Calories in Bacon

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    so if I use a strip of bacon with 90 cal on the label, fry it, then cook my vegggie in the grease, how many calories should I add?

I'd say don't add any since the fat already came from the bacon?

I hope this is true...:love:

This is NOT true. If the package says "90 calories for 1 cooked slice" it is assuming some of that fat is going to be rendered off and drained. Just because some of the fat was rendered off doesn't mean all of it was...there's still fat in a slice of bacon, thus the 70 of 90 calories coming from fat...there's generally not a ton of meat in bacon.

If you use the rendered bacon grease (lard) for other cooking applications, you need to determine how much of it you use (measure it) and log it. Just look up "bacon grease" in the data base...it's about 40 calories per teaspoon.

ok, thank you~
  • albayin
    OP, you are WAAAAAAAAAY overthinking this for a difference of 20 calories. It's bacon. It's delicious and makes everything better. It makes colors brighter, it makes puppies cuter, it makes sex better and it makes tummies happy. Just eat it.

I like bacon grease because it makes greens taste like heaven. :) I don't want to overthink but given I haven't been able to lose weight, after reading numerous threads I decided to take a closer look at my caloric intake to see where it got disconnected. I cook with bacon grease all the time so it may be a big deal(breaker). :cry:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Yes, they are not assuming you are drinking the grease but if you do it may get things moving for you haha

If I drank straight grease, things would be moving upward. Very quickly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    If I eat it with eggs, I cook the bacon first, then fry the eggs in the bacon grease. MMMMMM

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • albayin
    If I eat it with eggs, I cook the bacon first, then fry the eggs in the bacon grease. MMMMMM

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

that's exactly how I do but my question is how to log calories...:) how do you log it if you ever do?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    OP, you are WAAAAAAAAAY overthinking this for a difference of 20 calories. It's bacon. It's delicious and makes everything better. It makes colors brighter, it makes puppies cuter, it makes sex better and it makes tummies happy. Just eat it.

I like bacon grease because it makes greens taste like heaven. :) I don't want to overthink but given I haven't been able to lose weight, after reading numerous threads I decided to take a closer look at my caloric intake to see where it got disconnected. I cook with bacon grease all the time so it may be a big deal(breaker). :cry:

I regularly cook with oils, butter, bacon grease, etc...you just have to account for it...all of that stuff has calories, and yes...you have to count your rendered bacon grease on top of your actual bacon; they are separate things. It doesn't mean you can't use it for cooking...fat = flavor and you need dietary fat...you just have to account for it properly.
  • albayin

I regularly cook with oils, butter, bacon grease, etc...you just have to account for it...all of that stuff has calories, and yes...you have to count your rendered bacon grease on top of your actual bacon; they are separate things. It doesn't mean you can't use it for cooking...fat = flavor and you need dietary fat...you just have to account for it properly.

I know that and that's why I asked this question. I have no problem of counting coconut oil or olive oil but bacon with grease confuses me. :)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Love all bacon. Even turkey bacon. Here is what I do. I don't use the grease, in fact, I soak up as much of it as I can. Not a greasy bacon lover. Then, I use the calorie count for the COOKED BACON label:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 slices (14 g)
    Per Serving % Daily Value*

Calories 70

Calories from Fat 45

Total Fat 5.0g 8%

Saturated Fat 2.0g 10%

Cholesterol 20mg 7%

Sodium 290mg 12%

Carbohydrates 0.0g 0%

Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%

Sugars 0.0g

Protein 5.0g

Whatever you choose, enjoy your BACON. I like mine with peanut butter.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I am always confused with this, for example.
    1 piece fried bacon
    total cal 90
    fat cal 70

90 cal with or without grease?

If this is the label it means that it has 90 calories, 70 of which are from fat.
  • albayin
    Now come to it, I think I love the bacon grease more than bacon itself. :)
  • wrk2hrd
    wrk2hrd Posts: 28
    all bacon calories are great calories
  • albayin
    1 piece fried bacon
    total cal 90
    fat cal 70

If this is the label it means that it has 90 calories, 70 of which are from fat.

yes its on the label but I just don't know how I should log the grease that comes out of the fat. I use that part to cook
  • albayin
    all bacon calories are great calories

I know right?
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Cook the bacon, take it out of the pan. That's what the calorie count for the bacon is. All the grease in the pan is not accounted for. Sorry.:( I pour my grease into a jar and keep it. I measure it out to cook as well. Bacon grease is in the database. Count it separately.
  • albayin
    Cook the bacon, take it out of the pan. That's what the calorie count for the bacon is. All the grease in the pan is not accounted for. Sorry.:( I pour my grease into a jar and keep it. I measure it out to cook as well. Bacon grease is in the database. Count it separately.

This sounds logical...I think I should try it out to see if it makes difference. thank you~
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    The database shows "Homemade - Pork Lard" as 110 cals for 1 tbsp. But it's off the chart in deliciousness.

I have made the switch to Canadian bacon for now.
    You have made the switch to "not bacon"! :laugh:
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    I had 2 bacon bagels today with 2 slices of smoked back bacon on eat, bacon alone came to nearly 500 calories, but boy is it worth it for so little food.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    I always go by the USDA calorie count of 42 calories per piece of pan fried bacon. If I am using the extra bacon grease for anything else, I log it separately ;) Packages vary depending on how much grease is rendered off the bacon. Here in Canada, they don't even subtract the cooked fat off their calorie count so it seems much worse than it is.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    1 piece fried bacon
    total cal 90
    fat cal 70

yes its on the label but I just don't know how I should log the grease that comes out of the fat. I use that part to cook
    Why log it any differently than you would any other cooking oil? Are you thinking when you log the bacon itself you've got the pan fat covered? I'm not sure about that, unless you log a raw calorie amount.

I know we don't actually consume all of the oil in the pan but if you cook greens in say 2T. bacon grease and there is roughly half of it left in the pan/dish after you've eaten, I'd log 1T. of bacon grease with my greens.

If you're using a lot of bacon grease in cooking and not logging it at all, I do think it could slow your weight loss considerably.

I only bake bacon, a pound at a time. It doesn't smoke, even the occasional times I burn it, like someone else said. The house smells like bacon for hours after, though. I toss the grease. My dogs, kids and I don't need more meat fat in our diets.
  • albayin
    1 piece fried bacon
    total cal 90
    fat cal 70

Why log it any differently than you would any other cooking oil? Are you thinking when you log the bacon itself you've got the pan fat covered? I'm not sure about that, unless you log a raw calorie amount.

I know we don't actually consume all of the oil in the pan but if you cook greens in say 2T. bacon grease and there is roughly half of it left in the pan/dish after you've eaten, I'd log 1T. of bacon grease with my greens.

If you're using a lot of bacon grease in cooking and not logging it at all, I do think it could slow your weight loss considerably.

I only bake bacon, a pound at a time. It doesn't smoke, even the occasional times I burn it, like someone else said. The house smells like bacon for hours after, though. I toss the grease. My dogs, kids and I don't need more meat fat in our diets.

this is why I started this thread. Oils alone are very clear. you use a tbsp, it's 120 cal. however, bacon has grease and meat all together and the packaging note didnt help to clarify at least not to me...I may sound very dumb in this case, but I am sincerely confused. :)