Adopt a Noob - Official MFP thread

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who is volunteering their time to help. Most of you who have volunteered have helped me learn a lot of the past year. All the time you took replying to posts and answering everyone's questions over and over... did help us lurkers. So I thank you for that and for this program.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Dear nooblets,

I'm full up on newbies. I want to be able to give my new friends the time and attention they deserve and are seeking by looking for mentors, so I'm calling this my limit. Thanks everyone who took the time to write to me and consider me as their adopter.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to see the results. This is a great idea!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just want to say, thank you guys so much. Sorry that this movement got derailed, I feel really bad about that because it is a really great thing for the MFP community. I really appreciate all the nice things you guys have said because you all give that to me and much more. I feel very lucky to have you all as friends, or if I am not lucky enough to have you as a friend, I look up to you very much. To any potential noobs, hopefully the one person didn't scare you off. That is all, thanks again you guys.

Don't worry, hun, the mods will clean it up.

Thread cleaned...
  • Achrya
    Options
    I just want to say, thank you guys so much. Sorry that this movement got derailed, I feel really bad about that because it is a really great thing for the MFP community. I really appreciate all the nice things you guys have said because you all give that to me and much more. I feel very lucky to have you all as friends, or if I am not lucky enough to have you as a friend, I look up to you very much. To any potential noobs, hopefully the one person didn't scare you off. That is all, thanks again you guys.

Thread cleaned...

/cheer
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Olivia has been notified of the issue, and I will be around to clean up this issue as it arises also... Carry on....
  • Achrya
    Options
    Olivia has been notified of the issue, and I will be around to clean up this issue as it arises also... Carry on....

Good luck and godspeed. You're doing good work. :smile: :heart:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Thread cleaned...

Thank you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I volunteer as well, I think this is a SWELL idea!

My name is Brandy.

I am a busy working mother of 2, but I always find time to work out because I want to be the best me I possibly can (and lets face it, everyone wants to look great). It is important to me to set a good example for my kids. I have lost 16 pounds since being on MFP, not that I ever thought I was overweight there just came a time when I wanted to be a better version of myself so I stopped eating crap, started lifting heavy stuff and started shedding inches, the pounds that came off were just an added bonus :)

By no means do I claim to have all of the answers but I am willing to provide support, motivation and give as much advice as i possibly can.

Warmest regards to all XO!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Just wanted to touch base and say I am re-open to accepting a noob. I thought I had one but it turned out we were not here for the same reasons. To reiterate, chocolate is serious business to me and if there is to be any ice cream eating please make it of the chocolate variety.

As such I have an opening for a noob so please feel free to apply with your stats as per psulemon's advice. To be clear, I am NOT joking about my ability and commitment to help you lose weight while employing every form of chocolate imaginable and fitting it into your macro's. (macro's can be researched on this site using the "search" feature.) Look forward to hearing from any serious cal counters with serious goals and with serious chocolate leanings. :flowerforyou:
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'll throw my hat into the circus ring here

My main interest are those newbies that are struggling with PCOS and have other fun things to deal with, such as exercise-induced asthma. I'm there with you on both counts. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV. However, I do offer a strong sense of understanding about some of the difficulties that our hormones can create, as well as some things that have worked for me. I'm not at goal yet, but I've learned A LOT in the past six months about what works and what doesn't. I keep things relatively PG, very rarely will you see PG-13 or worse content on my wall. I'm a gun-slinging zombie killer, so if you like shooting stuff, we'll get along great! Above all, I understand what it's like to want to give up, but failure isn't an option. If you want someone as a mentor who doesn't claim to be perfect but doesn't accept quitting, then send me a message.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Ain't that the truth ...

I am so sorry that someone is attempting to derail this thread. I hope people see your post and you're able to take on a few noobs!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Excellent, thank you mods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Ain't that the truth ...

I am so sorry that someone is attempting to derail this thread. I hope people see your post and you're able to take on a few noobs!

Back on topic.... when it comes to this thread.. there is zero leniency. And the bad people get blocked from this thread.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to take on a new person. I would probably do best with a man or woman who eventually would like to compete in bodybuilding competitions (bodybuilding, physique, fitness or figure, sorry but I don't know if I could help bikini).

