If a carbohydrate isn't fiber or sugar...

Options
What is it?

Sometimes I add a food or drink and it shows (example) 30 grams of carbs but 0 g fiber and only 12 grams sugar. Where did the other 18 grams go?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Usually starch. Sometimes sugar alcohols if it's a sugar free product. There's a few other miscellaneous types of carbohydrate but mostly they're starches.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Well, sugar is defined as 'sucrose' which has a different molecular structure than other carbs.

Here is what I got when I Googled:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not going to trust Wikipedia. I'll just ask the homeless guy under the bridge. Thanks anyway.

Is there a scientific paper that shows carb consumption increases rudeness? Geez. Someone spent time writing back and offered a perfectly good answer and that's how you reply? :grumble:

Sugar is a carbohydrate. Fiber is a carbohydrate. You see them listed on food labels because of regulations, laws, etc. You don't see other carbohydrates listed, like starch, because again, the food manufacturer is not required to do so by regulations, laws, etc. Thus the discrepancy between sugar plus fiber grams and carbohydrate grams.

Now go ahead and ask that old guy under the bridge if he agrees.
  • duffypratt
    Options
    Sugars are simple carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates, like you get from grains and most veggies, are not included in the sugar count. Most sugars end with "-ose" in the chemical name. Glucose, fructose, sucrose, lactose, etc...
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not going to trust Wikipedia. I'll just ask the homeless guy under the bridge. Thanks anyway.

Is there a scientific paper that shows carb consumption increases rudeness? Geez. Someone spent time writing back and offered a perfectly good answer and that's how you reply? :grumble:

Sugar is a carbohydrate. Fiber is a carbohydrate. You see them listed on food labels because of regulations, laws, etc. You don't see other carbohydrates listed, like starch, because again, the food manufacturer is not required to do so by regulations, laws, etc. Thus the discrepancy between sugar plus fiber grams and carbohydrate grams.

Wikipedia is not a perfectly good answer unless the question is "Would you please give me a mountain of possibly false information?"
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    While I agree, some wiki articles should be taken with a grain of salt - I don't see it being any less reliable than the majority of information outlets....including this very message board.

Also the wiki article includes about 29 references to fun stuff like scientific studies etc... Often a wiki article is a great jumping off point for people to start their own research.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    While I agree, some wiki articles should be taken with a grain of salt - I don't see it being any less reliable than the majority of information outlets....including this very message board.

Also the wiki article includes about 29 references to fun stuff like scientific studies etc... Often a wiki article is a great jumping off point for people to start their own research.

I have been burned by that site way too many times to go back.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Here you go, OP:

http://bit.ly/I4nFDi

:flowerforyou:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Here you go, OP:

:flowerforyou:

I don't know why you even bothered helping someone with an attitude like that. I won't be.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

But you started a thread on something you could have easily googled and found an answer. And then you criticize someone who took the time to do said google search and give you an answer. Nice attitude.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I realize there can be issues with the information on Wikipedia but sometimes I know the answer and am looking for a link to sum it up easier than I could, I confirm the information on Wiki is correct and use it.

But if you really prefer not to have a wiki link, it is possible to say that without being such an *** to someone who is trying to help.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OP I'm not sure what your deal is, you ask a question, someone writes you an answer, an you spit in their face about it. You could have easily just not responded if you didn't like it. Seems aggressively rude.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Wikipedia is not a perfectly good answer unless the question is "Would you please give me a mountain of possibly false information?"

Do you understand how an encyclopedia works? It's an article based on primary sources. For Wikipedia, you simply scroll to the bottom of the page to find the primary sources. It's actually a great starting point when you are clueless about a subject.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

You could have typed your same question into google and found a response more to your liking rather than typing it here and being nasty to people who did for you what you couldn't be bothered to do for yourself.

But then we wouldn't have this entertaining thread.

So thanks, OP.

And good luck on all your fitness and health goals :flowerforyou:

Perhaps someone can do that for you too and you can get mad at them when you don't get the results you wanted.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

How is asking random strangers on the internet better? I agree with the other poster. Someone took the time to reply and you were rude.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Wikipedia is a fantastic source of information, some of which is undoubtedly unreliable. However, learning to use it effectively (ie using it as a springboard for your own research) is a very useful thing. Asking strangers on internet forums is not really much different from asking the homeless guy under the bridge.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

And you think the answers you get on this forum by asking are going to be any different? Wikipedia = a data source that can be edited by anyone who cares to add his or her own opinion. This forum = a data source that can include a multitide of individual opinions. How is asking for opinions here any different than using Wikipedia? A lot of the data contained there is very good, with sources to back it up, and a lot of the data contained here is very good, offered by people who want to help you by sharing their knowledge. Being snotty to the people who do try to help you probably isn't going to get you much more help in the future.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Op, I know exactly how you feel. Here are some other sources of info. Some are web links and others are titles of books and articles to google. Hope they help, and good luck on your journey!

