Adopt a Noob - Official MFP thread

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Please get this thread back on topic or it will have to be locked.

The guideline in question reads:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please take some time to review the site's guidelines at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Best regards,
    Ed
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

Just quoting to emphasize.

This is a great thread and has the best intention. Let's not let one person ruin it by derailing it:flowerforyou: .

Agreed. Thanks, Ed.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to drop in and offer my support for Hayley and for this thread. MFP is a great community, and there are SO MANY successful people here. The fact that many of them have offered to step forward and give direct help to people who are just starting out is a great thing. I never would have made it as far as I have without all of the valuable information they've all posted on the forums this past year. Thanks to all of you! I hope this thread leads to many more success stories. :smile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Back to the original topic.....

I wonder where PU is? He would make a great mentor. :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I would take a noob or two. I am a professional working mom. I lost almost 30 lbs over 6 months and have been in maintenance for a few months. I am a daily logger. Message me!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    From my experience designing and participating in mentoring programs, it's important to remember this is a two way matching process - a mentoring relationship requires a commitment from both the mentor and mentee, and it needs to work for both of their needs.

Those looking for a mentor should consider talking to a number of the volunteers, and really discuss your needs, what you hope to achieve, the type of help you're looking for, and how you see the mentor fitting in.

To be effective, mentors need to be a good fit with the potential mentee - if it's not going to work or meet their needs, it is important they not sign up for something that won't work out. They can and should say no if it doesn't feel right, and the potential mentee should try to understand that this is really a good thing. Keep on looking.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I should be offering to be a mentor or not since I've only been at this for 9 months now. However in those 9 months I've learnt a lot. A lot about myself, the things that caused me to gain weight, how to become a better more successful and driven person and more about health, fitness and nutrition. I'm still learning - it's a lifelong process.

A bit about me. I'm a 22 year old Canadian girl. I'm small [5'1] but I still love to eat! I used to hate exercise but now I love feeling strong and like I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. I know I'll lose all this weight, it's just a matter of time (I don't have any time limits, it'll come off when it comes off, I just have to stick to my plan). This is a lifestyle to me. I'm not just here to lose weight, I'm working on becoming a better person. Happier, healthier and more positive!

If you...
    - love food then I could be your girl
    - are looking for tips/advice from someone who struggles with portion control, then I could be your girl.
    - are looking for someone who used to hate exercise and learnt how to incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle, then I could be your girl.
    - are looking for someone who constantly struggles with emotional eating and can help you with your emotional eating issues, then I could be your girl.
    - are interested in the TDEE method/want to eat as much as possible while still becoming a smaller person, I could be your girl
    - want someone who will learn along with you (this is something I'm still learning about myself)
    - are interested in more than just the number on the scale, I could be your girl

Send me a PM with some of your likes/dislikes, weight loss and fitness goals

However, if you...
    - are looking for a quick fix and want to lose at a unhealthy/unsustainable pace (over 1-2lbs/week) then I'm not your girl.
    - want to do low carb/low fat/low calories/no gluten/eat clean or any other restrictive diet (that doesn't have a medical basis) then I'm not your girl.
    - look at food as good/bad or healthy/unhealthy or want to cut your calories and see food as the enemy then I won't be a good match

Losing fat is simple, but that doesn't make it easy. Dedication, commitment and consistency are key. Everyone has good days and bad days; it's the trend over time that really matters. (That being said, I'm human and some days my mental state is better than others too).

ETA: sorry for the long post but I just want to make sure that any potential mentee and I are seeing eye to eye before we make a commitment to one another!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    From my experience designing and participating in mentoring programs, it's important to remember this is a two way matching process - a mentoring relationship requires a commitment from both the mentor and mentee, and it needs to work for both of their needs.

Those looking for a mentor should consider talking to a number of the volunteers, and really discuss your needs, what you hope to achieve, the type of help you're looking for, and how you see the mentor fitting in.

To be effective, mentors need to be a good fit with the potential mentee - if it's not going to work or meet their needs, it is important they not sign up for something that won't work out. They can and should say no if it doesn't feel right, and the potential mentee should try to understand that this is really a good thing. Keep on looking.

Very good advice imo.
  • emsainz2
    Options
    I love this because I’m shy and although I want a noob I do not want my own thread.

To any potential noobs:

My name is Hayley, and I am generally a huge provider of derp and off-color jokes to the MFP community, but a couple people suggested that I take on a noob of *my very own* so here I am. I have lost a little over 77lbs since March and have learned so much about fitness and nutrition in that time. When I first started, I was eating “clean” and under 1200 calories. Once I learned from some very knowledgeable people I saw the error of my ways and turned it around. Now I average probably about 1800 calories a day, I eat pretty much anything that sounds good, and I drink craft beer and bourbon frequently. I have gone through a lot, so there are probably many different struggles I can relate to, but in the interest of being relatively interesting I won’t name them all here. My latest struggle is dealing with the daily junk photos I receive now that I am mildly attractive and less fat than I used to be. Ok, you caught me, that’s not really a struggle at all.

