Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This year, I've decided just to nod and smile because they ignored my advice...

I think I am going to start doing this for some of these threads around here.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    5 Pages and nobody has mentioned this gem from the article?
    What’s more, there’s not even strong evidence that losing weight is good for you.

I mean, seriously?
  • randomtai
    Options
    FYI... worked as a supplier to McDonalds for two years, growing all of their lettuce and other fresh vegetables used in their stores. As part of that, I was sent to their quality training school, and I can tell you that they are very conscious of the SUPER SIZE ME tag,

But that the first thing anyone in McD management will tell you is that they base their meals on solid nutritional guidelines and use healthy parameters.

They can't help that an idiot like me used to go into McD and order a Big Mac meal with a Diet Coke and then order a filet of fish on the side, with a 5 piece McNuggets and then toss on a ice cream cone or McFlurry. (that incidentally is close to 2000 calories).

The value meals were built around balancing the nutritional macros. The original Big Mac Value Meal was a Big Mac, the SMALL fries, and a 12oz (SMALL) Coke. All told about 920 calories. If that's all you eat, the nutrition is there. Fat is slightly higher than you like, but it is manageable.

My point is that McD gets a bad rap for having unhealthy food, but they shouldn't get the rap for poor food choices by the consumer. They only OFFER to super size because customers want that bigger box of fries and the larger drink.. No one forces a consumer to drink SUGAR Coke, over Diet Coke. No one forces the customer to use 6 packets of Ketchup (10 calories each), or to use the dipping sauce for nuggets.

I no longer work for them, but this teachers experiment shows that by controlling what you eat, and adding simple WALKING, you can lose weight, even if it is FAST FOOD.

The cool part is that he had his students develop the menus by researching the nutritional info and meeting healthy targets... what a skill to have in our society today.

McDonald's sells a highly addictive product (food that is high in sugar, fat, and salt) so for them to hide behind "no one forces the customer to buy it," excuse is disingenuous. McDonald's (and other fast food chains) are in the business of creating addicts pure and simple. Notice that in the story the local McDonald's provided the food to the teacher for free, it would be pretty naive to think that was done purely in the spirit of educating his students.

smile-and-nod-o.gif
  • loozit4good
    loozit4good Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't think his point was to be a terrible example. He stayed within the guidelines of our own governments daily recommendations. Would I do that? No. I think the point is that it is possible to make better choices no matter where you eat. I actually takes a lot of restraint to keep within those guidelines at a fast food restaurant. Also, why does everyone always pick on McDonalds? After all, there are many chain restaurants people eat at that are horrible for you! TGIF for one! Chili's is another. So stop being so hypocritical. He is a science teacher, and I do believe he proved his point. This is a free country after all. We should not be told what we can or cannot eat. It's all about choices folks.
  • loozit4good
    loozit4good Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    great post instead of all the hysteria over this
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    FYI... worked as a supplier to McDonalds for two years, growing all of their lettuce and other fresh vegetables used in their stores. As part of that, I was sent to their quality training school, and I can tell you that they are very conscious of the SUPER SIZE ME tag,

But that the first thing anyone in McD management will tell you is that they base their meals on solid nutritional guidelines and use healthy parameters.

They can't help that an idiot like me used to go into McD and order a Big Mac meal with a Diet Coke and then order a filet of fish on the side, with a 5 piece McNuggets and then toss on a ice cream cone or McFlurry. (that incidentally is close to 2000 calories).

The value meals were built around balancing the nutritional macros. The original Big Mac Value Meal was a Big Mac, the SMALL fries, and a 12oz (SMALL) Coke. All told about 920 calories. If that's all you eat, the nutrition is there. Fat is slightly higher than you like, but it is manageable.

My point is that McD gets a bad rap for having unhealthy food, but they shouldn't get the rap for poor food choices by the consumer. They only OFFER to super size because customers want that bigger box of fries and the larger drink.. No one forces a consumer to drink SUGAR Coke, over Diet Coke. No one forces the customer to use 6 packets of Ketchup (10 calories each), or to use the dipping sauce for nuggets.

I no longer work for them, but this teachers experiment shows that by controlling what you eat, and adding simple WALKING, you can lose weight, even if it is FAST FOOD.

The cool part is that he had his students develop the menus by researching the nutritional info and meeting healthy targets... what a skill to have in our society today.

McDonald's sells a highly addictive product (food that is high in sugar, fat, and salt) so for them to hide behind "no one forces the customer to buy it," excuse is disingenuous. McDonald's (and other fast food chains) are in the business of creating addicts pure and simple. Notice that in the story the local McDonald's provided the food to the teacher for free, it would be pretty naive to think that was done purely in the spirit of educating his students.

And here we go. /tinfoil

Obviously McDonald's donated the food to help dispel the whole fast food makes you fat myth. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    5 Pages and nobody has mentioned this gem from the article?
    What’s more, there’s not even strong evidence that losing weight is good for you.

I mean, seriously?

:laugh:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I think you're confused about what addictive means.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

It means "has the gall to taste good" right? Or so MFP would have me believe.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I don't think I am but I would love for you to illuminate me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I ate McDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's or something like that nearly every day in high schoo. I enjoyed it. (I was also teeny tiny). When I got pregnant. just the smell of the smell of those places made me pukey and I couldn't set foot near them, much less eat the food.

It took years to be able to go to those restaurants and then I could only eat the chicken, never the hamburger again. And then I went vegetarian and it was easy as pie to give up eating any of that food ever, except the occassional fries if we're on the road and there's no other choice.

So maybe it's just my lack of an addictive personality, but I never had a problem NOT eating fast food even after eating it daily for years.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    bothered?
  • randomtai
    Options

Illuminate? :huh:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'm not sure this is that kind of website.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm worried people will browse the title and all they'll get out of it is "eat McDonalds and lose weight". People without common sense will use this to further justify their burger run.

So because some people are stupid, a teacher shouldn't teach his kids about healthy choices, nutrition, and calorie counting? I sincerely hope you were joking.

I sincerely hope you don't regularly take one comment and apply to a completely unrelated idea.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

No, it was good PR for McDonald's. it's called marketing and its a necessary function of a free market society.

Subway paid Jared handsomely for something not so different.

Whole Foods would do something similar if it would be profitable for them. It wouldn't be.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    HOw is this a terrible example? Isn't showing that you can make healthy choices and stick to a diet even if you are rushed for time or on a short budget a good thing?

This.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Wait....what? The last thing I want after eating McDonalds is more McDonalds....I really only crave a nap.....are you saying that McDonalds is really a couch and mattress cabal and the entire plan is to sell more comfy sofas?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Damn, I didn't realize McDonald's sold crack . . . last time I looked at the menu it was (highly processed) food.

They provided it for free because 1) they were also interested in the results (although anyone with any knowledge would know the outcome if he was limiting himself to 2000 calories per day and starting to exercise), and 2) regardless of the results it's cheap advertising . . .
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I think the point is plain and simple. The foods you choose to eat make you fat, whether it is food from McDonalds or foods you eat at any other restaurant. You choose what you eat. You choose how well you take care of your body. You could cook food at home every night and still get fat if you are making the wrong food choices or cooking foods in butter. You can't blame a food chain for your bad food choices. Plain and simple.