Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Lisa1971 wrote: »
    What about alcohol? Is it ok to have as long as I stay in my caloric deficit or should I give it up completely? Thanks!

Metabolically speaking alcohol and caffeine will inhibit fat burning. Note that this occurs on a molecular level. Caloric deficit is the primary driver; however alcohol and caffeine with reduce the impact, not eliminate it, but reduce your fat burning potential.

IMHO the good far outweighs the bad :)

Caffeine inhibits fat burning? I know alcohol does until it's fully metabolized, but caffeine?

Nope, I'm gonna call this one a case of "everyone tells me that drinking starbucks and Mt Dew will make me fat so I must assume that caffeine is the culprit and not all the other high calorie ingredients in the drink."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-truth-about-caffeine.htm
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Can I interject that there is confusion/assumption that we lose or gain fat cells. We will always have the same number of fat cells it's a matter of their size. Correct?

There isn't much research into adipose tissue apoptosis (fat cell death). Most of the research out there is inconclusive about long term implications, but researchers have observed necrosis of adipose tissue. Mice studies (which do not necessarily translate to humans) show that fat cells over time will die and not be rejuvenated. Most of these mice studies are the reason why CLA is often suggested as a weight loss aid. I personally think there's hope that we can reduce the number of fat cells over time through maintaining a leaner body, but I don't know to what degree that might happen.

The bulk of clinical evidence is that your personal number of adipose tissue is established in adolescence and you'll have about the same number of cells thanks to programmed cell death. By all scientific evidence it's more a matter of cellular response holding reserve.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v453/n7196/full/nature06902.html

...and BUMP!!! WhoTF unstickied this?

l8bbqqivuaw5.jpg

Since I can't access the actual study there is no knowing how long the research was done. If it was a year versus five years or twenty years that would make a difference. Mice have shorter life cycles than humans, which is why they have studied their fat cell turnover and apoptosis. Adipose tissue apoptosis (not just necrosis) has been observed in humans, so that suggests that the study you linked was not done over a long time frame.

quote]
    I know I originally opened this particular can of worms but I prefer to think of my "fat loss" as the cute little adipose aliens from Dr. Who...
    [img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/s2/l8bbqqivuaw5.jpg[/img "...When on Earth, the Adipose's development was started when a pill from Adipose Industries was ingested. The young Adipose would grow, collecting fat from around the body. Every night, the Adipose would then be born and leave the body"... They are pretty darn cute and they just plop off of you while you sleep and happily waddle away into the night...[/img]

That episode was so weird and creepy- but the adipose are TOTALLY cute.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I thought caffeine gave a small boost to metabolism. (Bearing in mind that anything that "boosts metabolism" basically results in a handful of extra calories burned and isn't enough to be of concern or attention)

Which, hmmmmm, if that's the case, is Irish Coffee metabolically neutral? A point to consider.

(claims about "superfoods" that "kickstart" the metabolism is one of my biggest peeves, FYI)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Unreal, seriously just absurd. Now that one is gone.

O.o

Bumpity bump so people can see the amazingness that is this thread.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    To the front page with you!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

O.o

I just realized you deleted me at some point. If I were in front of you I might have to.....

charlie-murphy-slaps-back-o.gif

Took you a bit to notice lol
    I like gifs, I hate gifs on my phone.
    always so slow and jumpy-like
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

O.o

I just realized you deleted me at some point. If I were in front of you I might have to.....

charlie-murphy-slaps-back-o.gif

Took you a bit to notice lol
    I like gifs, I hate gifs on my phone.
    always so slow and jumpy-like

Yeah, I'm not a very supportive friend and earlier I was like "Let me see what's up with her", then I was like "Oh, never mind". Well, you win some, you lose some.

Still broken. Still not running.
    but I cycle and I deadlift. Plus my rambles that get me deleted so there's that haha
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    I am doing SL 5x5 every other day mainly because I have a sweet tooth. I do eat clean except for my daily indulgence which might be a bear creek caramel waffle cone for example. I have cut my cardio down from 25 hours a week to just about 0. I have been lifting for 14 weeks, gained 4 lbs, lost 17.5 inches dropped from size 10 to size 5 - 7 depending on fit.

I have 2 questions. One, I would like to lift more but work from home what are "splits" ?

2. It's summer and I live on a bike trail and bought a "street strider" which is a elliptical bike. I would like to do that for fun. How would that affect my weight lifting program?

Thanks!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    I also noticed that you were talking about deleting threads. I'm part of the women over 50 thread and the founder of the thread just starts it new each month. That might be an idea for this very vital thread!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    daily bump
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I am doing SL 5x5 every other day mainly because I have a sweet tooth. I do eat clean except for my daily indulgence which might be a bear creek caramel waffle cone for example. I have cut my cardio down from 25 hours a week to just about 0. I have been lifting for 14 weeks, gained 4 lbs, lost 17.5 inches dropped from size 10 to size 5 - 7 depending on fit.

I have 2 questions. One, I would like to lift more but work from home what are "splits" ?

2. It's summer and I live on a bike trail and bought a "street strider" which is a elliptical bike. I would like to do that for fun. How would that affect my weight lifting program?

Thanks!!

To answer your questions:
    1. Splits are simply how your workouts and body parts are divided each week. If I remember correctly there isn't really a split to Stronglifts since you either do the same workout every day or very similar workouts (such as squatting 3x per week). Other splits could be where you squat day one, bench day two, deadlift day three. Another is upper day one, lower day two, upper day three, lower day four. Another is push day one, pull day two, push day three, pull day four. One of the most common in bodybuilding is chest and back day one, legs day two, chest shoulders and triceps day three, legs day four, back and biceps day five.

2. Increasing your activity level will only impact your lifting negatively if you aren't getting adequate rest and nutrition. That means you will need to plan your workouts around the activities (especially since you don't want to squat after a long trail ride). You may also need to eat a bit more if you are burning more calories.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Thread, Y U No on front page?
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    chaos2k wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips! by the way can I split my cardio in to 10 mins a day? I cant't do full out 30 mins yet.....

My doctor told me 3 19 minute walks are just as good as 1 30 minute.

You will build up fast. A month ago I was barely doing 10 min. Now im up to 30 in the morning and maybe a 10 min in the evening.

I do about 70-100 minutes a day of exercise, mainly walking. I split it up to 15 min, 45 min, 15 min, and 30 min if I do a walk at night. I walk on my lunch, both breaks, and sometimes at night once the kids are in bed.

It adds up. I just walk fast a bit.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So question or many questions. I'm 5'3, currently 128lbs. I'd like to get to about 123. I've been there before and once I get there I don't really know how to tone myself. I have the baby pouch from my 8 year old that no matter how much weight I lose, it won't go away so I feel a big discouraged by that. Just gets more wrinkly and looser. So I guess once you get to your goal weight where do you go from there?