Adopt a Noob - Official MFP thread

Options

Replies

• cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and 221 pounds. I've lost quite a bit so far, but I still consider myself a noob. Totally in need of a mentor, adopt me! :)
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea as well and I am very interested in helping any Noob on their journey.

I am a 50 year old married grandfather (young one) of a 3 year old. I have lost 80+ pounds and used MFP almost exclusively. I have tried a number of things along the way and I feel like I can offer a lot of help and advice. I am not weight training kind of guy. My workouts are primarily cardio. I weigh, measure and log everything- even in maintenance. I use a pedometer and a heart rate monitor to measure calories burned. I have tried a number of Protein shakes and supplements and can give input on many of them. I am not a Beach Body Coach (not that there is anything wrong with that). I have also tried some packaged food diets such as NutriSystem, and can give some feedback on that as well.

The bottom line, the thing that has worked the best for me is MFP. Being able to log while having access to an extensive food data base is outstanding. The help from all of the fellow MFP users is also an incredible strength of MFP. I have met a lot of kind and determined people who I have learned a great deal from. If you are a Noob and think I am a match feel free to PM me.
  • binibecca
    binibecca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have dipped in and out of MFP for a while. Thanks to the brilliant help on her I have today reset my starting weight (it was lower before) so I can see my current actual progress.
    I have lost 6lb in the last 3 weeks from logging food and doing light exercise each day and reaching 10,000 steps on my fitbit each day.
    I would love some support and encouragement though to keep me going. I have a long journey and I know it will take time but I will get there eventually (I hope).

Please friend me/ adopt me.

I'm 5'2 and 206lbs
  • abrockhausen
    abrockhausen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would love a mentor. I am 35 and want to lose about 60lbs. I am working on a "slow and steady wins the race" approach.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Guys....

The mentors don't read the thread, and pick you. You pick them. Go though the thread, and find some mentors who look like they might be a good fit for you, and PM them with some info about yourself.

New members

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or do a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success. If you have questions, please PM me.
  • powergirl1969
    Options
    I am a Newbie and hope to find some friends in the 30 to 40 lbs challenge..
  • nickyorr1
    nickyorr1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you taking on anymore noobs?
  • sloth3toes
    Options

homer_doh.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    List updated.
  • GodsJewel40
    GodsJewel40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    HI My Name Is Laura And I need A Mentor !!!!!

I am trying to lose 170 lbs (average ) I need some who who has lost the weight and someone who will help me learn about running because I want to be able to run , I am going to do a 5k walk/run in September, I just got to the point I can walk 3.1 miles .........I have need of some who will be dedicated to me because I need alot of guiding as far as eating and where I am falling short.. I am dedicated to my journey in changing my life and being able to live it to the fullest ! Thank you ! If you choose to help me , Pm with your story and give me an idea of why you are willing to help me ! Because lets be honest their are alot of others that need help too
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Guys....

The mentors don't read the thread, and pick you. You pick them. Go though the thread, and find some mentors who look like they might be a good fit for you, and PM them with some info about yourself.

New members

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or do a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success. If you have questions, please PM me.

Counter argument...

For some of us (like moi) we didn't do our about me MySpace style paragraphs on why they should choose us to mentor them, simply because all that was needed was to tell Psulemon that we wanted our names down as a mentor. So I do check the thread and if anyone looks interesting, I'll add them.
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Guys....

New members

Counter argument...

For some of us (like moi) we didn't do our about me MySpace style paragraphs on why they should choose us to mentor them, simply because all that was needed was to tell Psulemon that we wanted our names down as a mentor. So I do check the thread and if anyone looks interesting, I'll add them.

Sounds good. I'm glad to hear that. I do think that the noobs should take some initiative, though. Most of the mentors ( I think ) did do the introductory paragraphs, and I do believe expect the noobs to make the first contact. Keep checking the thread... I'll keep leading potential noobs to the thread. :smile:
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I wanna adopt a noob! Cute idea!

I'm Gabby, a 21 year old from England. Aged 19 I started gaining weight- I was 12 stone 12.5 (181.5 lb) for my 5'3 height. I have come to MFP to lose the last few pounds, I may choose to lose a bit more. I find it a lot easier to count calories and focus on weight loss that way. Currently 154lb, have been on here soon to be a year. I would love to be a support to you, please send a friend request if you want me to adopt you and to be your mentor!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

