What to dip in soup?

Options

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about crusty bread?

^^ This

But TBH, I prefer crackers in my soup. Ritz are the best, but saltines are less expensive.

I like goldfish crackers in my tomato soup......saltines with everything else or a grilled cheese lol

Tomato soup with goldfish= my lunch today!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    White bread is not less healthy than whole grain. All carbs are converted to sugar, not just the carbs in white bread. Pretty sure she's laughing at the fact that you're spreading what amounts to be propaganda at this point, as that stance has been pretty much abandoned by modern nutritional science, about the same time they admitted the glycemic index is useless.

Case in point, put butter on the white bread, and now it will be digested even more slowly than whole grain bread.

^^ Tigersword nailed it, as usual.
    Sources, please? I googled a little but all I see about glycemic index being useless is from bodybuilding blogs, for the most part. I wouldn't call that 'modern nutritional science' but I didn't go into their sources. Whole grains not being more healthy than refined ones didn't turn up much at all.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Depends on how much, and whether it's white bread or made with whole grains. White bread is converted to sugar in the liver, while whole grains are harder to digest and better for lowering cholesterol. Small amounts of white bread aren't harmful with soup, especially if it's a good high-fiber, low-sodium soup.

miley-s-adorable-laugh-o.gif

Not sure what you find laughable... perhaps you'd care to elaborate? Are you disagreeing that white bread is less healthy than whole-grain, or that small amounts of white bread aren't helpful?
    White bread is not less healthy than whole grain. All carbs are converted to sugar, not just the carbs in white bread. Pretty sure she's laughing at the fact that you're spreading what amounts to be propaganda at this point, as that stance has been pretty much abandoned by modern nutritional science, about the same time they admitted the glycemic index is useless.

Case in point, put butter on the white bread, and now it will be digested even more slowly than whole grain bread.

here's some information why whole grain is healthier.
    http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/diet/wholegrains.cfm
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I love to sprinkle high quality grated parmigiano reggiano (Parmesan) cheese on top, or swirl in some homemade pesto made with fresh basil and extra virgin olive oil. So healthy to do and kicks up the flavour so nicely!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    IN. For blood scrubbing.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Oyster crackers are pretty good in soup.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    IN. For blood scrubbing.
    Whether or not cholesterol levels in the blood are something we should watch is a legitimate controversy. (I personally don't.) Whether eating high fiber, whole grain foods improves serum cholesterol levels isn't really. It's been known for decades.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol/ART-20045192
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    So, I've just had some soup. But really really missed the lovely crusty rolls or the bread that I usually dunk in! I want to replace it with something healthier to dip in...

Any ideas? Or does this just sound pretty weird ;)

Sounds weird. Stick with your delicious crusty rolls.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    IN. For blood scrubbing.

Yeah, it is really neat to look at under a microscope. You see, in the human body, whole wheat enters the blood stream and like a knight errant travels the veins far and wide eradicating evil cholesterol goblins who stroll the valleys and plains causing havoc for the poor hemoglobin peasants. The indigestible fibrous bran of the grain is the mighty Excalibur wielded by the brave wheat endosperm, fueled by the high-nutrient capacity of the benevolent germ.

True story.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    IN. For blood scrubbing.

Yeah, it is really neat to look at under a microscope. You see, in the human body, whole wheat enters the blood stream and like a knight errant travels the veins far and wide eradicating evil cholesterol goblins who stroll the valleys and plains causing havoc for the poor hemoglobin peasants. The indigestible fibrous bran of the grain is the mighty Excalibur wielded by the brave wheat endosperm, fueled by the high-nutrient capacity of the benevolent germ.

True story.

Oh. That is much more exciting than I had envisioned (peasants on their hands and knees, etc.).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    balls…of cheese...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So, I've just had some soup. But really really missed the lovely crusty rolls or the bread that I usually dunk in! I want to replace it with something healthier to dip in...

ummm keep using bread…

nothing wrong with bread as long as you stay under calorie goal...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Depends on how much, and whether it's white bread or made with whole grains. White bread is converted to sugar in the liver, while whole grains are harder to digest and better for lowering cholesterol. Small amounts of white bread aren't harmful with soup, especially if it's a good high-fiber, low-sodium soup.

bahahahahahaha…

You are a funny person ..

why you gotta be hating on the white bread….???
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    IN. For blood scrubbing.

True story.

The sarcasm, GIFs and lunkish love of white bread are amusing but so much less convincing than actual sources. :indifferent:
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If the bread you like is costing too many calories try eating half the amount. Or change to a lower calorie soup option.

Personally, I like all kinds of stuff in my soup. Not forks or knives, but otherwise: Croutons, crackers, toast, grilled cheese, cornbread - depends on mood. Crackers are good if you have limited calories to blow - use small ones and you can count them out to make how many you can afford. And BTW I LOVE goldfish in my tomato soup. that's just required.

I also have taken the aldi's fit and active high fiber wraps or ole high fiber wraps - cut them into pieces or whole and break them up after - and ran them through the oven (watch closely though - they go from not quite done to burned beyond recognition in about 5 secs).
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    IN. For blood scrubbing.

True story.

The sarcasm, GIFs and lunkish love of white bread are amusing but so much less convincing than actual sources. :indifferent:

^This.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Crusty bread. Just weigh it and log it. Mmmm.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Absolutely nothing wrong with bread rolls unless you can't fit them into your calorie goal.

That said when I take soup to work for lunch I'll take half a dozen ryvita, which can be nice.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much soup because it's hard to get enough protein....and it doesn't really go with summer! When I do though, I make a protein bread which is quite similar in texture to normal bread when toasted....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    IN. For blood scrubbing.

True story.

I could say the same thing about whole grain. I've seen lots of "anti-white bread" dogma in this thread, but not a single shred of scientific evidence against it. Interestingly enough, that matches my own personal research on the subject.