So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Morning bump. Great thread. Needs to be towards the top for newbies to find more easily.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Why did this get unsticked? WTF
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

They decided that it was a good idea to rotate the topics. Several of them got unstickied and an unhelpful thread replaced several good ones.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Because they feel it's necessary to rotate new stickys in like that super duper awesome thread on super helpful tips like "don't take money to work".

Then we ask why things are done like that we get ignored and the thread gets closed. Who should make the decision on which threads are sticky worthy? People that are on this site daily using it or people that work at MFP that aren't even giving out advice?

Not only did they ignore us, they deleted a good chunk of our comments about how unhelpful that "super helpful" thread is.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Lisa1971 wrote: »
    What about alcohol? Is it ok to have as long as I stay in my caloric deficit or should I give it up completely? Thanks!

Metabolically speaking alcohol and caffeine will inhibit fat burning. Note that this occurs on a molecular level. Caloric deficit is the primary driver; however alcohol and caffeine with reduce the impact, not eliminate it, but reduce your fat burning potential.

IMHO the good far outweighs the bad :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Because they feel it's necessary to rotate new stickys in like that super duper awesome thread on super helpful tips like "don't take money to work".

Then we ask why things are done like that we get ignored and the thread gets closed. Who should make the decision on which threads are sticky worthy? People that are on this site daily using it or people that work at MFP that aren't even giving out advice?

Not only did they ignore us, they deleted a good chunk of our comments about how unhelpful that "super helpful" thread is.

Wow I didn't notice they deleted stuf . I thought they just closed it. I don't get what is so hard about explaining the logic behind it? This site is for the members, aren't we the members as well? Seriously, I would love to know who thought "This super helpful thread us great, let's make it a sticky". It's a clear representation of how the desire to have accurate information out there doesn't outweigh the desire to make it a super supportive environment.

I'm sure that some of us that are airing our frustration with this whole thing will be reprimanded because we aren't allowed to question their actions at all.

I have been shying away from the forums lately because of crap like this.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    What about alcohol? Is it ok to have as long as I stay in my caloric deficit or should I give it up completely? Thanks!

Metabolically speaking alcohol and caffeine will inhibit fat burning. Note that this occurs on a molecular level. Caloric deficit is the primary driver; however alcohol and caffeine with reduce the impact, not eliminate it, but reduce your fat burning potential.

I suspect this is a lot like my philosophy on supplements.

Far to many people spend to much time worrying about minor details when they should work harder and tighten up their diet more.
    The bulk of the population can achieve their goals through broad stroke basics- calorie deficit- and getting their sweat on at home or in the gym.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Can I interject that there is confusion/assumption that we lose or gain fat cells. We will always have the same number of fat cells it's a matter of their size. Correct?

There isn't much research into adipose tissue apoptosis (fat cell death). Most of the research out there is inconclusive about long term implications, but researchers have observed necrosis of adipose tissue. Mice studies (which do not necessarily translate to humans) show that fat cells over time will die and not be rejuvenated. Most of these mice studies are the reason why CLA is often suggested as a weight loss aid. I personally think there's hope that we can reduce the number of fat cells over time through maintaining a leaner body, but I don't know to what degree that might happen.

The bulk of clinical evidence is that your personal number of adipose tissue is established in adolescence and you'll have about the same number of cells thanks to programmed cell death. By all scientific evidence it's more a matter of cellular response holding reserve.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v453/n7196/full/nature06902.html

...and BUMP!!! WhoTF unstickied this?

• usmcmp
    Options
    Can I interject that there is confusion/assumption that we lose or gain fat cells. We will always have the same number of fat cells it's a matter of their size. Correct?

There isn't much research into adipose tissue apoptosis (fat cell death). Most of the research out there is inconclusive about long term implications, but researchers have observed necrosis of adipose tissue. Mice studies (which do not necessarily translate to humans) show that fat cells over time will die and not be rejuvenated. Most of these mice studies are the reason why CLA is often suggested as a weight loss aid. I personally think there's hope that we can reduce the number of fat cells over time through maintaining a leaner body, but I don't know to what degree that might happen.

The bulk of clinical evidence is that your personal number of adipose tissue is established in adolescence and you'll have about the same number of cells thanks to programmed cell death. By all scientific evidence it's more a matter of cellular response holding reserve.

Since I can't access the actual study there is no knowing how long the research was done. If it was a year versus five years or twenty years that would make a difference. Mice have shorter life cycles than humans, which is why they have studied their fat cell turnover and apoptosis. Adipose tissue apoptosis (not just necrosis) has been observed in humans, so that suggests that the study you linked was not done over a long time frame.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I'll stay fluffy to keep my coffee kthnx =P
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

l8bbqqivuaw5.jpg

Since I can't access the actual study there is no knowing how long the research was done. If it was a year versus five years or twenty years that would make a difference. Mice have shorter life cycles than humans, which is why they have studied their fat cell turnover and apoptosis. Adipose tissue apoptosis (not just necrosis) has been observed in humans, so that suggests that the study you linked was not done over a long time frame.

quote]
    I know I originally opened this particular can of worms but I prefer to think of my "fat loss" as the cute little adipose aliens from Dr. Who...
    [img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/s2/l8bbqqivuaw5.jpg[/img "...When on Earth, the Adipose's development was started when a pill from Adipose Industries was ingested. The young Adipose would grow, collecting fat from around the body. Every night, the Adipose would then be born and leave the body"... They are pretty darn cute and they just plop off of you while you sleep and happily waddle away into the night...[/img]