I hate it, I hate it exercise. I hate it!

Options
124»

Replies

• snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You need to get the anemia under control before you take on ANY exercise program. Depending on how severe it is, you can really hurt yourself. When your iron levels are back within normal limits, then you're ready to start slow.

Most people cannot just take off running one day on a whim. You need to build up to it. If you're accustomed to power walking, do the C25K program to get into running. I've heard only great things about it.

Weight training is another option, but don't jump into a Body Pump class without learning the basics first. Keep it simple and keep it short.

If that doesn't appeal to you, there's more....yoga, pilates, water aerobics, skating, circuit training, the options are endless.

Feel better soon and good luck! :)
  • missyont
    Options
    "You will either make it happen or you will find an excuse."
  • wonkosane
    wonkosane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. It's that 'I love it' that phrase, how do you get to that point where you love it because all I've ever felt is pain, headaches, passing out a lot, loads of tiredness, people say your more energetic ha! Not for me. I exercise I'll sleep for ages. Lol.
    Like I see people running and I can see the pain on their faces and I'm like geeezzzzz is it really worth it?

I started to respond here, and then figured out it was actually a blog post. Thanks.

http://boldgoat.com/focus/2014/1/6/love
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I just started with walking, then I did short videos. I could force myself to do 20min no matter how bad I hated it. it was only 20min. as soon as I started seeing results I liked working-out a lot more lol. the results made it addictive. and before I knew it I was a gym rat and loving every minute of it!!
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Accept that you hate it, and do it anyway.

I hated exercise too. And I got really tired of people telling me to "try X or try Y; you'll find something that you like!" Um…no. I don't like anything. I don't hate X or Y…I hated exercise! Even walking--I like walking, but not walking at the pace necessary for exercise. So I started doing 'efficient' exercise. That's why I took up running. I hated it too. But I could get by with running for 30 minutes instead of walking for 45. Now--yes, I am currently trying to lose weight. But I lost 70 lbs by doing only "efficient" exercise: interval training with weights for 15 minutes or running for 30 minutes.

I will say, however, that after 5 years of making myself exercise (only at 15 or 30 minutes a pop), I did learn to like it. But yeah…it took 5 years.

So…accept that you hate it, and do it anyway.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for the endorphin rush! I love nothing more then take off on my bike for a couple hours or take the dogs on a 6-8 mile walk/jog...I feel awesome after! BUT,it took about 1 month before it started to feel good and I actually craved it,instead of OMG! I have to do this crap again!
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you! I have been consistently exercising every day for 11 months, and I keep waiting for that magic moment when I suddenly love it...that hasn't happened yet. But I do like the way my body has changed as a result, and I like earning extra calories, so I make myself do it. I started out mostly walking, but that took up too much time. I finally discovered Jillian Michael's 20 minute workouts on dvd. They incorporate a little weightlifting and a little cardio, and I get it over with quickly! No trip to the gym, no membership fees, no inclement weather to deal with. Done. My advice: Find an short exercise dvd you can deal with and do it while listening to music you like. Also, if you want to tighten your stomach while you are losing weight by eating at a deficit...I found that plank exercises were the most effective for me. Hope this helps!
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    No time to read all the replies so forgive me if I am rehashing.

I hate doing cardio too. The only thing I actual enjoy is taking bike rides and it was -27*c today so thats not happening. I lost 70 pounds with little to no cardio. Just did calorie deficit. Eventually you will want to start eating more and doing some cardio to create a larger deficit will allow you to do that and one of two things will happen. You will realize that doing some cardio is worth it because you can have a treat or you will realize the treat just is not worth it.

For now I will walk on the treadmill before and after I lift. If the mood strikes me I will up the pace for a minute then back down to walking speeds. I just browse social media while walking to keep my mind busy.

Just remember that exercising just creates a larger deficit. People say that a pound of fat is 3,500 calories. Walk on the treadmill for couple hours a week and you can lose and couple extra pounds per month.
  • DannyCassidy
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. You exercise to increase fitness and improve health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Find something you really love, I'm sure there's something out there for you. Personally, I hated exercise too until I started heavy lifting and now I love it!!

If you literally try everything and still hate it / aren't willing to do it just for the sake of getting fit, you can still lose weight without exercise. Just stick to a calorie deficit and you will lose. I wouldn't recommend this as I think some form of exercise is good for general fitness and for how you look once the weight is lost, but it's not necessary.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I need help, I don't understand how some people can go from doing no exercise to exercising all the time and love it.

