When will people understand that you can't spontaneously....

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Am I being judgemental? Blunt? mean? no..yes...no

If you say so.

Walk a mile in the shoes of another...

I don't have to...I gained weight while using Mirena...Depo and Anti depressants...I've been there. I blamed them.

Then low and behold bam...I lost weight why because I eat less and move more. As a matter of fact I have lost over 50lbs while on Mirena and Depo...so I have walked that mile then another 10...

Don't assume...
    I ate less and moved more, too. I still gained.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    ..."GAIN WEIGHT"

I hear people complaining how being on a type of birth control or a medication "MADE" them gain 30-50 pounds. and they truly believe that taking said medication caused them to somehow spontaneously gain weight, regardless of their food intake.

Explain this to me? Why do people believe things like depo vera can "cause" weight gain on its own?

the body CANNOT create fat storage out of excess calories that do not exist. If this were true, starving to death wouldn't be possible, because you could somehow create a layer of fat storage without eating the excess calories necessary to create said fat.

medications affect your mood and appetite (leading to more food, meaning more weight) the shots and pills themselves do not /cause weight gain/

just wanted to reiterate, and confirm that this is true? I'm open to hear facts about any other opinions, but I'm fairly certain you can't gain weight out of nowhere XD

Each time I went on birth control as a young woman I gained weight (5 the first time, 10 the second, 10 the 3rd). in each case it came on within 2 weeks. In each case when I came off I lost that same amount of weight within 2 weeks, I always figured it was water retention since my weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds in a month based on my cycle.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No not the usual argument of "it didn't happen to me"

The agrument is this...science proves weight gain comes from excess calories...why you have excess calories can differ...

Too much food perhaps
    Not enough movement perhaps
    Lowered BMR due to hormone imbalance etc which can come from medication perhaps..

But at the end of the day it comes down to calories in and calories out.

Right. But when "excess calories" is 1,000 calories a day due to a lowered BMR DUE TO THE MEDICATION, what are you supposed to do? Starve yourself? It makes it pretty much impossible to lose weight and REALLY difficult to not gain it.

Why starve yourself...my TDEE is 2050....if my bmr was lowered I would just move more, create muscle mass to increase it...there are always options available..even tweeking the meds under a doctors supervision.

But when you say "...makes it pretty much impossible..." you have already defeated yourself.
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with calories vs calories out whether on meds or not.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think the point that some people are missing is that there is a difference between:

1. shoving food down your gullet because you feel like it, then trying to blame your weight gain on medication, and

2. gaining weight while on a medication due to side effects that mess with your metabolism, hormones, appetite, or energy levels.

The first is a conscious decision made by the person. The second *may* involve eating more calories than you burn, but it's not a conscious choice - you are listening to your body's signals as you always have, not realizing that those signals are jacked up.

Worry about your own health and fitness journey and stop judging other people for theirs.
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ..."GAIN WEIGHT"

I hear people complaining how being on a type of birth control or a medication "MADE" them gain 30-50 pounds. and they truly believe that taking said medication caused them to somehow spontaneously gain weight, regardless of their food intake.

Explain this to me? Why do people believe things like depo vera can "cause" weight gain on its own?

the body CANNOT create fat storage out of excess calories that do not exist. If this were true, starving to death wouldn't be possible, because you could somehow create a layer of fat storage without eating the excess calories necessary to create said fat.

medications affect your mood and appetite (leading to more food, meaning more weight) the shots and pills themselves do not /cause weight gain/

just wanted to reiterate, and confirm that this is true? I'm open to hear facts about any other opinions, but I'm fairly certain you can't gain weight out of nowhere XD

I'm sure your medical degree brought you to that conclusion. Losing weight is hard enough, being slammed for reasons beyond your control makes it harder - especially from a community that is supposed to be supportive. Yes, some medications can cause weight gain. The whole point of taking meds is to alter your body chemistry in some way, which can result in any number of side effects. Be kind when you ask questions.
  • rml_16
    Options

Why starve yourself...my TDEE is 2050....if my bmr was lowered I would just move more, create muscle mass to increase it...there are always options available..even tweeking the meds under a doctors supervision.

But when you say "...makes it pretty much impossible..." you have already defeated yourself.
    Because I have other things to do?

