Replies

• LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am copying the format from others, I have been entertained by their posts, and now motivated to offer some of my "expertise" as well.

I hereby volunteer my services to (2) MFP NEWBs in search of help and happiness on their weight loss / improved health journey.

My qualifications:

1. I started MFP in May 2011. I log my calories daily and will hit 1000 consecutive days logged in some time in February 2014.

2. I lost nearly 70 pounds, gained about 35 back (a lot in my leg muscles) and will now try to lose back 15-20...so I know how to lose weight, gain weight, and maintain weight.

3. I didn't have any MFP friends during my first 6-8 months, and this period was very trying for me. I'll try to give the support to you that I could have used a few years ago.

4. I don't comment on everything or give random thoughts. However, if you send me a private message, I will answer honestly. The last thing that I will be to you is an internet bully - there are already too many of them out there.

5. I am / will be currently recovering from an injury, so my activity and exercise level is not quite where it was over the past 2 1/2 years. This should give me a lot more time than usual to offer some assistance.

6. A lack of activity or logging in over 30 days will result in being "unfriended" and released back into the general population.

7. I log everything and will go well over my calorie goals from time to time - one day doesn't make you gain or lose, it's a lifestyle change. I also like to drink a decent amount - both wine and beer, and I log it, so consider yourself warned.

NEWBs wishing for help should PM (private message) me, explain goals, including height/weight/past history. Feel free to look at my profile and goals if you need to put your thoughts together. If you are chosen, you'll receive a friend request from me.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind volunteering my time as a mentor!

I've lost about 60lbs so far, 50 or so of that on MFP.
    I'm in my 20s, female, gamer, hypoglycemia, eat the rainbow. I did the fat free, sugar free, lifestyle for a while and it doesn't work for me. WHOLE FOODS all the way.
    I do cardio (running, kickboxing, hiking) and Stronglifts 5x5. PRs include 135 squat, 165 deadlift, 65lb bench press.

I'm currently working on dropping the last 10-15lbs, and have doubled down on weight loss efforts like buying a food scale, tracking water, and doing a Whole30 from January 2nd to February 2nd (specifically to help blood sugar problems).

Dedication, personal honesty and consistency are very important to me. Those traits, which I had to develop, are what got me from a size 16 to a size 8.

And two of my favorite quotes are: “Most people fail, not because of lack of desire, but, because of lack of commitment.” ~Vince Lombardi and "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Laozi

Lok'tar Ogar!
  • nimler
    nimler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be a mentor. I'm a long time runner/marathoner, generally clean eater and halfway to my goal. current log in is 30 days, but i've been a member for a few years. current goal is to get to my pre-baby weight and run faster.

I don't comment on everything orbut love the MFP community and the support. it's a mutual relationship. I will unfriend if no activity in 2 or 3 weeks. i log everything except my weekly cheat meal.

other info: i'm 35, work as a trainer for a major insurance company, I'm married with a toddler, one american bulldog. i love love love talking running and do my best to be a supportive runner friend. no judgement on pace or distance, or method of training. i watch too much TV and need to read more books.

thanks!
    Nicole
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind trying to help out a newbie.

I've been at this for nearly 3yrs now. Lost 151 in the first 18 months, gained 20-25 and re-lost it a couple of times this past yr or so while going through some stuff (death in the family, health issues with my special needs child) and on my way back down at the moment.

I lead a fitness group and run as much as I can. I consider myself the poster child for "you cannot out-exercise a bad diet". Lol

It's not in my personality to drag anyone along...you have to want this for yourself and take the steps to get yourself there. You have to suck it up and push through your excuses or it's just not gonna happen. I did this with so many excuses not to and zero support at home and so can you, if you have to. I can't do this for you, but I will walk through this with you.

I won't pick on you about your food, but if you aren't eating enough, I will say so. I don't want you to fail!

If you have more than 100lbs to lose and are truly ready to invest in yourself (because you ARE worth the hard work and dedication this will take), maybe I can help.

Trish
  • sschneider1202
    Options
    I'm up for mentoring also.

I'm 5'9" 33 years old and have fat to lose. I've lost 33 lbs and have 92 to go. With that being said, I refuse to stave myself. I eat whole foods and relatively a lot of them. My main workout comes from boxing which I love! I like to do challenges to target areas that I want to improve. For example a 30 day pushup challenge, or a 30 day plank challenge. etc.

I eat a higher number of calories (I can explain my math later when we are friends) and I use my FitBit to track my daily activity and calories burned. :) I'm big on drinking water and keeping calories/carbs/proteins/fats in balance. I'm very active on MyFitnessPal and will keep up with your activities, diet etc. If I have a craving for some type of food I will eat it, maybe just a bit of it but I won't deprive myself. If that sounds like a good fit then feel free to send me a request (and yes please include a message with your request).

I've been on here for a bit and I'll be around for even longer. :)
    -Shannon
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All, for those who are volunteering, I would suggest making your profiles public. This will help with new members a bit as they can track some of your post prior to sending a friend request.
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would accept helping out new people on MFP!

I am a nurse, I am 32, I have lost 70lbs over the last 2 years most of it on my own but have come top MFP to keep me accountable and to help get rid of the last 20lbs.
    I understand the struggles of loosing weight while working long hours and shift work.
    I want to motivate you to feel your best and look your best! This is a journey not a sprint. I am also a really bad runner, I have done 5 half marathons and handfuls of 5km and 10km runs. I am not fast, I am just about finishing with a better time than my last run!
    I currently am doing Turbo Fire daily and logging my food daily. I fall off the wagon, I eat things I shouldn't but in moderation it seems to be working for me. I don't judge only encourage!
    Please PM if you are interested, I look forward to working with you to reach your goals!!
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am interested in mentoring too.

