Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My mistake in starting this discussion was thinking that more people would want to confront that fear, to actually venture beyond their own notion of what they were capable of, and come away with a f-ckng win.

Last year, the moment I crossed that invisible line in the gym was terrifying. I was the dumpy, middle-aged mommy who had been getting in my own way for years. I was a throwaway, in my mind. Not even worth ridiculing. I was a monument to unrealized potential, paralyzed by fear of failure, and of success. Sound a little dramatic for someone making a choice to just walk over to the weights section? Judging by the lengths to which people will go to avoid it, I don't think so.

My life has been absolutely transformed by that moment, that one decision. I was manic for the next several days. Then over the next year I began to test my capabilities in other arenas of my life, and soon found a love of moving that self-set limitation farther and farther away, until I just don't think about limits anymore. This has completely revived my career, made me a better partner to my husband, a better mother, daughter, friend. Now, I only think of what I want to do next, come up with a plan to get there, and execute. No wolves at my heels, no meanies in my head. If there are real people making fun of what I do, *shrug* I can't see 'em from up here.

And it all started with a squat rack and a little girl who didn't want to be comfortable in her safe-bet life anymore.

When you have that moment, the first thing you want to do is make sure every other person on the planet gets to have theirs. Even, and I'd venture especially, someone taking those first steps in Planet Fitness. The idea that anyone could miss out on their moment because they're never in a position to be scared, but do it anyway, makes me sad. Seeing those same people cling willfully to and argue for their right to be deprived of the chance to be brave and awesome pisses me off. So,
    2wqhi60.gif

*applause*
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    You must be reading totally different things from what many of us are reading here on MFP.

I think the interpretation depends on what you think and believe. The anti PF people are never going to see anything but what they want to see when it comes to PF. The pro PF people are not going to see anything but what they want to see when it comes to PF.

This is a remarkably myopic and shallow belief in how (many) people engage in a rational discussion. While I agree that confirmation bias exists, that doesn't mean that both sides of an issue are incapable of seeing and understanding the opposing point of view.

I wonder if perhaps you are projecting more than you are analyzing others.
    Either way, there are folks here who belong to PF and find it to be perfectly adequate for what they want out of a gym. Some of us have belonged to other gyms in the past, I know I've belonged to different gyms for the past 20 years, PF being the most current and I've belonged there for almost 6 years.

And people are not primarily debating the adequacy of a gym. The discussion is much deeper than mere adequacy of a particular facility/chain.

Indeed, it would appear that we truly *are* reading different things here...

...or at least at a different level of understanding.

Actually, it's quite an accurate belief in how (many) people are engaging in THIS discussion. I don't think my observation should be considered myopic or shallow. But whatever...

If PF offends you and you don't want to spend your money there, nobody is forcing you to do so.

If they do nothing else right (or wrong), they sure do get a lot of press on the forums at MFP, that's for sure!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am a PF member and pretty much go there to get in cardio, but also have another gym membership in a gym that has real weights and squat racks. I spoke with the trainer(PF) about why they are not serious about weight lifting and all. His "unofficial" comment away from the customer service and management as to why they push cardio so much is that if they put the focus solely on cardio that people do not see that much difference in their physique and they give up after a while and move on....thus being stuck in the year long contract, but creating the revolving door of members. The gym will never be packed, but they make their money. It is good for those that are looking for cardio machines and things of that nature, but if you are looking for plyo, serious weights, etc...then it is not a great fit.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    1526892_775719342455469_1958692588_n.jpg

Lets face it. Nobody is using the squat rack anyways.

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I just told my sister to join this gym because they opened a new one on Wall Street. She is very intimidated by muscular people and does not lift seriously so I thought this was the perfect place for her. I think she is more interested in the unlimited hydro massage than a squat rack. Sadly there are many with this viewpoint.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

Agreed!

And again....that's not what those threads said, and again....I guess we'll just go with it.

You must be reading totally different things from what many of us are reading here on MFP.

I think the interpretation depends on what you think and believe. The anti PF people are never going to see anything but what they want to see when it comes to PF. The pro PF people are not going to see anything but what they want to see when it comes to PF.

Either way, there are folks here who belong to PF and find it to be perfectly adequate for what they want out of a gym. Some of us have belonged to other gyms in the past, I know I've belonged to different gyms for the past 20 years, PF being the most current and I've belonged there for almost 6 years.

There are folks who belong to other gyms and find those gyms perfectly adequate for what they want out of a gym.

No harm, no foul.

