If a carbohydrate isn't fiber or sugar...

Options

Replies

• Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    As the homeless guy under the bridge, I am offended by this thread.

REPORTED!
    and someone assumed you are old...really.
  • kathrinnbauer
    kathrinnbauer Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not going to trust Wikipedia. I'll just ask the homeless guy under the bridge. Thanks anyway.

Is there a scientific paper that shows carb consumption increases rudeness? Geez. Someone spent time writing back and offered a perfectly good answer and that's how you reply? :grumble:

Sugar is a carbohydrate. Fiber is a carbohydrate. You see them listed on food labels because of regulations, laws, etc. You don't see other carbohydrates listed, like starch, because again, the food manufacturer is not required to do so by regulations, laws, etc. Thus the discrepancy between sugar plus fiber grams and carbohydrate grams.

Now go ahead and ask that old guy under the bridge if he agrees.

Wikipedia is not a perfectly good answer unless the question is "Would you please give me a mountain of possibly false information?"

Yeah, I totally agree: Better ask random strangers on some forum. Sounds like a reasonable thing to do
  • kathrinnbauer
    kathrinnbauer Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    While I agree, some wiki articles should be taken with a grain of salt - I don't see it being any less reliable than the majority of information outlets....including this very message board.

Also the wiki article includes about 29 references to fun stuff like scientific studies etc... Often a wiki article is a great jumping off point for people to start their own research.

I have been burned by that site way too many times to go back.

Hmm, I really wonder why that might be.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some people need to take the stick out of you know where. Overreaction alert!

Sound advice. We all can probably remember that the next time we ask a group of strangers to do our research for us, and when someone's thoughtful answer includes a source that we find unacceptable (despite most people considering it just fine for basic knowledge, and therefore no one else would have any idea that WE found it unacceptable), we give them a reasonable answer (including some gratitude that that person took the time to answer you) rather than "gee, thanks anyway, but obviously the homeless guy under the bridge is more knowledgeable than you."

As an aside, I additionally find that offensive in that just because someone is experiencing homelessness does not mean that they are unintelligent, often quite the opposite. Generalize much?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some people need to take the stick out of you know where. Overreaction alert!
    Best of luck on your weight loss journey.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    I'm sorry, but is this not a forum? Where one can ask opinions and share opinions? Well, that's all I did so freaking relax people!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not going to trust Wikipedia. I'll just ask the homeless guy under the bridge. Thanks anyway.
    You won't trust Wiki but you'll trust an internet message board.
    Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

All posts should include Jennifer Lawrence gifs.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but is this not a forum? Where one can ask opinions and share opinions? Well, that's all I did so freaking relax people!

Sure you can share your opinions. But expect a backlash when you act like a jerk.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I don't know where.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    While I agree, some wiki articles should be taken with a grain of salt - I don't see it being any less reliable than the majority of information outlets....including this very message board.

Also the wiki article includes about 29 references to fun stuff like scientific studies etc... Often a wiki article is a great jumping off point for people to start their own research.

I have been burned by that site way too many times to go back.

very accurate...next caller...

Hmm, I really wonder why that might be.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Yes, this is a forum.
    Yes, people can ask and share opinions.
    However, that does not excuse your reactions/responses in this thread and previous threads.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You won't trust Wiki but you'll trust an internet message board.
    Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

All posts should include Jennifer Lawrence gifs.

Seconded!

Any objections?

The motion carries.

b0b19c1a75c85eae_tumblr_mnjrzfcROd1sstxpso1_500.xxxlarge.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Take your own advice! Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Sugars are simple carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates, like you get from grains and most veggies, are not included in the sugar count. Most sugars end with "-ose" in the chemical name. Glucose, fructose, sucrose, lactose, etc...

this would be my answer.

Let me also add that it doesn't necessairly matter, all carbs are broken down into glucose, a sugar, in order to be absorbed into the blood stream.

What does matter is the glycemic index of the carb. the higher the GI, the faster the glucose will get into the blood stream and the more likely it is to trigger an insulin response (forcing the glucose in your blood to be stored as fat). and some of the 'complex' carbs actually have a much higher GI then most sugars.

but just keep it at or under your calorie goal and you really shouldn't have to worry about it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

i will take wikipedia over a guy under bridge…
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I don't know where.

sun-don-t-shine-boxer.jpg

hCFC67E29
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'll never understand the unwritten rules of conduct on this rediculous forum.

they don't seem too consistent
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Anticipating your next question….the stick is considered fiber.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Op, I know exactly how you feel. Here are some other sources of info. Some are web links and others are titles of books and articles to google. Hope they help, and good luck on your journey!

