Advice for a Juicing Virgin?

Options
124»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

There's nothing inherently wrong with juicing, but there is PLENTY inherently wrong with the "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" juicing plan thing. I strongly recommend that people avoid said forum, book, and plan.

It happens to be the name of the group, I joined. There are hardcore juicing addicts in there to be sure.... mostly the ones who had mega 'detox' plans, and then disappeared.... I like to consider myself to be the 'voice of reason...' and there are many there who just 'chip...' a juice a day, or whatever... so don't let the Fat Sick and Nearly Dead moniker steer you away.... 'come on in, the water's fine....' and 'the first one is always free.....'

:wink:

"The voice of reason" doesn't recommend daily calorie deficits of 1600 or more calories. That is in fact strictly against the MFP rules.

If you're referring to this....
    Day 9 161 lbs. Total loss 2 lbs. I'm gonna guess that's about the final stopping place. I'll keep weighing to see, though.

Current take on the three days of The Sloth 3 Day Detox Diet ® ?

Pretty much.... meh..... did feel somewhat 'rebooted....' that is, less cravings, and so far, appetite seems a bit lower. Not the easiest way, or the most sensible to lose 2 lbs. I guess I'd give it a 5 out of 10. In other words, can't say I'd strongly recommend it, but I doubt it did me any harm.

My final words were that I wouldn't strongly recommend it.... so I think that quoting me that I recommended it, wouldn't be accurate. I did that as a personal experiment, and simply posted my results, so others could see. I think in that thread, I also used the term 'fail' at one point?

Unless you're just referring to 'juice fasts' in general... ?

You said you wouldn't strongly recommend it, which means you may recommend it.

Let's remove any doubt: "the voice of reason" would not run 1600+ calorie daily deficits. That's a terrible idea, and it's against the MFP rules. "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" is a BS farce of a film that makes ludicrous, unhealthy dietary recommendations and is full of misinformation. I recommend strongly against it and against the group associated with the film.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have a theory that the 'energy boost' people feel from juicing is part blood sugar spike, part placebo effect. No one reports an energy boost from a multi-vitamin or a nice salad.

If I was a nutrition student I would do a blind test where some got green sugar water labelled 'fresh juice' and some got actual fresh juice, and compare the feelings after. And also compare the feelings of those with real fresh-squeezed juice to those who cut the produce themselves, drank the juice and cleaned the juicer. I think the process makes you feel virtuous and like it better have done something good, so you feel good.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have a theory that the 'energy boost' people feel from juicing is part blood sugar spike, part placebo effect. No one reports an energy boost from a multi-vitamin or a nice salad.

If I was a nutrition student I would do a blind test where some got green sugar water labelled 'fresh juice' and some got actual fresh juice, and compare the feelings after. And also compare the feelings of those with real fresh-squeezed juice to those who cut the produce themselves, drank the juice and cleaned the juicer. I think the process makes you feel virtuous and like it better have done something good, so you feel good.

Good point. No one feels healthy and full of energy after eating a carrot. But.. if you juice the carrot..... MAGIC!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

There's nothing inherently wrong with juicing, but there is PLENTY inherently wrong with the "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" juicing plan thing. I strongly recommend that people avoid said forum, book, and plan.

It happens to be the name of the group, I joined. There are hardcore juicing addicts in there to be sure.... mostly the ones who had mega 'detox' plans, and then disappeared.... I like to consider myself to be the 'voice of reason...' and there are many there who just 'chip...' a juice a day, or whatever... so don't let the Fat Sick and Nearly Dead moniker steer you away.... 'come on in, the water's fine....' and 'the first one is always free.....'

:wink:

"The voice of reason" doesn't recommend daily calorie deficits of 1600 or more calories. That is in fact strictly against the MFP rules.

If you're referring to this....
    Day 9 161 lbs. Total loss 2 lbs. I'm gonna guess that's about the final stopping place. I'll keep weighing to see, though.

Current take on the three days of The Sloth 3 Day Detox Diet ® ?

Pretty much.... meh..... did feel somewhat 'rebooted....' that is, less cravings, and so far, appetite seems a bit lower. Not the easiest way, or the most sensible to lose 2 lbs. I guess I'd give it a 5 out of 10. In other words, can't say I'd strongly recommend it, but I doubt it did me any harm.

My final words were that I wouldn't strongly recommend it.... so I think that quoting me that I recommended it, wouldn't be accurate. I did that as a personal experiment, and simply posted my results, so others could see. I think in that thread, I also used the term 'fail' at one point?

Unless you're just referring to 'juice fasts' in general... ?

You said you wouldn't strongly recommend it, which means you may recommend it.

Let's remove any doubt: "the voice of reason" would not run 1600+ calorie daily deficits. That's a terrible idea, and it's against the MFP rules. "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" is a BS farce of a film that makes ludicrous, unhealthy dietary recommendations and is full of misinformation. I recommend strongly against it and against the group associated with the film.

When you refer to the MFP rules... I assume you are citing this one:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

So, while in my opinion, I wasn't 'promoting' an unsafe weight-loss technique... I was simply 'testing' it... on myself.

promotion

pro·mo·tion
    [pruh-moh-shuhn]
    noun

furtherance or encouragement.

something devised to publicize or advertise a product, cause, institution, etc., as a brochure, free sample, poster, television or radio commercial, or personal appearance.

I've deleted the irrelevant meanings from the quote. I really don't think that 2) applies to me, I don't feel I encouraged anyone to try what I did. You might be able to make a case that 5) applies.... if you consider that I did 'publicize' what I was doing.

It was never my intention to 'promote' anyone else to try what I did.... I was simply in another thread, which prompted to me to question one of the standard MFP mantras.... and for the most part, I was left feeling very on the fence about the results. And that's what I tried to convey.
  • persistandendure
    Options
    I'm going by what has happened to me and my friends, plus material that I have read. Do what works for you.