When will people understand that you can't spontaneously....

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, the procedure of having your uterus burned out means you can never carry a child. Which means, if you are not ready to close the door on having children in the future, it isn't an option.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have nexplanon in & I'm losing. I was on microgynon 30 & was losing. I was on cerazette & I was losing. I was on noriday & I was losing. it annoys me when people claim that b.c causes weight gain - it can increase your appetite but what you do about it is down to yourself.
    Congrats. That's wonderful. FOR YOU. Perhaps others react to meds differently? Why would this "annoy" you?

what a downright and blatantly ignorant thing to say. Newsflash! We are not all you so ofcourse people's bodies are going to respond differently to meds. Smh...
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I was eating to fuel breastfeeding when I got Mirena. I didn't change a thing that I had been doing. I didn't eat more or move less or discontinue breastfeeding. Up until that point I was losing weight, slowly but steadily. After Mirena, it packed back on. 35 lbs in a month. Coincidence? I think not.

Edited to add - Everything after that initial weight gain I do take responsibility for. That was my own fault, depression and overeating from hopelessness. I'm glad I got over that (4 years later, but better late than never).
  • Cjbiobaby
    Cjbiobaby Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i am in 80 percent agreeance with the original post...... i used to complain about people who keep having multiple babies, and people that cant use this or that because they THINK it makes them fat..... I was on depo and birth control for years on and off. THE ONLY reason i got FAT was because........ I DIDNT EAT RIGHT and i DIDNT exercise..... AND big runs on my dads side of the family which i take after...... genetics...... when i graduated high school 20 some years ago i was 175. i could wear spandex( shush it was in style then LOL) and tank tops and actually looked good........
    i then got a job third shift at a donut shop. loved the job, have always loved donuts... and after awhile i worked overnights with no bosses, no other employees. GUESS WHAT I DID...... yes......... there was chocolate milk and donuts for ME........ and.... within five years of working there i went from 175 to 250... HATED myself after that........ BECAUSE.......... LOOK AT WHAT I ATE....... and i wasnt in school anymore doing Gym class.... no one ever taught me the importance of diet and exercise growing up so i didnt care about it...... hence,,,,,,, im fat....... NOT because of the shot....... or pills....... they had very little to do with it.... if anything they may slow down your ability to LOSE weight. but i do not see them making you GAIN weight....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did have that procedure. I had that and a tubal in October 2012.

I am not an idiot. I did/do my research. I know what I'm putting in my body and I know how it has affected MY BODY.

Of course you do.....and your weight is all out of your control...there is nothing you can do about it.

I got that a while ago....

I have sympathy for you...it must be very hard to live life knowing that for the rest of it you will carry this excess weight no matter what you do *with the exception of a vlcd* or spending time you don't have to exercise so you don't have to have a vlcd....I would be a very angry person if that were me.

I have control issues myself and refuse to give up the control I have over my weight for anything or anyone.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Its crazy to me how some cannot fathom others meds being the reason.

I mean I was on 5 meds for two years, three of them notorious for weight gain but I didnt gain weight; I lost it. Became quite thin.

my point is even though that was my personal experience doesn't mean im going to discredit others situation.

Stop being so darn closed minded. Geez louiz lol
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    So I have been on many different types of birth control from different kinds of the pill to the depo shot to the patch to what I have now which is the Mirena.. I was on the shot for 3 years and didn't gain anything I was very active but didn't really watch what I ate I was in high school/my first year of college.. I got off that and got lazy sitting around eating fried food all the time and gain a little bit of weight... went on the patch didn't gain any more got off that to have my two kids age 6 and 4(just saying for time line) got my Mirena put in just over 4 years ago... I have extra weight on me now not due to my Mirena (cuz I was 140lbs when I had it put in 4 years ago 8 weeks after I gave birth) but to the fact that I was lazy and didn't want to eat healthy and to be honest I just didn't care cuz I was taking care of my kids and my husband.. So for a person to say I gained lots of weight do to my birth control is full of it... if you are active and eat right or even some what right then you won't gain that much.. look at all the high school girl who are are birth control do you see them gaining 20lbs in a month..
  • rml_16
    Options

I am not an idiot. I did/do my research. I know what I'm putting in my body and I know how it has affected MY BODY.

Of course you do.....and your weight is all out of your control...there is nothing you can do about it.

I have sympathy for you...it must be very hard to live life knowing that for the rest of it you will carry this excess weight no matter what you do *with the exception of a vlcd* or spending time you don't have to exercise so you don't have to have a vlcd....I would be a very angry person if that were me.

I have control issues myself and refuse to give up the control I have over my weight for anything or anyone.
    I love that you've pretty much ignored everything I've said that disputes your little theory.

It's cute. Really.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I love that you've pretty much ignored everything I've said that disputes your little theory.

It's cute. Really.

not my theory actually...it's science back by research and studies...

