 calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I'd be interested in more info about when whole grains being more healthy was debunked. It seems like most authorities still recommend them.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/the_best_bread_tips_for_buying_breads

http://www.mayoclinic.org/whole-grains/ART-20047826

http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442471695
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Typically whole grain is considered healthier, because not all of it is broken down...
    If you think about it, that would be highly undesirable as it means you are fueling your body with an inefficient fuel. Meaning you would need to eat more, not less, to get the same amount of net energy.

Only modern agriculture could come up with such a devious plan to increase people's food consumption...
    ...and it does cause a "scrubbing" effect in the blood, which can reduce cholesterol levels.
    And, sorry, but that part is just nonsense.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Typically whole grain is considered healthier, because not all of it is broken down...
    If you think about it, that would be highly undesirable as it means you are fueling your body with an inefficient fuel. Meaning you would need to eat more, not less, to get the same amount of net energy.

Only modern agriculture could come up with such a devious plan to increase people's food consumption...
    ...and it does cause a "scrubbing" effect in the blood, which can reduce cholesterol levels.

Not so much.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/cardiovascular/cholesterol/foods-that-lower-cholesterol2.htm
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Not so much.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/cardiovascular/cholesterol/foods-that-lower-cholesterol2.htm

Not sure about the "Scrubbing effect," but eating heart healthy, which included swapping out for whole grains as recommended by my doctor, did lower my cholesterol.

Edited for punctuation.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    We want inefficient fuels. We want satiety with little calories. That's what fiber does. We get to eat more volume for less calorie buck. If we wanted the opposite, we should live off fat. It's got the most calories per gram.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    We want inefficient fuels. We want satiety with little calories. That's what fiber does. We get to eat more volume for less calorie buck. If we wanted the opposite, we should live off fat. It's got the most calories per gram.
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree there. And I may be a weirdo, but I like the taste and texture of whole grain bread waaaay more than that of white bread.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    A spoon.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

White bread is not less healthy than whole grain. All carbs are converted to sugar, not just the carbs in white bread. Pretty sure she's laughing at the fact that you're spreading what amounts to be propaganda at this point, as that stance has been pretty much abandoned by modern nutritional science, about the same time they admitted the glycemic index is useless.

Case in point, put butter on the white bread, and now it will be digested even more slowly than whole grain bread.

^^ Tigersword nailed it, as usual.

And FTR, it's not so much that the comment was hilarious, but mostly I just like this GIF and was happy to post it in lieu of an "LOL."
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Find a whole wheat pita that has a high fiber content and tear it up to make pita chips in the oven. They are a great substitute for crackers and you can season them however you like (or not at all if you just want the crunch)!