Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not at all. It shows that fast food doesn't make you fat. Your habits make you fat. I think it's actually kind of cool.

I'm so tired of people proclaiming that fast food is the root of all evil.

This. My husband eats fast food almost every day. By changing some of his choices (switching to diet soda, stopped super sizing fries etc), he's lost weight and his cholesterol numbers have lowered into the healthy range. His last blood work came back really good. He's another example that it is possible to eat out often and still be healthy, you just have to make good choices and stay within your calorie allotments :smile:
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    I'm not bothered, but I'm not indifferent. Although the teacher did not intend to set a bad example, I think this a bad example for any reader/viewer. While McDonald's does offer oatmeal, salad, etc., the connotation of Big Macs, fries, and hashbrowns will be primarily evoked.

Many of the above posters are entitled to their opinions, as is the original poster of this particular topic.
    I would hope that in the future the MFP community would be a little less judgmental, given the circumstances.

Nothing wrong with Big Macs, fries and hashbrowns as long as you stay within your calories and keep an eye on macros :smile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not bothered, but I'm not indifferent. Although the teacher did not intend to set a bad example, I think this a bad example for any reader/viewer. While McDonald's does offer oatmeal, salad, etc., the connotation of Big Macs, fries, and hashbrowns will be primarily evoked.

Many of the above posters are entitled to their opinions, as is the original poster of this particular topic.
    I would hope that in the future the MFP community would be a little less judgmental, given the circumstances.

I reserve the right to judge others for their actions up to and including posting a topic in the same section for the third time in as many days AND using an inflammatory title AND just generally being ridiculous.

And yet, even then, I'm less annoying than the OP judging this man's 'terrible example'.

tumblr_m5ozek5NMp1qcwic6.gif
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm worried people will browse the title and all they'll get out of it is "eat McDonalds and lose weight". People without common sense will use this to further justify their burger run. Fortunately the majority of us just shrug it off because we know how to eat.

So to answer the question it bothers me, but mostly it just makes me nauseous at the idea. I mean, couldn't he have chosen Jack in the Box or In N Out?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    See I came here thinking someone had lost an actual wight and I was terrified it was on the loose somewhere. Then I find out the OP merely can't spell. Much less concerned now.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My jimmies are only rustled because this is like the fourth thread on this matter.

I think he did a great job.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I might be offended by the article suggesting that the cholesterol reduction in his bloodwork was due to his 45 minutes of walking, and not his improved nutrition.

I'm mostly curious about his satiety on this diet. I could eat his entire day's allotment for a single meal, and I would still be hungry.
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    I'm worried people will browse the title and all they'll get out of it is "eat McDonalds and lose weight". People without common sense will use this to further justify their burger run. Fortunately the majority of us just shrug it off because we know how to eat.

So to answer the question it bothers me, but mostly it just makes me nauseous at the idea. I mean, couldn't he have chosen Jack in the Box or In N Out?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious? If serious, then of course you can still eat McDonalds and lose weight. I ate fast food 3-4 times a week while losing over 50lbs. I now eat out 3-4 times a week and I'm rocking maintenance, and my last blood test results were about as close to perfect as you can get (including no longer having a glucose number in the pre-diabetic range). But, I adjusted what I was ordering-no more regular soda, no more extra sauce, no more super sized fry, no more large shakes or orders of mozzarella sticks by myself (now I share them with hubby) etc.

If you were being sarcastic, then never-mind :laugh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    My jimmies are only rustled because this is like the fourth thread on this matter.

In for Mia's rustled jimmies.

creeper.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No. Should I be?

(I AM botheres that I accidentally typed a comma when I meant to type a period.)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

In for Mia's rustled jimmies.

:bigsmile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

No, because it goes to show that no matter what your standard is, if all you're trying to do is lose weight it just comes down to calories in vs calories out AND the decisions YOU make (as companies do not put the food in your mouth). He set nutritional standards and had his students plan his meals in a way to meet those nutritional goals.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I might be offended by the article suggesting that the cholesterol reduction in his bloodwork was due to his 45 minutes of walking, and not his improved nutrition.

I'm mostly curious about his satiety on this diet. I could eat his entire day's allotment for a single meal, and I would still be hungry.