* Western Kentucky University (May 29, 2013). "WKU BIO 113 Carbohydrates" . wku.edu.
    * Eldra Pearl Solomon, Linda R. Berg, Diana W. Martin; Cengage Learning (2004). Biology . google.books.com. p. 52. ISBN 978-0534278281.
    * National Institute of Standards and Technology (2011). "Material Measurement Library D-erythro-Pentose, 2-deoxy-" . nist.gov.
    * Long Island University (May 29, 2013). "The Chemistry of Carbohydrates" . brooklyn.liu.edu.
    * Purdue University (May 29, 2013). "Carbohydrates: The Monosaccharides" . purdue.edu.
    * Flitsch, Sabine L.; Ulijn, Rein V (2003). "Sugars tied to the spot". Nature 421 (6920): 219–20. doi:10.1038/421219a . PMID 12529622 .
    * Maton, Anthea; Jean Hopkins, Charles William McLaughlin, Susan Johnson, Maryanna Quon Warner, David LaHart, Jill D. Wright (1993). Human Biology and Health. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA: Prentice Hall. pp. 52–59. ISBN 0-13-981176-1.
    * John Merle Coulter, Charler Reid Barnes, Henry Chandler Cowles (1930), A Textbook of Botany for Colleges and Universities "
    * Carl A. Burtis, Edward R. Ashwood, Norbert W. Tietz (2000), Tietz fundamentals of clinical chemistry
    * Matthews, C. E.; K. E. Van Holde; K. G. Ahern (1999) Biochemistry. 3rd edition. Benjamin Cummings. ISBN 0-8053-3066-6
    * Campbell, Neil A.; Brad Williamson; Robin J. Heyden (2006). Biology: Exploring Life . Boston, Massachusetts: Pearson Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-250882-6.
    * Pigman, Ward; Horton, D. (1972). "Chapter 1: Stereochemistry of the Monosaccharides". In Pigman and Horton. The Carbohydrates: Chemistry and Biochemistry Vol 1A (2nd ed.). San Diego: Academic Press. pp. 1–67.
    * Pigman, Ward; Anet, E.F.L.J. (1972). "Chapter 4: Mutarotations and Actions of Acids and Bases". In Pigman and Horton. The Carbohydrates: Chemistry and Biochemistry Vol 1A (2nd ed.). San Diego: Academic Press. pp. 165–194.
    * http://www.fao.org/docrep/006/y5022e/y5022e04.htm
    * http://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/How we help/catalogue/carb-reference-list-0511.pdf
    * a b Westman, EC (2002). "Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition?". The American journal of clinical nutrition 75 (5): 951–3; author reply 953–4. PMID 11976176 .
    * Park, Y; Subar, AF; Hollenbeck, A; Schatzkin, A (2011). "Dietary fiber intake and mortality in the NIH-AARP diet and health study" . Archives of internal medicine 171 (12): 1061–8. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2011.18 . PMC 3513325 . PMID 21321288 .
    * http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.full.pdf+html
    * http://www.jneurosci.org/content/23/13/5928.full
    * http://www.nature.com/jcbfm/journal/v33/n2/abs/jcbfm2012151a.html
    * MedBio.info > Integration of Metabolism Professor em. Robert S. Horn, Oslo, Norway. Retrieved on May 1, 2010. [1]
    * Pichon, L; Huneau, JF; Fromentin, G; Tomé, D (2006). "A high-protein, high-fat, carbohydrate-free diet reduces energy intake, hepatic lipogenesis, and adiposity in rats". The Journal of nutrition 136 (5): 1256–60. PMID 16614413 .
    * Tighe, P; Duthie, G; Vaughan, N; Brittenden, J; Simpson, WG; Duthie, S; Mutch, W; Wahle, K; Horgan, G; Thies, F. (2010). "Effect of increased consumption of whole-grain foods on blood pressure and other cardiovascular risk markers in healthy middle-aged persons: a randomized, controlled trial". The American journal of clinical nutrition 92 (4): 733–40. doi:10.3945/ajcn.2010.29417 . PMID 20685951 .
    * Food and Nutrition Board (2002/2005). Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids . Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press. Page 769 . ISBN 0-309-08537-3.
    * Joint WHO/FAO expert consultation (2003). [2] (PDF). Geneva: World Health Organization. pp. 55–56. ISBN 92-4-120916-X.
    * Joint WHO/FAO expert consultation (1998), Carbohydrates in human nutrition, chapter 1 . ISBN 92-5-104114-8.
    * a b "Carbohydrates" . The Nutrition Source. Harvard School of Public Health. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
    * Jenkins, David; Alexandra L. Jenkins, Thomas M.S. Woleve, Lilian H. Thompson and A. Venkat Rao (February 1986). "Simple and Complex Carbohydrates". Nutrition Reviews 44 (2).
    * DHHS and USDA, Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options

You could have typed your same question into google and found a response more to your liking rather than typing it here and being nasty to people who did for you what you couldn't be bothered to do for yourself.

But then we wouldn't have this entertaining thread.

So thanks, OP.

And good luck on all your fitness and health goals :flowerforyou:

Perhaps someone can do that for you too and you can get mad at them when you don't get the results you wanted.
    I'm glad I have a water proof cover on my phone cuz it's covered in coffee now! Thanks for the giggle.:flowerforyou:
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

QUICK ERR'BODY!!!!!! HELP HER NOW BUT ONLY WITH METHODS SHE APPROVES OF!!!