An hour of exercise a day wasn't enough. I'm supposed to do two hours? I have a full-time job, a family, I'm trying to write a novel, I'd like to have a social life. So, please tell me, where am I supposed to fit in more exercise?

And I already addressed the "tweaking the meds." The reason I switched from the pill (which caused me no weight issues) to Mirena in the first place was that my periods on the pill were lasting two weeks and no amount of tweaking helped. Off of any hormonal BC and I had terribly heavy and very long periods. The copper IUD wasn't an option because of that.

You seem to think I'm an idiot or something. I assure you, I am not.
  • Kristaltipps
    Kristaltipps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From the Pfizer website (no longer available since they ruined so many lives)

"Side Effects of Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection include: WEIGHT GAIN, and other side effects such as irregular menstrual bleeding, amenorrhea, headache, nervousness, abdominal cramps, dizziness, weakness or fatigue, decreased sexual desire, leg cramps, nausea, vaginal discharge or irritation, breast swelling and tenderness, bloating, swelling of the hands or feet, backache, depression, insomnia, acne, pelvic pain, no hair growth or excessive hair loss, rash, hot flashes, and joint pain.

Risks of using Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection include: losing calcium from your bones, irregular menstrual bleeding, cancer, unexpected pregnancy, allergic reactions, and these other risks: increased risk of blood clots or stroke. Also, if a contraceptive method fails, there is a possibility that the fertilized egg will begin to develop outside of the uterus (ectopic pregnancy).

Unless you have been on this medication and had your life ripped apart, please do not judge.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

If you say so.

I don't have to...I gained weight while using Mirena...Depo and Anti depressants...I've been there. I blamed them.

Then low and behold bam...I lost weight why because I eat less and move more. As a matter of fact I have lost over 50lbs while on Mirena and Depo...so I have walked that mile then another 10...

Don't assume...
    I could say the same to you. You've walked in your shoes. Nothing more.

I have empathy...it would be horrible to have PCOS or a thyroid issue and have to battle even harder to get where you want to be...and I am glad I don't have to deal with it...but then I also look at those with those issues who are slim, trim and healthy...are they special snowflakes? no they just work extra hard to get where they want to be...

but at the same time I am not going to agree with people who say BC and meds made them gain weight...

That is false. Excess calories did...
  • rml_16
    Options

If you say so.

Don't assume...
    I could say the same to you. You've walked in your shoes. Nothing more.

I have empathy...it would be horrible to have PCOS or a thyroid issue and have to battle even harder to get where you want to be...and I am glad I don't have to deal with it...but then I also look at those with those issues who are slim, trim and healthy...are they special snowflakes? no they just work extra hard to get where they want to be...

but at the same time I am not going to agree with people who say BC and meds made them gain weight...

That is false. Excess calories did...
    And once again, when "excess calories" is anything over 1,000 a day, WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

An hour of exercise a day wasn't enough. I'm supposed to do two hours? I have a full-time job, a family, I'm trying to write a novel, I'd like to have a social life. So, please tell me, where am I supposed to fit in more exercise?

And I already addressed the "tweaking the meds." The reason I switched from the pill (which caused me no weight issues) to Mirena in the first place was that my periods on the pill were lasting two weeks and no amount of tweaking helped. Off of any hormonal BC and I had terribly heavy and very long periods. The copper IUD wasn't an option because of that.

And that is a choice. Your choice. As I have a full time job, family, friends I chose a different exercise. Weights which in the long run helps a lot.

I do not think you are an idiot just mis-informed and you have a defeated attitude.

As for the issues you have I have the same thing as does most of the woman in my family...I chose Depo to help mine but a cousin chose to have a procedure done that burned the lining of her uterus...she hasn't cycled in 18months....an option for you possibly.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I gained 95 pounds being on fast food. :)
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    some medications can also impact metabolic rate which means that at the same food intake at which you were maintaining, you are now gaining weight. Some medications also have a rather substantial impact on hormones and hormone imbalances often do cause metabolic issues for which, again, you can go from maintaining to gaining on the same calorie intake.

This.