About me: I am 38 and from Long Island, New York. I have a high activity level but I am not a runner. My Fitbit One keeps me accountable by tracking my steps, distance traveled and calories burned. I walk everywhere. I don't eat clean but I also don't eat fast food or drink soda.

Successful weight loss is comprehensive. Its based on what you eat, where you eat, how much you eat, when you eat and why you eat it. I will look at your current lifestyle and hold you accountable as you make gradual changes you can stick with. Movement is also important. Many exercises may be challenging for larger people so I will suggest movements they can do.

I do not believe in “lose weight quickly” schemes. You didn’t gain the weight overnight so you won’t lose it overnight. But if you are committed to losing the weight I am committed to helping you.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    My post was also entirely sincere, but, you know, once the balloon has popped, I'm not entirely keen on going back to the carny and getting another. At that point I just finish my cotton candy, go home, and create plans to burn the circus down.
  • farfromperfectdottv
    Options
    After posting my MFP success story on the forums, a member suggested I "adopt a noob". I thought they were playing, until I saw this thread. With that being said, I will throw my hat in the ring as well to be a mentor.

I've been on MFP for nearly 2 years. When I first joined, I weighed 461.2 pounds. In my first 18 months, I lost 235 pounds naturally- just eating better and exercising (ya know, "the good ol' fashioned way"!) I set small goals and big goals when I joined, and have worked diligently to achieve them. Amongst my goals were to run a half marathon (I've completed 7) and a marathon (I've completed 3). My next big goals include a 50K and a 50 miler this year. To say I've gone from one extreme to the next would probably be an understatement, but I love this new lifestyle so much its hard not to become addicted to taking full advantage of all life has to offer.

I am a health and physical education major in school, so when I graduate in 3 semesters I'll be able to teach P.E. or coach athletics. I am pursuing my personal trainer certification, as well, which I hope to earn by this summer. I blog online regularly about my faith-based approach to weight loss, and I have an online FB group that offers encouragement and support to those seeking a healthier lifestyle.

I know what's it like to be morbidly obese, and to be overwhelmed by a number on the scale. I know what it's like to hit rock bottom and to worry about whether or not you'll be alive to celebrate your loved ones' next birthday. I know what it's like to not fit into booths at the restaurant, the seats at the movie theater, or the seats on an airplane. I know what it's like to be out breath from just bending over to tie your shoe. I know what it's like to have to shop at a big and tall and be limited to tacky Hawaiian print polos. I know- it sucks. But, it's also possible to overcome.

I'm one of many examples how with hard work, determination, perseverance, and a little extra help from others you CAN lose the weight and do things you had once thought impossible. I can provide nutritional and fitness advice, as well as encouragement and support through nearly every situation. If you need a mentor, and I sound like your guy, feel free to send a request with a message referencing this thread :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow.

Not to mentor at this time. I'm more active in the forums and kind of a terrible friend.
    I mean I'm awesome, but not as a mentor at this time.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, thank you guys so much. Sorry that this movement got derailed, I feel really bad about that because it is a really great thing for the MFP community. I really appreciate all the nice things you guys have said because you all give that to me and much more. I feel very lucky to have you all as friends, or if I am not lucky enough to have you as a friend, I look up to you very much. To any potential noobs, hopefully the one person didn't scare you off. That is all, thanks again you guys.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, thank you guys so much. Sorry that this movement got derailed, I feel really bad about that because it is a really great thing for the MFP community. I really appreciate all the nice things you guys have said because you all give that to me and much more. I feel very lucky to have you all as friends, or if I am not lucky enough to have you as a friend, I look up to you very much. To any potential noobs, hopefully the one person didn't scare you off. That is all, thanks again you guys.

Don't worry, hun, the mods will clean it up.
  • shall1112
    Options
    I'm a noob too (I'm not even sure if I did the quotes right). I've reached out to a few veterans for mentoring and they have not accepted me. That's totally fine, I get it. My goals or situation may be different than what they are willing or able to help with. I respect that and quite frankly, I appreciate the honesty. Move on and eventually you'll figure out where you fit. At least that's what I'm hoping for myself!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    We are willing to mentor and volunteer our time. That means we can put whatever restrictions we want on it. It's ours to give. You probably get something for free and then complain that it's the wrong color.

I'm not even friends with Haley and I'm compelled to come to her defense. Your behavior is unacceptable, and that is why none of us is likely to take you on.

If you have personality conflicts with *everyone*... perhaps it's not because everyone else is a jerk.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    All silliness aside, I'd be happy to spend a few minutes a day keeping someone on a right track to health(y|ier) living.

I'm truly grateful I stumbled upon myfitnesspal. The community here has done a magnificent job of creating a welcoming environment for persons new to living a healthier life and I'd be glad to contribute to that community by helping a new member get on a right track.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Please get this thread back on topic or it will have to be locked.

The guideline in question reads:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please take some time to review the site's guidelines at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Best regards,
    Ed
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry Ed, didn't see you there =)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Please get this thread back on topic or it will have to be locked.

The guideline in question reads:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please take some time to review the site's guidelines at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Best regards,
    Ed
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

Just quoting to emphasize.

This is a great thread and has the best intention. Let's not let one person ruin it by derailing it:flowerforyou: .