Yours is a personal experience backed by what? your words...until you are in a lab being monitored for intake, metabolism and it is proven without a doubt through imperical evidence from objective science I will take the actual science over the words of an angry woman who has given up.

and that is not cute btw...it's actually quite disturbing and sad to see.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    So I have been on many different types of birth control from different kinds of the pill to the depo shot to the patch to what I have now which is the Mirena.. I was on the shot for 3 years and didn't gain anything I was very active but didn't really watch what I ate I was in high school/my first year of college.. I got off that and got lazy sitting around eating fried food all the time and gain a little bit of weight... went on the patch didn't gain any more got off that to have my two kids age 6 and 4(just saying for time line) got my Mirena put in just over 4 years ago... I have extra weight on me now not due to my Mirena (cuz I was 140lbs when I had it put in 4 years ago 8 weeks after I gave birth) but to the fact that I was lazy and didn't want to eat healthy and to be honest I just didn't care cuz I was taking care of my kids and my husband.. So for a person to say I gained lots of weight do to my birth control is full of it... if you are active and eat right or even some what right then you won't gain that much.. look at all the high school girl who are are birth control do you see them gaining 20lbs in a month..

You're completely missing the point. Just because the hormones did not cause weight issues for you doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. You also didn't have any of the ACHES side effects, but they still happen to other women. Weight gain is listed as a possible side effect - they wouldn't put it on there if they didn't have evidence that it happened in some women.
  • rml_16
    Options

It's cute. Really.

not my theory actually...it's science back by research and studies...

Yours is a personal experience backed by what? your words...until you are in a lab being monitored for intake, metabolism and it is proven without a doubt through imperical evidence from objective science I will take the actual science over the words of an angry woman who has given up.

and that is not cute btw...it's actually quite disturbing and sad to see.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think the point that some people are missing is that there is a difference between:

1. shoving food down your gullet because you feel like it, then trying to blame your weight gain on medication, and

2. gaining weight while on a medication due to side effects that mess with your metabolism, hormones, appetite, or energy levels.

The first is a conscious decision made by the person. The second *may* involve eating more calories than you burn, but it's not a conscious choice - you are listening to your body's signals as you always have, not realizing that those signals are jacked up.

Worry about your own health and fitness journey and stop judging other people for theirs.
    '

This... all of this. Of COURSE it's calories in vs. calories out. But when your body is so jacked it's not metabolizing things properly WTF are you supposed to do? Exercise all day? Eat nothing? Yeah, that works...
  • rml_16
    Options
    I think the point that some people are missing is that there is a difference between:

1. shoving food down your gullet because you feel like it, then trying to blame your weight gain on medication, and

2. gaining weight while on a medication due to side effects that mess with your metabolism, hormones, appetite, or energy levels.

The first is a conscious decision made by the person. The second *may* involve eating more calories than you burn, but it's not a conscious choice - you are listening to your body's signals as you always have, not realizing that those signals are jacked up.

Worry about your own health and fitness journey and stop judging other people for theirs.
    '

This... all of this. Of COURSE it's calories in vs. calories out. But when your body is so jacked it's not metabolizing things properly WTF are you supposed to do? Exercise all day? Eat nothing? Yeah, that works...

Apparently, exercise all day is the answer. You won't be able to do anything else, but at least you'll be skinny.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I just want to know how many people in this thread are Nurses or Doctors who are talking like they fully understand the biology and science behind individual peoples body chemistry and metabolic cycles.
  • Ginger4horse
    Ginger4horse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you go on a birth control and change nothing else, you CAN gain weight. No it doesn't happen over night. But one of the effects of birth control is that it changes the hormone levels in your body. That's the whole point. That's how it becomes effective. If you start taking a medication that changes the hormone levels, one of the side effects is a change in your metabolism partly due to a change in hormone levels and, if you don't change your diet and exercise accrodingly, that makes a change in your weight. In some people, birth control pills, shots and patches actually increase their metabolism causing a weight loss if the don't change their eating and exercise habits to compensate.
    While on the pill, with no change in my diet or exercise, I began to gain weight. I didn't notice at first because it was subtle. My metabolism was slowing and i didn't even realize it. But when clothing began to get tight and I began to see changes in my body I began examining what i was eating. My family has always struggled with obesity so I have worked hard over the years to keep a tight reign on my caloric intake. So I could go back and see that nothing had changed in my regimine either caloricly or in my excercise regimine. My doctor told me that it was a common side effect and that i would have to change the routines to accomodate the new medication. When I did, the weight gain stopped. Now getting it back off again, I'm still working on that.

You are right, it doesn't happen overnight. But if you don't plan for it, it can creap up on you.

Conversely, there are drugs that make you lose weight as a side effect. There are even birth control methods that can do that.The Mirena can cause changes in either direction depending on your body chemestry. I chose it because it was the only one that had virtually zero effect on me. My friend however has the same thing and works much harder than she has ever had to in the past to keep the weight at bay. My mother and I used to share clothing. Menopause and suddenly she is skiny mini with whatever she wants on her plate and I have to pick at a lettice sprig. Everyone's body reacts differently to changes in hormones. Just ask anyone with a thyroid condition.

