Your calorie sob story

Options

Replies

• OhCora
    OhCora Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This! When I first started counting a couple years ago I was shocked at how bad muffins were. I always ordered one instead of a donut thinking it was a better choice. I could have enjoyed the donut and had calories left to spare. Most muffins at Tim Hortons are well over 400 calories. Their coffee is bad too. An XL tripple cream and sugar is the typical coffee order or almost everyone I know. It has 480 calories, with 300 calories coming from the cream. I know people who drink two or more of these every day. Canada really loves their Timmies and I think it is adding more calories to our diet than most fast food places. After all, it's just a coffee. How bad can it be...

LOL it's not the coffee that's bad, it's that LOAD of cream and sugar. Medium coffee, one cream, 40 calories :-) Love my timmies.
  • bolttsm
    bolttsm Posts: 10
    Options
    Filipino spring rolls (lumpia)....so good but deadly....

The ones I had were just under 200 calories a piece....I ate 10 of them :blushing:
    Don't be embarrassed. Everyone knows that a serving size of Lumpia is 10!! I know for a fact I have consumed 30 in a 24 hour period.

I work with a lot of older Filipino women at work! they try to force feed me every time I go into work!!!! I love it but its sometimes to much for me!! I hate to say no!
  • bolttsm
    bolttsm Posts: 10
    Options
    No calorie sob story here but THE SODIUM CONTENT IN FOODS IS AMAZINGLY HIGH !!!

So went over my sodium % today and the thing is I would have been ok but I decided to have hardees this morning!!! Its a shame. oh well I drank so much water... I swear I drink a fish tank full a day...
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I log things before I consume them to prevent most of these unwanted little surprises.
    However, I bet I'd be mortified if I knew the caloric value of some of the foods I have previously consumed, where the nutrition was never made available.
    For instance, there's this DELICIOUS ice cream shop near my house that sells homemade ice cream, and offers no nutrition whatsoever to the general public. I called them after going one time, and asked if they had it available... they said yes... so I asked for it. This is when they gave me a number around 500 calories for a kid's size. I asked what flavor that was for, and apparently it was just the base, so no flavor yet! I asked if they could tell me what it would be for any flavor, so I'd have an idea. They then said they didn't feel comfortable sharing that information because they "didn't want people to know how fattening they were." Erm... is that legal? Moving on, I asked what their highest and lowest calorie flavors were, and sure enough, the Dirt flavor - what I ordered - was their highest one! How many calories, though? I may never know. Maybe it's better that way. I'm not going back, just in case! I would if I knew how many calories to allot for, but that was ridiculous.

Oh, and here's a fun fact I learned: A MINI peanut butter fudge shake from Sonic has 70 more calories than a LARGE Cookies & Cream shake from Chick-fil-A!
  • madaboutmitch
    Options
    Today! Jiffy Corn Casserole!! Yikes!!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I looked it up ahead of time, but yeah, crab cakes. Counts in MFP were around 200 calories for a 3 oz crab cake, and I have no idea what the ratio of crab meat to filler was since I got them from a restaurant. It was a bit of a sad trombone moment, but I really wanted my Maryland-style crab cakes after nearly a decade of living in the south where they cover them with breading.
  • chasethesky125
    Options
    AGH I do this all the time! But i love McDonald's "chicken" nuggets (lol we all know it's the weird chicken leftovers) and their fries. THEIR MEDIUM FRIES ARE 550 CALORIES. A good portion of their SANDWICHES aren't even 500+ calories! But i don't go that often... so I enjoy a lot :blushing:
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There's a kebap sandwich place here. A beef sandwich combo comes with fries and dipping sauce. I get water with the meal. I knew it would be high, but I was totally shocked when I checked their nutrition facts online and my meal was over 1800 calories! I used to go there about once a week... Now I just try to avoid that place!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Fifteen days after I started logging here, I had my usual dish of antipasto at one of our local family-run restaurants, then looked up the stats after we got home: 1233 calories, with 96g fat and 6624 mg sodium! *cue scream*

Fortunately, that had been lunch. Dinner was 22 oz of low-sodium V-8, followed by a workout that got me below my calorie goal for the day.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    DQ blizzards. Holy crap.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My grandma's teriyaki chicken wings. One wing was like 300 calories, and I'd usually eat 4-5 in a sitting. They're so good, but made me so sad when I figured out their calorie count.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Am surprised anyone is surprised by any of the foods they log in. Don't you guys look at the back of he nutrition packet before you guys consume it? That's what I've always done...even before I discovered MyFitnessPal. =)
  • cevalid
    cevalid Posts: 59
    Options
    Mangos :(
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been caught by the "per serving" issue before, I bought the grapefruit slices at CostCo, assuming they would be pretty safe, but that little container containers *2* servings. Right, like I would save 1/2 for tomorrow.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kirkland-signature-costco-red-grapefruit-full-cup-227g-87327059
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Chick FIl A Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing 310 calories per 2 oz packet and a whopping 32 grams of fat! The Chargrilled Chicken Cool Wrap was only 380...so my healthy lunch was 700 calories - glad I didn't get the waffle fries! :grumble:
  • donnymom
    donnymom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Filipino spring rolls (lumpia)....so good but deadly....

The ones I had were just under 200 calories a piece....I ate 10 of them :blushing:
    Don't be embarrassed. Everyone knows that a serving size of Lumpia is 10!! I know for a fact I have consumed 30 in a 24 hour period.
  • julialdr
    julialdr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Peanut M&Ms... the bag at the movies (375grams) is 1920 calories!!! My mistake for not logging until AFTER I finished the whole bag! Oops.
  • donnymom
    donnymom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yum! Now I want lumpia! 10 is the minimum.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I've given up peanut butter. I used to eat a few spoonfuls of it as a snack not realizing how many calories I was eating.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I was waiting for a table at Cheesecake Factory not long ago, and I noticed they post the calories in their cheesecakes in the glass case by the front door. Luckily I wasn't planning to eat any cheesecake, but I couldn't believe the calories per slice! Granted, the slices are huge (as is everything in that restaurant), but one slice of the plain was over 700 cals, and some of the higher ones were over 1000!!!

I got a Cheesecake Factory giftcard for Christmas...

Last year I had a Red Velvet Cheesecake. Luckily I shared it :-)