paleo finishes last of public rankings of 2013's best diets

Options
124»

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I was a little surprised the Paleo diet was ranked dead last. Despite being based on bad science and overly restrictive, it actually does seem to be a healthy way to eat. Healthier than some of the higher ranked ones at least...

Ditto.

I think much like vegetarian and vegan diets (which actually scored relatively high) it can be easy to do it wrong and miss key nutrients if one isn't educated on the diet (and really that applies to anyone's choice in eating). I believe that would be another potential reason it scored low according to the experts.

I personally have no problems with the diet itself, but the ideology gets ludicous in a hurry with some followers.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I was a little surprised the Paleo diet was ranked dead last. Despite being based on bad science and overly restrictive, it actually does seem to be a healthy way to eat. Healthier than some of the higher ranked ones at least...

Ditto.

I think much like vegetarian and vegan diets (which actually scored relatively high) it can be easy to do it wrong and miss key nutrients if one isn't educated on the diet (and really that applies to anyone's choice in eating). I believe that would be another potential reason it scored low according to the experts.

I personally have no problems with the diet itself, but the ideology gets ludicous in a hurry with some followers.

I see and agree about getting proper nutrition for the most part, but that's an issue with almost any diet. Rarely do people adhere 100%, even those who claim to.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    i'd personally try going vegan, but i can't seem to get a straight answer on just how many days per week i'd be allowed to eat meat. if it's too few, then it wouldn't be practical for me... but if meat is allowed 3 days a week, i think i could be a vegan.

The whole point of being vegan is to not partake in animal products. period.
  • _John_
    Options

I see and agree about getting proper nutrition for the most part, but that's an issue with almost any diet. Rarely do people adhere 100%, even those who claim to.

and i posted that because the 3 diets listed "restrict" something...whereas many of the other diets you may not have to "eat around" a certain restriction. Also, the more open diets you're still able to eat the same healthy foods that make vegetarian, vegan or paleo diets a successful choice for some people.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Ditto.

Yes... yes it is. I do find it funny certain foods are off limits because they weren't eaten by paleolithic humans (even though they probably were)... but fruits and vegetables that didn't even exist in their current forms during that time are okay to eat.

I thought vegan was even more difficult to do right and not miss key nutrients than paleo.
  • SapiensPisces
    Options

and i posted that because the 3 diets listed "restrict" something...whereas many of the other diets you may not have to "eat around" a certain restriction. Also, the more open diets you're still able to eat the same healthy foods that make vegetarian, vegan or paleo diets a successful choice for some people.

Okay, I see your argument now, and that makes sense.

I suppose I'm just surprised to see Slimfast, Jenny Craig, and Nutrisystem, all of which are focused around pre-packaged meals being ranked so high. Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem are both really expensive programs too, and I'm surprised that didn't reduce the "easy to follow" metric by quite a bit.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    i'd personally try going vegan, but i can't seem to get a straight answer on just how many days per week i'd be allowed to eat meat. if it's too few, then it wouldn't be practical for me... but if meat is allowed 3 days a week, i think i could be a vegan.

Still laughing about this one.... if broccoli were allowed 3 times a week, I could go broccoli-free.:tongue:
  • _John_
    Options

I suppose I'm just surprised to see Slimfast, Jenny Craig, and Nutrisystem, all of which are focused around pre-packaged meals being ranked so high. Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem are both really expensive programs too, and I'm surprised that didn't reduce the "easy to follow" metric by quite a bit.

just to put it bluntly, i think they scored high because they are an easy way for an idiot to restrict calories. Simple as that.
  • SapiensPisces
    Options

just to put it bluntly, i think they scored high because they are an easy way for an idiot to restrict calories. Simple as that.

LOL true. Idiot proof is good.

Thanks for posting this though. I'm digging through some of the detailed commentary on each of these now. A lot of these diet plans I never heard of.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trainingman123
    trainingman123 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad diet if you want to gain muscle mass. I tried it for a while but gets expensive.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Jenny Craig, Slimfast, and Nutrisystem beat paleo?
    On what planet is processed, chemical-laden crap better than unprocessed food with an emphasis on lean protein and veggies?
    I'm not saying lets be cavemen, but in my book Slimfast= low cal McDonalds and Nutrisystem= low cal tv dinner.
    Show me the stats in 50 years of who lived longer then we'll talk!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

rmtxc3.gif
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that the Paleo Diet was that low. I do know that Nutrisystem food is gross. It seems like they're both expensive.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Why go on a diet? Where did the good old "portion control " go?

I prefer portion control rather than restrictive diets(by restrictive i don't mean only calories). Not that paleo seems bad but personally I can't find a reason to eliminate foods from my diet and red meat every day doesn't seem very healthy to me.. Diets for weightloss (acid/alkaline,atkins,dukan and so on) are silly imo. Just calories in<calories out and trying to add more healthy foods in my diet is enough for me.

This site really needs a "Like" button for posts.