I know that you are only trying to say that people need to take responsibility for their own weight issue and not blame it on a medication. I know you are only trying to say that people don't go to sleep one night at 120 and wake up at 170 the next morning. And in that, you are right. We each need to be personally responsible for where we are in our lives. However, we also have to acknowledge the things that helped us get there. Pregnancy, medications, genetics, Russell Stovers, recliners, they are all part of why many of us have come here in the first place. We are trying to lose baby weight or we spent too much time relaxing and now we need to kick what we have piled on. One way or another, we put ourselves here, yes. We cannot blame someone or something else, yes. But if we don't look at our lives and see what helped us get here (Pregnancy, medications, genetics, Russell Stovers, recliners, etc) and change the things we can, we will never get where we need to go.
    And no matter what method we choose to try and get to our goal, isn't the whole point of these boards to help each other. To talk with others that are having the same isues we are. To help each other get to our goals. I know you mean well. No one wants to come off as being judgemental. I know that everyone else here means well too, myself included.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    some medications can also impact metabolic rate which means that at the same food intake at which you were maintaining, you are now gaining weight. Some medications also have a rather substantial impact on hormones and hormone imbalances often do cause metabolic issues for which, again, you can go from maintaining to gaining on the same calorie intake.
    true but it still boils down to they were eating more than their bodies needed.

and i think what the OP means is what is exactly stated in the OP: no one wakes up overnight and finds themself 30+ pounds overweight. unless of course they were in some type of coma.

most adults dont become obese without some sort of complacency/complicity in the situation

Most definitely...I was just pointing out that someone can find themselves on meds and suddenly gain weight without any substantial changes to their diet or exercise regimen. Not too many people are nutrition saavy and most people don't really know how calories and energy balance work...so they don't think, "hey...my meds are screwing with X hormone and jacking my with my metabolism a bit...guess I should try to reduce my intake to balance it out." Most people don't think that way...most people just say, "this stupid pill made me gain some weight"...which is also true.

Now, if they're piling on 10s and 10s and 10s of Lbs, in very short order there is definitely more going on than there medication. And I would also agree that if I were to start see that trend creeping up I would adjust my caloric intake or exercise or both to compensate...but again...most people aren't as obsessed with nutrition and fitness as I am.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I hear people complaining how being on a type of birth control or a medication "MADE" them gain 30-50 pounds. and they truly believe that taking said medication caused them to somehow spontaneously gain weight, regardless of their food intake.

Explain this to me? Why do people believe things like depo vera can "cause" weight gain on its own?

If some hormones can make a child grow taller, and other hormones change a boy to a man or a girl to a woman, why can't hormones make an adult grow heavier? My teenaged son eats like food is going out of style when he's in a growth spurt. Eating isn't making him grow; he's growing, which makes him eat.

Hormones such as birth control pills can and do change the way the body partitions fuel. They make the fat cells more receptive, so that they store fuel more easily and hang on to it more tightly. So you gain weight, and then either have to eat more to fuel your daily activities; or you're hungry all the time and not as energetic.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I hear people complaining how being on a type of birth control or a medication "MADE" them gain 30-50 pounds. and they truly believe that taking said medication caused them to somehow spontaneously gain weight, regardless of their food intake.

Explain this to me? Why do people believe things like depo vera can "cause" weight gain on its own?

If some hormones can make a child grow taller, and other hormones change a boy to a man or a girl to a woman, why can't hormones make an adult grow heavier? My teenaged son eats like food is going out of style when he's in a growth spurt. Eating isn't making him grow; he's growing, which makes him eat.

Hormones such as birth control pills can and do change the way the body partitions fuel. They make the fat cells more receptive, so that they store fuel more easily and hang on to it more tightly. So you gain weight, and then either have to eat more to fuel your daily activities; or you're hungry all the time and not as energetic.

that is apples and oranges...growth hormones in kids are exactly that growth...and because they are growing they need the fuel...it's just like exercise if you exercise more you need the fuel for your body...

Birth control change how our bodies "patitions fuel"..."make fat cells more receptive"...I would like to see the studies on that.
  • rml_16
    Options

that is apples and oranges...growth hormones in kids are exactly that growth...and because they are growing they need the fuel...it's just like exercise if you exercise more you need the fuel for your body...

Birth control change how our bodies "patitions fuel"..."make fat cells more receptive"...I would like to see the studies on that.
    Birth control messes with the hormones that affect pregnancy. Pregnancy requires excess fat stores.

Science, dear. Science.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Birth control messes with the hormones that affect pregnancy. Pregnancy requires excess fat stores.

Science, dear. Science.

Then why am I personally not fat with all those excess fat stores???? Or better yet why aren't all woman fat who use Birth control????

I personally have been on the pill, depo, mirneax2 now depo again...for the last 20 years. I should be hugeeeeeeeeee...

but Im not...:drinker: interesting how that works.