This is what I have to offer:

• Dirty (read: bad) jokes.
    • Motivation.
    • I am great at being able to weigh and measure alcohol while drunk.
    • I coined the term “slore”.
    • No really, I actually did bring the above term to MFP.
    • I am in my early 20’s and I still go out and have fun (sometimes, I’m usually a hermit) and make said shenanigans fit my calorie and macro goals. I have tips on this.
    • I hike and run but I am NOT a serious lifter yet. If you have questions about lifting I am probably not your girl. I am a cardio bunny who happens to squat and hip thrust occasionally for dat…
    • If you have been fat your whole life and are not sure how to handle becoming not fat anymore, I can fully relate to this and I can help talk you down from feeling so weird and not fat all the time.
    • Lastly, for the most part I am lazy and my grammar is terrible, so I prefer people who won’t correct me and will just roll with run on sentences and random capitalization.

In all seriousness, MFP has helped me turn my life around so I would love to be able to pass that along.

*** If you are interested in being my noob please send me a PM. I will accept crazies because you are probably the only people who want me anyway. Oh and, of course, if you somehow couldn't tell from the above post, my friends list can be a very crude and offensive place so just know that going into this.

I don't recommend this person. I sent her a Friend request with a nice message and she didn't accept.
    P.S. nice try on the IP ban.
  • emsainz2
    Options
    I love this because I’m shy and although I want a noob I do not want my own thread.

To any potential noobs:

My name is Hayley, and I am generally a huge provider of derp and off-color jokes to the MFP community, but a couple people suggested that I take on a noob of *my very own* so here I am. I have lost a little over 77lbs since March and have learned so much about fitness and nutrition in that time. When I first started, I was eating “clean” and under 1200 calories. Once I learned from some very knowledgeable people I saw the error of my ways and turned it around. Now I average probably about 1800 calories a day, I eat pretty much anything that sounds good, and I drink craft beer and bourbon frequently. I have gone through a lot, so there are probably many different struggles I can relate to, but in the interest of being relatively interesting I won’t name them all here. My latest struggle is dealing with the daily junk photos I receive now that I am mildly attractive and less fat than I used to be. Ok, you caught me, that’s not really a struggle at all.

• Motivation.
    • I am in my early 20’s and I still go out and have fun (sometimes, I’m usually a hermit) and make said shenanigans fit my calorie and macro goals. I have tips on this.
    • I hike and run but I am NOT a serious lifter yet. If you have questions about lifting I am probably not your girl. I am a cardio bunny who happens to squat and hip thrust occasionally for dat…
    • If you have been fat your whole life and are not sure how to handle becoming not fat anymore, I can fully relate to this and I can help talk you down from feeling so weird and not fat all the time.
    • Lastly, for the most part I am lazy and my grammar is terrible, so I prefer people who won’t correct me and will just roll with run on sentences and random capitalization.

In all seriousness, MFP has helped me turn my life around so I would love to be able to pass that along.

*** If you are interested in being my noob please send me a PM. I will accept crazies because you are probably the only people who want me anyway. Oh and, of course, if you somehow couldn't tell from the above post, my friends list can be a very crude and offensive place so just know that going into this.

I don't recommend this person. I sent her a Friend request with a nice message and she didn't accept.
  • emsainz2
    Options

To any potential noobs:

• Motivation.

• emsainz2
    Options

To any potential noobs:

• Motivation.

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I'd like to volunteer as a mentor....

STATS:
    I'm 29. Married, and live in New Jersey. Since joinng MFP I have lost 60lbs. I love to lift, exercise, and stay active. I also knit, obsess over my favorite shows (big bang theory, once upon a time, and bones are at the top of my list), movies, and I love reading, broadway, kingdom hearts, and other various things.

Here is the post I wrote 2 days ago (january 2nd):

Hello, I'm CeCe and I've been a member of MFP for just about 2 years. Infact, New Year's Eve was both my Birthday and my 710th day of logging in:

"LilacDreamer has logged in for 710 days in a row!
    1 day ago"

In that time that I've learned a lot, and i've grown a lot. I'm not perfect, and my goals sometimes change, but one things for sure, this is a marathon, not a sprint. This journey is eternal. It's not about fad dieting, eliminating this or that, etc. It's about changing your lifestyle, for good.

Longterm Goals: I'd like to get healthy enough for my husband and I to start planning to have our first child.

Personal Achievements: One of them would be... being able to lift 60 lbs (arms). When I started I had no muscle tone and 8 lbs was "Sooo Heavy". For those that know me, they know that building muscle is not easy for me because I am limited to 35 grams of protein per day, and have been since I was born due to a medical condition. Actually, to be specific, the amino acids that most people use to build muscle are toxic to me in large quantities. So for me, this was an achievement, and one that I plan to continue building on.

In 2013 I was derailed for a number of months because our home was being invaded by mold spores. My husband had a severe allergic reaction to them, so we left and moved in to my mother in law's house for a number of months. We've been back for a little over a month and I am climbing back up the mountain and continuing my journey. If you'd like to join me, please know that i don't have all the answers, but I have a lot of them, and what I don't know, we'll find out together.