Exactly! To each their own...hey they are all trying to get healthier...why judge each others way of doing it? If you don't like a particular gym or the people it attracts, don't go there. I agree that it can be intimidating going to the gym but I go for me not for anyone else. We are all in this together...cant we all just get along?
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The ones I used to goto didnt have squat racks. or barbells
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    hmm didn't realize they were so bad...I'm glad I use the Y with the rest of the lunks.

Yep.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

i admit that this happens a lot. i hate it and would burn every one of those threads to the ground if i had time. i'm pretty consistent on crushing the OP when i see one of those threads.

buuuuuut, no one in those threads is actually suggesting that anyone openly mock the new people to their face or lay hands upon anyone. so by refusing to go to a "regular" gym you're basically saying that you're scared of thoughts.

.....and what makes you think that no one at your local PF doesn't have ill thoughts about you? are PF goers a monolith?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hooray for mediocrity.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hooray for mediocrity.

I'm waiting for the gym where they just lipo this **** off.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hooray for mediocrity.

The eventual discovery of a way to do this non-invasively will be a many-multi-billion dollar industry.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hooray for mediocrity.

The eventual discovery of a way to do this non-invasively will be a many-multi-billion dollar industry.

Cryolipolysis
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hooray for mediocrity.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27540-1366762195-9_zps319aea3f.gif

:laugh:
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    Hooray for mediocrity.

and a non judgmental one. That's key of course.

Maybe they could do like a Soylent Green kind of thing, you know make it all eco friendly AND judgment free.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hooray for mediocrity.

and a non judgmental one. That's key of course.

Maybe they could do like a Soylent Green kind of thing, you know make it all eco friendly AND judgment free.
    No the key is to claim to be judgement free while actually looking down your nose at the people you imagine to be judging you.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

i admit that this happens a lot. i hate it and would burn every one of those threads to the ground if i had time. i'm pretty consistent on crushing the OP when i see one of those threads.

buuuuuut, no one in those threads is actually suggesting that anyone openly mock the new people to their face or lay hands upon anyone. so by refusing to go to a "regular" gym you're basically saying that you're scared of thoughts.

.....and what makes you think that no one at your local PF doesn't have ill thoughts about you? are PF goers a monolith?

Ironically I find that these threads are mostly started by the 'nouveau-fit' - those that have been going to the gym for less than a year themselves.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options

Ironically I find that these threads are mostly started by the 'nouveau-fit' - those that have been going to the gym for less than a year themselves.

Im still pondering where these gyms with mean people are.I'm 47, been in gyms all over the USA at all different times of the day and have yet to encounter supposed lunkage. There is the occasional guy that's a little silly but those dudes are like strutting roosters and something to look at between sets.

I agree with the poster who said the intimidation is between ones own ears and they need to own and examine that. Even the whole supposed girl in the weight room thing. I find that people who are dedicated to anything are thrilled to help anyone who is interested. And if they don't want to help, they don't go over and kick sand in your face, FFS.

Edited for auto correct
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

agreed. i remember one "oh noes here come the resolutioners" thread that was started by someone with a jan 2012 start date. not sure if it's that people forget what it was like to get started or if they think they are part of the cool kids now but either way it's hella annoying
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Im still pondering where these gyms with mean people are.I'm 47, been in gyms all over the USA at all different times of the day and have yet to encounter supposed lunkage. There is the occasional guy that's a little silly but those dudes are like strutting roosters and something to look at between sets.

I agree with the poster who said the intimidation is between ones own ears and they need to own and examine that. Even the whole supposed girl in the weight room thing. I fond that people who are decimated to anything are thrilled to help anyone who is interested. And if they don't want to help, they don't go over and kick sand in your face, FFS.

Agreed. I'm a guy with a pretty slight build, and I only recently started in the freeweights section. My lifts are pretty puny compared to others there, and frankly if ever there was a target it's a guy lifting 'girl weights'. But far from derision, judgement or ridicule, most people have been very friendly. The people that aren't friendly are just indifferent, and frankly I haven't spoke to them just as they haven't spoken to me, so I can hardly judge them for that.

I find that people are fairly serious and focused on what they are doing, but as soon as you talk to them for whatever reason, like asking for a spot, they'll open up and chat - at least for a minute until the next set :laugh:

And one time when I did fail a squat quite badly - went over forward and was saved by the pins - there was genuine concern that I had torn something. When I said I just screwed up and lost my balance, we chuckled about it and all went back to what we were doing.