My qualifications: 2010 I weighed 217 pounds. Single mom, two young boys, full time job and school. Still managed to lose enough weight and build enough mass to compete in natural bodybuilding. Currently working on my NASM certification.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    A special note to the newer members of the forums:

MFP can be more than just a site to count calories and get weight loss questions answered. By becoming an actual part of the community, I have found some amazing friends here that have truly enriched my life. I've also learn a lot from the more experienced members, including how to tell if something is a myth or possibly legitimate. A lot of squabbling goes on over the minutiae of information, but that is a very good thing and part of the process of vetting information.

By taking on a mentor, you are getting someone who not only knows a lot of information about nutrition and/or fitness, but also someone who can sort of "bring you into the fold" in the community. There is a lot of fun to be had here and many wonderful personalities. I am sure that you can find a group of people that you click with.
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just want to say thanks to the Mods for cleaning up the board. I was discouraged yesterday that a forum for new people turned in to what it did.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like hearing where everyone is coming from and in what ways they can be helpful. The clarity and honesty in that is so important for making a good and helpful match among people. And even when the mentoring match may not work, it's still very inspiring to see all these different goals that people have worked so hard towards accomplishing and the challenges that people have overcome. All great mentors in here!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to help... even though I dont post too much on the forums, I'm usually around... I can have room for 2 or 3 newbies that have a lot to lose... preferably women "of a certain age" LOL

From my profile
    About Me:
    Wife of more than 25 years, mother of 4. Working almost full time as well as being a mum has left no time for me.... up until recently. Now I'm at the gym 5-6 times a week, giving it my all! Started heavy lifting Aug 2013 and loving the way it makes me feel.

Why I want to get in shape
    I wanted to be thin at thirty, it didnt happen. I guess I didnt want it bad enough. I then wanted to be fit at forty, and again, I guess I didnt want it bad enough. Heading swiftly towards 50, and theres no way I want to be fat at 50! This time I am doing it! I dont want any health issues that could be avoided by being healthy.

I have recently upped the amount I eat, and have found it more sustainable and better still, my moods are better now I can fit in the chocolate/sweet stuff I like.
    I've still got more than 15-20lbs to go, but believe slow and steady win the race.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    chocolate is serious business to me and if there is to be any ice cream eating please make it of the chocolate variety.
    employing every form of chocolate imaginable and fitting it into your macro's
    serious chocolate leanings. :flowerforyou:

I seriously need to see your diary. :smile:

That said.... I would take on 1 ( ONE ) noob... with one criteria. Said noob must be hell-bent on juicing his / her way to perfection. Hold on people, before you get a rope.... hear me out.

I've seen a pretty good increase in juicing posts since Jan 1.... and we all know, anyone who posts... 'I'm gonna lose 100 lbs in 100 days drinking carrot juice can't be talked out of their decision. I'm very doubtful that anyone who is that stuck on juicing their way to 'health and happiness' will find their way to this thread, and my post... but should you happen to be that person, read on.

My credentials

While they aren't extensive, they are probably more than what you have.
    I juiced ( not exclusively ) my way down 30 lbs in about 4 months.
    I am now a wannabe vegan, but I do consume dairy, meat, etc... just try to eat less of it. I eat Big Macs and fries. Just not every day.
    I'm a work in progress, trying to undo some of the skinny-fatness I caused myself, by juicing :wink:
    I've written a few fairly extensive posts about my experience juicing, and post juicing.... I have my own personal views on it.

What I can do for you

First I can try to talk you out of juicing, it's my obligation.
    Then, I can help you understand why what you're doing is probably not the smartest thing to do.
    Then, I can help you survive on juice for as long as you can, or as long as you want to....
    And then, most importantly, I can help you transition to a healthy, balanced diet, without just falling off the juice-wagon with no Plan B.
    I can help you navigate the MFP jungle.

What you need to bring

A thirst for juice that is so strong, that no amount of common sense from MFP will stop you from your ridiculous quest.
    I need for you to prove to me that you've read several juice threads, and understand why this really isn't a good idea.
    You need to be willing to listen to ME.... that is, you just said you aren't gonna listen to anyone on MFP, now....
    I need you to listen to ME.
    You will be arriving with unrealistic expectations, and I will be the voice of reason... so, you will need to be malleable, like soft clay...
    Eventually, you will need to surrender your KraZy notion that juice will be your salvation.
    But, this will be after you've lost at least a few lbs, and you will understand what to do next, to continue success.

This is a serious offer, although, as I previously stated, I'd be very surprised to see anyone take me up on it.