This. I was tracking everything for years and I was eating between 1000-1200 cals/day per my doctors orders and between the medication and my health issues that caused me take the medication I gained 50lbs in 4 years while exercising for at least an hour 5 days per week on top of a very active life style. I will also say that prior to being put on the medication I was never over 150lbs which for my body type put me at around 20% body fat so very healthy for a girl going through puberty.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I think the point that some people are missing is that there is a difference between:

1. shoving food down your gullet because you feel like it, then trying to blame your weight gain on medication, and

2. gaining weight while on a medication due to side effects that mess with your metabolism, hormones, appetite, or energy levels.

The first is a conscious decision made by the person. The second *may* involve eating more calories than you burn, but it's not a conscious choice - you are listening to your body's signals as you always have, not realizing that those signals are jacked up.

Worry about your own health and fitness journey and stop judging other people for theirs.

I am not judging...

My point is this...read the information with the meds...talk to your doctor become informed so that you are aware of those issues...that way it is in your control because you are aware and educated.
  • rml_16
    Options

And that is a choice. Your choice. As I have a full time job, family, friends I chose a different exercise. Weights which in the long run helps a lot.

I do not think you are an idiot just mis-informed and you have a defeated attitude.

As for the issues you have I have the same thing as does most of the woman in my family...I chose Depo to help mine but a cousin chose to have a procedure done that burned the lining of her uterus...she hasn't cycled in 18months....an option for you possibly.
    Why are you assuming I never lifted weights during that time?

I'm "defeated" because nothing has worked. NOTHING.

I sitll exercise and I still watch what I eat. But I'm done obsessing over something that I clearly CAN'T control.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    And once again, when "excess calories" is anything over 1,000 a day, WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO?

To be quite frank I answered that...exercise more ...or do somethign different like lifting etc...but if you don't or feel you can't make the time and/or have the attitude of "it's impossible" then there is nothing more to be said...
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I sitll exercise and I still watch what I eat. But I'm done obsessing over something that I clearly CAN'T control.

did you read that last part of my post...??? Have you tried that...it's your body it is in your control...

*walks away from this poster as I am beating a dead horse with this defeatist attitude.*
  • rml_16
    Options

To be quite frank I answered that...exercise more ...or do somethign different like lifting etc...but if you don't or feel you can't make the time and/or have the attitude of "it's impossible" then there is nothing more to be said...
    I DID lift. You're so bent on pushing everyone into your little box that you're ignoring the facts that don't agree with your assumptions.

I lifted, I ran, I watched every bite I ate. I was working out an hour a day, every day.

Before the Mirena, losing weight was a freaking breeze for me. I melted off 30 pounds and went from a size 12 to a LOOSE size 6 in 12 weeks. I kept it off for TWO YEARS. The I switched BC and started gaining immediately despite absolutely no other changes.

I know many women on Mirena who did not have that problem. Clearly, it affects different women differently. You didn't have the problems I had, so you want to insist I didn't have them.
  • bella42182
    bella42182 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Actually, I was on Depo for a year and then got off. I did gain 30 pounds in that year, and it was not due to my food intake or my workout routine. I still worked out 3 times a week, eating the same stuff and gaining. So I bumped my workouts to 5 (sometimes 6 days) a week and included more plant based foods. NOTHING HAPPENED. I went to my doctor and he explained that Depo was a more progesterone based method and that my body (idk about every one else's) needed a more balanced hormone method (more estrogen to help counter the progesterone).

My weight finally started coming off about 4 1/2 months after my last shot and gradually over the next few months. I don't know why it affects some women like that. I tried it when it first was released. Maybe it is a bit different now? I know a lot of people "blame" many other things for weight gain without first addressing their own habits or trying to change them, but for me- Depo was a pain in the butt (especially being military with the physical sites assessments!).

So it isn't about spontaneously gaining or losing weight. It's about hormone levels (a chemical issue) being out of balance. Chemical imbalances can cause all sorts of problems. Same issue with stress, when the body is "stressed" enough it releases cortisol. Higher cortisol levels are linked to an increase in waist sizes... It's the same thing with Depo. Keep hormones regulates and then the fact of gaining or losing will be more closely dependent on personal habits (food intake and physical activity).

Katie :)
  • rml_16
    Options

did you read that last part of my post...??? Have you tried that...it's your body it is in your control...

*walks away from this poster as I am beating a dead horse with this defeatist attitude.*
    I did have that procedure. I had that and a tubal in October 2012.

I am not an idiot. I did/do my research. I know what I'm putting in my body and I know how it has affected MY BODY.