Calories in Bacon

Replies

• handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    forgive the auto correct
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    If you look at the label, it states the approximate weight of the slice. That's the calorie and macro content for that slice, uncooked. And I think there's a lot of wiggle room for variation, as I see differences in the meat to lard ratio.

I reserve the delicious drippings, and use to cook veggies. Omg so delish. :love:

Don't throw the bacon grease away :sad: what a waste of a perfectly good food :cry: breaks my heart
  • livedb
    livedb Posts: 45 Member
    The database shows "Homemade - Pork Lard" as 110 cals for 1 tbsp. But it's off the chart in deliciousness.

I have made the switch to Canadian bacon for now.
  • Normally I would say check the package. Also I would recommend baking the bacon in the oven. Or better yet try to cook yourself turkey bacon which is a lot lower in fat and calories. Or try Canadian bacon. I hope this helps.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Or better yet try to cook yourself turkey bacon which is a lot lower in fat and calories. Or try Canadian bacon.

NO!!!! Turkey bacon/Canadian bacon is NOT bacon!!!!!!!!!!! BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    OP....I sometimes cook with the grease as well. Kind of one of those don't waste anything things my grandma passed down to me. When I do I log the recipe and use raw bacon or log raw bacon if I use the grease to fry eggs or something (weighing it of course).

But if I don't use the grease then I log it as the package states.
    I would recommend baking the bacon in the oven.

I actually love doing this. I especially love brushing just a bit of pure maple syrup over the bacon about 5 minutes before taking it out of the oven. OMG it is heaven lol.
    Or better yet try to cook yourself turkey bacon which is a lot lower in fat and calories. Or try Canadian bacon. I hope this helps.

1. Turkey bacon tastes like crap. Bill Engvall speaks the truth in his jokes when talks about how horrible this stuff is.

2. Canadian bacon is ham...not bacon.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Who cares? It's bacon.

Ditto.

And if you burn it to a tasty, delicious crisp then all the grease is gone anyway!!! TA-DA!! (your welcome)

Edit for spelling.

My friends are smart. :heart:
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Normally I would say check the package. Also I would recommend baking the bacon in the oven. Or better yet try to cook yourself turkey bacon which is a lot lower in fat and calories. Or try Canadian bacon. I hope this helps.

Just to note...it's not THAT much lower in calories. And it's much lower in flavor. Lifestyle change = Don't give up the good stuff for a minimal calorie difference. Just sayin'.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    70 cals from fat means that there are 7.8 grams of fat and 5 grams of protein as 7.8*9+20*5 = 90 total calories. Protein may be a smidge lower if it is sweet as then there will be carbs, but the carbs and protein combined would be 20 cals, the fat would still be 70 in the case of your bacon. That said if the package does not state, assume those are the cals in raw bacon (grease included)
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Generally, if the package says something like "2 pan fried slices" they assume you fry the bacon and drain the grease.
    no wonder I am not losing weight...I cook with the grease...

Bacon grease is nice for cooking greens. Lots of flavor and not a problem as long as you stay in your macros. The added taste can also allow you to use less cooking fat overall.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    With bacon, they're not really calories. They're delicious points.

On the serious side though, see what the package says is a serving in grams. If it says serving prepare, then fry it, weigh it, log it. Otherwise, weigh it before you cook it, and log that number.

As far as calories in the actual grease for cooking purposes:
    http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/bacon-grease?portionid=30712&portionamount=1.000
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    <<< Will work for bacon, or sex.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    My pacakge also says for the pan cooked slices....so I log those and then log "bacon grease" (it's in the database) for what I use to sautee my greens in.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Kind of hijacking (and no I'm not sorry!!)

But, when cooking bacon in the oven, would it get all smoky in there when the fat heats up? I haven't tried it because I don't want to set my smoke detector off with the oven, again.. this week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Normally I would say check the package. Also I would recommend baking the bacon in the oven. Or better yet try to cook yourself turkey bacon which is a lot lower in fat and calories. Or try Canadian bacon. I hope this helps.

Ick turkey bacon...

If you are using the bacon fat to cook with it is in the food database just be careful on which one you choose.

If I cook bacon I usually drain off some of it in a jar and cook my eggs in it..nom nom...

Growing up my mom/gram would make gravy using the bacon drippings...amg so good...
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member

But, when cooking bacon in the oven, would it get all smoky in there when the fat heats up? I haven't tried it because I don't want to set my smoke detector off with the oven, again.. this week.

No, it doesn't smoke real bad. I've cooked a whole pound at a time in the oven and never have a problem with the smoke alarm going off.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member

No, it doesn't smoke real bad. I've cooked a whole pound at a time in the oven and never have a problem with the smoke alarm going off.

This. In fact the first time I tried cooking bacon in the oven I burned the crap out of it, like way past being even remotely edible, and the smoke was very minimal :laugh:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    70 cals from fat means that there are 7.8 grams of fat and 5 grams of protein as 7.8*9+20*5 = 90 total calories. Protein may be a smidge lower if it is sweet as then there will be carbs, but the carbs and protein combined would be 20 cals, the fat would still be 70 in the case of your bacon. That said if the package does not state, assume those are the cals in raw bacon (grease included)

The package says "1 piece pan fried slice"...hmmm....
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    OP, you are WAAAAAAAAAY overthinking this for a difference of 20 calories. It's bacon. It's delicious and makes everything better. It makes colors brighter, it makes puppies cuter, it makes sex better and it makes tummies happy. Just eat it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    so if I use a strip of bacon with 90 cal on the label, fry it, then cook my vegggie in the grease, how many calories should I add?

I'd say don't add any since the fat already came from the bacon?

I hope this is true...:love:

This is NOT true. If the package says "90 calories for 1 cooked slice" it is assuming some of that fat is going to be rendered off and drained. Just because some of the fat was rendered off doesn't mean all of it was...there's still fat in a slice of bacon, thus the 70 of 90 calories coming from fat...there's generally not a ton of meat in bacon.

If you use the rendered bacon grease (lard) for other cooking applications, you need to determine how much of it you use (measure it) and log it. Just look up "bacon grease" in the data base...it's about 40 calories per teaspoon.