Adopt a Noob - Official MFP thread

Options

Replies

• wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I would love to adopt a newbie.

I started with MFP back in 2011. Previously I'd try working out, lose 20-30 pounds and then stop seeing progress so I'd workout harder, injure myself and have to stop working out and then get so frustrated that I'd eat more junk food and gain back the weight I'd lost and then some. I finally figured out that I was eating a lot more calories and was not burning as many calories working out as I thought. So I was so happy when this app came along to make the calorie counting easier.

I initially lost 88 pounds in 18 months. Then last spring I lost my motivation for awhile and got frustrated with the whole lifestyle change. I had gained back 30 pounds by the end of the year and finally started dealing with the emotional issues that where making it difficult for me to do what I knew I needed to do.

Now I'm back on track and have entered a weight loss competition at my gym. So far it's going well, especially now that I've figured out all the technical stuff (how much to eat, what to eat, what to avoid, how to workout and what exercises work for me), it's just a matter of mind over matter so I work on my emotional health along with my physical health.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I would love to adopt a noob or two!

About me: I started last year at 320 pounds, with no confidence that this calorie counting thing would work. Guess what- it does! I lost 75 pounds this year, and I'm working on 85 more. I'm into IIFYM (don't know what that is? It's awesome, you should message me), being a fat runner (think you're too big to start C25K? You're not, you should message me), and just starting to lift heavy (intimidated by the weight room? I was too, you should...yeah, you get it).

I would love to support people who come from a similar place: a place where being really fat has been a part of your entire life, a place where you think nothing can change because nothing ever has, a place where all you see is limits. I know you feel like you'll be fat forever, but you won't be. Let's do this!!
  • danielamariaxo
    Options
    Hi! I think if you're willing to mentor a person, I would want to be that person! I don't have to lose 100 plus pounds, but about 40-50 to be in my comfort zone. I have always been a heavy person too, and I'm sick and tired of it.. I think I can trust you to help lead me in the right direction.. You seem to have accomplished a great deal. Congratulations!
  • danielamariaxo
    Options
    I would love to be adopted by someone! Haha. I've been struggling with my extra weight for several years now, and I'm truly tired of it. I come from a big-boned family, literally we're not all overweight but we have big builds, and I just want to be slim! I always start and give up, and I need someone who won't give up on me.. Need some help with planning out daily food plans, etc. Thanks :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would love to be adopted by someone! Haha. I've been struggling with my extra weight for several years now, and I'm truly tired of it. I come from a big-boned family, literally we're not all overweight but we have big builds, and I just want to be slim! I always start and give up, and I need someone who won't give up on me.. Need some help with planning out daily food plans, etc. Thanks :)

I would suggest reading people's profiles and sending a request.
  • KisaraKaiba
    KisaraKaiba Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t mind adopting someone. Last year on January 1st (2013), I weighed 195 pounds. I had already lost 22 pounds off of my record high weight of 217 (I am a 5’6’’ female). But the new year was when I chose to “get really serious” about my weight loss. My motivation was coming from the fact that was 22 going on 23 with “non-alcoholic fatty liver disease”, which is typically a middle-aged ailment. I was scared and wanted to be healthy.

I now weigh 135 pounds for a total weight loss of 82 pounds since November 2012. I will be a terrible fitness mentor! I am awful at the exercise portion of this. But when it comes to motivation and support, I think I could be of help. I’ll be 24 in February, so I think that, in particular, younger people with a lot to lose might be able to relate to me (I put on tons of weight in college). I’m also getting married this October if that is relevant to anyone. :D
  • laurashoup
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Laura. I am a mother, am going back to school after being an elementary teacher for eight years. A week ago I weighed the most I have ever weighed. 290 lbs. I have had 2 back surgeries. Two weeks ago I completed a 40 minute Zumba workout at home, at 4:00 the next morning I experienced unbelievable pain in my chest. My husband drove me to the ER. I was lucky, the Dr. Said that I had overdone it on the Zumba workout. I could not believe that I was in such horrible shape.
    I am leaving the education field because teaching, for me was a miserable situation. I will be getting a second degree in Computer Science in two years. By that time I want to have changed my self, increase my present ability, and have the confidence to land an amazing job with my new degree. I am 41 years old. I truly believe that I must present myself in a much more confident way to compete in the job market.

I would greatly appreciate your considering mentoring me. I have lost 9 lbs in a week and a half, and need someone to help me stay committed.

Thank you,

Laura
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Laura. I am a mother, am going back to school after being an elementary teacher for eight years. A week ago I weighed the most I have ever weighed. 290 lbs. I have had 2 back surgeries. Two weeks ago I completed a 40 minute Zumba workout at home, at 4:00 the next morning I experienced unbelievable pain in my chest. My husband drove me to the ER. I was lucky, the Dr. Said that I had overdone it on the Zumba workout. I could not believe that I was in such horrible shape.
    I am leaving the education field because teaching, for me was a miserable situation. I will be getting a second degree in Computer Science in two years. By that time I want to have changed my self, increase my present ability, and have the confidence to land an amazing job with my new degree. I am 41 years old. I truly believe that I must present myself in a much more confident way to compete in the job market.