I hate hate hate exercise. I have tried spinning, took me longer to recover from the extensive pain of my *kitten* hurting and not being able to sit down.

If anyone has lost weight by just walking, that would be great, I do things like the London ummm london route thing that Boris has set up so I walk 5miles or more on the weekends and walk everywhere during the week. That's all I can manage to do without feeling like fainting all the time. Oh I'm anaemic by the way so I nearly fainted in a dumbbell class and I had only be there for 10minutes.

I hate all those things too. I just walk at a normal speed (no power walking -- I hate that too). I've lost all my weight just walking outside, over 50 pounds in the last year (more than my ticker shows). Last year I decided to leave my car at home and walk to work, which was a great decision. It's not that far and makes for a peaceful, interesting way to start the day. I walk for local errands, too (the bank, the drugstore, the grocery unless I have heavy things to carry -- they are all close to my home). I also live near a national park and walk there on the weekends. The walks are interesting, I enjoy nature, and it has raised the whole quality of my life. Just walk if that's what you like. That's all I do.

(edited to say I've added a few calisthenics to improve my arms and upper body and I post what I've done in an MFP group, but those are just a tiny part of my day. I do those at home or the office, not in a gym)
  • spike766
    spike766 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be really boring, can't it? I haven't done a video for years as that was awful. I go to the gym, no more than three times a week, and I enjoy what I do. I don't do anything I don't like, so I rarely use the treadmill as I hate running. I like the cross trainer, as you can do it quite slowly and still look energetic because you're moving your arms as well. The exercise bike is hard at first, because it hurts your undercarriage until you get used to it, but even so, I only do 10 minutes - try starting with 5.

Two things motivate me: I bought a heart rate monitor, which links up to a "wristwatch", and also connects to the technogym equipment. I program in my current age and weight, and it tells me precisely how many calories I burn on each machine. I find that really motivating.

I also do some weights, which I enjoy, but this can be quite intimidating if you don't know what to do. My favourite is the leg press, as you see results in the tone of the back of your thighs quite quickly.

Have you tried the vibro plates? They are really high intensity and give very quick results. You can see this by how many calories your heart rate monitor shows.

Remember, exercise doesn't always feel good at the time, but it's the flood of endorphins you get after you stop that makes you feel good. But you DON'T have to always "go for the burn" - you can get good results from relatively little effort, as long as you target those efforts effectively. For example, I do 20 situps - my tip here is use the Swiss ball, as it removes any strain on the back of your neck, and makes it infinitely more comfortable - and 20 side bends each side (you have to put your feet against a wall, rest your hip on the swiss ball, and side cruch up) and I have really strong abs. I don't have a six pack, but my abs are strong, and that is literally all I do for my stomach.

If finances permit, and if you like saunas / hot tubs / steaming, join a gym that offers those facilities, and tell yourself that's why you are going. pack your gym kit, and you'll probably be able to force yourself to do half an hour before you have the treat.

The way I look at exercise is: find something you enjoy (most of the time, bearing in mind there will be days you really find it hard, or just can't face it at all, but don't beat yourself up), do it to a level that you find bearable, not to the point where you feel like a coronary or an asthma attack is imminent, and take it slowly.

I have a friend who I believe is addicted to exercise, and she has had joint operations and all sorts, but she can't help herself. I wouldn't like to be like that, but I do find it is the difference between keeping the weight off, and putting it straight back on.

Good luck
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Keep trying to find something that you like to do.

Walking is an awesome exercise.

I would also agree you need to get your anemia under control. Eat foods high in iron, like green leafy vegetables, and beef, a good steak is excellent, for the best absorption. Make some chili with ground beef and tomatoes, apparently the tomatoes help your body absorb the iron from the beef.

I just made stew with some beef and then loaded it with vegetables and lentils for maximum punch.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the vibro plates? They are really high intensity and give very quick results. You can see this by how many calories your heart rate monitor shows.
    HRM's aren't a reliable calorie counter for vibro plates. Any anaerobic exercise isn't accurately read by HRM's. And vibro plates aren't that effective unless combined with a decent overload resistance program. Just moving around on it with just body weight doesn't do much more than what one could do with just body weight exercises alone. Think of the old shaker belts from the 40's here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Throw on some music and dry dancing the pounds away :)