homer_doh.png

Hey, don't be mean. It was just a question the poor person asked....
  • momma712
    momma712 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i feel i could really use a mentor in this i would like someone who has lost close to the amount im looking for so i feel like we have more in common if anyone is interested please message and or friend me!! thank you
  • jkmbestself
    jkmbestself Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi...shy face inserted here. I am 47 years old and recently found myself lying to my husband about my weight when he was filling out passport renewals. I am not new to dieting I have been dieting my entire life. I was looking through photos with my adult daughter the other day and came across some photos of when I was in my mid 20's and I can't believe how fit and thin I was. The irony was I was considered fat even then. If you take me on I'll scan you the photo and you'll ask me if I'm freakin nuts. So here is my dieting story. Since my youngest (17 years) ago I have gained 60 LBS +. I too am a foodie with a very exacting husband. I watch the foodnetwork for background noise, I will say celebrity chef's names like Bobby Flay, Ina Garten and Rachael Ray with hallowed awe. I love buying food, I love planning menus, right down to an accompanying cocktail. I am almost an empty nester and have been swimming at the YMCA for about a year and then I moved to LA Fitness where I added YOGA, BODY WORKS AND ABS, PILATES, AND STEP -to my repertoire. I have been on Weight Watchers on and off again for the last 2 years and the only thing I have been able to consistently loose are my monthly payments. I lost and kept off only 6 LBS. I went to a plastic surgeon to talk about a tummy tuck to fix the baby damage from 21 years ago and in my ignorance I thought the doctor would just fix that and ignore gut above it. I carry my weight all in the front, to look at the back of me you would think I am svelte. He told me that because I am obese and because I am a front carrier he can't help me and I should consider gastric by pass surgery and then see him again. I have started the process. After talking to him I went on to the gym to do my daily thing and as I am sure you can attest to gyms have friend cliques. You see the same people a few times, then say hi, then start to complain about a machine not working or a new fitness gadget. Well I walked in and a woman who uses the same locker area as me was there and I vented my frustration to her. Don't you know it she sells Meta Switch and muggings here signs up for 3 months. $$$$$$. In that month I lost 6 LBs but no more. AAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!. After coming home from getting my hair done and I really hate the hairdresser mirror, you can't hide anything in front of that. I was stewing and frustrated. My husband suggested I download an app his partner uses. I did, of course I will try anything...and I started reading the site and the options and I have married a plan where I use WW, Meta Switch and My Fitness Pal. In 6 days I have lost 2 LBS. I am going to play this game for the next month and see if the results are consistent. I am beginning to have a shift of philosophy...loosing weight is a numbers game, exercise, portion control, and calories. I believe that once I get the right mathematical equation I will be ok. I just don't want to start having to buy pre packaged foods, I want to walk into a grocery store, buy food, make informed decisions and continue on with my other passions, art, travel, family and pets. Do you think you are a good fit with me? I am not looking for perfection just loose 50 LBS and have a physically healthy and mentally fulfilling life for the next 30 years. You game?
  • CettinaMarie4586
    Options
    WOW YOU ALL ARE REALLY MOTIVATING ME WITH YOUR STORIES AND PROGRESS!
  • alioopwontonsoup
    alioopwontonsoup Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could possibly be a good mentor.

About me:
    I've been on MFP for a while now and have lost 35 lbs. I have a hard time sticking to my own advice and sometimes a week off becomes a month or a year off.
    I have helped two other people (in person) reach their goal weights through calorie reduction and exercise
    I lift, I run, and I did Insanity until I got bored
    ***I am a full time college student and work full time! If you are in a similar situation and would like advice from experience, I'm your gal!
    ******I'm not for everybody. I'm not the most supportive, but I am trying to be more supportive. I curse a lot, I flirt a lot, and I sometimes yell at fish. If you don't think you would like these qualities, please do not apply.
    I do IIFYM and I will explain that to noobs as many times as possible
    I am an expert at posting cat gifs
    I like anime and totally nerdy stuff

If you want to be my noob, please PM before you friend request me so we can be sure you can handle my specialness.

ETA: I'm willing to take 2-3 noobs on. I'll only take 3 if you're really cool.

Quoting my post because I'm still willing to take on 1 or 2 more noobs. First one is great, btw!

Your post was several months ago so just checking-- still taking noobs? =) I'll send you a more detailed message as well just in case.
  • EatwellLivehappy
    EatwellLivehappy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'd love to be a mentor.

Not sure how long I've been on MFP but I'm 19 yrs old, very conscious of my health and am currently studying Nutritional Science and Dietetics. Some MFP related fun facts:

-I'm studying Nutrition
    -I'm an athlete
    -I'm recovering from B.E.D.
    -I come from an overweight family
    -Total foodie
    -Love chocolate & peanut butter
    -Have a huge yummy garden in my backyard
    -Dream of opening an organic restaurant when I get over
    -Love meat
    -Have a lot of ACCURATE nutritional knowledge
    -Have helped friends/family lose weight in the past
    -Have helped friends/family adopt sustainable healthy lifestyle changes

I'm young but I know a lot of ACCURATE information that will help you.

Let me know if you'd like to know more about me!