He ate around 2000 calories (I think Mr Knight worked it out at 2100) over the course of 3 reasonably sized meals and you're worried about his satiety? Really?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    In, because I'm already in the other threads posted about this, might as well hit them all.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I think it's great. Too many people think, "I'll eat healthily and all the weight will fall off" then a month later wonder why the hell they're not losing weight and still promising themselves they'll lose weight. Does this thought pattern affect me? Yes, because it's everyone I speak to who decides to do the NYR thing and moan about it. This year, I've decided just to nod and smile because they ignored my advice for the last 600 days I've been trying to explain how MFPers do it.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious? If serious, then of course you can still eat McDonalds and lose weight. I ate fast food 3-4 times a week while losing over 50lbs. I now eat out 3-4 times a week and I'm rocking maintenance, and my last blood test results were about as close to perfect as you can get (including no longer having a glucose number in the pre-diabetic range). But, I changed what I was ordering-no more regular soda, no more extra sauce, no more large shakes or orders of mozzarella sticks by myself (now I share them with hubby) etc.

I almost always mix a little bit of sarcasm into my seriousness ;) I know people CAN eat it, heck I eat out pretty regularly myself. I was referring to those people who don't watch what they eat , don't know how to eat or who are very impressionable. Doesn't really apply to us here on MFP (mostly). I'm thinking some will use it as an excuse to bolster their unhealthy choices as opposed to learning how to make healthier choices when they go out, like you do and I do. And FYI, this is one of my few sarcasm free posts!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious? If serious, then of course you can still eat McDonalds and lose weight. I ate fast food 3-4 times a week while losing over 50lbs. I now eat out 3-4 times a week and I'm rocking maintenance, and my last blood test results were about as close to perfect as you can get (including no longer having a glucose number in the pre-diabetic range). But, I changed what I was ordering-no more regular soda, no more extra sauce, no more large shakes or orders of mozzarella sticks by myself (now I share them with hubby) etc.

I almost always mix a little bit of sarcasm into my seriousness ;) I know people CAN eat it, heck I eat out pretty regularly myself. I was referring to those people who don't watch what they eat , don't know how to eat or who are very impressionable. Doesn't really apply to us here on MFP (mostly). I'm thinking some will use it as an excuse to bolster their unhealthy choices as opposed to learning how to make healthier choices when they go out, like you do and I do. And FYI, this is one of my few sarcasm free posts!

I wouldn't worry too much about those people, there isn't a single diet you could be successful at by reading the headline only without regulating your intake.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm worried people will browse the title and all they'll get out of it is "eat McDonalds and lose weight". People without common sense will use this to further justify their burger run.

So because some people are stupid, a teacher shouldn't teach his kids about healthy choices, nutrition, and calorie counting? I sincerely hope you were joking.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    FYI... worked as a supplier to McDonalds for two years, growing all of their lettuce and other fresh vegetables used in their stores. As part of that, I was sent to their quality training school, and I can tell you that they are very conscious of the SUPER SIZE ME tag,

But that the first thing anyone in McD management will tell you is that they base their meals on solid nutritional guidelines and use healthy parameters.

They can't help that an idiot like me used to go into McD and order a Big Mac meal with a Diet Coke and then order a filet of fish on the side, with a 5 piece McNuggets and then toss on a ice cream cone or McFlurry. (that incidentally is close to 2000 calories).

The value meals were built around balancing the nutritional macros. The original Big Mac Value Meal was a Big Mac, the SMALL fries, and a 12oz (SMALL) Coke. All told about 920 calories. If that's all you eat, the nutrition is there. Fat is slightly higher than you like, but it is manageable.

My point is that McD gets a bad rap for having unhealthy food, but they shouldn't get the rap for poor food choices by the consumer. They only OFFER to super size because customers want that bigger box of fries and the larger drink.. No one forces a consumer to drink SUGAR Coke, over Diet Coke. No one forces the customer to use 6 packets of Ketchup (10 calories each), or to use the dipping sauce for nuggets.

I no longer work for them, but this teachers experiment shows that by controlling what you eat, and adding simple WALKING, you can lose weight, even if it is FAST FOOD.

The cool part is that he had his students develop the menus by researching the nutritional info and meeting healthy targets... what a skill to have in our society today.

McDonald's sells a highly addictive product (food that is high in sugar, fat, and salt) so for them to hide behind "no one forces the customer to buy it," excuse is disingenuous. McDonald's (and other fast food chains) are in the business of creating addicts pure and simple. Notice that in the story the local McDonald's provided the food to the teacher for free, it would be pretty naive to think that was done purely in the spirit of educating his students.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    See I came here thinking someone had lost an actual wight and I was terrified it was on the loose somewhere. Then I find out the OP merely can't spell. Much less concerned now.

Sorry about the typo, not much to be done about it at this point.