Options

Replies

• igetjunkemails
    igetjunkemails Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's a shocker.
    A wedge salad: Well over 550 calories
    FOR ICEBERG LETTUCE!
    Plus some bacon crumbles, plus some boiled egg crumbles, blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles and a sweet balsamic vinaigrette.
    It was more than the sirloin steak!

Blue cheese is absolutely, positively, without a doubt, my favorite cheese in the world.
    And brie... and goat cheese, and sharp cheddar... and.....

OUCH! It's called lettuce!!
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    honestly, salads at most restaurants, granted it's usually the dressing that adds it all up. but i remember always thinking (before i counted calories) that a salad would be a better choice than getting a burger. when i look back at the ones i used to eat i realize they contain even more calories than a big mac.. and damn id much rather have that big mac.

and like mentioned previously, food at any restaurant in general.. i remember always getting appetizers, plus dinner and sides, plus dessert etc. some place's appetizers are 1200+ calories ALONE and it just terrifies me.
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by how many calories are in candy! Im a sucker for gummy sweets like Haribo and can easily polish off a whole bag in one sitting but then found out the whole bag contains around 500 calories :noway:

so now I always measure them out
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Qdoba burrito. !000 plus calories and I can eat 1½. HOT DAMM
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Fish & chips! I knew it was bad but 1000 odd calories was ridiculous.

Also once drank a Mars milkshake thinking 'ahh, calories aren't too bad in this' then realised those calories were for 250ml and it was a 500ml bottle. Eeeep!

What's even more shocking is fish and chips is supposedly one of the healthiest take aways to have!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Also once drank a Mars milkshake thinking 'ahh, calories aren't too bad in this' then realised those calories were for 250ml and it was a 500ml bottle. Eeeep!

What's even more shocking is fish and chips is supposedly one of the healthiest take aways to have!
    :noway:

Since when?!
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Starbucks venti soy peppermint mocha no whip = 420 calories, 8g fat, 81g carbohydrates!!... And I had been drinking 2x/day for maybe a year? Yikes. That stopped immediately.

Starbucks is an entire meal.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Those mini candies for Halloween. They were like a 100 calories per candy and I was like it's not even a real candy bar! :cry:
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Since when?!

So i've heard...whether it's true is another story.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I love Panera, their Hummus & Chicken Power bowl is awesome and only 330 calories. Pei Wei on the other hand is ridiculous, not just calories, but also sodium. A couple of months ago I treated myself to a cookie from Whole Foods, looked at the calorie content, 200 calories...not too bad, right? Wrong. 200 calories per servings. One cookie, 4 servings equals 800 calories. BTW not a giant cookie, just a normal size cookie.
  • thegabbleduck
    thegabbleduck Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Chicken Katsu Curry at Wagamammas

1,103 calories per serving WITHOUT RICE
    I don't even know how to process that information, what is the sauce made of?!?!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Since when?!

So i've heard...whether it's true is another story.
    It's just that... it's fried fish and fried potatoes. I'm all in favor of fitting it into your macros for the day, but no part of that sounds remotely low-calorie to me. Maybe they just don't have good options where you live. We can do things like burrito bowls here, with beans, lean meats, grilled veggies, cheese, salsa, lettuce, etc. Of course, you can tart it up with all kinds of rice, giant tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, fatty meat, queso, etc. and make it high calorie but it doesn't have to be!
  • connnieup
    Options
    I grabbed a chicken sandwich from Dunkin Donuts one day, not even thinking it would over 500 calories. It was almost 700. :ohwell:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    trail mix! Holy cow. I ate a cup of it. 600 cals, 60 some odd carbs, 24g fat....ugh.

Not to be pedantic, but that's the point of trail mix: to eat on a trail. You burn a tremendous amount of calories hiking/backpacking, and trail mix was "created" to give quick energy/fuel for that reason. When you're on a trail for several days, you WANT as many calories as you can pack into something light and non-perishable.

Also, I want a Thai Chicken Wing like... yesterday.
  • ideang
    ideang Posts: 95
    Options
    I made this wonderful homemade cheesy bacon potato soup that I knew was bad, but it was worse then I thought. It was around 500 calories a cup.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    trail mix! Holy cow. I ate a cup of it. 600 cals, 60 some odd carbs, 24g fat....ugh.

Not to be pedantic, but that's the point of trail mix: to eat on a trail. You burn a tremendous amount of calories hiking/backpacking, and trail mix was "created" to give quick energy/fuel for that reason. When you're on a trail for several days, you WANT as many calories as you can pack into something light and non-perishable.

tumblr_lwznol3vOj1qcbjps.gif
  • drakedk02
    drakedk02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell 5 Layer Burrito
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I can't recall when I got the fun surprise of realizing how many calories certain foods had in them- I think for me was more the size of the "serving" on the nutrition label. Like 1/2 a cup of ice cream. Or 3/4 a cup of cereal-which, as I learned after purchasing a food scale, is not necessarily correct either. Weighing the food is a true eye opener too!!!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

I read you loud and clear, but it's just that, at least back in the 80's I think, there was this perception that trail mix and granola were health food (and therefore you would eat it to lose weight... eyeroll... do you even science?!). I know when I was doing low-carb five years ago (what a disaster *that* was!) I decided that this was my best vending machine option and it was sort of a gateway drug to a sugar binge that lasted *forever* and I put back on all the weight I'd lost in the past year and a half. That stuff is kryptonite to me, I can suck down so many calories in one sitting. Luckily, it wasn't one of my favorite things, so I don't miss it and give it an extremely wide berth these days!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Movie Theater Popcorn without butter. I mean a small unbuttered is 350 calories and those smalls are smaller than a bag of microwave popcorn. Then add in the salt and it's just plain scary. Plus how many people get a small, I know in my family, we'd get a large that usually got split between 2 people (maybe 3 if you had a child eating it). And you don't even realize how much of it you're eating.

I just avoid movie theater popcorn now whenever possible. And I've logged it any time I have had it since joining MFP.