I would greatly appreciate your considering mentoring me. I have lost 9 lbs in a week and a half, and need someone to help me stay committed.

Thank you,

Laura
    Hi Laura, and welcome. Have a read through the mentors listed in this thread, and try sending a PM to some of them that sound like you might have common ground; you'll find someone who will be mutually beneficial.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit late to the party, but still here.

I'm able to mentor one or two Noobs at this time.

Some stuff about me.....

I am good at losing weight.
    I suck at maintaining weight unless I am over weight and then I seem to find my caloric balance pretty well.
    I lost almost 30lbs from May 2012 to Feb 2013. I declared goal, maintained at 128-130 for a few months and then I let life and travel for work get the better of my routine. Now back up to 140 and on the wagon again.
    I love to lift heavy things.
    I just started taking a boxing class.
    I'm a shorty at 5'2", but I have close to 100lbs of lean mass so I will NEVER be 110 lbs like I was in highschool. Ain't gonna happen. NO way, NO how.
    I'm a mom to a crazy 5 year old. He keeps me laughing and shaking my head all the time.
    I don't eat 100% clean, but I do try to aim for healthy foods 80% of the time.
    I advocate finding what works for you.
    I advocate LEARNING about food and fitness so you can apply the knowledge to your own life.
    I advocate balance in eating and fitness.
    I don't trust the scale. It is a lying POS. Seriously, don't freak out about the #, SO much more to this than what that says.
    I was in the Army for 7 years...for good and bad, that experience has shaped some of my feelings toward body composition and overall fitness. I mentored many soldiers on the overweight/PT failure program while I was in.
    I have a very odd sense of humor. Dirty at times, but mostly just dorky.
    I'm just getting back into the forums after 6 months of traveling for work so I won't have many recent posts to look at.
    I love cookies and hard cider. I cut back on them when I'm trying to lose weight, but I still have them cause they are good.
    I love bacon. There is no better condiment on this earth.
    I'm known as the "Crazy Core Lady" in a small circle because I think core strength is a foundational strength for other activities. That and I know an insane number of exercises and how to make people cry in less than 7 minutes from core exercises.

Best-fit Noob qualities:

Willingness to learn.
    Someone who understands that what works for me may not be a good fit for them, but be willing to figure out what does work for them. I'm willing to help you figure things out.
    Someone who is wiling to let the process happen and not expecting to drop 20 lbs in 2 weeks.

I have a blog and some photos on my profile. I'm not where I was this time last year, but I'll be back there in a few months.
  • Fitnessaddict90
    Fitnessaddict90 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I'm a noob looking for a mentor

Stats are: 4,9 feet and 121.25 lbs
    Goal: 110.23 lbs and a lean / toned body (role-models are Nina Dobrev and Ashley Greene)

Adopt me please ^^
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I'm a noob looking for a mentor

Stats are: 4,9 feet and 121.25 lbs
    Goal: 110.23 lbs and a lean / toned body (role-models are Nina Dobrev and Ashley Greene)

Adopt me please ^^
    Hi Fitnessaddict90, and welcome. Have a read through the mentors listed in this thread, and try sending a PM to some of them that sound like you might have common ground; you'll find someone who will be mutually beneficial.
  • DavidHomeshield
    Options
    Well I am a fifty year old guy with a too young wife a 6 year old, and my first heart attack, now I am a bit lighter can run with the kids in the grass, and really want to live longer now life is more fun.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    After some consideration, I'd like to put my hand up as a mentor.

I do NOT have all the answers, I am not employed as a professional in the areas of fitness or nutrition. I will never claim to have all the answers, but I have built a pretty good understanding of these areas and am happy to share what I do know.

A little about me:
    I am in my mid 30's and was always fat as a kid (and adult) until a few years ago. What started as a promise to my newly born daughter to shed a few kilos is now a huge part of my life.
    I am not a fitness fanatic, I am not a clean eater (still cant figure out exactly what that even is).
    I believe in balance, making fat loss a part of your lifestyle - not consuming it to the detriment of everything else.
    I train in the gym and on my bike, but strongly believe in finding what you enjoy (I am still an advocate of regular resistance training though).

I have been on MFP for a while now (my current streak is 600 something days), and I have lost a decent amount of weight in this time (around 60 lbs). I have made a s**t tonne of mistakes in that time, and I'd be happy to help someone else to get where they want to be without doing the same.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I enthusiastically cosign Rayman as a mentor.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i need a mentor who is hypothyroid and has lost pounds/fat and is healthy weight range and has maintained weight as well.
  • kazzsjourney2goal
    kazzsjourney2goal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am happy to be a mentor. I once weighed 380 pounds I have since lost 156 pounds over the last 7 years. I am not a professional but I am quite nutritionally savvy and obviously have experience especially for those with 100+ pounds to lose.

I am in australia so time zones may be different but workable. My belief is eat as much as you can while still losing weight, never eating foods I dont like. I also exercise 4-6 days per week.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Hello I am willi g to mentor a noob. I have lost about60lbs? Give or take a couple pounds.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    List has been updated.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    no takers, *sniff*
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I enthusiastically cosign Rayman as a mentor.

ditto.