What to dip in soup?

Options
So, I've just had some soup. But really really missed the lovely crusty rolls or the bread that I usually dunk in! I want to replace it with something healthier to dip in...

Any ideas? Or does this just sound pretty weird ;)

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I used to love dipping snack a jacks (rice cakes in soup). You could have a salad with some extra protein alongside to make it more filling
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about crusty bread?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^ This

But TBH, I prefer crackers in my soup. Ritz are the best, but saltines are less expensive.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I use ryvita (which are good for fibre + 35 calories ) or rice cakes :3
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like to dip whole grain bread in my soup. Or saltine crackers. Just make sure you check calories and serving sizes and there is nothing wrong with bread and soup. Unless you prefer super calorie heavy soups, and then you may need to switch to broth based soups.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't dip unless it's grilled cheese sandwiches into tomato soup. But I do like having crackers on the side. You can still have your crusty bread, just keep portions within your calories like anything else. Maybe reduced fat crescent rolls?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Depends on how much, and whether it's white bread or made with whole grains. White bread is converted to sugar in the liver, while whole grains are harder to digest and better for lowering cholesterol. Small amounts of white bread aren't harmful with soup, especially if it's a good high-fiber, low-sodium soup.
  • NatalieG525
    NatalieG525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas :) I eat way too much bread, so thought i'd try and find an alternative!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Depends on how much, and whether it's white bread or made with whole grains. White bread is converted to sugar in the liver, while whole grains are harder to digest and better for lowering cholesterol. Small amounts of white bread aren't harmful with soup, especially if it's a good high-fiber, low-sodium soup.

miley-s-adorable-laugh-o.gif
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    As a recent celiac diagnosis- aka- no gluten for joo- I feel your pain about missing things in my soup:)

Here's my substitutions:

Crackers- as they've already been mentioned.
    Celery. No joke. for some reason i really just miss the crunch and this fixes it. Baby Carrots too. And peppers:)
    Gluten free bread. I will make some *sometimes* just for my soup. But hey, I love bread, sue me. And I've found that my homemade bread can satisfy me on a lot less than the store bought stuff ever could.
    about 1/8 of a cup of quinoa on the side:) it soaks up my stuff and is REALLY filling)

(but I eat less than 100 carbs a day most days- less than 130 more than 25 out of 30 days, so that would be why I go veggie)
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My problem with bread to dip is the amount of butter I like to put on it. I can easily eat triple the amount of calories from the soup in bread and butter alone. Bread also makes me pretty bloated.

But it still has to be done sometimes
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bread - even white bread.
    Unless it's stale.
    Or burnt.
    Or moldy.
    Then it's yucky
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of a nice sour dough. I usually slice off about 2 oz or so and go with that. I've been making my own sour dough lately and it's pretty awesome...great probiotics for the gut as well.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    220px-Soup_Spoon.jpg

happy new year :):flowerforyou:
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options

^^ This

But TBH, I prefer crackers in my soup. Ritz are the best, but saltines are less expensive.

I like goldfish crackers in my tomato soup......saltines with everything else or a grilled cheese lol
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    If you can't fit a piece of bread into your calorie count, try crackers. Ritz Roasted Vegetable crackers are 16 calories each and REALLY good.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I like to dip corn tortillas with avacado in my soups.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If you can't fit a piece of bread into your calorie count, try crackers. Ritz Roasted Vegetable crackers are 16 calories each and REALLY good.

The bread is easier to fit into calorie goals than the crackers.

16g of ritz roast veg crackers is 80 calories.

25g of white bread is 66 calories.

Stick with dipping bread in your soup. there aren't many better options.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Radical I know, but I dont dip anything in mine.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Radical I know, but I dont dip anything in mine.

:noway:

Depends for me, sometimes I have soup as a snack so won't have bread if its a meal then lots of bread!