I won't set a limit as to how many "noobs" I'll add. If you're interested in being "adopted", mentored, and making a new friend that never gives up, please contact me.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    a group where these interactions (questions, answers, discussions, advice, etc.) can be carried out so that others can see them and benefit from the information...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18417-noob-adoptions-they-grow-up-so-fast
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I will volunteer as a mentor.

I've been on MFP two years. I've lost 145 pounds while recovering from a severe spinal injury. I have a stressful desk job, and I'm a stress eater. I'm a dad with kids, and they keep me busy. I'm in maintaining mode and working on increasing my strength now that the spine is mostly healed. Along the way I've learned a lot, and I like to think I'm still learning. It never stops.

My profile has a bit more about me and my routine. I write a blog occasionally. It will give you a feeling for my perspective and sense of humor: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    a group where these interactions (questions, answers, discussions, advice, etc.) can be carried out so that others can see them and benefit from the information...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18417-noob-adoptions-they-grow-up-so-fast

I joined the group. I suspect there is alot to be learned, just from lurking in there. Lurking ISN'T as twisted as creeping, is it?
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would love to mentor anyone who is ready make a lifestyle change for the better. I have been with MFP for since Sept 2012 and must say MFP is one of the best tools out there to help you be successful at losing the weight and keeping it off. I made a goal to lose 100 lbs in 1 year in Sept 2012 and met that goal just a few days short of my goal date.

Few things about me:

I am the leader of the Challenge for Life Group at my Church and have been for just over a year. Where I mentor several people who are looking to lose weight or change their eating habits for the better and to eat healthier. I am honored to encourage and support these people and am very proud of how far they have come and the changes they have made.

I want people to know that losing weight is not about a diet. It is truly a lifestyle change and commitment. Once the weight is gone you do not go back to the same old routine. You can lose weight eating what you enjoy, there are healthier ways to make things and portion control is key. Losing weight is not going to be easy and can truly be a challenge at times. But YOU are so worth it!

When I met with my dietician before I started my journey, she said It would be hard for me to lose that much weight in that time frame. I have hypothryoidism and PCOS which were two things stacked against me. But I am one who will not let my challenges defeat me. Now she uses me as an example to share with her patients, to show that it can be done. I feel so much better now that I have lost this weight and not only have I become a healthier person but my family has too as we make healthier food choices and watch what we eat. It is a win win for all involved.

Feel free to add me as I would love to encourage and support you along your journey. But you must be accountable for all that you put into your body. I do clean up my friends list monthly and will remove anyone that is not seriously committed to improving their lifestyle. Feel free to friend me I have details of all my goals along the way on my profile. I wish you the best and you can and will succeed. May you have a blessed 2014!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    okay well I've decided if anyone's bat excrement crazy enough to want me for a mentor, I'll mentor them

- 38, female and built like a shorarse brick ****house.
    - successfully maintaining a healthy body fat percentage without tracking, for well over a year now. I've been on MFP longer than it appears as I had another ID here previously
    - I have been obese in the past, mostly from being sedentary and eating too much, but not any more.
    - I tend to take a long term sustainability and line of least resistance approach to a healthy lifestyle. If you can't stick at something long term, it's not going to help you. So chill and find what you *can* stick to long term, so long as it's healthy and going to move you in the right direction towards your goals
    - I don't believe in puritanism when it comes to foods. Eat what you want, just be careful with portion control and stay within your calories (or sensible portion sizes for long term maintenance)
    - I like lifting heavy things
    - I hate running. If I have to travel a long way on foot, then I walk. Uphill and downhill are fine, carrying heavy things too, but what's the rush? I'll just walk by and enjoy the scenery.
    - I like science
    - I'm a nerd
    - I have a sense of humour
    - I dabble in freelance writing
    - I'm obsessed with palaeoanthropology, the middle palaeolithic era especially and neanderthals even more so
    - I think I probably have more than my fair share of neanderthal genes/traits (ya know, that shortarse brick ****house thing), but seeing as I like lifting heavy things and didn't want to look like a supermodel anyway, I don't see why that should be viewed as a bad thing
    - I'm British and like British things like tea, vindaloo and a bit of cricket on a Sunday afternoon
    - I used to play ice hockey, in defence, and one season got a medal for the most penalty minutes for that particular season. I didn't get into that many fights, honest guv! Actually, I'd love to play ice hockey again and plan to at the earliest opportunity
    - I may be eccentric with a weird sense of humour and inclined to bouts of parody and sarcasm, but I really care about people and try to help people when I can
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I heartily endorse Neandermagnon as a mentor! If you like nerdy and cerebral but find me obnoxious, or are put off by the fact that I'm fat and unapologetically not currently trying to get leaner, I hope you'll consider her. :drinker:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I will volunteer as a mentor.

I've been on MFP two years. I've lost 145 pounds while recovering from a severe spinal injury. I have a stressful desk job, and I'm a stress eater. I'm a dad with kids, and they keep me busy. I'm in maintaining mode and working on increasing my strength now that the spine is mostly healed. Along the way I've learned a lot, and I like to think I'm still learning. It never stops.

My profile has a bit more about me and my routine. I write a blog occasionally. It will give you a feeling for my perspective and sense of humor: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad

Just wanted to give some props.

Found that inspiring.