* Western Kentucky University (May 29, 2013). "WKU BIO 113 Carbohydrates" . wku.edu.
    * Eldra Pearl Solomon, Linda R. Berg, Diana W. Martin; Cengage Learning (2004). Biology . google.books.com. p. 52. ISBN 978-0534278281.
    * National Institute of Standards and Technology (2011). "Material Measurement Library D-erythro-Pentose, 2-deoxy-" . nist.gov.
    * Long Island University (May 29, 2013). "The Chemistry of Carbohydrates" . brooklyn.liu.edu.
    * Purdue University (May 29, 2013). "Carbohydrates: The Monosaccharides" . purdue.edu.
    * Flitsch, Sabine L.; Ulijn, Rein V (2003). "Sugars tied to the spot". Nature 421 (6920): 219–20. doi:10.1038/421219a . PMID 12529622 .
    * Maton, Anthea; Jean Hopkins, Charles William McLaughlin, Susan Johnson, Maryanna Quon Warner, David LaHart, Jill D. Wright (1993). Human Biology and Health. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA: Prentice Hall. pp. 52–59. ISBN 0-13-981176-1.
    * John Merle Coulter, Charler Reid Barnes, Henry Chandler Cowles (1930), A Textbook of Botany for Colleges and Universities "
    * Carl A. Burtis, Edward R. Ashwood, Norbert W. Tietz (2000), Tietz fundamentals of clinical chemistry
    * Matthews, C. E.; K. E. Van Holde; K. G. Ahern (1999) Biochemistry. 3rd edition. Benjamin Cummings. ISBN 0-8053-3066-6
    * Campbell, Neil A.; Brad Williamson; Robin J. Heyden (2006). Biology: Exploring Life . Boston, Massachusetts: Pearson Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-250882-6.
    * Pigman, Ward; Horton, D. (1972). "Chapter 1: Stereochemistry of the Monosaccharides". In Pigman and Horton. The Carbohydrates: Chemistry and Biochemistry Vol 1A (2nd ed.). San Diego: Academic Press. pp. 1–67.
    * Pigman, Ward; Anet, E.F.L.J. (1972). "Chapter 4: Mutarotations and Actions of Acids and Bases". In Pigman and Horton. The Carbohydrates: Chemistry and Biochemistry Vol 1A (2nd ed.). San Diego: Academic Press. pp. 165–194.
    * http://www.fao.org/docrep/006/y5022e/y5022e04.htm
    * http://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/How we help/catalogue/carb-reference-list-0511.pdf
    * a b Westman, EC (2002). "Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition?". The American journal of clinical nutrition 75 (5): 951–3; author reply 953–4. PMID 11976176 .
    * Park, Y; Subar, AF; Hollenbeck, A; Schatzkin, A (2011). "Dietary fiber intake and mortality in the NIH-AARP diet and health study" . Archives of internal medicine 171 (12): 1061–8. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2011.18 . PMC 3513325 . PMID 21321288 .
    * http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.full.pdf+html
    * http://www.jneurosci.org/content/23/13/5928.full
    * http://www.nature.com/jcbfm/journal/v33/n2/abs/jcbfm2012151a.html
    * MedBio.info > Integration of Metabolism Professor em. Robert S. Horn, Oslo, Norway. Retrieved on May 1, 2010. [1]
    * Pichon, L; Huneau, JF; Fromentin, G; Tomé, D (2006). "A high-protein, high-fat, carbohydrate-free diet reduces energy intake, hepatic lipogenesis, and adiposity in rats". The Journal of nutrition 136 (5): 1256–60. PMID 16614413 .
    * Tighe, P; Duthie, G; Vaughan, N; Brittenden, J; Simpson, WG; Duthie, S; Mutch, W; Wahle, K; Horgan, G; Thies, F. (2010). "Effect of increased consumption of whole-grain foods on blood pressure and other cardiovascular risk markers in healthy middle-aged persons: a randomized, controlled trial". The American journal of clinical nutrition 92 (4): 733–40. doi:10.3945/ajcn.2010.29417 . PMID 20685951 .
    * Food and Nutrition Board (2002/2005). Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids . Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press. Page 769 . ISBN 0-309-08537-3.
    * Joint WHO/FAO expert consultation (2003). [2] (PDF). Geneva: World Health Organization. pp. 55–56. ISBN 92-4-120916-X.
    * Joint WHO/FAO expert consultation (1998), Carbohydrates in human nutrition, chapter 1 . ISBN 92-5-104114-8.
    * a b "Carbohydrates" . The Nutrition Source. Harvard School of Public Health. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
    * Jenkins, David; Alexandra L. Jenkins, Thomas M.S. Woleve, Lilian H. Thompson and A. Venkat Rao (February 1986). "Simple and Complex Carbohydrates". Nutrition Reviews 44 (2).
    * DHHS and USDA, Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010

By the way, this poster got this list of credible references from *gasp* Wikipedia! Oh Noes!!!

Are those unreliable?

I think this guy wrote the article so it should be fine
    homeless-man-goes-online.jpg
    hey, that guy asked me for five bucks the other day!